Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,584
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cancellara is his own worst enemy. He thinks he can ride anyone off his wheel, but often he can't. Smart riding by Gerrans to let let him (oh so predictably) do all the work for him.

Yes, you wonder if it ever occurs to Canc to just sit up. Instead he just leads out his rivals

He basically did at P-R last year. The difference was that this time he thought he had a chance against Gerrans in the sprint, whereas last year he knew he had no chance against Hushovd so he sat up.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:

He basically did at P-R last year. The difference was that this time he thought he had a chance against Gerrans in the sprint, whereas last year he knew he had no chance against Hushovd so he sat up.

The problem there was that he wasn't in the lead group, and Hushovd's (very credible) teammate was.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Can't insert image for some reason.

270-RTR2ZHWO.jpg
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Looks like a new type of Oakleys for Cavendish...

MarkCavendishMilan_2735362.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    At one point it looked like Canc had a few meters on Gerrans, about 2k out maybe? Thought it was a slight chance but he didn't seem to take it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    At one point it looked like Canc had a few meters on Gerrans, about 2k out maybe? Thought it was a slight chance but he didn't seem to take it.

Gerrans said he was struggling to hold Canc's wheel on the descent.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerrans-i-cant-deny-cancellara-was-the-strongest

Nibali and Sagan's thoughts here:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11396/Vincenzo-Nibali-both-satisfied-and-disappointed-with-third-place-in-Sanremo.aspx

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Ha - you're so predictable with the 'wheel sucking' jibe. You just don't get it do you?

The ettiquette of 30kms to go doesn't apply on the flat with only 4 left. Although Gerrans did briefly come through, only a loser would willingly allow Cancellara some time to rest.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why is there not more focus on THE favourite bottling it with almost 100km still to go?

What want to know is - how the hell did he win it in 2009, and does Cavendish himself know the answer to that?

His chat beforehand this year was one who was confident he had the form to win it, and given that he has, you'd assume that wasn't bluff (since what's the point of bluffing form when you don't have any?)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Why is there not more focus on THE favourite bottling it with almost 100km still to go?

What want to know is - how the hell did he win it in 2009, and does Cavendish himself know the answer to that?

His chat beforehand this year was one who was confident he had the form to win it, and given that he has, you'd assume that wasn't bluff (since what's the point of bluffing form when you don't have any?)

what surprises me a little is that the team use a science based approach,SRMs and talk of marginal gains but Cav's lack of form should maybe have been picked up in the weeks prior to the race by a decent sized gathering of his own team for race pace rides.

I noticed he did not contest the sprint on day 5 of Tirreno saying he didn 't feel good and DNFd day 6. Oman was not great for him. There haven't been enough hard races close to Milan San remo to test Cav in but in training perhaps they could have?? Cav look not even close to being capable of taking Cipressa or Poggio..guess he might be over trained or ill but the team rode for him like they did not have that knowledge.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857

Why do you think he "bottled it"? It was surely a lack of legs rather than bottle.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Why do you think he "bottled it"? It was surely a lack of legs rather than bottle.

http://twitter.com/#!/MarkCavendish/sta ... 3461586944
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Maybe he was just having an off day, happens to everyone once in a while. I can't see how a guy that's World Champion, has won MSR before and has won on the Champs Elysee 3 times would bottle it? Seems more likely that his form just wasn't as good as he thought or that he was suffering from a bug or something he'd eaten.

These things seem terrible at the time but it'll soon be forgotten. It's hardly the first time that a favourite has fallen at the first fence.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Personally I think one issue Cav has is genuine weight loss. In Qatar I was told his weight was 72kg, and apparently that was really great because he was only 3kgs off the 69kg he gets to by the end of the Tour de France. I'm taller than Cav and if I get to 72kg I give myself a kick up the arse. If they're saying Cav being 72kg was really good news I'm amazed. I saw him getting changed after the stage 4 debacle where Sky lost any GC hopes for their star asset and I was struck by how un-athletic his body looks - the guy carries way too much flesh that contributes nothing (other than insulation on a very cold day). He is an exceptionally talented finishing sprinter but I can't help but think he could be more if he addressed his body composition.
    **Finally to say, I don't like the guy one bit - and I'm far from the only one - but the above is an objective appraisal on a sporting level, and I think the pic below speaks volumes.

240-RTR2ZHW7.jpg
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • inkyfingers
    phil s wrote:
    Personally I think one issue Cav has is genuine weight loss. In Qatar I was told his weight was 72kg, and apparently that was really great because he was only 3kgs off the 69kg he gets to by the end of the Tour de France. I'm taller than Cav and if I get to 72kg I give myself a kick up the ars*. If they're saying Cav being 72kg was really good news I'm amazed. I saw him getting changed after the stage 4 debacle where Sky lost any GC hopes for their star asset and I was struck by how un-athletic his body looks - the guy carries way too much flesh that contributes nothing (other than insulation on a very cold day). He is an exceptionally talented finishing sprinter but I can't help but think he could be more if he addressed his body composition.
    **Finally to say, I don't like the guy one bit - and I'm far from the only one - but the above is an objective appraisal on a sporting level, and I think the pic below speaks volumes.

