Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Brilliant ride tho' I saw Gerrans well up in that group going up the hill and I thought yeah! Just as well my neighbours on both sides were out I was shouting so loud!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Ooh look Wiggins a bit of 'dead wood' has just won La Primavera. You and your marff.

He wasn't the deadwood though, was he? Sky wanted to keep him, but Gerrans wanted to ride for an Aussie team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    I'd rather see Cancellara ride like an absolute demon and come 2nd then him just sitting in the back of a group of 10, doing the odd 15sec pull then trying to come round riders with 50m to go. He 150% improves the viewing of these races.

No one is as good as him to do that sort of thing. No one, not even close. I hope he cleans up at least one other big race to come.

+1 to that.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I'd rather see Cancellara ride like an absolute demon and come 2nd then him just sitting in the back of a group of 10, doing the odd 15sec pull then trying to come round riders with 50m to go.

What like Valverde? Oh, wait, he doesn't do any turns at the front.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I'd rather see Cancellara ride like an absolute demon and come 2nd then him just sitting in the back of a group of 10, doing the odd 15sec pull then trying to come round riders with 50m to go. He 150% improves the viewing of these races.

No one is as good as him to do that sort of thing. No one, not even close. I hope he cleans up at least one other big race to come.

Cycling is about the brain as well as the brawn. One day you may learn to appreciate that.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • RichN95.
    phil s wrote:
    Cycling is about the brain as well as the brawn. One day you may learn to appreciate that.

Exactly. Cycling is often called 'Chess on wheels' or 'Poker on wheels'. Cerebral activities. It is rarely called 'Snakes and Ladders on wheels'
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If the strongest rider won every race people would complain about that too.

It's the unpredictability that makes it so great.

It will be interesting to see what Cancellara has to say but I would be surprised if he is criticising other riders. He should be looking at Radioshacks tactics/squad which leaves him such a marked man.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Cancellara is the Kingmaker. If you are around him in a break you are in with a shout. He made it for Nuyens last year in Flanders and he made it for Gerrans this year.

No disrespect to Nuyens or Gerrans though. They were in the right place at the right time when Canc made the moves that decided the winners of those races
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    I wish as a newbie I wish I understood all this, just thought it was a cracking race! Any one know if the bloke who had the nasty crash and was on stretcher is ok?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    I wish as a newbie I wish I understood all this, just thought it was a cracking race! Any one know if the bloke who had the nasty crash and was on stretcher is ok?

You ll get there buddy, keep watching and don't be afraid to ask questions, we re nice in here!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't care if it is 'racing'. And sure they have to ride very hard to hold his wheel, but without him they, would, not, win. Yes the guys may win but it isn't an impressive win or a Classic win.

But they are prepared to lose everything to win. Something Cancellara desperately needs to learn.

Because his palmares isnt good enough? No, its better than pretty much every rider bar a handful.

What is he meant to do? Play cat and mouse, get caught, try and sprint and come 9th? Nope. Gerrans might be happy with that but not a Champion like Fabu.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    ddraver wrote:
    we re nice in here!

I'm not
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    His first classic - I guess that's good for him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    What is he meant to do? Play cat and mouse, get caught, try and sprint and come 9th? Nope. Gerrans might be happy with that but not a Champion like Fabu.

Once, just once, he needs to be in the front group and say 'I'm not towing you guys to the finish. If you want this to pan out, you need to work too'. If he loses then, so be it. But at least everyone wouldn't take his currently predictable tactics for granted.

'Poker on wheels' - bluffing and calling, mixing it up - not going all in every time you have a good hand.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't care if it is 'racing'. And sure they have to ride very hard to hold his wheel, but without him they, would, not, win. Yes the guys may win but it isn't an impressive win or a Classic win.

But they are prepared to lose everything to win. Something Cancellara desperately needs to learn.

Because his palmares isnt good enough? No, its better than pretty much every rider bar a handful.

What was Gerrans meant to do?

Give Cancellara respite and let him turn the last km into a pursuit. Nope.

