Rugby World Cup

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    I think Wales are going to smash France in the semi-final.

Regarding England. A fairly mediocre team - losing in a QF is about right for them. The worst thing that happened to them was that freak win against Australia last autumn, it made everyone think they were quite good and that Johno was doing a decent job.

I really didn't think England would play that badly. Even if they didn't have the flair players, I thought nous would get them to at least the SF.

There's a good review on England's situation by Tom Fordyce on the BBC website.

@Coopster - :lol::lol:

The Lions' tour of Oz in a couple of years' time already looks a bit tasty.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Lions tour would will be interesting. Who would you pick from England? I think there are better players in every position in one of the other Lions countries. I think I may of thought that before the world cup anyway.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Sketchley wrote:
    Who would you pick from England? I think there are better players in every position in one of the other Lions countries.
    Tuilagi? Could be the next Nonu. Ashton would be good if he actually went looking for work (and cut out the vanity dives).
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    jamesco wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Who would you pick from England? I think there are better players in every position in one of the other Lions countries.
    Tuilagi? Could be the next Nonu. Ashton would be good if he actually went looking for work (and cut out the vanity dives).

They would be my first two picks from the England team however Tuilagi would be up against O'Driscoll at 13 or Roberts at 12. Not sure I'd pick him ahead of either of those for a Lions tour. Likewise 2nd choices in those positions are Darcy or Davies who are both very good. That being said O'Driscoll and Darcy are getting on a bit and a centre pair of Robert and Tuilagi sounds deadly.

Ashton would be up against. Williams, Earls, North or Bowe. Maybe but tight call but I all four could give Ashton a run for his money.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jamesco
    Sketchley wrote:
    Tuilagi would be up against O'Driscoll at 13 or Roberts at 12
    BOD's a great, but getting on a bit, and Dr. Roberts has been a bit injury-prone. That's my rationalisation, but seeing Tuilagi one-on-one with Quade 'turnstile' Cooper would be reason enough! :D
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    jamesco wrote:
    This has been a great cup and is nicely unpredictable: Tonga's massive upset, France's comeback, Aussie sneaking through (thanks to the useless ref),

As I have been explaining to my Saffa mates since that game..... They threw two forward passes (correctly called) and a knock on right on the try line that would have scored them a minimum of 17 extra points, maybe even another 4 on top. You can't be blaming the ref when you fluffed that many opportunities.
  • Just caught the Wales v Ireland highlights having watched the England game in a little french bar in the Pyrenees (good fun). Watching the Wales pack was a lesson in how to play at the top level. They hit every single ruck like their lives depended on it and got quick ball as a result. England's lot were shambolic in comparison.

If the French turn up next weekend it will definitely be the game of the tournament so far.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • cjcp
    jamesco wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    BOD's a great, but getting on a bit, and Dr. Roberts has been a bit injury-prone. That's my rationalisation, but seeing Tuilagi one-on-one with Quade 'turnstile' Cooper would be reason enough! :D

They could even play North at centre, but with Williams likely to retire and not make the next Lions tour, there'd be room for both Halfpenny and North. Halfpenny's defence is presently better than Ashton's, but if Ashton was given some ball, he'd flourish.

Croft, Flood and Sheridan would also go. Got to think of the midweek games, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    cjcp wrote:
    jamesco wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

They could even play North at centre, but with Williams likely to retire and not make the next Lions tour, there'd be room for both Halfpenny and North. Halfpenny's defence is presently better than Ashton's, but if Ashton was given some ball, he'd flourish.

Croft, Flood and Sheridan would also go. Got to think of the midweek games, too.

I wouldn't take Sheridan. Strong, yes, but slow, fragile and not a great scrummager for his size IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cjcp
    Getting nervous.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Getting nervous.

Not until you mentioned it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Getting nervous.

Not until you mentioned it.

Should be a great game. I just hope the loss of Priestland doesn't knock the wind out of their sails!

Having originally bemoaned the morning fixtures I'm actually now quite keen as we get to sleep through the traditional pre match nerves period.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • So what am I going to drink tomorrow to support the Welsh? Welsh beer is universaly horrible FACT! I used to drink Smiles which was brewed in Bristol, 'cause you can see Wales from Bristol, but sadly this is made no more. Might have to hope for a clear day across the Irish Sea and drink Guiness :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Brains......
  • cjcp
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Brains......

Foul stuff.