240-RTR2ZHW7.jpg

Obviously i've not seen him naked like you :wink: , but there was a discussion about this on here not long ago. I've seen bellies like that on lots of riders, it's often a combination of a low position on the bike and breathing hard. I thought Cadel Evans looked fat when he was wearing the World Champions jersey and you don't see many fatties winning on the Mur de Huy.

Personally I think Cav does often carry a bit of extra puppy fat, but he always has had and his record up till now is pretty decent. It's still only March and his big targets this year are in July and August so maybe he is building slowly towards that?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's still only March and his big targets this year are in July and August so maybe he is building slowly towards that?

KBK, Milan - San Remo and Gent W were his early season goals.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's still only March and his big targets this year are in July and August so maybe he is building slowly towards that?

KBK, Milan - San Remo and Gent W were his early season goals.

I know, but maybe they thought he could win those whilst carrying a couple of KGs?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Any one know if the bloke who had the nasty crash and was on stretcher is ok?
    Latest news I can find is that he - Carlos Julián Quintero - was in hospital having tests done for head injuries and a suspected broken humerus.

Edit: apparently just a broken collarbone for Quintero: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/few-inj ... mo-crashes
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

A) because he had stunning form that day

B) because I think most teams genuinely did nt think he had a chance that year either so there was no concerted effort to distance him. It's no secret that he's not the best climber but in 2012, there is no doubt about his sprinting ability so every team other than sky was going to try and drop him on a climb. Admittedly, I don't think they expected to happen so early but they were nt going to look a gift horse like that in the mouth! If the chasing group had nt had Cavendish in it the main bunch would probably have done the normal thing and sat up and let it all their water carriers back on....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Ha - you're so predictable with the 'wheel sucking' jibe. You just don't get it do you?
    Tactics, but unfortunate for Canc.
    If he hadn't kept driving Sagan probably would have won.
    Poor move by Liquigas.
    To be fair to Nibs, he followed rather then led once Canc joined him and Gerrans - he looked like he was struggling a little on the descent... he must've known he wouldn't beat either of 'em in the sprint, and that Sagan was strong behind. If Gerrans hadn't done his tiny shift, Sagan might have had enough road to come through...
    Get on the front and ride 2kmh too slow then?
    He could've tried that, but inside he was probably cheesed off with himself when he saw who he had for company at the top of the poggio. \it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say...
    Cancellara afterwards said
    „In principle the race went as we envisaged. To come second in San Remo is of course prestigious, but it wasn’t the birthday present that I wished for myself. I came here to win.”
    It’s his birthday today, I think.
  • rick_chasey

Same thing isn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:

what surprises me a little is that the team use a science based approach,SRMs and talk of marginal gains but Cav's lack of form should maybe have been picked up in the weeks prior to the race by a decent sized gathering of his own team for race pace rides.

I noticed he did not contest the sprint on day 5 of Tirreno saying he didn 't feel good and DNFd day 6. Oman was not great for him. There haven't been enough hard races close to Milan San remo to test Cav in but in training perhaps they could have?? Cav look not even close to being capable of taking Cipressa or Poggio..guess he might be over trained or ill but the team rode for him like they did not have that knowledge.

Agreed.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Dave_1 wrote:

Agreed.

Maybe it was just one of those things that happened with no real explanation. I'm sure we've all had it - one minute you're feeling great and the next you can barely turn your pedals.

Pity Sky didn't really have seem to have a plan B though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    johnfinch wrote:

They did, but that didn't work either and he came 25th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Or did they just not jettison Cavendish quickly enough...

Not easy to do that do the world champion.

Where there any other big names in the Cavendish group?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    RichN95 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

How many people were assigned to EBH when Cav's got dropped? My count is 5 were sent back..too many? EBH needed 1 or two of them. Cav being dropped on that climb should have been sign enough he had little chance at all in this years Milan Sa Remo..EBH won a bunch sprint at Tirreno..should have had 1 or 2 of the 5 Cav got perhaps??
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    RichN95 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Or did they just not jettison Cavendish quickly enough...

Not easy to do that do the world champion.

Where there any other big names in the Cavendish group?

I think Farrar was in there.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    looking at his twitter feed over the last week or so, think he did 250k inc 3000m ascent in training very recently. Makes you wonder if he is using MSR as another 'training' event towards the main season? Maybe plans in place that if not too tired he'd go for it or plan B if not - which as said above was also a fail.
    Peter
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857

Same thing isn't it?

Of course not