What grinds your gears?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    When people preface some trivial problem with the phrase 'There's nothing worse than...'.

E.g. 'There's nothing worse than a squeaky chain'!

There probably are a lot of things that are worse, aren't there.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735
    Alain Quay wrote:
    rake wrote:
    Alain Quay wrote:
    10. British water pressure/showers - why so wimpy and complicated?
    this comment is grinding my gears.

Well, if you guys are going to 'build a new Jerusalem', can I put in a request for better showers - thanks.

You sir, are a hero.

English plumbing is appauling.

Also, wtf with seperate hot and cold taps?

Mixer taps people, mixer taps.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Pross wrote:
    The Traffic Signs regulations use term merge. They outrank the Highway Code which isn't the "law of the road" as some people would have you believe. A lot of traffic congestion at motorway junctions could be avoid if people merged properly.

In nearly all cases the problems in merging arise from the failure of motorists on the sliproad to use it for what it is there for, which is to accelerate to the speed of traffic already on the motorway. I'm a bit of an eco-driving anorak and tend to cruise at 100kph indicated (about 92kph according to the satnav) and still I'm constantly having to slow down for traffic entering the motorway only to look in disbelief as they dither at 80kph for a minute or two before deciding that actually they want to cruise at 130kph. Does my fecking head in. You can cruise at any speed you like but when entering a motorway match your speed you tw@t.

The dashed lines that separate the sliproad from the motorway are 'Give-Way' lines, just like any other junction where you have to give way to traffic on the main road. Yes, it is courteous to move into the middle lane (if safe) to allow another car to join the motorway, and I do, but only if the feckers are signalling. If they are not, then tough. It grinds my gears the number of motorists who think THEY have right of way joining the motorway, who think they can just drift out from the slip road, who don't signal, and don't even look behind to see if the road is clear.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    CiB wrote:
    A new gear grinder.

Lefties. Always completely obsessed with the idea that only their view can be right, and that any action by a Tory exists only to make themselves & their pals in the city that bit richer. Get yer heads out of the sand fellahs. The record's stuck, and it's becoming boring.

The word lefties being used over and over and over and over again in every other post ....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735
    CiB wrote:
    A new gear grinder.

Lefties. Always completely obsessed with the idea that only their view can be right.

C'mon. If people didn't think it was right, they wouldn't think it?!?

Everyone thinks their politics is correct. Else they wouldn't think it.

Left, right, up, down, that's the same for everyone.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The Traffic Signs regulations use term merge. They outrank the Highway Code which isn't the "law of the road" as some people would have you believe. A lot of traffic congestion at motorway junctions could be avoid if people merged properly.

In nearly all cases the problems in merging arise from the failure of motorists on the sliproad to use it for what it is there for, which is to accelerate to the speed of traffic already on the motorway. I'm a bit of an eco-driving anorak and tend to cruise at 100kph indicated (about 92kph according to the satnav) and still I'm constantly having to slow down for traffic entering the motorway only to look in disbelief as they dither at 80kph for a minute or two before deciding that actually they want to cruise at 130kph. Does my fecking head in. You can cruise at any speed you like but when entering a motorway match your speed you tw@t.

The dashed lines that separate the sliproad from the motorway are 'Give-Way' lines, just like any other junction where you have to give way to traffic on the main road. Yes, it is courteous to move into the middle lane (if safe) to allow another car to join the motorway, and I do, but only if the feckers are signalling. If they are not, then tough. It grinds my gears the number of motorists who think THEY have right of way joining the motorway, who think they can just drift out from the slip road, who don't signal, and don't even look behind to see if the road is clear.
    why signal, where else do you expect them to go?
  • desweller
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Presumably you'd think it reasonable for drivers in the inside lane to remain in that lane and cause drivers on the slip road to come to a complete stop if there was no space, even if the middle lane is empty?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Dog Breath
    DesWeller wrote:
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Presumably you'd think it reasonable for drivers in the inside lane to remain in that lane and cause drivers on the slip road to come to a complete stop if there was no space, even if the middle lane is empty?

You and Rake are missing the point. It's good driving etiquette ALWAYS to signal every turn at junctions, roundabouts, changing lanes and joining motorways. God knows I do. ALL OF THE TIME!! And often I think that I'm the only one that does. While a driver may think that it is courteous for me to move to the middle lane if it's safe to do so, I expect the same courtesy in return and for them to drive correctly and not just expect everyone to get out of their way because they think they have right of way.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • desweller
    These days the authorities advise new drivers not to indicate unless there is ambiguity about their next course of action. For instance, new drivers are told not to indicate when pulling out to pass a stationary bus.

Anyway, since there is pretty much zero ambiguity about the likely destination of a car travelling down a slip road, what kind of driver would still require them to use indicators to show what they're going to do next? A pretty poor one, I'd say.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • blah blah blah

So they're not signalling, or looking behind, and you're being stubborn and not moving over or letting them out because they haven't signalled.... there's going to be a crash...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Dog Breath wrote:

You and Rake are missing the point. It's good driving etiquette ALWAYS to signal every turn at junctions, roundabouts, changing lanes and joining motorways. God knows I do. ALL OF THE TIME!! And often I think that I'm the only one that does. While a driver may think that it is courteous for me to move to the middle lane if it's safe to do so, I expect the same courtesy in return and for them to drive correctly and not just expect everyone to get out of their way because they think they have right of way.

I'd argue that not signalling to go onto the motorway from the slip road is pretty different from not signalling on a roundabout.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Dog Breath
    There's no ambiguity about it. As I have said, I WILL move to the middle lane to enable cars to join the motorway as long as they are displaying simple consideration in return. Not signalling sends a message that 'I'm pulling out and I expect everyone else to get out of my way'. And the number of drivers that only give a cursory glance in their wing mirror with absolutely no shoulder check is unbelievable.

Quite simply, 'Who has right of way?', 'There are give way lines separating the slip road from the motorway which re-enforces this', and the highway code also says that you should not make any manouever that causes another car to change course or speed. All of these things, many drivers seem to ignore.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • desweller
    <shrug> At a roundabout, or pulling out to overtake on the motorway, I'd agree. But grizzling about lack of indication on joining a motorway from a slip road? Sounds pretty petty to me. As I say, new drivers are specifically taught not to indicate when there's no ambiguity, so you'll just have to revise what you expect.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it just accepted as normal courtesy, i slow to let people move over to the right lane if it just means easing off.dont care whos inducating, i can tell where theyre trying to get.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ...and they can get f******d if they are piddling along at 60mph

...people trying to drive smoothly like that are annoying, ie not accelerating out of the way when they could do when you're trying to join a motorway where pretty much everyone else is going 70 or more. Then the aforementioned berks often pull into the middle lane which oh-so-considerately lets you onto the motorway but you'd have rather found your own gap cos now you're immediately faced with someone going 60 in the middle lane that you need to get around. Someone who's got people who are/wanting to go faster to the left and right of him and still won't drive assertively, cos they're too busy applying their own hyper-miling no-rush values upon everyone else and naffing it up for all and sundry.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dog Breath wrote:
    There's no ambiguity about it. As I have said, I WILL move to the middle lane to enable cars to join the motorway as long as they are displaying simple consideration in return. Not signalling sends a message that 'I'm pulling out and I expect everyone else to get out of my way'. And the number of drivers that only give a cursory glance in their wing mirror with absolutely no shoulder check is unbelievable.

Quite simply, 'Who has right of way?', 'There are give way lines separating the slip road from the motorway which re-enforces this', and the highway code also says that you should not make any manouever that causes another car to change course or speed. All of these things, many drivers seem to ignore.
    What an attitude... Someone who doesn't fit your personal definition of a perfect driver isn't allowed to join your bit of motorway for failing to make it abundantly clear to you personally what is abundantly clearly about to happen anyway, so your decision is that he can slow down even more and have to join the motorway in a less safe manner thanks to your insistence on perfect manners & driving technique? Blimey.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Dog Breath wrote:

No, they are edge of carriageway markings (diagram 1010 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002). Give way markings are 1003 (double row), 1003.1 (for use at roundabouts) and 1003.3 (mini roundabout). There is also no such thing as "right of way". The whole point in making a motorway slip road so long is to give vehicles chance to match their speed with the motorway flow as Cycloslalomeur pointed out earlier and not allowing vehicles to merge just messes up the flow and causes delays for everyone. It's the same at roadworks - if people stayed in the closed lane and merged in turn at the closure point things would move much more easily but some have to stop and try to change lanes half a mile in advance and thereon to the closure whilst others force their way to the front and cut in which just aggrevates others further who take the "I'm not letting you in" attitude.
  • WTF people! :lol: this topic has descended into madness, who originally mentioned the slip road thing anyway?! ...

