Worlds : Mens Elite *spoiler*

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I watched the race live on Eurosport and then immediately stuck the re-run on on BBC2. Gotta say, the beeb commentary was far more energetic and exciting in that final sprint, Porters "since Tom Simpson in 1965" had hairs standing on the back of the neck!

(not saying Eurosport comm was bad, of course, its great listening to them all day, just that the ending was spot on from Bbc)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Still waiting for Sky to announce that they have signed the World Champion.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Well done Cavendish. Have to admit he surprised me - thought that finish ramp would have been a bit too steep for him.

Was only able to watch the last 20 km. Did I missed much? Those last 20 km were pretty dull
  • Only thing that annoyed me was his ugly helmet! GB skinsuits not good either.

Getty
    bbce89de3ca624155b52ddc305ef0998-getty-506085461.jpg
    f9c23b6c1882d2811e6d15bb70b48faf-getty-506085457.jpg
    258d1c96bc1a6e99bd201e7ac6742d5e-getty-126350263.jpg
    f1fd56289788b95413da4b0878d83d35-getty-506083660.jpg
    191a9f4997da7dc621b6f4fc436c4671-getty-126358804.jpg
    d1d03c90aac95c0046701f71420f640a-getty-506083171.jpg
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    FJS wrote:

Was only able to watch the last 20 km. Did I missed much? Those last 20 km were pretty dull

Nothing really. To me, it was pretty much a replay of the womans race, but that was the course. It never seemed to get the ebb and flow you usually get in WRR.

It is what it is, best man won. But no one could legitimately claim it was a great race in terms of entertainment factor.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Has Cav announced who he's riding for next season officially yet?
  • iainf72
    Has Cav announced who he's riding for next season officially yet?

No. But a few days ago he'd apparently not actually signed anything yet.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    No. But a few days ago he'd apparently not actually signed anything yet.

Thanks Iain.

A friend asked me this afternoon whether Sky would be a GC team for Bradley, or a Sprinter team for Cav. I had to say I didn't know, but that I didn't see how they could be both.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Zachariah wrote:
    From the BBC web video, it looked like he was wearing some kind of transparent cover over his helmet? Does anyone know if that was the case?

The Sky team riders were wearing their Kask helmets with their aero covers on - Kask are one of a couple of companies which provide these. Cavendish helmet sponsor does not, so the only solution was sticky back plastic on top, which is what they did.

Taping helmet vents is very popular and whilst not very good for a lot of pro cycling (you need cooling!) it's great for copenhagen in the autumn.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • FJS wrote:
    Well done Cavendish. Have to admit he surprised me - thought that finish ramp would have been a bit too steep for him.

You thought it was dull???
    Incredibly exciting with all the breaks and team GB hunting them down more like.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Pffft.

Got to take my hat off to the Brits. Didn't think they could lead it out for 260km...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Incredibly exciting with all the breaks and team GB hunting them down more like.
    Agreed, I thought it was a great race.
  • rick_chasey
    Nickwill wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Agreed, I thought it was a great race.

Watching a team totally restrict the race as much as possible is fine if you support them.

Me thinks FJS had a different, rather more orange interest.

Nice to see Jonny time his attack on the final lap this time...
  • deejay wrote:
    Incredible job by Wiggins, then Stannard/Geraint to get Cav higher then Cav for keeping calm, finding the gap and ripping them.

Congratulations.
    My congratulations also.
    I thought that all the hard work by the team at the front of peloton was more for the "SKY" advertising budget.
    quote]

Absolutely. Riding their guts out for the only member of the team who was likely to win must have been a secondary (and minor) consideration :roll:
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Fantastic, and don't forget, it was a season long effort to makes sure GB had enough riders to do the job.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Brilliant work from the GB team, and massive congratulations to Cav on finishing it off. 46 years ago I entered this world! I hope I'm not 92 the next time a Brit wins it!

I do sometimes wonder what people want from a race.....
  • I got my timings mixed up so only caught the last 25km on the beeb but Wiggo and Stannard deserve kudos for their work this afternoon - Cav's always the first to praise the team before himself and today it certainly wasn't false modesty.
  • rick_chasey
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I do sometimes wonder what people want from a race.....

http://www.rondevanvlaanderen.be/

;)
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    A succint summary which captures the scale and calibre of Cav's victory.

I would like to repeat, as Cav did my tribute to the whole of the G.B team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... title.html
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • iainf72
    A serious question : If the race had been the same, but in the final 200m, say, Greipel or Cancellera edged it and won, would people still have thought it was a good race?

How many serious attacks were there? There was the usual early break, the Voekler / Visconti one but aside from that it really was low on action.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Superb team effort. Has there ever been such a dominant sprinter? :D

P.S. You'd think the UCI budget would stretch to a couple of sizes of podium jersey, not just one that has to potentially fit Spartacus or Thor:
    f1fd56289788b95413da4b0878d83d35-getty-506083660.jpg
  • iainf72 wrote:
    A serious question : If the race had been the same, but in the final 200m, say, Greipel or Cancellera edged it and won, would people still have thought it was a good race?

How many serious attacks were there? There was the usual early break, the Voekler / Visconti one but aside from that it really was low on action.

Do you actually like cycling?! :wink:
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fantastic day to be a British Cyclist. Well done to cav all the riders and the support team
    Bloody brilliant everyone.
    Just a few short years ago - even having such a team would be unthinkable let alone the mens pro world champion. Amazing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Do you actually like cycling?! :wink:

No, not at all.

:wink:

I like it enough to call a boring race a boring race.

I will admit, it was a sprinters race, and I don't really like sprints so it was at a disadvantage.
  • anyone got any links to highlights/replay of it.

Cav must be on cloud nine. To have won the green jersey must have been like a dream come true, to end the year with the rainbow stripes is testament to an outstanding athlete and a dedicated sportsman. Here's hoping he gets the rich rewards he so handsomely deserves. Chapeau young man, chapeau.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • iainf72 wrote:

We probably thought it was a good race as a British rider won. Is that stating the obvious?
    Mens agitat molem
  • iainf72
    bazbadger wrote:

We probably thought it was a good race as a British rider won. Is that stating the obvious?

Indeed. That's what I'm sort of saying, if you took that out of it, was it a good race? I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from it, just saying as a neutral, it wasn't much of a spectacle.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Here's hoping he gets the rich rewards he so handsomely deserves. .

Peta looked pretty emotional, I'm sure he's getting rich rewards aallll night long! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Someone was asking a while back "Is this (Cavendish) Britain's greatest current athlete?"

The answer surely has to be "probably, (yes)"...
    Mens agitat molem
  • ddraver wrote:
    Here's hoping he gets the rich rewards he so handsomely deserves. .

Peta looked pretty emotional, I'm sure he's getting rich rewards aallll night long! :wink:

:D:D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer