Rider other side of road....look over........NO REACTION..!!

Comments

• wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    neeb wrote:

The debate here entirely hinges around the fact that encountering other cyclists is much more common in some areas than in others, and also that different people have different thresholds when it comes to considering how rare an encounter has to be before it warrants a comradely wave.

Personally I try to proactively wave whenever the density of wavees means that I don't need to do so any more often than about once every 15 minutes on average. What gets me is not the people who don't wave back (they must just have a different threshold, or maybe they waved and I didn't notice) but the ones who stare pointedly at you and/or your bike without acknowledging you. That's just a bit weird I think.

It is rumoured that the new Garmin devices will track 'Density of Wavee's' per ride, you will be able to set threshold tolerances linked to your HRM (registering an ignored wave as annoyance by interpreting small increases in heart rate with no increase in cadence, elevation or mph, or also an accepted wave by interpreting a decrease in heart rate with continued effort) thus recognising 'Wavee annoyance'.

This is something that Strava could use as a future challenge - Complete 500 'accepted waves' within 1000 miles.
  • quote] It is rumoured that the new Garmin devices will track 'Density of Wavee's' per ride, you will be able to set threshold tolerances linked to your HRM (registering an ignored wave as annoyance by interpreting small increases in heart rate with no increase in cadence, elevation or mph, or also an accepted wave by interpreting a decrease in heart rate with continued effort) thus recognising 'Wavee annoyance'.

This is something that Strava could use as a future challenge - Complete 500 'accepted waves' within 1000 miles.[/quote]

:D I suspect its also tied in with some green energy wave power scheme that Nick Clegg wanted the tories to do but was boll8cked up north where the poor people live - expect a hub wave power or crankset soon
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Romanes eunt domus.

Some people's sense of humour is more robust than other's. That can come across as rudeness, but isn't always meant as such.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    wardieboy wrote:
    It is rumoured that the new Garmin devices will track 'Density of Wavee's' per ride, you will be able to set threshold tolerances linked to your HRM (registering an ignored wave as annoyance by interpreting small increases in heart rate with no increase in cadence, elevation or mph, or also an accepted wave by interpreting a decrease in heart rate with continued effort) thus recognising 'Wavee annoyance'.

And Shimano are working on an electronic waving system so you don't have to wave yourself......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Being fashioned from the latest carbon fibre, my waves are laterally stiff while remaining vertically compliant.
  • So which one is SS?

hitler-youth.jpg
  • huge-hands.jpg

Here I am , and Im taking no chances that an oncoming cyclist wont see me waving at him.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    huge-hands.jpg

Here I am , and Im taking no chances that an oncoming cyclist wont see me waving at him.
    Very good - I like the fact you can laugh at yourself!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    slowsider wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Romanes eunt domus.

Some people's sense of humour is more robust than other's. That can come across as rudeness, but isn't always meant as such.

Romani ite domum
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Lets all understand that there is no reason for the evaluaton of rider coming towards you to acknowledge the fact that you are even in existence, should you feel the need to make them aware you exist, then it is wise to acknlowledge an on coming rider early and allow enough time to re-evaluate the situation and call them a c***t whilst they are in ear shot.

Dont moan, react.

atb
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    turboslave wrote:
    Lets all understand that there is no reason for the evaluaton of rider coming towards you to acknowledge the fact that you are even in existence, should you feel the need to make them aware you exist, then it is wise to acknlowledge an on coming rider early and allow enough time to re-evaluate the situation and call them a c***t whilst they are in ear shot.

Dont moan, react.

atb

F*ck me, where did you learn English ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Sunderland.
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    I feel one should apologize for ones use of the English vocabulary, got a couple of beers on board.

Until the end.......
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    jim453 wrote:
    Sunderland.

:lol:
  • slowsider
    p9uma wrote:
    slowsider wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Vive et sine vivere.

Romanes eunt domus.

Romani ite domum

8)
  • slowsider
    So which one is SS?

hitler-youth.jpg

Is one SS, one SD, the other two both HJ? ;)
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    A started riding a couple of years ago, always in the sticks, and would always nod or shout hello to passing riders, and they would always shout back. When I started commuting (by road bike) in the city I started waving and all other cyclists, and got a lot of funny looks, turns out commuting cyclists dont wave round these parts, and fair play to them. Moral of the story is, some do, some dont. End of.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • TanukiRider
    TanukiRider Posts: 444
    I think it all depends on what kind of ride you are on........ if Im out on a club run or a pootle on my own, I always nod or raise my hand........ but if Im out training, sometimes you are concentrating hard or trying to focus on anything but your legs hurting, then I most often dont. Probably because I dont even notice!
    Scott Addict R3
    Boardman CX 2014
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Two guys on road bikes passed by on the other side of the road this morning, I was tempted to wave, but didn't, then they both waved and said good morning, I was out for a walk, no bike! So I guess it depends where you live. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I decided I would conduct a social experiment this morning. My wife and I did a 40 mile bike ride, and I decieded I would give cheery hello to every cyclist I saw, regardless of type. Today I saw families out, loads of roadies, a couple on new hybrids, some old boy wearing jeans an anorach and trainers pedalling with his heals on an old workhorse, and a geezer on a recumbent going up Brill hill, as I was coming down it. Every one acknowledge my greeting in the spirit with which it was intended. I saw a few ladies out today power walking for charity too, I said as I was passing " looking good girls" which made one or two smile.

