Ronde van Vlaanderen ***SPOILER***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    edited April 2012
    GET IN TOMEKKE!!!!! SPORZA has just exploded!!!

(they were bloody nervous though!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Balls!!!!!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Pozzatto screw up!AAAGGGHHHH!!!
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    That was somewhat predictable 123 in the end.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Lampre rider batters security dude ha ha ha ha
  • ddraver
    edited April 2012
    If that lampre rider has enough strength for a fight, one suspects he wasnt trying hard enough! Cyclist vs security guard would be good though!

So, Course Change - kees Ja of Nee?
    - @ddraver
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Awesome win for Boonen, I really thought he had had it on the last climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Big bunch sprint for 4th! If only the chasers had pushed it on.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Pah.....Pozzato lost that, so Boonen wins.....it seemed as if everything went his way...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Tommeke! Mind you, I'd have wanted Satan to win in a sprint against Ballan or Pozzatto.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    And that confirms the end of my PTP challenge for another year...
  • Moomaloid
    So, overall feelings then? Did we miss the Muur? I know i did.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    LOL @ the Sidi advert on Eurosport during the break :)
  • ddraver
    fluff. wrote:
    That was somewhat predictable 123 in the end.

If you can find one post where someone predicted that I ll crown you king of awesome!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The most frustrating thing about pro cycling - riders will rather sprint for 4th than risk all for a win.

Bloody Hell Pross, he had a damn good crack at it - he's not actually superman!

Fun and games starting now...Don't want to count any PTP chickens but Tommeke looks like he's out for a stroll here!

?? I was talking about the group rather than Sagan. Sagan had no choice but to go on his own as the rest gave up as soon as the 3 got away.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    Apart from van Petegem and Wesemann (who aren't exactly "short" at 5'9") all the Ronde winners from the past dozen or so years are about 6' tall or greater.

Great stat.

This is the kind of semi-pointless stat we are looking for in the run up!!

Their average age was 30.5 and they were most likley to be Belgian or Italian

< checks list of current riders to see who is 6 foot, 30-and-a-half, from Belgium or Italy, and in form>
    Looks like Pippo to win on Sunday, then!

So very nearly.........................
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • TMR
    Moomaloid wrote:

It was an exciting race anyway, so no for me.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    What's a 5th place worth in the PTP?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The most frustrating thing about pro cycling - riders will rather sprint for 4th than risk all for a win.

Bloody Hell Pross, he had a damn good crack at it - he's not actually superman!

Fun and games starting now...Don't want to count any PTP chickens but Tommeke looks like he's out for a stroll here!

?? I was talking about the group rather than Sagan. Sagan had no choice but to go on his own as the rest gave up as soon as the 3 got away.

Ah understood, my bad!
    - @ddraver
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Moomaloid wrote:

Yes, overall feeling was this is a crap course.

A lot more dangerous than the course of the last 30 years and in the end, not as exciting.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Not a big fan of the new route myself-didn't really enjoy the race either tbh, although I'm nursing a bit of a hangover and have been drinking tea rather than the bottle of Leffe that I'd saved for the race :(
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid wrote:

It was an exciting race anyway, so no for me.

Didn't find it that exciting...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What's a 5th place worth in the PTP?

25 IIRC
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • peterst6906
    That will, rightly so, put Boonen on top of the World rankings for the year so far.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    ddraver wrote:
    If you can find one post where someone predicted that I ll crown you king of awesome!

I mean, after they went clear & Boonen hung on at the last climb, he was always going to win a sprint & Ballan was always going to be 3rd.
  • peterst6906
    Tom BB wrote:
    ... rather than the bottle of Leffe that I'd saved for the race :(

Only 1 bottle of Leffe?

Once I start with it, I can't stop.

The Belgians make the best beers.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Moomaloid wrote:

Yes, overall feeling was this is a crap course.

A lot more dangerous than the course of the last 30 years and in the end, not as exciting.

Not sure it was crap, just nowhere near as good as previous with the Muur etc While I can see the rationale behind the decision, I never like bike races with laps/circuits in them......become too repetitive.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • TMR
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Didn't find it that exciting...

That's a shame. Look forward to Paris-Roubaix next weekend :)
  • ddraver
    AndyRAC wrote:

While I can see the rationale behind the decision, I never like bike races with laps/circuits in them......become too repetitive.

I'm with you there, the trouble is everyone gets to measure their and everyone elses form on the first lap so it's much harder to pull off a surprise attack on the last lap...
    - @ddraver
  • peterst6906
    AndyRAC wrote:
    While I can see the rationale behind the decision, I never like bike races with laps/circuits in them......become too repetitive.

I'm not necessarily against repetitive. If I was at the event live, it would be good to only have to move around a little bit, but see a lot of the important parts of the race.

I also understand the desire to put up cathedral size sponsors and VIP tents in one spot and have the riders pass it several times.

Hell, I even understand the organisers being p*ssed off at only receiving EUR 5000 from a private VIP tent placed on the Muur and after losing a court challenge and then not receiving anything at all, deciding to change the course so it doesn't pass that spot.

But the narrow roads and tight turns being run several times over became part of the selection today. That wasn't enjoyable.

Perhaps it will be different next year, but it felt like a lot of the teams were being conservative because they didn't know exactly how difficult it would be. Unfortunately aside from a small group, most were caught behind the last crash and couldn't get back into it after that.

If they can widen the roads at the turns and make it a bit safer for the riders, then it could be good. At the moment though, I didn't particularly like the course.

Regards,

Peter