Rider other side of road....look over........NO REACTION..!!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nathancom wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wave to everyone on a bike when I'm on my bike. But then again, when I'm walking I also wave and say hello to every other pedestrian I see (this is quite knackering in central Leeds!) - sometimes they ignore me though which I think is terribly rude. :(
    Your life must truly be a see-saw of emotions - anguish when you are ignored time and again and then, just when you plan never to wave again, a kindred spirit responds to your welcome and you are strengthened to continue along the road.

It is - I never know if I should be firing off party poppers or snivelling into a Kleenex. I'm an emotional wreck! :lol::cry::| (see!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chamomile-tea-acne.jpg

Brucie, I bought you this chamomile tea, I think it will calm you down :lol:
    BruceG wrote:
    Because it isnt an issue its just another of your nonsensical useless posted for the sake for posting threads.
    Wave at others if you want, but if they dont wave back, guess what IT DOESNT MATTER, and it surely doesnt deserve yet another thread on the damn subject!
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    BruceG wrote:
    What about moving into the centre of the road for a high-five?

By the way, ignorant doesn't mean what you think it does. :wink:

why do so many BR threads get sidetracked by wise guys, why cant we just discuss an issue here ?......any issue about anything whatsoever without the usual quota of smart@rses looking for a soapbox to stand on :roll: :roll:
    Because it isnt an issue its just another of your nonsensical useless posted for the sake for posting threads.
    Wave at others if you want, but if they dont wave back, guess what IT DOESNT MATTER, and it surely doesnt deserve yet another thread on the damn subject![/quote

What does it matter what anyone posts. It's a public forum. Why get involved and be critical when surely you could choose to ignore it if you are not interested or find it a repeat of a thread raised many times before. There are hundreds of subjects and questions posted on here. Do you go on everyone that is of no interest to you to criticise the op for posting it in the first place? Do you rant at every post that you see that has been posted previously? Or is it that this op winds you up and you can't help yourself but to have a go? All said and done its great sport and often very entertaining to see and added value to any forum post :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • ALaPlage
    chamomile-tea-acne.jpg

Brucie, I bought you this chamomile tea, I think it will calm you down :lol:
    BruceG wrote:
    Wave at others if you want, but if they dont wave back, guess what IT DOESNT MATTER, and it surely doesnt deserve yet another thread on the damn subject!

Top response that man :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Brucie , please put me on your foe list , I mean please do it right this minute. I have to go to bed tonight and if I thought I was upsetting you..........well,its gonna be a long night for me. Like the other fella pointed out, its a discussion medium for bike enthusiasts, if something bugs you , then do as others choose to do,myself included, and move onto to something that IS of interest.

Now, add me to your foe list please.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • ALaPlage wrote:
    What does it matter what anyone posts. It's a public forum...
    and therefore renders all your rhetoric moot for if it's of no matter what someone posts on a public forum then it must equally not matter what responses others post on that same forum. Except there are forum rules, several of which the OP failed to follow in their desperation to share something unoriginal, a bit like the need of teenagers to talk about sex as if they're the first generation to discover it.
    All said and done its great sport and often very entertaining to see and added value to any forum post :D
    Don't those last comments rather contradict your previous point? :lol: Anyway, it is a great sport and activity but there's no need for people to get wound up about such trivial things that have no real impact on them and believe that others should think and act as they do - this isn't Community Chat afterall!
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Brucie , please put me on your foe list , I mean please do it right this minute. I have to go to bed tonight and if I thought I was upsetting you..........well,its gonna be a long night for me. Like the other fella pointed out, its a discussion medium for bike enthusiasts, if something bugs you , then do as others choose to do,myself included, and move onto to something that IS of interest.

Now, add me to your foe list please.
    No I would rather that such a bizarre person as you had disturbed night. Take your own chamonile and tea and you might not feel the need to keep worrying when people dont wave back at you, or get confused between someeone offering advice or stating the obvious as per your other nonsensical thread
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    ALaPlage wrote:
    and therefore renders all your rhetoric moot for if it's of no matter what someone posts on a public forum then it must equally not matter what responses others post on that same forum. Except there are forum rules, several of which the OP failed to follow in their desperation to share something unoriginal, a bit like the need of teenagers to talk about sex as if they're the first generation to discover it.
    All said and done its great sport and often very entertaining to see and added value to any forum post :D
    Don't those last comments rather contradict your previous point? :lol: Anyway, it is a great sport and activity but there's no need for people to get wound up about such trivial things that have no real impact on them and believe that others should think and act as they do - this isn't Community Chat afterall!
    Now that is an even better response
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    He probably had a better bike than you, so you were not someone he wanted to aspire too 8)

I must say... in the sunny weather.. it is getting OTT
    I do consider myself a friendly rider, but after the 100'th wave on a Sunday morning, I can see both myself and my fellow 'waver' are getting a bit sick of it... maybe it's time to treat fellow roadies like roadies treat MTBers LOL
    Simon
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage wrote:

Exactly totally agree. You get the point exactly. Posts and replies as long as they fall within the rules are perfectly fine from both sides of the fence. The fun is seeing people get totally wound up over trivial things in life and where another's opinion differs from their own :)
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Some people wave, some people don't. It's not rude, it's not ignorant, it's just the way some people are. Deal with it.

