The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Has anyone tried one of the smaller torches using 3.6v 14500 cells?

I've started commuting and I'd like to have the option to use a smaller light on my lid - trading run time for size.

At the moment I've got my basic MTB set-up with a 510b XML-2... this gives me a comfortable 2+ hours on MED. As my commute is about 45 mins I was thinking I could get away with something giving a similar output but using a smaller cell for a shorter run-time... so maybe another XML-2 but in a 14500 body with a 3.6v cell.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Bartimaeus wrote:

I've started commuting and I'd like to have the option to use a smaller light on my lid - trading run time for size.

At the moment I've got my basic MTB set-up with a 510b XML-2... this gives me a comfortable 2+ hours on MED. As my commute is about 45 mins I was thinking I could get away with something giving a similar output but using a smaller cell for a shorter run-time... so maybe another XML-2 but in a 14500 body with a 3.6v cell.

I've been using a old right angled head torch for the last couple of years that runs of a CR123A Li-Ion battery (4.2v, as most rechargeable Li-Ion batteries are... 3.6v tend to be the non rechargeable versions) but you can get forward pointing lights with more modern XM-L2 emitters in a similar sized package, such as the Olight S10R Baton or S1 Baton...

m03575_1_.jpg

Kind of depends if your looking to shorten the length or the width of your current headlight?
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    This looks interesting and cheap if you have a supply of 18650 batteries, for only £12.21 delivered

http://www.dx.com/p/t6-2-led-1600lm-5-mode-neutral-white-bike-head-light-w-belt-clip-2-x-18650-420659#.VrY3bVKOMQI

sku_420659_1.jpg
    sku_420659_2.jpg
    sku_420659_7.jpg
  • Ouija
    edited February 2016
    tincaman wrote:
    This looks interesting and cheap if you have a supply of 18650 batteries, for only £12.21 delivered

http://www.dx.com/p/t6-2-led-1600lm-5-mode-neutral-white-bike-head-light-w-belt-clip-2-x-18650-420659#.VrY3bVKOMQI

sku_420659_1.jpg
    sku_420659_2.jpg
    sku_420659_7.jpg

Got one. Ordered it a few days after ordering my Fenix BC30 (just because it was cheap and kinda similar) to see which one i liked the most. It's essentially a copy of a Fenix LD50 torch, only with a dedicated bar mount for a bike. Unlike the BC30 though, it's a very spotty light (the BC30 has a big old flood type of beam). I put some freznel material on the upper half of the lenses to make it more like the BC30 and have been using it on one of my bikes to ride along a cycle path next to the A64 after work. Mainly because i wanted something with a narrow beam with a soft upper cut off that didn't blind oncoming traffic as i'm riding on the wrong side of the road directly into oncoming traffic for 10 miles (at which point i turn off the cycle path and on to country lanes and flick my flood light on).

In fact, both of my main winter bikes have a spot and a flood light on them at the moment (typically one powered by a battery pack and the other self contained so it can be quickly removed when not needed). One has this and a programmable head unit from Lightmalls, the other my nitecore XHP50 (flood) and a spotty "Glowring" light, also from Lightmalls. Most of which i've done reviews on on this thread.

As for this light itself, i kinda like it but wish it had XM-L2 or XP-L emitters in it rather than a older XM-L. It certainly has a few nice features. For a start it's essentially just two 501 style torches glued together with a dedicated mount. It runs at 4.2v, instead of the BC30's 8.4v, so only needs one battery in it to actually run. The tailcaps on the rear are the same as in the 502 style torch (which opens up a few interesting modding possibilities) and you have the ability to run the light with both units on at three brightness levels or individually at just one. I actually make use of the latter feature by having two thirds of one lens covered in freznel material and half on the other. This allows me decide weather i want a beam pattern where the spot is stronger with a little light defected downwards towards my front wheel or one where spot is slightly dimmer with more light falling closer to my front wheel.