I'm not sure what this means exactly other than it costs nothing to say hello, and is quite a nice thing to do. But at the end of the day...it gets dark.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Ive exchanged waves, smiles & pleasantries with many cyclists whom I dont know who are coming towards me on the other side of the road and its nice , friendly and the right thing to do. Ive also looked over at riders who have seen me , blanked me and rode on like a horse with blinkers on .

I think thats the height of ignorance and bad manners, do you exchange waves and recognition yourself or cycle on with no reaction whatsoever ? If you are the 2nd type rider.................why so ?
    do you try and hug everyone?....

some people are training and don't really want to lose concentration in what they are doing. we're sorry if you feel upset by this,
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I only wave at riders with di2 and tubulars.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    p9uma wrote:
    I decided I would conduct a social experiment this morning. My wife and I did a 40 mile bike ride, and I decieded I would give cheery hello to every cyclist I saw, regardless of type. Today I saw families out, loads of roadies, a couple on new hybrids, some old boy wearing jeans an anorach and trainers pedalling with his heals on an old workhorse, and a geezer on a recumbent going up Brill hill, as I was coming down it. Every one acknowledge my greeting in the spirit with which it was intended. I saw a few ladies out today power walking for charity too, I said as I was passing " looking good girls" which made one or two smile.

I'm not sure what this means exactly other than it costs nothing to say hello, and is quite a nice thing to do. But at the end of the day...it gets dark.
    So true.

It costs nothing to say hello.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    I used to wave to everyone else on a bike when I was cycling but now I have RSI from typing responses to threads on this site about ignorant roadies who don't acknowledge you and can no longer wave :(
  • Pross
    Now if only everyone read the top topics on every sub-forum perhaps my waving hand would still be working!

The first two paragraphs:-
    There are a number of questions that get asked rather frequently in here. Re asking an already asked question tends to attract apathetic and disinterested answers. Reading the answers to an already answered question and commenting on them tends to attract much admiration and people willing to put inordinate amounts of effort in to helping you.

There is a search function on the forum (see where it says 'SEARCH' in big letters up and right) so please use it!

I just used the search function above 'members' and 'FAQ' towards the top right of the screen. Typed 'wave' into the search term, clicked on the road forum in the filter and ticked the thread title only box. Hey presto, 1 second later I found the following:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12833738&p=17420668&hilit=wave#p17420668

Who's have thought it, the subject has been done to death. There were also several others to choose from.

I wonder if anyone has ever done something on compulsory helmet use or what bike under £1000 before?
  • Hoopdriver
    Pross wrote:
    I used to wave to everyone else on a bike when I was cycling but now I have RSI from typing responses to threads on this site about ignorant roadies who don't acknowledge you and can no longer wave :(
    You could always nod... :-)
  • Pross
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    You could always nod... :-)

I've got a cricked neck from all the time spent on the internet responding to "Campag v Shimano" :lol:
  • Hoopdriver
    And arguing for SRAM? :-)
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    Been out this morning, and I passed a steady stream of TT-ers going in the opposite direction mid-competition.
    Was looking over just to be nosey and one guy shouted over "Morning".

was he...
    a: in the lead and being cocky
    b: at the back and couldn't give a monkeys
    c: mid-bonk and all delusional, thinking he was out on his sunday ride, and asking me what time of day it was
    d: actually on his sunday ride and got mixed up in it all and couldn't find a way out of it, so joined in.
    e: just a thoroughly nice bloke
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    DonutDad wrote:
    Been out this morning, and I passed a steady stream of TT-ers going in the opposite direction mid-competition.
    Was looking over just to be nosey and one guy shouted over "Morning".

was he...
    a: in the lead and being cocky
    b: at the back and couldn't give a monkeys
    c: mid-bonk and all delusional, thinking he was out on his sunday ride, and asking me what time of day it was
    d: actually on his sunday ride and got mixed up in it all and couldn't find a way out of it, so joined in.
    e: just a thoroughly nice bloke

Hopefully e: just a thoroughly nice bloke
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid