Cyclists For Right Of Way UK Campaign

CyclingsFROWUK
CyclingsFROWUK Posts: 25
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
This is an open community page, feel free to post support and spread the word !!

https://www.facebook.com/CyclistsForRightOfWayUK

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I will NOT be NOT supporting this campaign.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    What are you campaigning for exactly as It's not clear from the facebook page?

I hope you are not suggesting that cyclists should always have "right of way" as that doesn't seem right to me.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Campaigning to make the UK government aware of how unsafe it is for cyclists to ride on UK roads.

To make UK roads cycle friendly just like mainland Europe has adopted

https://www.facebook.com/CyclistsForRightOfWayUk
  • Cool. Where can we learn more about your particular campaign?
  • Campaigning to make the UK government aware of how unsafe it is for cyclists to ride on UK roads.

Is it?

Not finding the bandwagon a little bit squished for space, then?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Just how unsafe are the roads? Generally I find them pretty safe. A little bit of common sense on the roads and mutual respect is mostly what is needed.
  • Cool. Where can we learn more about your particular campaign?

it`s not `my` campaign..it`s for all cyclists to get on board and support !!

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    So is it basically a facebook page supporting The Times' campaign? The title is a bit confusing, and I'm not convinced by what The Times is doing either.
  • CyclingsFROWUK
    CyclingsFROWUK Posts: 25
    edited February 2012
    BigMat wrote:
    So is it basically a facebook page supporting The Times' campaign? The title is a bit confusing, and I'm not convinced by what The Times is doing either.

NO..no..it`s a Facebook page to campaign to make the UK government implement the rule for cyclist to have right of way, like mainland Europe has , making drivers more aware, roads more safer

• sketchley
    You think cyclist should have right of way? Any exceptions to this? Would you care to expand?
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    BigMat wrote:

NO..NO..it`s a Facebook page to campaign to make the UK government implement the rule for cyclist to have right of way, like mainland Europe has , making drivers more aware, roads more safer

A worthy sentiment, but seeing as the Facebook page was set up less than 24 hours ago, it very much feels like bandwagon jumping. What made you decide to set the page up? The 5 Live phone in show, the Flashride around Parliament Square or the Commons debate? Or is it just a coincidence?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    without reading and with a stonking hangover, I'm guessing he is referring to the liability laws in Europe that came up in yesterdays debate..
  • sketchley
    iPete wrote:
    without reading and with a stonking hangover, I'm guessing he is referring to the liability laws in Europe that came up in yesterdays debate..

But "strict liability" and "right of way" are very very different things....
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Surely liability laws are different from right of way. We have right of way as cyclists in more places than motor vehicles do.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Is he talking about Strict Liability?

/shrugs

I actively shrug at anything connected with Facebook, as it's mostly 'tards mouthing off. A bit like me in this post I suppose.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Possibly mixing up right of way, priority and strict/assumed liability?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The Facebook page is nothing more than links to Youtube videos, The Times' campaign and BBC footage about yesterday's debate.

I think the OP needs to think about what they actually want and then realise that other people are on the case already and just chill out as they are doing a better job of it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

This page is set up to campaign for the UK government to implement Right of way for cyclists in the UK.

An increase in cycling and safe conditions to cycle in could solve a multitude of problems from,
    improving public health,
    reducing obesity,
    reducing congestion on streets,
    lightening the burden on public transport,
    less wear on roads,
    making our streets and cities more pleasant places,
    providing independence for children.

• dodgy wrote:
    I actively shrug at anything connected with Facebook, as it's mostly 'tards mouthing off. A bit like me in this post I suppose.

You owe me a new keyboard! PMSL :lol::lol::lol:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • sketchley
    OK I get what you are saying but "right of way" already has an established meaning in law relating to use of roads. If you are not using it in that context I suggest using something different that more accurately reflect what it is you are trying to say.
    --
    Chris

• asprilla

I can read this, but I don't understand it.

In some parts of Europe there have been massive investments in infrastructure for cycling. In other parts of Europe there is no such infrastructure but there are different driver attitudes to cycling. In yet more areas of Europe there are laws designed to offer greater protection for cyclists.