SA = Skull Attack.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I used to like a spot of HB when I lived o'er the bridge.
  • benno68
    So what am I going to drink tomorrow to support the Welsh? Welsh beer is universaly horrible FACT! I used to drink Smiles which was brewed in Bristol, 'cause you can see Wales from Bristol, but sadly this is made no more. Might have to hope for a clear day across the Irish Sea and drink Guiness :wink:

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/visitor-centre.aspx

There's something to have a go at when you're full of beer. Penderyn is a great place for cycling too, the TOB came through Penderyn I believe, although the TV footage sadly cut it out. You've got the Beacons no more than 10 miles away, the Rhigos is virtually on the doorstep.

Another alternative to beer/lager which is quite widely available is:

http://www.gwyntcider.com

Hey guys, Brains Bitter isn't bad, CJ - I've not drunk SA since an unfortunate incident after drinking a few pints at the age of 16.

COME ON WALES!!!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Forgive me but is Bass Welsh?

Some genuinely good ones from the Conwy or Great Orme breweries if you re up North...!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Reverend James is a good pint. Lots of proper welsh small breweries springing up now.

Anything from Tomos Watkin brewery will do you fine. Tescos in Wales have them
  • ddraver
    So what are the neutrals predicting this weekend? - I genuinely don't know how to call either match - gonna be a good weekend!
    - @ddraver
  • That was a travesty.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    I'm livid. Absolutely livid. And if France can't score a try against 14 men, it suggests we may be in for a final as dull as 1999. Hope I'm wrong. Not even sure I can support France in the final.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The French defence (admittedly against 14 men) was fairly solid, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either of the remaining SH sides put 30 points on France in the final.

I'm torn. I want to see France humiliated in the final now, but I don't want either NZ or Aus to win it, and I don't think a one sided final is a good advert for th RWC.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Yep. I'm the same.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    Hey CJ, don't you mean against 16 men :wink:

IMO I don't believe that France are worthy of being in the final and I reckon that they are going to be stuffed in the final. I won't be supporting them.

I appreciate that Rolland speaks French which is a positive, but with him being half French it certainly leaves the question of impartiality wide open. Rolland had a bad match overall in my opinion.

I'm proud of the way Wales played today and the future looks bright. Just wish we made our kicks today.

Well done Rolland on screwing up the RWC 2011.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ddraver
    It was a definite yellow, but the punishment for upending someone is a straight red, thems the rules...

It was a seriously strict decision, but in an autumn international, that would have been a straight red - The rules don't change cos it's the RWC...

Great game though, I have nt been so excited watching a match since the Final in 2003! Switched alleigence about 5 times! It was the welsh's to loose, missed conversion, missed (tough) penalty, missed drop goal opportunity at 5-6 mins to go (what where they waiting for?!?!)

I called the french as the dark horses at the start - My Hollywood Final is still on!!
    - @ddraver
  • Perhaps I should have drunk Brains rather than this American beer.

Very disappointed by the result but I have to disagree with Benno, and most of the pundits. It may not have been deliberate or malicious but IMHO Warberton's tackle was certainly dangerous and could have resulted in a bad injury. Sadly this means he had to go.

Wales did brilliantly to give themselves a chance playing for so long with a man down, and if Priestland had been fit I think they may have pulled it off. They can at least go home with heads held high (which is more than we can say for England)

I expect ABs to beat Australia by 10 points and the French by 24.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Have to be honest when Wales play i use it as an opportunity to ride on quiet roads, it was amazing that you could sense something was wrong even though i had no contact with any public.

Obviously just watched it and seriously peeved , I shall leave the wisdom of having a ref with a French father to someone who is impartial to discuss, so IRU can piss off i don't want to hear from you.

If one good point can be taken from today it's that we Welsh don't hang about lol just check out Alain Rolland on wikipaedia and it seems it that the sending off has already been added to his name.........
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • jamesco
    Very disappointed by the result but I have to disagree with Benno, and most of the pundits. It may not have been deliberate or malicious but IMHO Warberton's tackle was certainly dangerous and could have result in a bad injury. Sadly this means he had to go.
    +1

It was harsh, but the refs had been instructed to be harsh on foul play - 'think red card and go down from there' - so Rolland was doing exactly as told. Warburton should be kicking himself for putting the ref and his side in that position.
  • ddraver
    To put it another way, i think it's a similar discussion to the false start rule after Usain Bolt was DQ'd - should there be some leeway for genuine mistakes...?
    - @ddraver