Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Is this anonymity for a reason?

(yes that is me)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Paul E wrote:

(yes that is me)

Anonymity is surely de riguer on internet forums? And if you choose to give your identity, then that's fine. Not the other way around.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

(yes that is me)

Anonymity is surely de riguer on internet forums? And if you choose to give your identity, then that's fine. Not the other way around.
    Indeed, I find the odd obsession with "outing" people against their wishes a bit stalkery.

For the life of me I wouldn't be able to identify any of you chaps on the road (although you all seem to know each other) but nor am I particularly interested in doing so. Each to their own.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    W1 wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm such a cynic - I just don't believe that the focus was on ASL enforcement.

The rozzers really need to start doing that down by Vauxhall Bridge/Embankment - it's a complete joke some mornings.
    What time of day do you usually go through VB/Embankment, W1?

Anytime between 6:30 and 8 am, and 7pm-1am.

Where do you get your reflectives?

Ahhhhhhhhhh - is W1 the chap on the black hybird thing with panniers and reflective tape on the frame. Usually wears a peaked helmet and red gore (I think) top. Reasonable....ish pace?

Er, no chaps - sorry.

Ah, right. Genuine request as I saw the hours you said you passed through the VB/Embankment on page 1 and I've seen a regular commuter, who also takes the southbank route, commuting at these not-so-sociable hours.

I need to change the reflective strips on my seat stays and head tube.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Ah, right. Genuine request as I saw the hours you said you passed through the VB/Embankment on page 1 and I've seen a regular commuter, who also takes the southbank route, commuting at these not-so-sociable hours.

I need to change the reflective strips on my seat stays and head tube.[/quote]

Lies, you are a nasty stalking type person, how dare you!

(just saying before paranoia sets in)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I get mine from http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/

They do SOSAS rated reflective tape and prices are reasonable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

(yes that is me)

Indeed, I find the odd obsession with "outing" people against their wishes a bit stalkery.

For the life of me I wouldn't be able to identify any of you chaps on the road (although you all seem to know each other) but nor am I particularly interested in doing so. Each to their own.

Tish and fipsy!

You've called people out on the SCR Thread, you forfeit your right to do that when you choose to remain anonymous.
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

(yes that is me)

Tish and fipsy!

You've called people out on the SCR Thread, you forfeit your right to do that when you choose to remain anonymous.
    Yeah? Who, precisely?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Weres there not several pages of discussion when you claimed to see other members RLJ/pootling/insert correct allegation here?
  • W1
    iPete wrote:
    Weres there not several pages of discussion when you claimed to see other members RLJ/pootling/insert correct allegation here?

Nope, I mentioned no names. In return, some people got a bit "witch hunty".
  • Since most (or at least the ones I see) ASL are impossible to do legally, need a feeder lane.

i find it hard to get too worked up about them. cars etc RLJing are much more a issue.
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Tish and fipsy!

Yeah? Who, precisely?

So coy...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    W1 wrote:
    As one of main the witch hunters, I owe you an apology. My intention was to be a leg puller rather than a witch hunter, but I acknowledge the whole thing may have gone a bit too far...

Edit: I also offended NSB by outing him as a (marginal) RLJ-er, so I'm not picking on you :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • notsoblue
    TGOTB wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    As one of main the witch hunters, I owe you an apology. My intention was to be a leg puller rather than a witch hunter, but I acknowledge the whole thing may have gone a bit too far...

Edit: I also offended NSB by outing him as a (marginal) RLJ-er, so I'm not picking on you :-)
    Too right you did. My reputation was flawless before then!
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    W1 wrote:

From memory, NSB outed himself by saying he was the only red Planet X rider on that route!

As an aside, I'm sure I've seen more than one.
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    From memory, NSB outed himself by saying he was the only red Planet X rider on that route!

You said I was slow. :evil:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Here, who was that pseudo-intellectual who argued in favour of RLJ that time - we kind of outed him / her as his daughter / her father or something?