Like 502 style torches you need to wrap your batteries in a bit of tape to stop them rattling/buzzing inside the tubes (not too much as you can't push the batteries out from the front if they get stuck in there, like you can with a 502 torch). Unlike a 502 style torch, however, you won't experience accidental mode changes when going over bumps as the mode button is wired directly to the emitters circuit, not the tailcap.

It's also worth mentioning that this has more blue/white caste than Fenix stuff (who tend to like to use versions of XM-L's with a more 'yellowy', halogen style caste to them). Personally, i prefer the XM-L's and XP-L's in their more blue/white variant.

If your on a budget and want a all in one style bike light and can't afford the more quality options from companies like Fenix then this isn't a bad alternative. Invest the money in better batteries instead as the older XM-L tends to suck a bit more power to put out the same amount of light as the newer XM-L2's etc (and my newer XHP50 torch just runs and runs and runs and runs without draining a set of old Senybor 2800 batteries by much at all).

So, yeah, well worth a tenner.
  • Will the mount expand enough to fit road handlebars?
  • Ouija
    The mount is large enough to take oversize 31mm bars. It has two rubber inserts. One thick one (pictured) for putting it on the narrow, 22mm, section of a bar and a thinner strip of rubber for putting next to the stem on 28 and 31mm bars.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Ouija wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:

I've been using a old right angled head torch for the last couple of years that runs of a CR123A Li-Ion battery (4.2v, as most rechargeable Li-Ion batteries are... 3.6v tend to be the non rechargeable versions) but you can get forward pointing lights with more modern XM-L2 emitters in a similar sized package, such as the Olight S10R Baton or S1 Baton...

Kind of depends if your looking to shorten the length or the width of your current headlight?

Thanks, Ouija, that does look like a better option... I think my main aim is 'lighter' so a CR123A light could be just the ticket. I'll have to see if I can find something to allow me to charge a CR123A in my 18650 charger.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Ouija wrote:
    ... I actually make use of the latter feature by having two thirds of one lens covered in freznel material and half on the other. This allows me decide weather i want a beam pattern where the spot is stronger with a little light defected downwards towards my front wheel or one where spot is slightly dimmer with more light falling closer to my front wheel.....

I'm intrigued by this modification. Are you able to expand a little on how/what you've used & the results?

TIA
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Ouija
    RichK wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    ... I actually make use of the latter feature by having two thirds of one lens covered in freznel material and half on the other. This allows me decide weather i want a beam pattern where the spot is stronger with a little light defected downwards towards my front wheel or one where spot is slightly dimmer with more light falling closer to my front wheel.....

I'm intrigued by this modification. Are you able to expand a little on how/what you've used & the results?

TIA

Simple mod. Just buy some car beam deflectors off ebay...

Use a five pence piece and mark two half moon shaped semicircles on the material (with the long sided slats of the freznel material pointing towards the top of the arc) and then cut them out. Then simply place them in the top half of the lights front lenses (if the glass is clean, surface tension holds them in place as well as the thick material bracing itself against the edge of the lights bezel, so there is no need to use glue or anything). What you should have is something that looks like this....

$_57.JPG

Only covering half of the lens, instead of a third. On the light i'm talking about i have one side half covered in freznel material and the other with only a third covered. Just trim the bottom (straight edge) of the semi circular until you get the right combination of spot and deflection (which is best done with the light held parallel to the ground and not pointing at a flat wall).

Essentially, what it does is take some of the light that normally goes upwards into the air and deflects it downwards to create a strip of light between the spot and your front wheel, creating a keyhole style beam pattern. With a dedicated half freznel glass lens (which i also have) you tend to get two completely separate spots, one above the other. But with the car beam deflectors it's an elongated strip that joins up with the spot.

If you do want two spots, one above the other, rather than a spot and a elongated strip then instead of using the car beam deflector material use a credit card magnifying lens instead. Cutting a circle of material from the center just widens the spot but leaves it in the same place. Cutting a circle from further out towards the edge of the card will create a second spot that gets closer and closer to your front wheel depending how far out you cut. You can play around till you get what your looking for (start with a full five pence piece circle from a section of the card and then start trimming and trimming until you get the pattern you want).

