Ronde van Vlaanderen ***SPOILER***

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    To be fair, the break in the coverage offered me a chance to get a much needed late lunch/very late breakfast! Rather than vegetate on the sofa watching a race with not much happening. But I can see why others are fuming
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If Cancellara hadn't crashed, Eurosport would have missed absolutely sod all, and they came back when there was still 60km to go, so it's hardly that much of a big deal. Just open an internet feed for 45 minutes.

PS Transworld Sport is still on Sky Sports, every week, bringing us vital updates about Brazilian bobsledders and Ethiopian rugby teams and such like. It's usually on in the daytime, right after Aerobics Oz Style, which is great viewing for... errr... keeping fit and stuff...
  • Interesting. Boonen is saying he had some mechanical problems on the Paterberg...
    Boonen revealed afterward that he had a mechanical problem that hindered him from going faster on the climbs. "I had a problem with my gears by the first time on the Paterberg. First, we wanted to change my bike because I was not sure what the problem was. I think it was something with the chain that got stuck. Every rotation it clicked. On the Koppenberg, it was better. Then afterwards I went to the car to put oil on it and it went better. But especially on the 25 and 23 (tooth cogs), it was still not working perfectly. It was better to survive it like that than to change the bike because that's very hard on this course. That's why I was riding the 21. It's a little bit more difficult that way.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... rd-victory
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Fings wot I learned today

1) Route was a bit meh. Much as the route of last years Giro was so hard it tended to neutralise the racing in advance, today seemed like a lot of riders just didn't want to take a chance.
    2) Spring Classics need to have some , well, Spring weather. Even occasionally. The combination of weather and the finishing loops was like someone had created a "Small Small Flanders" in Las Vegas.
    3) Once Sagan learns how to "think" a race, everyone else might as well head for the showers early. If he had bridged to the trio, he'd have won.
    4) Never cycle behind the spectators.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    johnfinch wrote:
    If Eurosport aren't going to cover cycling's biggest races properly then they should warn fans about it BEFORE taking their money. Pretty simple really.

I guess if you subscribe to the player that be true.

But if it's what's on telly, they're not actually taking your money.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Rai certainly aren't getting any money from me, so thanks to them for 150+kms of uninterrupted coverage.
    Not sure that using the hindsight of nothing happening excuses Eurosport from doing a runner.
    Well, not until they leave some girlie tennis match, or snoozeker to slip on the last few kms of Pais Vasco, that is.
    As if. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    LangerDan wrote:
    Fings wot I learned today

1) Route was a bit meh. Much as the route of last years Giro was so hard it tended to neutralise the racing in advance, today seemed like a lot of riders just didn't want to take a chance.
    2) Spring Classics need to have some , well, Spring weather. Even occasionally. The combination of weather and the finishing loops was like someone had created a "Small Small Flanders" in Las Vegas.
    3) Once Sagan learns how to "think" a race, everyone else might as well head for the showers early. If he had bridged to the trio, he'd have won.
    4) Never cycle behind the spectators.

1) I think the first point might change now we've had a race on the route.
    2) Good weather editions are easier to watch...less picture break up!
    3) I'm not sure, without wanting to sound like a Boonen fanboy, I think he raced very well, always up at the sharp end but not doing unnecessary work. He didn't look supremely strong, but he didn't need to.
    4) Agreed
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    If Eurosport aren't going to cover cycling's biggest races properly then they should warn fans about it BEFORE taking their money. Pretty simple really.

I guess if you subscribe to the player that be true.

But if it's what's on telly, they're not actually taking your money.

It also depends on whether you buy a digital TV package based on the ability to get the quality cycling coverage ES say they are going to offer. I have often been tempted to go for one, instead of just watching Net feeds and TBH the only thing which has stopped me is the constant complaints about the quality of ES cycling coverage on this forum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    o9fsds.jpg

YEEEEEAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

6 years in the making.

Bring on the only rider to do the double twice.
  • rick_chasey
    W*nk route by the way.

It's 260km in Flanders, so it's still good. But c'mon.
  • rick_chasey
    Shows how good his form is - he didn't look his best today and he said as much in the interview.

Anyone know what caused Canc's crash?
  • rick_chasey
    And for the record....

Boonen put his nose in the wind less than Pozzato.

Oh the shame...

NOT!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Typical Eurosport, missing the Paterberg and Koppenberg for bloody touring cars? Seriously, what are the viewing figures for that rubbish?

