Classic

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Sketchley wrote:
    CRICKETER Neil Fairbrother hit a single during a Durham v Lancashire
    match, inspiring Bobby Simpson to observe: "With his lovely soft hands
    he just tossed it off."

I put them all in the one post. So I've shot my load and don't have any more double entendres.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    JAMES Allen interviewing Ralf Schumacher at a Grand Prix, asked: "What
    does it feel like being rammed up the backside by Barrichello?"
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sketchley wrote:
    he just tossed it off."

Good work with just keeping on popping in to through in the muck ;-)

I also can't believe that we haven't brought up hair colour yet as sexual orientation and race already have! High school was great fun when you're an intelligent spectacle wearing ginger. Oddly I didn't quite fit neatly into your typical nerd/geek box as I was also a rather handy athlete. Top that off with getting voted head boy I may as well just had a red target painted on my back :lol:

Funnily enough I never considered myself to be part of the "in" crowd when I was at high school but thinking back now I think I got away fairly lightly!

On the subject of ginger hair, why does it seem (to me at least) that girls can carry it off easier then boys? 3 of mine have ginger hair (all girls) and there are a few more at school. Funnily some of the parents (and teachers) automatically assumed someone else's ginger haired child was one of ours :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    On the subject of ginger hair, why does it seem (to me at least) that girls can carry it off easier then boys? 3 of mine have ginger hair (all girls) and there are a few more at school. Funnily some of the parents (and teachers) automatically assumed someone else's ginger haired child was one of ours :-D

One of yours more like . . .

Given your outrageous feats of procreation it's a fair bet that you have impregnated many woman just by standing up wind of them.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My missus has a full shock of ginger hair and all she gets is compliments. I have the faintest touch of copper in my otherwise nordic locks and I am brutally bullied by everyone - including her.

Snot fair.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    My missus has a full shock of ginger hair and all she gets is compliments. I have the faintest touch of copper in my otherwise nordic locks and I am brutally bullied by everyone - including her.

Snot fair.

That is because red headed women are hot and red headed men smell like piss

fact

with the exception of Bassetc - he looks handy and with Christmas coming up he may drop me at the "do" . .

Smelling of piss and being handy are not mutually exclusive
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • clarkey cat
    Funnily enough that's exactly what she says.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    @GregT Still on fine form I see :-)

Actually both myself and my brother where gingers but have "mellowed" somewhat as we got older. Mine normally gets a bit lighter in the summer but was never really the orangey ginger that my girls have, unless I put some blonde colouring through it which has the effect of making it a lot more vibrant ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • clarkey cat
    PHWOAR!!!!

lewis1.jpg
    [/b]
  • I dunno, I find red hair pretty attractive on either gender.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sketchley wrote:
    he just tossed it off."

Good work with just keeping on popping in to through in the muck ;-)

I also can't believe that we haven't brought up hair colour yet as sexual orientation and race already have! High school was great fun when you're an intelligent spectacle wearing ginger. Oddly I didn't quite fit neatly into your typical nerd/geek box as I was also a rather handy athlete. Top that off with getting voted head boy I may as well just had a red target painted on my back :lol:

Funnily enough I never considered myself to be part of the "in" crowd when I was at high school but thinking back now I think I got away fairly lightly!

It should be made illegal for Gingers to procreate.

Although I have a ginger beard
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm astonished people are querying whether calling someone a "black basdart" in any context is racist or not :shock:

As for chavs, its a bit more complicated given that the origins of the word are unclear. The Council House and Violent acronym sounds to me like it came after the word. Could be of romany origin, or referring to locals of Chatham area. Its current meaning though is derogatory and against a sector of society that its easy to criticise - I think they deserve it sometimes, so might occasionally use the word, but not indiscriminately. Its not the same as abusing someone for race, gender, hair colour etc - "chavs" can in most cases stop being chavs (in the sense that I tend to be critical of).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,376
    Only a ginger can call a ginger ginger
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    BigMat - why should they [stop being a 'chav']?

Muslims can stop being Muslims if they wanted to - doesn't mean that prejudice against them is acceptable.
  • bigmat
    BigMat - why should they [stop being a 'chav']?

Muslims can stop being Muslims if they wanted to - doesn't mean that prejudice against them is acceptable.

They shouldn't if they don't want to. But (in most cases) they could. I do get where you're coming from in that its frequently used as a means of slagging off the poor, and because I don't like that its not a term I use very often.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm astonished people are querying whether calling someone a "black basdart" in any context is racist or not :shock:

There's a difference between pertaining to race and racially motivated,

An abuisve comment in the heat of a football match doesn't mean Terry's a racist.

I'm not for one minute saying that what he said was acceptable or right (it's not) but let's not go overboard here. Is it really something the police should be investigating?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm more lenient with chat like that towards the privileged. It's not great, but they're in a position to suck it up.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion (on an academic level)? How does being "privileged" make you immune to derogatory terms? Why should anyone just "suck it up"? You're showing your double standards again Rick.

Like clockwork ;)

I do have double standards, no doubt.

I justify it like this: the underprivileged need more support, to balance out the natural imbalance against them.

The over-privileged, since they're in that position, need no support, since they get more than their fair share anyway.

And by support I don't mean the doll etc before you go off on that one.