I'll do some pic when i've got the time.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    super, thanks. Think I might give that a go :)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Jesus wept, then he had to sit down and close his eyes for a very long time.

http://winstanleysbikes.web-epos.com/pr ... ront_Light
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I Like the look of that twin T6, its a shame that its not XM-L2, but should still be good for road use. Still its not materially different to a couple of bar lights at £5 with XM-l2s.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    Ouija wrote:
    tincaman wrote:

sku_420659_1.jpg
    sku_420659_2.jpg
    sku_420659_7.jpg

Got one. Ordered it a few days after ordering my Fenix BC30 (just because it was cheap and kinda similar) to see which one i liked the most. It's essentially a copy of a Fenix LD50 torch, only with a dedicated bar mount for a bike. Unlike the BC30 though, it's a very spotty light (the BC30 has a big old flood type of beam). I put some freznel material on the upper half of the lenses to make it more like the BC30 and have been using it on one of my bikes to ride along a cycle path next to the A64 after work. Mainly because i wanted something with a narrow beam with a soft upper cut off that didn't blind oncoming traffic as i'm riding on the wrong side of the road directly into oncoming traffic for 10 miles (at which point i turn off the cycle path and on to country lanes and flick my flood light on).

In fact, both of my main winter bikes have a spot and a flood light on them at the moment (typically one powered by a battery pack and the other self contained so it can be quickly removed when not needed). One has this and a programmable head unit from Lightmalls, the other my nitecore XHP50 (flood) and a spotty "Glowring" light, also from Lightmalls. Most of which i've done reviews on on this thread.

As for this light itself, i kinda like it but wish it had XM-L2 or XP-L emitters in it rather than a older XM-L. It certainly has a few nice features. For a start it's essentially just two 501 style torches glued together with a dedicated mount. It runs at 4.2v, instead of the BC30's 8.4v, so only needs one battery in it to actually run. The tailcaps on the rear are the same as in the 502 style torch (which opens up a few interesting modding possibilities) and you have the ability to run the light with both units on at three brightness levels or individually at just one. I actually make use of the latter feature by having two thirds of one lens covered in freznel material and half on the other. This allows me decide weather i want a beam pattern where the spot is stronger with a little light defected downwards towards my front wheel or one where spot is slightly dimmer with more light falling closer to my front wheel.

Like 502 style torches you need to wrap your batteries in a bit of tape to stop them rattling/buzzing inside the tubes (not too much as you can't push the batteries out from the front if they get stuck in there, like you can with a 502 torch). Unlike a 502 style torch, however, you won't experience accidental mode changes when going over bumps as the mode button is wired directly to the emitters circuit, not the tailcap.

It's also worth mentioning that this has more blue/white caste than Fenix stuff (who tend to like to use versions of XM-L's with a more 'yellowy', halogen style caste to them). Personally, i prefer the XM-L's and XP-L's in their more blue/white variant.

If your on a budget and want a all in one style bike light and can't afford the more quality options from companies like Fenix then this isn't a bad alternative. Invest the money in better batteries instead as the older XM-L tends to suck a bit more power to put out the same amount of light as the newer XM-L2's etc (and my newer XHP50 torch just runs and runs and runs and runs without draining a set of old Senybor 2800 batteries by much at all).

So, yeah, well worth a tenner.

Just ordered this off your good descriptive post. Needed something new for when the nights draw in as I'm sick of my 502b jumping modes.

Never used dx before. Ordered straight from china, not sure if I should of opted for the European version.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    The above twin light arrived today. Looks great for the price and can't wait to give it a go. The option of just having either side on is great.

Anyone know if you can get an orange peel reflector for it? Having one side orange peel and the other with a spot might be quite useful.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Ouija, thanks for the useful information as always - I like the look of the double torch design as I like 502B's for their simplicity, no faffing about with battery packs and cabling but I like the wider beam similar to the battery pack lights. The impression I get from your post is that it would be worth forking out for the Fenix BC30, I don't mind spending more for a decent light I know I'll use and it seems a good solution - where would you recommend buy the BC30 for? I've had a quick look around and prices seem to vary from around £80 to £120.