As far as I'm aware there isn't an all encompassing infrastructure investment, driver / cyclist education programme and massive alignment of legislation across Europe to bring all EU member states (even though you just refer to mainland Europe) into line.

What are you actually campaigning for?

'What do we want?"
    "Dunno!"
    "When do we want it?"
    "Now!"
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3

This page is set up to campaign for the UK government to implement Right of way for cyclists in the UK.

An increase in cycling and safe conditions to cycle in could solve a multitude of problems from,
    improving public health,
    reducing obesity,
    less wear on roads,

You don't seem to be able to articulate what it is you're advocating (specifically, what right of way for cyclists like mainland Europe means). Nor, it seems, from your responses do you understand what you're advocating.

How do you expect to garner support?

(You may not realise it, but the members of this forum have discussed the pros and cons of a range of road and traffic measures to improve cycling in this country. The range of views is generally quite refined and well developed. It's unlikely, I'd suggest, that many people here will be impressed by a Facebook page and a user account less than 24 hours old telling us to support some wholly undefined proposal.)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well putting it on Facebook is a fail. Lots of people aren't part of the Zuckerberg (sic) data theft bandwagon, me for instance, so I'm never even going to read your bumpf.

Srsly, wtf is up with so many organisations limiting promotional stuff to facepalm these days? P1sses me off..
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Greg66 wrote:
    Campaigning to make the UK government aware of how unsafe it is for cyclists to ride on UK roads.

improving public health,
    reducing obesity,
    less wear on roads,

You don't seem to be able to articulate what it is you're advocating (specifically, what right of way for cyclists like mainland Europe means). Nor, it seems, from your responses do you understand what you're advocating.

How do you expect to garner support?

(You may not realise it, but the members of this forum have discussed the pros and cons of a range of road and traffic measures to improve cycling in this country. The range of views is generally quite refined and well developed. It's unlikely, I'd suggest, that many people here will be impressed by a Facebook page and a user account less than 24 hours old telling us to support some wholly undefined proposal.)
    I can't put my finger on what it is, but something of CyclingsFROWUK's style reminds me of another single-agenda poster on this forum.....
  • Facebook campaigns can change the world. Just look at... er.

A noble cause, but the Facebook page is essentially pointless.
  • Compared to cycling on French, Dutch, German roads..cycling on Uk roads is dire, that`s what this campaign is about to get all fellow cyclists to support and change the governments stance on UK cyclists safety

Needs support to make it work , https://www.facebook.com/CyclistsForRightOfWayUk
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Compared to cycling on French, Dutch, German roads..cycling on Uk roads is dire, that`s what this campaign is about to get all fellow cyclists to support and change the governments stance on UK cyclists safety

Needs support to make it work , https://www.facebook.com/CyclistsForRightOfWayUk

You need to be clear about:

a) what you perceive the problem to be;
    b) what you propose should be done about it;
    c) why signing up to this facebook page will help.

It appears that nobody in this forum has a clue what your position is, save for some vague "lets make it better like in Europe" aspiration (Europe is a big place, by the way - I understand that cycling in, by way of example, Moscow is appalling even by UK comparisons, also cycling between cities in parts of Scandinavia is practically impossible although they have lovely bike paths in town).

I don't personally mean to criticize, but you have a lot of work to do before you have anything even approaching worthwhile. If you properly engage people here you might be able to make some progress (and try and ignore the snipers!)
  • asprilla
    Compared to cycling on French, Dutch, German roads..cycling on Uk roads is dire, that`s what this campaign is about to get all fellow cyclists to support and change the governments stance on UK cyclists safety

But what do you want? You have a campaign to make bad things good and wrong things right, perhaps with some extra niceness thrown in.

Oh, and cycling on roads in Germany can be utterly fucking horrible.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • it`s a Facebook page for ALL cyclists, NOT a company..NOT an individual...

jump on board , make it work !!

• asprilla
    it`s a Facebook page for ALL cyclists, NOT a company..NOT an individual...

jump on board , make it work !!

Make what work?

Am I on the end of a line here?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
This discussion has been closed.