Ronde van Vlaanderen ***SPOILER***

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    edited April 2012
    Did they watch the same race as me?

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 55,00.html?

Didn't Biggles come back to the Boonen et al group just after the crash, but got dropped a bit after that? Or did they not really make it back?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Blame it on the 5th Westmalle :oops:

Tripel or Dubbel?

For comparison I was only on my 3rd Leffe which, for the un-initiated, is not as strong as either Westmalle. :wink:

My decent stash is back home so next week, once i've returned from Uni i can enjoy Paris-Roubaix with a few Westmalle's! :D
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    Hope the big guy is okay......any race without him is poorer.

If it is a broken hip as per Sporza indication, he'll be out for a while

At least 3 months. Might be a contender for the Olympics.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    (cue Rick)

Talking of Rick, anyone here a load explosion yet as he combusts with excitment?

Oh dear, I hope that's just a Freudian slip :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Canc is out with a thrice broken collar bone according to CN...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Fabian could be on the start line at Paris-Roubaix.

I hope he is and would be epic if he smashed it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11508/CHF-54-million-operation-could-salvage-Cancellaras-Roubaix-dream.aspx
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rozzer32 wrote:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11508/CHF-54-million-operation-could-salvage-Cancellaras-Roubaix-dream.aspx

As April Fools go that one is in poor taste
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    rozzer32 wrote:

Groan. It happened after noon Mr Stokes!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 wrote:

I did think that, but then it was posted after 12 so I'm unsure. I doubt he will be on the start line but I really hope he is.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    rozzer32 wrote:

+1.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I did think that, but then it was posted after 12 so I'm unsure. I doubt he will be on the start line but I really hope he is.

Article seems to have been removed
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Article seems to have been removed

Was just a really really poor taste April fools then.

• My mistake

That's probably what the spectator who brought down Langeveld would have said too.

• My mistake

That's probably what the spectator who brought down Langeveld would have said too.

And the driver of the Euskaltel Euskadi car!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Did anyone else see the Lampre rider try to start on one of the red jacketed fellows as Boonen was being shepherded away at the finish?

Also, Bloody Eurosport, I cannot believe they put touring cars right when the koppenberg was about to happen. What is all that about?

Think the new route is ok, although the finish line could be a bit sooner, i couldn't help feeling a bit deflated when it was obvious that the 3 guys had the win.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Eurosport are a right bunch of tools - 70kms to go and they go to Car racing and miss the most important climbs of the race. totally P***es me off that again Cycling gets the boot.. It`s a bit like reading a bestseller and getting to the last third and there is 20 pages missing with the plot. Aaaaaaarghhh :evil:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    While watching the race, I kept an eye on Twitter, and trending in UK was #RVV #Ballan but nothing of the World Touring cars.....
    What I found interesting during the Omloop het Nieuwsblad, Boonen was trending in the UK, for a race that wasn't even on UK Tv.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • iainf72
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Eurosport are a right bunch of tools - 70kms to go and they go to Car racing and miss the most important climbs of the race. totally P***es me off that again Cycling gets the boot.. It`s a bit like reading a bestseller and getting to the last third and there is 20 pages missing with the plot. Aaaaaaarghhh :evil:

Remind me, what happened when it wasn't on ES? Oh yes, that's right, nothing.

In my youth, we used to get 20 seconds of Flanders on Transworld Sport. And we were grateful.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

In my youth, we used to get 20 seconds of Flanders on Transworld Sport. And we were grateful.

They missed Cancellara's crash IIRC.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Thats NOT the point - I used to watch 20 mins only 3 saturdays in July - Tour de france on World of Sport with Dickie Davies...Eurosport have 3 channels, they have been "plugging" the classics to death for weeks. so dont give me that in my youth shyte....this is now things have changed ok.
  • EKIMIKE
    iainf72 wrote:
    Transworld Sport

That program was legendary! Was it on at stupid o'clock in the morning when you were a kid too?
  • Now I understand that everyone doesn't want to watch cycling, some people do like other sports and Eurosport will probably go with the sport that gets the higher viewing figures. That's the way it is, you have to be realistic.

But what I don't understand is why it takes 50 minutes to show a 30 minute race. I left Eurosport on when I switched over to the internet coverage and it was 15 minutes until the race actually started. They could have quite easily stayed with the Flanders coverage until they got to the top of the Paterberg on the first lap and then switched over to the motor racing. OK, you would have still missed the Koppenberg and the Cancellara crash, but would have been better than what they showed.

Or why not pause the coverage for the hour or so whilst they went to motor racing and then pick it up after that has finished. Doesn't have to be live, does it? I don't mind watching delayed coverage.
  • ddraver
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Sporza were doing the picture feed (hence the green logos), that's not ES's fault, and they can't have cameras everywhere...That's how it works for most races (and most sporting events), otherwise it would be carnage if every nationality had 3 or 4 motos, helicopters etc
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon
    Now I understand that everyone doesn't want to watch cycling, some people do like other sports and Eurosport will probably go with the sport that gets the higher viewing figures. That's the way it is, you have to be realistic.

But what I don't understand is why it takes 50 minutes to show a 30 minute race. I left Eurosport on when I switched over to the internet coverage and it was 15 minutes until the race actually started. They could have quite easily stayed with the Flanders coverage until they got to the top of the Paterberg on the first lap and then switched over to the motor racing. OK, you would have still missed the Koppenberg and the Cancellara crash, but would have been better than what they showed.

Or why not pause the coverage for the hour or so whilst they went to motor racing and then pick it up after that has finished. Doesn't have to be live, does it? I don't mind watching delayed coverage.

Delayed is OK, but i quite like watching it live, reading the forum, and twitter at the same time
  • Jez mon
    ddraver wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Sporza were doing the picture feed (hence the green logos), that's not ES's fault, and they can't have cameras everywhere...That's how it works for most races (and most sporting events), otherwise it would be carnage if every nationality had 3 or 4 motos, helicopters etc

I meant they were at the touring cars when Canc crashed, rather than missing pictures of the crash itself
  • EKIMIKE
    Christ, if you're that dedicated to watching the whole race then what's your issue with banging up a Sporza feed in the meantime? If you're that dedicated you won't mind the language or the effort.
  • rozzer32
    *gets popcorn*
  • ddraver
    @Jez - Oh, I see, I had Sporza on the telly at the time. Sorry.
    - @ddraver
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    If Eurosport aren't going to cover cycling's biggest races properly then they should warn fans about it BEFORE taking their money. Pretty simple really.
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Delayed is OK, but i quite like watching it live, reading the forum, and twitter at the same time

Fair enough. I don't like reading the forum or twitter, I find it distracting, I'd rather just watch the race. Given the choice of missing 50 minutes or having delayed, I'd go for the delayed.