Fabian had one card to play. Spot the right move on the Poggio. Open a gap on the descent and ride like the clappers to the end. He played it perfectly but on this occasion Gerrans was able to stay with him on the descent. Thems the breaks.

500m more and Sagan would have won.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    edited March 2012
    Frenchfighter, from memory Gerrans win didn't look all that different to how your second favourite rider, Alejandro Valverde got his two Leige wins.

I'm not a massive Gerrans fan either to be honest, but fair play to him, he did what he had to win. In ten years time he'll still be remembered as a monument winner, I doubt anybody will remember who came second or third no matter how much work they did
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great race, well played by Gerrans.

If you don't want to watch something where tactics play a big part then maybe long distance running is more for you?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wasn't as if Cancellara launched a huge attack from way out.

Neither he nor Radioshack seemed to be doing much all race...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    thegibdog wrote:
    Great race, well played by Gerrans.

If you don't want to watch something where tactics play a big part then maybe long distance running is more for you?

What are the shoes like in that sport?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Massive come down.

Was bouncing off the walls when I saw Boonen in the Katusha chase group....

Some saying on twitter that the Quick Step rider wasn't Boonen.

Yeah is possible.

If so, still disappointed - should have been there to crash to begin with - especially if Denkolb can make it with the group with his fat ass.

Think this is the answer to your question, Rick: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... remo-crash
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cancellara is his own worst enemy. He thinks he can ride anyone off his wheel, but often he can't. Smart riding by Gerrans to let let him (oh so predictably) do all the work for him.

Yes, you wonder if it ever occurs to Canc to just sit up. Instead he just leads out his rivals
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Getty
    1bba07be4b395c978b469f0f7d2c9ab2-getty-509735420.jpg

So we know he's not Boonen, but have we worked out who this guy IS yet?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Great finish. You have to hand it Gerrans in my opinion. Whilst I'd like to see rider's win in the way Cancellara tries to do, it's not always going to come off. Surely the beauty of bike racing is in the fact that you have riders of different types and abilities racing the same events a lot of the time? And therefore get different kinds of riders winning?

Disappointed in Sky though, didn't see the race, what happened to them all? Did they just come up short again?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I feel for Fabu. Yes, it's racing and Gerrans did what he was supposed to do. But it would have been nice to see 'my buddy' win it.

*Courtesy of my iPhone and not Getty.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pokerface wrote:
    I feel for Fabu. Yes, it's racing and Gerrans did what he was supposed to do. But it would have been nice to see 'my buddy' win it.

Nice picture, but shame you weren't world champion when that was taken, not many guys could stand next to Fab as an equal!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    Disappointed in Sky though, didn't see the race, what happened to them all? Did they just come up short again?

They backed Cav to the hilt and it didn't pay off as he didn't have the legs. Maybe they could have left more men with EBH so he wouldn't be in the wrong place on the Poggio. But these are the calls you have to make. It's easy in retrospect.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:

Nice picture, but shame you weren't world champion when that was taken, not many guys could stand next to Fab as an equal!

Actually I was World Champ then! (And was there training for my 2nd title I won last month on the track). What was a real shame is that I didn't have my jersey with me on the day!
  • RichN95 wrote:

They backed Cav to the hilt and it didn't pay off as he didn't have the legs. Maybe they could have left more men with EBH so he wouldn't be in the wrong place on the Poggio. But these are the calls you have to make. It's easy in retrospect.

And easy from the comfort of our armchairs too. Not sure they'd have been able to do anything about this in any case!

#270-RTR2ZHWO.jpg

Anyone who could follow deserved anything they got I reckon.
  • Should have been a picture in that last post. Sorry.

Here's a link instead.

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/milan-san- ... R2ZHWO.jpg

Can't insert image for some reason.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    ddraver wrote:
    Getty
    1bba07be4b395c978b469f0f7d2c9ab2-getty-509735420.jpg

So we know he's not Boonen, but have we worked out who this guy IS yet?

Trentin I think.