I have eurosport player, so thought they might have even kept a feed going, but no, Spora stream for 1hr it had to be.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Shows how good his form is - he didn't look his best today and he said as much in the interview.

Anyone know what caused Canc's crash?

Apparently it was caused by the transference of thought waves from the entire population of Belgium on to stopping his front wheel suddenly and unexpectedly and over he went.

Things this forum does to you- my first thought when Boonen crossed the line was to wonder where you were and when you would stop screaming for joy. I hoped you weren't in a public place staring into a mobile phone as all I could think of was the restaurant scene from When Harry met Sally.

Dead chuffed for you though, Rick- what a birthday present. :D
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited April 2012
    Deleted :(
  • But what I don't understand is why it takes 50 minutes to show a 30 minute race. I left Eurosport on when I switched over to the internet coverage and it was 15 minutes until the race actually started. They could have quite easily stayed with the Flanders coverage until they got to the top of the Paterberg on the first lap and then switched over to the motor racing. OK, you would have still missed the Koppenberg and the Cancellara crash, but would have been better than what they showed.
    It's about the advertising slots they sell, not the actual racing coverage.
    Or why not pause the coverage for the hour or so whilst they went to motor racing and then pick it up after that has finished. Doesn't have to be live, does it? I don't mind watching delayed coverage.
    They probably don't employ enough people to do that. They are just transmitting Belgian TVs live broadcast with their own voice-overs, so minimal effort.
  • As I know you're all desperate to hear about my drinking habits... I was mixing and matching, couple of Tripels and 3 Dubbels. I regret nothing.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

That program was legendary! Was it on at stupid o'clock in the morning when you were a kid too?

It used to be on channel 4 at 6am didnt it on a sunday? I remember they used to have 'news' but called 'actualities' (i.e. french) but i didnt know that, so i thought, oh the actualities of sport.

For those that watch Sporza: is this free online?
  • rick_chasey
    MrTapir wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

That program was legendary! Was it on at stupid o'clock in the morning when you were a kid too?

It used to be on channel 4 at 6am didnt it on a sunday? I remember they used to have 'news' but called 'actualities' (i.e. french) but i didnt know that, so i thought, oh the actualities of sport.

The sporza website will have the highlights of each climb, and the finale, as well as interviews.

If you want the actual race, cyclingtorrents.nl is your friend.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

The sporza website will have the highlights of each climb, and the finale, as well as interviews.

So is this what they show while the race is on? Or is everyone actually watching Sporza on tv in belgium (and i cant do this)?
  • rick_chasey
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

So is this what they show while the race is on? Or is everyone actually watching Sporza on tv in belgium (and i cant do this)?

They also show their own stream - but not everyone can watch that. Websites like cyclingfans.com and steephill.tv offer alternative streams of all the different channels showing it across Europe. Not all the links work.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

I see, well maybe i shall have to have this on the side with Eurosport on if they decide to show touring cars mid-race next week.

They also show their own stream - but not everyone can watch that. Websites like cyclingfans.com and steephill.tv offer alternative streams of all the different channels showing it across Europe. Not all the links work.
  • rick_chasey
    ApbNYmvCQAA5hfh.jpg
  • Like all good jokes, it works because it has an element of truth to it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    It also shows that QS weren't that weak last year.

Their top riders, Chav, Boonen, Terpstra, were all at QS last year. Only Terpstra broke his collar bone in the 3daagse, and Boonen & Chav got unlucky in Roubaix.
  • rick_chasey
    Did anyone else think a) Sagan didn't ride very intelligently and b) Where the hell was Oss?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Sporza is on the TV in the BeNeLux, its takes over from one of the RTB channels...usually a dutch channel will carry the race.and ES is available under the same package so there are 3 options.

Before and after the important races, they have a load of interviews and stuff. It's similar to the BBC's coverage of the FA cup final or 6 nations.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Did anyone else think a) Sagan didn't ride very intelligently and b) Where the hell was Oss?

Yes, defo. Did far, far too much work on the early part of the last climb of the Kwaremont. Boy looks so strong though. How long will it be until he wins this race?

Little disappointed with Vanmarcke, did he do too much too early as well?
  • rick_chasey

Little disappointed with Vanmarcke, did he do too much too early as well?

Yes.

Could he have gone with the final trio on the final Kwaremont even if he hadn't done so much work?

Doubt it.