Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    They are flat out downhill as it is. Won't be any more or less dangerous.

Riding 'flat-out' downhill to maintain a position in a large group isn't the same as riding 'flat-out' downhill towards a career-making monument-win. There's a good reason why they don't generally put finishes at the the 'foot' of hills.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Riding 'flat-out' downhill to maintain a position in a large group isn't the same as riding 'flat-out' downhill towards a career-making monument-win. There's a good reason why they don't generally put finishes at the the 'foot' of hills.

It pretty much is anyway.

I don't think there's anyone at the sharp end who takes the poggio decent anything else than flat out.

Cancellara tried to drop Gerrans - Katusha tried to close the gap.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    In an interview in the current C-S, Stuart O'Grady admits trying to close the door on rider on the descent of the Poggio last year - "to put him in the glasshouses" as he phrased it - until he realised it was Goss. And that was with a finish-line still 4 km away. A finish at the very foot would be carnage. Put it about 1km away, as it used to be before - not far enough for a proper chase to establish itself but far enough away to take a little heat out of the last section of the descent.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • This is, without question, the best analysis of MSR that I've seen:
    http://cyclismas.com/2012/03/milan-san- ... iscussion/
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

It pretty much is anyway.

I don't think there's anyone at the sharp end who takes the poggio decent anything else than flat out.

Cancellara tried to drop Gerrans - Katusha tried to close the gap.

Currently there's enough room after the end of the descent to move yourself up in the bunch to get in a good position for a sprint, if the finish line is too close to the end of the descent, there's going to be jostling for position on the descent, which sounds dangerous to me!

I think the route works as it is, M-SR is known as a sprinters classic, but clearly it can be won from a group. The Cancellara situation might be making a few fans unhappy but these things always happen, once Gerrans had got Cancellara's wheel, the only thing which would have stopped him winning was Cancellara giving up a podium, or a puncture.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This is, without question, the best analysis of MSR that I've seen:
    http://cyclismas.com/2012/03/milan-san- ... iscussion/

:D:D:D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Currently there's enough room after the end of the descent to move yourself up in the bunch to get in a good position for a sprint, if the finish line is too close to the end of the descent, there's going to be jostling for position on the descent, which sounds dangerous to me!

I think the route works as it is, M-SR is known as a sprinters classic, but clearly it can be won from a group. The Cancellara situation might be making a few fans unhappy but these things always happen, once Gerrans had got Cancellara's wheel, the only thing which would have stopped him winning was Cancellara giving up a podium, or a puncture.

Is it any more dangerous than Arenberg?

But to be fair, I don't think the route is that bad. Groups and lone riders can win as Gerrans, Cancellara and Pozatto have proved in recent years. But then also I don't see any reason why the finish line can't be moved, maybe to 1km from the finish of the Poggio. Wasn't it always on the Via Roma, but then moved in 2008 to it's current finish.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Tusher wrote:
    Poor soul- he had un jour sans. That's all. He's human.
    But Iain's right- a Cavendish loss does generate a whole lot more chat.

Hard to believe, given the amount of Cav chat there is on this forum, already.

A pity, given the race threw up a number of tactical conundrums.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:
    Poor soul- he had un jour sans. That's all. He's human.
    But Iain's right- a Cavendish loss does generate a whole lot more chat.

Hard to believe, given the amount of Cav chat there is on this forum, already.

A pity, given the race threw up a number of tactical conundrums.

I count two tactical conundrums.

I don't see why Sagan didn't plan to stick on Cancellara's wheel, regardless of what Nibs did.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

Is it any more dangerous than Arenberg?

But to be fair, I don't think the route is that bad. Groups and lone riders can win as Gerrans, Cancellara and Pozatto have proved in recent years. But then also I don't see any reason why the finish line can't be moved, maybe to 1km from the finish of the Poggio. Wasn't it always on the Via Roma, but then moved in 2008 to it's current finish.

I guess not, but then again Arenberg is quite dangerous anyway! The main issue I have with it is that it would remove an element of excitement, as currently an attack at the top of the Poggio has a fair chance of succeeding, but also a fair chance of being brought back, take away more flat Km's after the descent, and you possibly take away the chance of the attack being brought back, which IMO isn't as exciting.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I count two tactical conundrums.

I don't see why Sagan didn't plan to stick on Cancellara's wheel, regardless of what Nibs did.

I think that's pretty obvious Rick, he was riding to Team orders. They obviously didn't want Sagan owning Nibs again. if he'd been a little more selfish and gone for it, I think he might have won; Gerrans wouldn't beat Sagan in a sprint and he can descend stupidly well.