John
  • Finally got around to charging and testing (indoors) my Magicshine MJ900 from the PX sale a month or so ago, cost me £30 (the last few went for £21 in the current sale). Looks pretty well built, is amazingly small in both the light size (~3x2x2cm) and the battery and is incredibly lightweight.

It packs a punch in terms of brightness, easily on equal terms with the Chinese Cree light I bought off Ebay ~3 years ago for ~£20, before it randomly started cutting out when turned on (snagged lead, bulb, heat issue?).

Was going to pass it on to my sister this week, thinking I could get a replacement for £21, but they are now all gone. So now thinking I will order her something else from the PX sale with my next order, perhaps USB chargeable, an option I fancy looking into for convenience for a new rear light for myself.

Anything in the PX sale that members think are exceptional value for money, both for front and rear lights, ideally USB chargeable?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cubext
    cubext Posts: 47
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking for some recommendations
    Ive been using the SolarStorm CREE XMLU2 5000 lumen.
    I'm undecided about the batteries on this. I need to put them on a voltmeter. The charger is broken and doubt it's 5000 lumens.

I've been using a head torch with the battery pack on my head which is too heavy.

I'm looking re set myself up.
    The torchy boy lights seem to get a few mentions Torchy BK Thr33 Endurance 2000 lumen front light 3x Cree XM-L U2.

I'm looking for run time more than 3hrs, something for my head and bars and of course a reasonable price.

Do I replace my charger and possibly get a better battery pack (6 cell?)?

Do I get a torchy and put it on my head or handle bars?

Do I get something completely different?

I have often looked at the exposure joystick but at 800 lumens, a low run time and relatively expensive this doesn't make much sense.

Interested in any recommendations.

Cheers
  • Ouija
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    Ouija, thanks for the useful information as always - I like the look of the double torch design as I like 502B's for their simplicity, no faffing about with battery packs and cabling but I like the wider beam similar to the battery pack lights. The impression I get from your post is that it would be worth forking out for the Fenix BC30, I don't mind spending more for a decent light I know I'll use and it seems a good solution - where would you recommend buy the BC30 for? I've had a quick look around and prices seem to vary from around £80 to £120.

John

Ebay's your best bet. Can get them for £60 but they're usually from China so you have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. AliExpress are doing them for £58.
  • apreading
    Ouija wrote:
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

Ebay's your best bet. Can get them for £60 but they're usually from China so you have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. AliExpress are doing them for £58.

Amazon £72 if you want them quick and from the UK.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I'm coming to this after 166 pages of history so what I have to say may already be said, but I use a Brite-R Vier headlight which works well for my night-time MTB trail riding, especially for the money (<£40 last I looked). The battery pack is a bit cheap and ropey and failed after a while simply through the thin soldered connections under the plastic wrap corroding and snapping, but I bought a weatherproof battery pack to replace it and this works well.

The light unit suffered the 'usual' loosening of the screw that holds the body to the mount, but this was a 2 minute fix to peel back the grippy tape, tighten and secure the screw and replace the grippy stuff.

It offers a sort of spread/spot which works well on unlit country trails - I can ride at cruising speed on the dimmed power, using the full-power mostly for extra reach on faster downhill stuff. It does tend to go from 'warning' to dead very quickly, so I also carry a Moon Meteor USB-chargeable light for backup. I also use the Moon on the road bike for visibility - I am planning to put the Brite-R on the roadie when it gets properly dark, but not done that yet.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • johnmcl7
    apreading wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

Nice spot with Amazon, I have it in my hands now - do you use flat or button top 18650's? I normally used 2600Mah button 18650's and was going to order a pair of 3400Mah 18650's for the BC30 but thought I'd check if one worked better.

John
  • cubext
    cubext Posts: 47
    Is this thread too big?
  • apreading
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    Nice spot with Amazon, I have it in my hands now - do you use flat or button top 18650's? I normally used 2600Mah button 18650's and was going to order a pair of 3400Mah 18650's for the BC30 but thought I'd check if one worked better.