:oops:

I hate bruised apples :evil:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Forgot to add to my list reality tv shows but particularly where they try to manipulate your emotions.. X Factor do this best/worse. Contestants sob story with how their hamster died when they were 12, the sad music in the background, then when they audition and turn out to be not totally bad, the sweeping uplifting music (normally by one of Cowell's 'artists'), the shot of the audience standing up and cheering and then the judges '1000% yes!'
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    1. Cyclists jumping red lights.
    2. Spitting in public.
    3. Wind.
    4. Tories.

I'm sure there's a million and one more things I could also rant about if I had the time :D
  • 1. Arseholes who you work with who pretend to be your friend but secretly would do anything to stitch you up.
    2.Jealousy.
    3.Women who think they are more attractive than they actually are.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Common misconceptions.

A solid paragraph of text explaining best practise, design standards and highway design principals.

Everyone's a highway Engineer, eh Pross.

For what my second opinion is worth, Pross is spot on.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Muppets who come into work knowing far well they have a cold/cough/etc and then kindly pass it on to another 10 people. They think they're mummy's little soldiers by battling through and coming to work but all they are is selfish ba57ards!

Second time off in 4 weeks, cough this time so have to lay off from training :evil:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Muppets who come into work knowing far well they have a cold/cough/etc and then kindly pass it on to another 10 people. They think they're mummy's little soldiers by battling through and coming to work but all they are is selfish ba57ards!

Second time off in 4 weeks, cough this time so have to lay off from training :evil:

Know what you mean, thing is have time off with a cough/cold and you get told to MTFU by the gaffer, so either way you're onto a loser. :?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • desweller
    jordan_217 wrote:

Know what you mean, thing is have time off with a cough/cold and you get told to MTFU by the gaffer, so either way you're onto a loser. :?

We have a quarterly 'quality' bonus, contingent upon full attendance amongst other things, so people are even more likely to turn up even when they're hacking and coughing like Steptoe on his deathbed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    1. Women who think white hair and orange skin are attractive
    2. TV phone voting for anything
    3. Fake jeopardy on TV (Masterchef especially)
    4. Gobbing (footballers especially)
    5. Footballers
    6. Football
    7. Football interviews (please say something new.. anything... please)
    8. Interviewers of pro cyclists (such as "Does your bike have a basket?" Nicky Cambell-end to Cav)
    9. People who believe I am in awe of their BMW, and wish I had one
    10. Tories
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Mikey2 wrote:
    1. Women who think white hair and orange skin are attractive - oi that's my wife you're talkign about
    2. TV phone voting for anything - I think we should have a poll on that
    3. Fake jeopardy on TV (Masterchef especially) - but how do you choose between them?
    4. Gobbing (footballers especially) - its only natural and surely the TV directors fault
    5. Footballers - just ordinary lads playing a game
    6. Football - big sport
    7. Football interviews (please say something new.. anything... please) - interviwers fault
    8. Interviewers of pro cyclists (such as "Does your bike have a basket?" Nicky Cambell-end to Cav) - well does he?
    9. People who believe I am in awe of their BMW, and wish I had one. Mine is quite nice really, apart from the scrape on the bumper
    10. Tories - Yeah I see your point here
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Headphones. Whenever I wear headphones they seem intent on wrapping themselves around something. Or rather, my complete inability to remember I'm wearing them.

For example: put headphones on, [some time passes], bend over to adjust front brake, stand up = headphones snag on handlebars.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    TV shows (usually from the septics) that endlessly repeat one incident caught on camera as if it is the most amazing thing e.g. Disco Channel show about sharks that repeated a shot a shark taking a dump about 6 times, even my 7yo was telling them to get over it!
    The inane chat you overhear on trains where two people who are not really friends just sit and wait for the other to stop talking instead of actually having a conversation...e.g.
    The two IT geeks that sit on my train talking IT Shite the whole time, that one of them has those Tattoo sleeves like the drummer out of some death metal band only increases my desire to pish on the table they are sitting at.

I am off to lie down now
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    That reminds me!
    11. People who have tattoos and wear clothes to specifically to show them off ( I dont want to see it )