I nod or raise a couple of fingers to acknowledge most cyclists (unless I'm chewing the front wheel on a climb), but really don't give a sh*t if they return the gesture.

Life's too short, just enjoy your ride.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just a minute....could he see you from the otherside of the Duel Carraigeway :?:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Wrong moron.
  • jim453 wrote:
    Wrong moron.

should that wisecrack not be for the guy who needs a beer :wink:
  • He probably had a better bike than you, so you were not someone he wanted to aspire too 8)

that type of rider is what is commonly perceived as "the club dick"

stands out a mile ,usually in a self grandiose, small self imposed holder of elite status. when you wade through all the bumph...........he /they are the guys nobody could be @rsed with. aspire to ?..........nah, nobody could be bothered, we just like to talk to people,not require that they are in awe of us and there is a reason they hang together in small numbers.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

that type of rider is what is commonly perceived as "the club dick"

stands out a mile ,usually in a self grandiose, small self imposed holder of elite status. when you wade through all the bumph...........he /they are the guys nobody could be @rsed with. aspire to ?..........nah, nobody could be bothered, we just like to talk to people,not require that they are in awe of us and there is a reason they hang together in small numbers.

Someone seems to have a cross to bear :roll:
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    This forum is a curious place. On the one hand there are people here or are very helpful and knowledgable and generous with their help and the time they take to write replies, and on the other hand there are folk who post who just downright unpleasant. The OP' original post was a fairly innocent question or observation that may or may not be of some interest to other readers of a public forum, but for some reason one or two folk have found the need to make remarks that are just rude and discourteous. I really don't understand why.

If the OP's post is irrelevant, it does not really matter, just ignore it if it irks you so, or if you feel,the need to comment about it do it without being rude, and don't rise to the bait if someone is rude back it's pointless and waste of time.

If no one posted on forums about subjects which interest them or others the forums would just die.

Vive et sine vivere.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    p9uma wrote:
    This forum is a curious place. On the one hand there are people here or are very helpful and knowledgable and generous with their help and the time they take to write replies, and on the other hand there are folk who post who just downright unpleasant. The OP' original post was a fairly innocent question or observation that may or may not be of some interest to other readers of a public forum, but for some reason one or two folk have found the need to make remarks that are just rude and discourteous. I really don't understand why.

If the OP's post is irrelevant, it does not really matter, just ignore it if it irks you so, or if you feel,the need to comment about it do it without being rude, and don't rise to the bait if someone is rude back it's pointless and waste of time.

If no one posted on forums about subjects which interest them or others the forums would just die.

Vive et sine vivere.

So are you saying that probably you think he/she didn't have a better bike???
    Simon
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I was driving my car the other day and I decided to wave at the guy in the car coming the other way. He didn't wave back and Now I'm broken hearted about the whole thing I might never drive a car again............

GET A LIFE.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I'm a casual nod type of guy and maybe a lift of my hand if I can see they have acknowledged me.

If you want strangers to acknowledge you get a dog. Where I walk mine all the dog walkers say hello to each other. There's plenty of people I have no idea of their names but know what their dog is called, or if it's aggressive or friendly.
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Simple answer: Don't wave. B******s to 'em. Society isn't what it used to be :)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Well said, p9uma :!: Indeed, there are some very pleasant/helpful folks...and some complete w*****s :)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    25pmgbn.jpg

Have a look at the captions, the last one sums it up.
    That's pretty funny.

For what it's worth, I always wave or nod and in general it is returned. In rural Australia where I've lived and ridden for years it was the done for everybody, car, truck, bicycle, anything on the road to give a wave in passing. In SE England, where I live now, things are far less folksy but among cyclists at least waving and acknowledging each other's presence on the road is pretty common.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Totally agree
  • p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Well said, p9uma :!: Indeed, there are some very pleasant/helpful folks...and some complete w*****s :)
    I don't know where this polarized world is that you both perceive. we are an homogeneous group but with a wide range of ideas, views and experiences and it's through sharing and questioning them that we learn and grow.

The OP' original post would have been a fairly innocent question or observation had they said, "I wave at people but they don't always wave back. Why is this and what do you do?". Unfortunately, the OP didn't do this but painted themselves as the victim of an injustice by someone who wasn't party to their game and sought to determine the rights and wrongs of the situation and of society as a whole in which the OP's view are correct.