From someone who considers themselves to be argue "from a reasonably academic stance" that's completely unjustifiable crap. You appear to assume that privilege buys thick skin, or at least it should. Whereas, more realistically, the opposite should be true, don't you think?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm more lenient with chat like that towards the privileged. It's not great, but they're in a position to suck it up.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion (on an academic level)? How does being "privileged" make you immune to derogatory terms? Why should anyone just "suck it up"? You're showing your double standards again Rick.

Like clockwork ;)

Actually I was a bit late - I hadn't realised this thread was a lefty-hypocrite love in.

No surprise to find you here though!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    BigMat wrote:

An abuisve comment in the heat of a football match doesn't mean Terry's a racist.

I'm not for one minute saying that what he said was acceptable or right (it's not) but let's not go overboard here. Is it really something the police should be investigating?

I don't think we should underestimate how this will rub off on thousands of kids across the country. It's a shame because he himself is a complete and utter t*sser. Throw the book at him I say. Fine him as much as possible and give it to good causes.

This muppet has remortgaged his house 5 times apparently to pay off gambling debts, £170k a week obviously isn't enough.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tim Minchin's ace!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it.
    Well then, the least you could do is wear a telltale ear ring or something.

Nah, sometimes I quite like the shock and general discomfort it causes...!

Actually, I'd be interested, how would you lot feel if your kids did turn out to be gay? I'd just be interested to know how you would respond? Would you be angry? Feel like a failure? Would anyone actually not give a jot? Why? I'd be interested in your genuine thoughts and completely understand, don't spare us the truth!

I wouldn't mind really and my mrs's words were "at least he would be clean" :lol:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    JonGinge wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tim Minchin's ace!

That is a great sketch :-)

I think the point I was trying to get across earlier was that I see 2 types on non-PC terms that can be applied to groups of people. One describes an attribute about that particular group that they can't change (skin colour, sexuality) and the other describes an attribute that they could change if they so wish (hair colour, religion, social grouping, body shape) - some of these maybe more difficult to alter then others but they could, at least in theory, change so a Christian can convert to Islam, a snob could turn into a chav and people can dye their hair.

I'm not for one second suggesting that anyone should have to change just because they fall into one of these groups, I just find terms from the first group more offensive/less acceptable as those people really don't have the option to do anything about "it".
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    On the subject of ginger hair, why does it seem (to me at least) that girls can carry it off easier then boys?

Because of this. (Probably the worst version of that song, but the explanation's all)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    :lol: very good!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

OK, what is the difference between "pertining to race" and "racially motivated"? I'm going to assume Terry made the alleged comments here - he may not have, just like Armstrong may not have doped. What is the relevance of the guy's skin colour in that insult if it isn't intended to be part of the insult? He didn't call him a tall basdart, or a skilful basdart. He might have called him an ugly basdart, or a lanky basdart. The point is in his tiny mine, the preface "black" is derogatory, and part of the abuse. Its clearly racist. Shoud the police be investigating? Well its a widely publicised incident. Terry is England captain. It sends out all sorts of negative messages. If not the police, the FA and his club should be throwing the book at him.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sigh....

Big Mat and TWH,

It's all about connotations.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    W1 wrote:
    [

From someone who considers themselves to be argue "from a reasonably academic stance" that's completely unjustifiable crap. You appear to assume that privilege buys thick skin, or at least it should. Whereas, more realistically, the opposite should be true, don't you think?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm talking about cultural attitudes.

Nothing to do with thick skins, small fry jokes.

It's more broader and more fundamental than that. Cultural discrimination against under-privileged reinforces the problem. Cultural discrimination against people with MORE privilege than is fair, is redressing the balance. Within reason of course.

You can see that logic can't you? Even if you don't agree with it.

That's the issue which is at the heart of the 'why can we make jokes at the expense of white christians, but not non-white muslims?' < though the issue is clearly broader and more fundamental than that little example.

As an aside, if being aware of one's own assumptions and trying to logically justify them isn't reasonably academic, than what is?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    W1 wrote:
    [

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm talking about cultural attitudes.

Nothing to do with thick skins, small fry jokes.

It's more broader and more fundamental than that. Cultural discrimination against under-privileged reinforces the problem. Cultural discrimination against people with MORE privilege than is fair, is redressing the balance. Within reason of course.

You can see that logic can't you? Even if you don't agree with it.

That's the issue which is at the heart of the 'why can we make jokes at the expense of white christians, but not non-white muslims?' < though the issue is clearly broader and more fundamental than that little example.

As an aside, if being aware of one's own assumptions and trying to logically justify them isn't reasonably academic, than what is?

Nope I disagree, that's advocating hyprocrisy. It's like saying it's not OK to racist about Black people but it is OK to be racist against White people because it re-addresses the balance of racism...

Double standard, the outrage.

I do however, understand that this logic is in fact more commonplace in society than my idealistic values (above) Blackface = bad and White chicks = somewhat funny

During the Labour Government newspapers were littered with an anti-middle class rhetoric, snobs were outlawed. Now to almost re-address the social unbalance newspapers are going after the 'Great Unwashed'.

So yeah it does happen, a necessary evil.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah. Maybe in explaining the logic I'm coming over a little extreme.

It's not ideal, but, as I said above, I'm less fussed about over-privileged stuff. It's not ideal.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Labour's anti-middle class rhetoric? lol...

I think calling cultural discrimination against the privileged hypocritical is missing the point of why discrimination is generally a bad thing and why society seeks to prevent it through legislation, codes of conduct etc...