Rider other side of road....look over........NO REACTION..!!

Sunderland Supporter
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Ive exchanged waves, smiles & pleasantries with many cyclists whom I dont know who are coming towards me on the other side of the road and its nice , friendly and the right thing to do. Ive also looked over at riders who have seen me , blanked me and rode on like a horse with blinkers on .

I think thats the height of ignorance and bad manners, do you exchange waves and recognition yourself or cycle on with no reaction whatsoever ? If you are the 2nd type rider.................why so ?
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Must be at least 3 weeks since we had a waving thread. A new record I'd say.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Dude was probably just out trying to enjoy his ride and couldn't be arssed to wave at some random guy just because he's also on a bike.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Perhaps you were riding so fast he din't see you :?:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Perhaps he was concentrating too hard on counting the teeth on your second biggest sprocket.

With respect, and I do let on to other cyclists, why do people care when others don't?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I wave to everyone on a bike when I'm on my bike. But then again, when I'm walking I also wave and say hello to every other pedestrian I see (this is quite knackering in central Leeds!) - sometimes they ignore me though which I think is terribly rude. :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wave to everyone on a bike when I'm on my bike. But then again, when I'm walking I also wave and say hello to every other pedestrian I see (this is quite knackering in central Leeds!) - sometimes they ignore me though which I think is terribly rude. :(
    Your life must truly be a see-saw of emotions - anguish when you are ignored time and again and then, just when you plan never to wave again, a kindred spirit responds to your welcome and you are strengthened to continue along the road.
  • Bus drivers and long distance lorry drivers, they see each other on A roads, town roads and motorways and they ALWAYS flash the lights , its good manners, polite and its just nice. The ones doing the blanking and pretending they dont see people are just dour, miserable gits who are probably as much fun to be with as heading out on a wet night in grimethorpe.It would be very sad if a proportion of cyclists believed being an ignorant basterd was part of the cycling package.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    What about moving into the centre of the road for a high-five?

By the way, ignorant doesn't mean what you think it does. :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Perhaps you were riding so fast he din't see you :?:

LOL, other riders have no problems seeing me :lol:
  • Sunderland Supporter
    edited April 2012

:wink: I got my GCE English O level in 3rd year , probably 2 years before you did buddy, aint nowt wrong with my understanding of the english language :roll:

why do so many BR threads get sidetracked by wise guys, why cant we just discuss an issue here ?......any issue about anything whatsoever without the usual quota of smart@rses looking for a soapbox to stand on :roll: :roll:
  • nathancom
    Because it isn't an issue.
  • nathancom wrote:

Respectfully disagree 500%

Are you representative of the horse with blinkers on type cyclist then ?
  • What about moving into the centre of the road for a high-five?

:wink: I got my GCE English O level in 3rd year , probably 2 years before you did buddy, aint nowt wrong with my understanding of the english language :roll:

why do so many BR threads get sidetracked by wise guys, why cant we just discuss an issue here ?
    Because you present yourself as an utter dick. Get yourself some emotional intelligence and accept we're all different.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Calm down. I was merely pointing out that being ignorant has nothing to do with ignoring people (which seemed to be how you were using it given the context).

Back on topic, I'd have to be constantly waving as I commute through Central London. :D
  • nathancom
    edited April 2012
    nathancom wrote:

Are you representative of the horse with blinkers on type cyclist then ?
    No, I am a representative of real life and that if people don't want to wave at you then there is nothing wrong with them, they simply don't want to wave at every stranger they come across.

We don't live in the 1800's where everyone knew everyone else that they came across. Most of us come from fairly urban areas and it is not normal behaviour for city dwellers to greet strangers who they are unlikely ever to meet again.

I don't know what to suggest as a solution for you since time travel is out of the question.
  • What about moving into the centre of the road for a high-five?

why do so many BR threads get sidetracked by wise guys, why cant we just discuss an issue here ?
    Because you present yourself as an utter dick. Get yourself some emotional intelligence and accept we're all different.

emotional intelligence...........................did you create this "freud" ?
  • Sunderland Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Question to those who DO NOT exchange pleasantries with other cyclists

Do you live SOUTH of the Watford Gap ?

Ive cycled in scotland , ne england, nw england, english midlands and northern ireland and its almost a greetings fest, waves from strangers and all that.Ive even cycled in the Canaries and had waves from "bloody foreigners " , so Im intrigued as to where this ignore other cyclists zone is geographically located :?
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Scooterists do it, bikers do it, even some car drivers do it(thinking of Vw Beatles ect).Its good to have some camaraderie. To feel part of a group is human nature and makes me feel good :) . I nod if i see other cyclist in time and if they dont respond i figure they must be consentrating and are in the zone,or are miserable sods and may even think themselves better than me :roll: , makes no odds im enjoying being a cyclist and being part of a group.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I have to get off every time and give them a man hug. Is this why my average is only 7mph?
    Peter
  • DF33 wrote:
    I have to get off every time and give them a man hug. Is this why my average is only 7mph?

oo`errrrrr ,excuse me next time if I blank YOU, im not THAT kind of fella :lol:
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Ive exchanged waves, smiles & pleasantries with many cyclists whom I dont know who are coming towards me on the other side of the road and its nice , friendly and the right thing to do. Ive also looked over at riders who have seen me , blanked me and rode on like a horse with blinkers on .

I think thats the height of ignorance and bad manners, do you exchange waves and recognition yourself or cycle on with no reaction whatsoever ? If you are the 2nd type rider.................why so ?
    OOh you are rapidly becoming my fave forumwhore :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Ive exchanged waves, smiles & pleasantries with many cyclists whom I dont know who are coming towards me on the other side of the road and its nice , friendly and the right thing to do. Ive also looked over at riders who have seen me , blanked me and rode on like a horse with blinkers on .

OOh you are rapidly becoming my fave forumwhore :wink:

I dont know what a "forumwhore" is.......................explanation please , I dont stand on street corners in short leopard skin mini skirt and hoop earrings.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197

Didn't get your maths O level at all, then ? ;)
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Being an exiled Geordie, I tend to be on the side of the wavers and the "areet?" shouters.

SS, you're a cheerful Makum, a bit like a happy Geordie (but obviously lower down the food chain being south of the Tyne) and I agree that the syndrome of being a miserable git has more to do with being a southerner than anything else. Even having a southerner as a distant relative can carry this sort of trait through a family tree for generations.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Cyclists not responding to my nod/smile/wave doesn't bother me too much. The majority do wave back.

What really winds me up in when in the car, stopping to let an oncoming car through and thay just drive straight past with no thanks or FA. That really anoys me.

Sorry to go off topic but it seems a good a place as any to vent my frustration. :x
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • 25pmgbn.jpg

Have a look at the captions, the last one sums it up.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    25pmgbn.jpg

Have a look at the captions, the last one sums it up.
    Love it, made me smile :D:D:D
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Like that :D
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347

why do so many BR threads get sidetracked by wise guys, why cant we just discuss an issue here ?......any issue about anything whatsoever without the usual quota of smart@rses looking for a soapbox to stand on :roll: :roll:
    Because it isnt an issue its just another of your nonsensical useless posted for the sake for posting threads.
    Wave at others if you want, but if they dont wave back, guess what IT DOESNT MATTER, and it surely doesnt deserve yet another thread on the damn subject!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What Bruce said.