The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• rorym
    rorym Posts: 13
    supersonic wrote:
    In the FAQ there is a simple guide for all you need to get going. Is from Deal Extreme though, so times are variable. These are tried and tested units. For shorter times, will have to google model names for for another source.

Thanks for that, I looked in the FAQ at some of the older postings but managed to miss the great big link in 24pt text.
    That recommends the Ultrafire from DX as you mentioned which looks like a decent bit of kit.

After searching through the thousands of options online, these look decent too. Has anyone tried one of these? Ebay link

The guy selling them reckons they're in the UK, and they come with charger and battery (although looking online it seems these particular batteries are a bit crap so I'd probably order some better ones as backup)
    I'm more interested in the fact that the torch itself is a little smaller and lighter than the one in the FAQ, and would be available within a week. Last time I ordered my Magicshine it took about 2 months to arrive so I'd rather avoid DX or their ilk if possible.

Cheers for any replies.

RM
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks a good deal from a UK seller: doesn't state output in amps, may get a little hot at full blast with the smaller body. Worth a punt!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Brightness

Just worth correcting than none of these lights can be described as dim. Since we are unanimously talking about XM-L T6 or U2, with different heads etc and the lowest driven option is at 1.4A, they are all going to produce minimum 400 Lumen.

binning

A comment on U2. I'm not sure I'd trust one of the far east suppliers to ship a U2, since it is identical to a T6, you have no way of knowing unless you bench it. That said its only a couple of quid more.

Cells
    Ideally you want quality Japanese cells as they are better quality than the cheaper Li-ions. Its not just about Ah, protected vs unprotected. Different cells are designed with different discharge characteristics. Hence those found in laptops will consistently outperform cells with a higher Ah.

There is a good review here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/Batteries18650-2011%20UK.html

Mount

I'd go for this one:
    http://www.manafont.com/product_info.ph ... ter-p-3345

Charger

Single cell chargers are a false economy. Invariably you end up needing to charge 2, 4, or 6 cells and for the 8 quid cost the high current recommend digital charger in my sig is the best option. If you need one quick there is an ebay seller who sell them. I will update my sig.
  • nil1121
    nil1121 Posts: 71
    I can second what DIY has just said, these lights are not dim in anyway.

I went out with the kids for a short night ride on friday and we only had 1 each of the 501b-T6 xml 500 lumens lights and that produced more than enough light to ride in.

just waiting for my order from Manafont for second lights for all of us which are the going to be the same.
  • http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smooth- ... -904482507

Ordered t6 xml lights from DX but from the UK supplier on 19 Oct hoping it would be a bit quicker, i used their online chat support thing 2weeks ago, to see what's happening and was told it be shipped next week. Last week nothing happened with the order so asked again for an update and was told it be shipped in 1-3 days, again nothing happened

Now i've noticed the UK warehouse is saying its all out of stock. hmmmmmmm trying to get some answers but not getting very far, anybody in same boat? really could do with the lights now that the clocks have changed :(
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • lights from manafont have come last week but still not received my order from DX which was placed on the 12th oct. dont think i will be using them again. Stuff from manafont was ordered on the 19th oct.
  • I cancelled a DX order, was told for 2 weeks on the chat system it will be delivered in 1-3 days. 501b torch is in stock on the website but my order was status "backorder". i also won't be using them again. i'm waiting on some clamps still from a order back in September was dispatched but never received.
  • I've just cancelled it and raised a claim with paypal, finally got to some answers and ..........it will be shipped 1-3 days. Its been like that since I ordered.

I get paid in 2weeks, think I'll splash out and get a nice set from CRC.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • manafont take about 2 weeks to deliver, have oredered twice from them and bothabout 2 weeks.
  • Shall take a look, thanks
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've had pretty good service from DX on both my orders. The first one placed in September took 3 weeks to arrive and the second order placed on 28th Oct was split with the mount shipped on 2nd Nov and the 501B torch shipped today.

I've also ordered a Xtar WP2 II charger from an ebay seller shipped from China as the DX one I have that has been recommended on here is rubbish and I've gone with Xtar 2600mAh batteries for the new torch after reading good things about them. The batteries arrived quickly from TorchyTheBatteryBoy's ebay store and once the rest turns up I'll post my findings.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150626591516? ... 1497.l2649
    I got this one and it took 18-19 days to arrive, great little unit.
    With the head band it is great for walking the dog and also as a working light in garage etc.
    If you have no power in garage or shed, this light is all you need.
    Fast flash lets you be seen and also see the road clearly.
    Just ordered another one.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    C8 XML T6 for $17
    501B XML U2 for $15

Review: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/1010

I went for C8.
  • Received my DX order 2 1/2 weeks after ordering. Pretty good if you ask me. 2 510 lumen torches and a 1200 lumen magic shine rip off. Only problem is they sent me a 900 lumen one. Raised a service dispute and am awaiting their response.

Not really that fussed cos I've been out on 2 rides and I'm thoroughly impressed. Can see no probs wit the magic shine and a torch on the bars and a torch on my helmet. Pretty good to see rabbits and foxes darting infront of you

Just a question about getting the best from my trust fire batteries..... I have 2 sets. 1 lot for use, 1 spare set. How long will charged batteries stay charged for? When I've been on a 40 min ride should I charge when I get back or wait till my next ride to charge? Best to store them charged or not? Are the Li-ion? Do they suffer from memory? Do the torches get dimmer as the power gets less as the batteries are used or do they stay at full brightness until they turn off?
  • i ordered this lot on the 1st. less than £60!