John

You need to try and get cells that arent too long otherwise its a REALLY tight fit to get them in the holder and get the back on. I always use protected cells, regardless of whether I need to or not, so they tend to be longer - I spend alot of time trying to find the shortest cells I possibly could. I think flat top is better too - cos they are easier to slide in/out, but I cant remember to be sure as I havent used it since January.
  • Ouija
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

John

Button topped senybor don't work (too long). Flat topped protected panasonics are fine. As are any unprotected button topped batteries as they don't have that extra few mm of length the protection circuit adds.
  • johnmcl7
    Where do you recommend getting Panasonic batteries from, I've had a look on ebay but the prices seem quite cheap so I'm not sure if they're genuine or not. I normally use Torchy boy 2600Mah button top batteries which do seem to fit but it's tight to get the case closed, seems tight to get it closed anyway though.

Aside from the handle on the back feeling a bit flimsy for the force needed to close the case, I'm impressed with the light - feels very well made and it's a lot neater than I expected. I also like that it doesn't need the remote to function which should make it easy to move between bikes.

John
  • apreading
    I think these are the ones I got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1166559333

I also got some EFEST here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VS5LLJK/ ... _pC_nS_ttl which were flat top despite what the picture shows.

I really like the ebay retailer in the first link because they show the precise measurements of the cells - REALLY helpful for something like this. I think Ecoluxshop and multicorepc are well regarded ebay shops.
  • @ Ouija ...

You posted up about these around a year ago ...

http://www.lightmalls.com/2xcree-xm-l2- ... p-cap-only

Just reviewing my lighting options for the coming dark season ... I've got a Torchy xml2 (usually use on the bars) and a Solarstorm (copy) twin unit that I usually use on the lid, alternatively an old MTBBatteries V1 (which is still very good!).

Just wondering how the lightmalls one compares ...
  • Ouija
    It's the only one i haven't removed from my mountain bike since i bought it. The programmability is indispensable. It's a soft, almost spotless light, so doesn't have the throw of a more focused beam but is better because of that as it doesn't ruin your night vision. The fact it just cycles through the three programmed modes with no off or flash is welcome as well, especially on the roads as it makes dipping the light for oncoming traffic relatively easy (I programmed the modes to go from high to low rather than the factory default of the other way round), especially if you mount it close to your right grip as you can tap the back button with your thumb without having to take your hand off the grip.

The programmability also means you can tailor the light for the environment and distance you are riding. On dry roads i tend to set it for lower outputs with a very low mode 3 for oncoming traffic and maximum battery times. Offroads, i tend to go for a more dazzling set of brightnesses with even the lowest mode putting out enough light to see with (as opposed to being simply seen by).

Very small and flexible. I've had absolutely no complaints with it.
  • Ouija wrote:
    It's the only one i haven't removed from my mountain bike since i bought it. The programmability is indispensable. It's a soft, almost spotless light, so doesn't have the throw of a more focused beam but is better because of that as it doesn't ruin your night vision. The fact it just cycles through the three programmed modes with no off or flash is welcome as well, especially on the roads as it makes dipping the light for oncoming traffic relatively easy (I programmed the modes to go from high to low rather than the factory default of the other way round), especially if you mount it close to your right grip as you can tap the back button with your thumb without having to take your hand off the grip.

The programmability also means you can tailor the light for the environment and distance you are riding. On dry roads i tend to set it for lower outputs with a very low mode 3 for oncoming traffic and maximum battery times. Offroads, i tend to go for a more dazzling set of brightnesses with even the lowest mode putting out enough light to see with (as opposed to being simply seen by).

Very small and flexible. I've had absolutely no complaints with it.

As ever, cheers Ouija ... 8)

Think it's probably worth a punt then.

What are the Lightmalls battery packs like? Also, there are a bewildering range of options, drop down menu gives things like ... 'Hot water proof' or 'more capacity', in 4/6/8 battery pack sizes ...