I know I'm being vague - I've only just thought about this... and have very quiet bells ringing somewhere
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:

You said I was slow. :evil:

I think I said you weren't as fast as I was expecting, if indeed it was you. Take it as a compliment.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    I can confirm that there is another red PX, although it has black hoods and bar tape rather than NSB's white. Also, the rider is a bit taller than NSB.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    W1 wrote:

From memory he said he wasn't the only one on that route.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    mar_k wrote:
    Can some one please tell me what an ASL is?

Advanced stop line

The area reserved for bikes at traffic lights

No it's not.

Vehicles (including cycles) are not allowed to move over the first white line when the light is red, if they do they commit an offence (yes, that includes you on your bike) *

If a vehicle crosses the first white line, and then the light goes red it must stop at the second white line.

* cyclist may circumvent this by using the filter lane for cyclists to pass the first white line without crossing it.

Note cars can legally occupy the area.
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    I get mine from http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/

They do SOSAS rated reflective tape and prices are reasonable.

Cheers.

Just realised: only about two more months of darkness. Hurrah?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    prj45 wrote:
    mar_k wrote:

Advanced stop line

No it's not.

Vehicles (including cycles) are not allowed to move over the first white line when the light is red, if they do they commit an offence (yes, that includes you on your bike) *

If a vehicle crosses the first white line, and then the light goes red it must stop at the second white line.

* cyclist may circumvent this by using the filter lane for cyclists to pass the first white line without crossing it.

And you think the Police would prosecute a cyclist crossing the first white line rather than using the filter lane? I think not. And its intent is for it to be reserved for cyclists - that's correct. As with many traffic laws, the subtleties are often complex. I wasn't trying to quote the Highway Code nor any Road Traffic Act.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    And you think the Police would prosecute a cyclist crossing the first white line rather than using the filter lane? I think not.

Why not, it's exactly the same offence as when done in a car or on a motorbike.

It's law I break multiple times a day.

We can't really ask police to ignore law breaking for one set of road users only can we?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cjcp wrote:

I've got some reflective hedgehogs left over from decorating the kids' bikes - all your if you want them :lol:
  • cjcp
    Gussio wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I've got some reflective hedgehogs left over from decorating the kids' bikes - all your if you want them :lol:

How many? :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cjcp wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

How many? :D

A whole flock of the spikey little blighters
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    prj45 wrote:
    And you think the Police would prosecute a cyclist crossing the first white line rather than using the filter lane? I think not.

We can't really ask police to ignore law breaking for one set of road users only can we?

I'm not asking the police to ignore it but the law (and I'm taking your word for it) is a little bit daft "Cyclists are allowed to pass this white line but only if they go around the paint and not over it". That's why I doubt that it is enforced anywhere. Fortunately the police tend to exercise some common sense. It used to be illegal to cross the double white lines in almost any circumstance but everybody did it (to pass a slow bicycle safely for instance) and, eventually the law fell in line with common sense.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prj45 wrote:

I'm not asking the police to ignore it but the law (and I'm taking your word for it) is a little bit daft "Cyclists are allowed to pass this white line but only if they go around the paint and not over it". That's why I doubt that it is enforced anywhere. Fortunately the police tend to exercise some common sense. It used to be illegal to cross the double white lines in almost any circumstance but everybody did it (to pass a slow bicycle safely for instance) and, eventually the law fell in line with common sense.

the no crossing double white lines has that exeption of under 11mph.

But crossing a white stop line has no such exeption which also means that some ASL are impossble to use legally.

The law maybe a ass, and you'd expect the police to be sensible about it, but also why ASL are frankly pointless.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    prj45 wrote:
    mar_k wrote:

Advanced stop line

No it's not.

This silly law is (hopefully) soon to be done away with. Check out the DfT's recent document: "Signing the Way" *(my bolds):
    TSRGD currently only permits cyclist access to the ASL through either the gate or cycle lead in lane. This requires cyclists to use the cycle lane where conflicts can occur with turning traffic. The review provides further flexibility in the design of ASLs recommending the removal of the requirement for a lead-in lane or gate, allowing cyclists to access the ASL as they require. There will also be flexibility to provide part-width ASLs which can provide protection where there is no right-turn movement.

We'll soon be able to sleep better knowing that we are not contravening the TSRGD when the law finally gets changed...

*http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/signing-the-way/signing-the-way.pdf P.33