1 13095 TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)
    1 13820 OEM 2*18650 Lithium Battery Charger (110V~240V AC)
    1 02709 Universal UK Travel Power Adapter Plug
    1 31871 Universal Adjustable Bicycle Mount for Flashlights
    2 12000 Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers
    2 15342 Universal Bicycle Mount (22mm~32.8mm) x2 Packing
    1 20392 TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V True 2400mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack)
    2 55241 UltraFire WF-501B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650)

so whats the deal with charging batteries and safety? and also, thermal paste, tin foil on the diode to transfer heat. will i need to do this lights to the? strip down and de grease?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some good info here on cells:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... aintenance

If your torches are the lower power ones as the output suggests, should be no need to mod them for over heating.
  • Quick one (probably a stupid one but I need to double check) .... on my magic shines, does the charger light turn green when the battery is charged?
  • Looking at buying the following, could I do any better for the money at Manafont:

2 of these for the bars and one for the helmet: Torches
    2 packs of these Batteries
    A couple of cahrgers
    And couple of bar mountsl
    Just need something for the helmet mount.

Ta,
    Sam
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    supersonic wrote:

More good info on looking after lithium cells below but what is very important for the majority of cheap chargers is to remove the cells from the charger as soon the the light goes green as it may not completely shut off and overcharging knackers the cells.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries
  • fat_homer wrote:
    Looking at buying the following, could I do any better for the money at Manafont:

2 of these for the bars and one for the helmet: Torches
    2 packs of these Batteries
    A couple of cahrgers
    And couple of bar mountsl
    Just need something for the helmet mount.

Ta,
    Sam

i bought these for the helmet mouint and work very well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ADJ ... 3cbdfeaee2
  • diy

so whats the deal with charging batteries and safety? and also, thermal paste, tin foil on the diode to transfer heat. will i need to do this lights to the? strip down and de grease?

Neither of those lights need any thermal tinkering, so it wont need anything unless it has common faults covered in my youtube video (see link in my sig).

Charging cells:

1 charge in a reasonably fire proof place
    2 don't charge for more than 4 hours
    3 check they are not getting too hot during charge
    4 don't run them flat - i.e. don't let them go below 3.6v
  • supersonic wrote:
    Some good info here on cells:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... aintenance

If your torches are the lower power ones as the output suggests, should be no need to mod them for over heating.
    WOW :shock: That is some great in depth info - Cheers 8)
  • Anyone know what the actual LED's look like? I ordered a Magic shine copy bike light from DX - the XML-T6 1200 lumen version and when it came the box said it was the 900 lumen version.

After a bit of to and fro with DX and them asking me to send a pic of the LED to them, their response is that it is the XML-T6 1200 lumen version but in the wrong box. Being slightly sceptical I'm after advice - so is this the XML T6 or really the 900 lumen SSC P7 as the box shows.....
  • Looks like an XMl to me. It's deffo NOT an SSC P7 which is quad core and looks like 4 smaller squares making up a larger square (if that makes sense).

I'm pretty certain you've got the XM-L light.

XM-L
    http://img.deusm.com/designnews/287/287 ... L_LEDs.jpg

P7
    http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/10 ... Nb9Y73.jpg

• ^^^^thanks for that. Seems like DX were telling the truth. There is a clear difference between the P7 and T6 LED
  • diy
    Its an XM-l - no way of knowing its its t4,5,6 or u2 etc without testing. Its likely to be a t6.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Quick one (probably a stupid one but I need to double check) .... on my magic shines, does the charger light turn green when the battery is charged?

Mine turns green when it's fully charged buddy - I have the MJ 872. Hope that helps?

Just to add, I got the MJ 872 from magicshine on ebay for £89.. I know it's not the cheapest, but delivery took 2 days, and the power output is astounding.. so bright! Battery life is really good too (so far), and 50% & 75% power options are more than enough, even on the downs. 25% power is plenty for the ups and flats.

link to the ebay light here

Coupled with 2 300lm torches on my lid, it was pretty much like riding in daylight :D
  • Following the advice from the sticky "What Lights" I purchased those in the THE SIMPLE ALL YOU NEED TO GET GOING SET UP from Manafont. Two weeks later they arrived and were charged right away. The torch lasted all of 5 minutes! this was indoors while i was faffing about with the bar mount. A quick online search led( no pun intended) me to believe that it was the switch that was broken and after shorting across the battery and case the light came on, so it was the switch. The problem was that when the switch was screwed back onto the battery compartment, the switch was not touching internally-the outside of the casing was flush to the battery casing. A quick 0.5mm/20thou skim of the switch base was enough to allow contact between the switch and battery casing.Problem solved.
    15q5dll.jpg

If this has been posted previously then my apologies. Hopefully it will help someone else who has experienced this problem.

as for the torch? it works great :D
  • diy
    Did you check the internal ring was tight first?

There is an internal ring that holds the switch tight, if its lose it prevents the tail from closing up properly and the switch fails. It can be tightened with a nail or similar.
  • diy wrote:
    Did you check the internal ring was tight first?

There is an internal ring that holds the switch tight, if its lose it prevents the tail from closing up properly and the switch fails. It can be tightened with a nail or similar.

yes i spotted that but it was ok.