The OP's post wasn't irrelevant just ill-considered and the homogeneous group responded to that. There's nothing wrong with people's freedom of expression, either within society or the forum, as long as others have the freedom to respond.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.
    Completely with you there. Some people just seem to search for excuses to be unpleasant. You would think they had been personally berated by the OP for not waving at him!

There's a very important issue being ignored here though, and that's how common other road cyclists are in the particular area / time you ride. To see the overwhelming significance of this you just need to imagine both extremes. Imagine if you had a retro fetish and rode a penny farthing on a daily basis, and one day on a country road in the middle of nowhere you saw someone else riding towards you also on a penny farthing, and this was the first time in 10 years of riding this had ever happened. If you didn't at least wave to the other bloke in that situation there would really be something wrong with you by any reasonable standards of normal human sociability, and I would maintain that he would be quite within his rights to consider you a miserable tosser. But now imagine that you are just riding your commuter bike to work in Amsterdam, and there are other cyclists passing every 2 or 3 seconds or so. If you started waving to each and every one of them you would quite rightly appear to be a few marbles short of a picnic.

The debate here entirely hinges around the fact that encountering other cyclists is much more common in some areas than in others, and also that different people have different thresholds when it comes to considering how rare an encounter has to be before it warrants a comradely wave.

Personally I try to proactively wave whenever the density of wavees means that I don't need to do so any more often than about once every 15 minutes on average. What gets me is not the people who don't wave back (they must just have a different threshold, or maybe they waved and I didn't notice) but the ones who stare pointedly at you and/or your bike without acknowledging you. That's just a bit weird I think.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    edited April 2012
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

I don't know where this polarized world is that you both perceive. we are an homogeneous group but with a wide range of ideas, views and experiences and it's through sharing and questioning them that we learn and grow.

The OP' original post would have been a fairly innocent question or observation had they said, "I wave at people but they don't always wave back. Why is this and what do you do?". Unfortunately, the OP didn't do this but painted themselves as the victim of an injustice by someone who wasn't party to their game and sought to determine the rights and wrongs of the situation and of society as a whole in which the OP's view are correct.

The OP's post wasn't irrelevant just ill-considered and the homogeneous group responded to that. There's nothing wrong with people's freedom of expression, either within society or the forum, as long as others have the freedom to respond.

I agree with you, and that I think was part of my point although I might not have expressed it properly. What my main point is though, that if one feels the need to express a view, which is what one is entitled to do, and is the whole point of forums, can it not be done in a civil manner, without resorting to insults, foul language and plain childish rudeness. When I joined this forum I thought at first it was friendly community sort of forum, all cyclist together one for all and all that, and actually mostly it is, but all to often someone sometimes feels the need to be unpleasant. Perhaps they think they are being amusing, I don't know.

At the risk sounding naive, which I am not, a little less unpleasantness would probably go a long way, after all cycling, discussing cycling, reading about cycling for most here is a fun and exciting hobby to be enjoyed, folk come here to informed, entertained and perhaps diverted from other woes, there is no need to make visits to websites disagreeable.

I occasionally look at how many people read some of these threads, and in some cases it's many hundreds, and in almost all of them it's only a few folk that post comments. I wonder if it's because the readers or lurkers feel uncomfortable about posting in case someone takes exception to their comment and may get flamed.

Is it that difficult to be nice? A question which is relevant to the OP. A little wave, not or gesture in greeting to a fellow cyclists is a nice thing to do, it's not an issue if they don't respond in kind, but it would be nice to be acknowledged with a frendly smile or nod. I mean how difficult can it be just to say hello.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The waving thing is as much a cultural/location specific thing as it is anything else.

Over in Cambridgeshire, people tend to wave since there aren't many proper roadies.

If I started waving in London every time I saw a roadie I'd never have my hand on the bars.

Now when I got back to Cambridge I don't wave some I'm used to London now - another roadie is no longer a novelty.

If a stranger doesn't wave back it's not because the stranger has an opinion of you either way. The stranger has just failed to engage in a wave. That's it! So don't take offence!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    For those who are unaware. SunderlandSupporter has posted several topics of this ilk, asked for advice or comments, then berated people who spent the time to answer him (myself included). Seemingly just because we didn't agree with his views. He comes out with ridiculous figures for his riding stats as if trying to impress.

This is where some of the 'negative' comments are coming from, he asks for advice/comments, then either ignores it completely and asks the same question on another part of the site, or gets upset and tells people they are less than helpful or are wrong.

He brings a lot of the negativity on himself.

Saying that, i started reading this post and was going to comment on my own observations, i.e. some do and some don't. it slightly annoys me when they don't.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • p9uma wrote:
    So are you saying that probably you think he/she didn't have a better bike???

one -upmanship obviously pays a very critical role in your life, if I buy a tonka toy car,you are quickly out buying ferrari 250 gto from nick mason of pink floyd just so as you can stand beside it and look smug with an aura of superiority. read what I said about club dicks.