I wish I had 10% of Sagan's talent TBH :(
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    sorry to bring up Cav again but I was looking at the results and saw Cavendish had DNFd (along with most of the sky team). Was he totally at the back on his own?
  • Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • I don't see why Sagan didn't plan to stick on Cancellara's wheel, regardless of what Nibs did.

Just sit on Cancellara's wheel whilst he's going full gas, yeah, no problem. How hard can that be?

I have no doubts Sagan could match Cancellara on the descent, but the climb? He could have easily put himself into the red trying to follow him and finished no where.
  • rick_chasey

Just sit on Cancellara's wheel whilst he's going full gas, yeah, no problem. How hard can that be?

I have no doubts Sagan could match Cancellara on the descent, but the climb? He could have easily put himself into the red trying to follow him and finished no where.

I thought he was Mr Talented.

If Gerrans can do it, Sagan should be able to.
  • Jez mon wrote:
    I guess not, but then again Arenberg is quite dangerous anyway! The main issue I have with it is that it would remove an element of excitement, as currently an attack at the top of the Poggio has a fair chance of succeeding, but also a fair chance of being brought back, take away more flat Km's after the descent, and you possibly take away the chance of the attack being brought back, which IMO isn't as exciting.

Yes, agree with you there. If the finish was right at the bottom of the Poggio, it would probably be won by whoever gets to the top first. If it was more than the 3 km to the finish it is now, it's gonna be a bunch sprint. It needs to be just the right distance to give attackers a chance, but also the sprinters as well. It was interesting on Saturday because you didn't know who was going to win, right up the last few hundred metres!
  • I thought he was Mr Talented.

If Gerrans can do it, Sagan should be able to.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows! And hasn't Gerrans won a mountain stage in the Tour? Think he's a pretty good climber.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Haha, I like this. The way he talks about Cancellara is pretty interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It's pretty obvious Cancellara was banking on being able to ride Gerro and Nibs off his wheel on the decent and when that didn't work just ride hard and hope he could out sprint them. Gerran's read the race well, not really sure what all the fuss is over Cancellara getting the win stolen he came over everyone worked on the climb, Cancellara attacked on the decent and after that there wasn;t going to be a lot of co-operation. Get the feeling some people just like him and for that he should have won. Have to say most exciting race I've watched in a while.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    thiscocks wrote:
    sorry to bring up Cav again but I was looking at the results and saw Cavendish had DNFd (along with most of the sky team). Was he totally at the back on his own?
    Nope. He and a large bunch rode to san-remo but skirted the Poggio so were classed as DNF
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    JonGinge wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    Nope. He and a large bunch rode to san-remo but skirted the Poggio so were classed as DNF
    ah explains it, thanks. Thought it would be a bit poor to pull out just because you are not going to win.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Kelly says that moving the finish closer to the foot of the Poggio will make the race safer! Oh well... just shows you how little I know. (Doffs cap to Rick.)

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11413/Kelly-sees-merit-in-one-of-proposed-changes-to-Milan-Sanremo-route.aspx

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Ooh look Wiggins a bit of 'dead wood' has just won La Primavera. You and your marff.

He wasn't the deadwood though, was he? Sky wanted to keep him, but Gerrans wanted to ride for an Aussie team.

So you say. My point being that Wiggins says these things supposedly to be funny? Not.
    Don't blame Gerrans for moving. Got me PTP ponts before he went to Sky, did nothing there and is doing me well again now he has gone to Greenedge.

Also if Cavendish looks fat it's because he is breathing from the bottom of the lungs using the diaphragm as you should. (Have recently joined a choir and this is what one is supposed to do which is a bit difficult with asthma)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Looks like a new type of Oakleys for Cavendish...

MarkCavendishMilan_2735362.jpg

How good am I? Cavendish is wearing a new pair of Oakleys called Radar Locks...

OKRLPMH.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    You got HD greased??
  • You got HD greased??

No, I haven't. Just signed up for Eurosport in time for Milan San Remo, but couldn't persude myself that I needed HD.
  • rick_chasey
    You do. :);)
  • You do. :);)

Do I? I thought I was doing quite well to pick out Cavendish's new specs on my fuzzy TV. But hey, if you say so. I'll get onto Sky and you'll forward the cheque?

:D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    You do. :);)

Do I? I thought I was doing quite well to pick out Cavendish's new specs on my fuzzy TV. But hey, if you say so. I'll get onto Sky and you'll forward the cheque?

:D

You'd have only seen the same picture for M-SR, as none of the Italian races are broadcast in HD.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Spotting new specs isn't that smart when the wearer previewed them on their twitter ... Kinda like telling me last Saturday's lotto numbers ...