Rugby World Cup

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Seems these Taffs can play a bit. Who'd have thunk it, eh?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    The Irish look very good indeed. Assuming they get past Wales, which I think they will, I can see them in the final. Their number 7 is immense. O'Brien, I think he is. I think they'll muller England if, as I expect, France continue to be just that bit worse than England and get dispatched in the quarters.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It's lovely to see the frogs get beaten

And the Scots go out.

:P
  • I've had enough of the ITV Team.
    Dallaglio, Fitz, Pienaar, Great.
    Lynagh, Dempsey, good
    The rest have been at best poor but mostly awful. Thom Evans doesn't want to upset anyone, very bland. Gareth Thomas just hates England, you're not on scrum V you know. I think Michael Owen co commentated one game and sounded like a drunken yob but the Worst commentator of all time is Phil Vickery. A decent player but his squeaky excitable and very often wrong interpretation of the game and some rules is as frustrating as the England performances.
    My Favourite FWIW is Jonathan Davies
    Rant over, Come on the Home nations!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    ketsbaia wrote:
    The Irish look very good indeed. Assuming they get past Wales, which I think they will, I can see them in the final. Their number 7 is immense. O'Brien, I think he is. I think they'll muller England if, as I expect, France continue to be just that bit worse than England and get dispatched in the quarters.

I'm looking forward to my weekend visiting friends in Sligo which coincides with the semi-finals. That's going to be such fun.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I've had enough of the ITV Team.
    Lynagh, Dempsey, good
    The rest have been at best poor but mostly awful. Thom Evans doesn't want to upset anyone, very bland. Gareth Thomas just hates England, you're not on scrum V you know. I think Michael Owen co commentated one game and sounded like a drunken yob but the Worst commentator of all time is Phil Vickery. A decent player but his squeaky excitable and very often wrong interpretation of the game and some rules is as frustrating as the England performances.
    +1, though I'd put Lynagh on the top shelf, too

ITV's servers suck in comparison to the BBC's - the 3.30am game was the only one where the connection stayed up :P
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I've had enough of the ITV Team.
    Lynagh, Dempsey, good

Agree they are cr@p. Not tried this yet but will do on Saturday

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/schedule/2011-10-08

"0530 - 1200 Rugby World Cup
    8 Oct - Rugby World Cup Breakfast

Full commentary of the World Cup Quarter-Finals from Mark Saggers, David Campese & Brian Moore. Plus a look back on last night's international football action."

So Talksport on the radio, ITV picture, Campese and Moore commentating. Job done. Only problem might be the delay on ITV HD but worse case I'll switch to standard.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jamesco
    Sketchley wrote:
    Full commentary of the World Cup Quarter-Finals from Mark Saggers, David Campese & Brian Moore.
    Campese & Moore? Really? I'd take the mute button over those two!
  • cjcp wrote:
    If Wilkinson can keep kicking for territory, and keep the points ticking over (something he's pretty handy at).

You reckon Wilkinson should be fly-half then?

I'm torn on who England's best No 10 is - Jonny / Toby / Wayne?

Jonny didn't have the greatest of games against the Scots. Might be a blessing that he is injured and likely to be replaced by Toby on Saturday.

The draw has worked out well for the Northern hemisphere sides, one of them is going to make the Final........ and lose to NZ.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • joelsim
    Yes. It'll be New Zealand vs either England, France, Wales or Ireland in the final.

Whichever team plays least badly, before being hammered by the Kiwis.
  • sketchley
    Right now the only team that I would say with any confidence won't be in the final is Argentina as NZ will beat Arg.

SA vs Aus is a difficult call all dependent on if Aus can get away with at least parity in the front row if they can they'll win. However Bryce Lawerence is the ref so it's anyones guess.
    Ireland vs Wales - impossible to call
    Eng vs France - Most likely Eng but france might turn up

As for Semis - either SA or Aus could beat an NZ without Carter if Slade bottles it which he's known to do. They'll both be up for it.
    On the other side Eng v Wal or Eng v Ire or Fra v Ire or Fra vs Wal could all go either way.

My money though is on NZ vs Eng
    --
    Chris

• joelsim
    NZ v Ireland this time I think.

One thing's for sure, it won't be Scotland as they only managed a draw against The Faroe Islands.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Just seen who's reffing the England - France game.

France through, then. :roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    NZ have a big problem without Carter, more so if McCaw is not fully fit too. If the Boks or the Aussies are in the final, the northern hemisphere teams have a good chance.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Just seen who's reffing the England - France game.

France through, then. :roll:

Makes a change, us Welsh boys have been persecuted by refs for years, at least it feels that way :lol:

I must admit that the refs seem to have been very hard on England in this tournament, I'm just waiting for a ref with the balls to make the same calls against the All Blacks. If McCaw is out, it will be interesting to see how much they get away with as he is The Master of playing the ref (I know I've said it before).

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Benno68 wrote:
    Makes a change, us Welsh boys have been persecuted by refs for years, at least it feels that way :lol:

The Irish Court would like to refer you to this year's 6 nations and LineOutgate ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • benno68
    ddraver wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

The Irish Court would like to refer you to this year's 6 nations and LineOutgate ;)

I have no idea what you're on about :lol::lol::lol:

I am bad to be fair, any decision against the Welsh and I go apesh1t, any decisions for us and I'm clapping whether it's a fair decision or not.

Ireland are my number 2 team, I'm half Irish but have lived in Wales all my life (except for 4).

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    COME ON WALES!!!

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Off to my cousins tomorrow for an early breakfast and to watch both games before work, I reckon Wales v. Ireland will be a cracking match, hopefully the French will turn up to give England a good game.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • sketchley
    Teams for QFs it's interesting when you look down man for man for Ireland and Wales!

Ireland vs Wales

I think Ireland have the edge up front, so if it's wet & windy and it stops the backs playing then Ireland to win by 3. Alternatively the Welsh have some very tidy backs and their fitness is superb, if it's not a kicking game (which O'Gara would win) then Wales by 7. Weather forecast is "Showers clearing afternoon. Strong southerlies easing" so who knows this is the closest QF to call and could go either way. I'm going to get up early to watch this.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/match ... index.html

France vs England

Has to be England If the Weather is bad with both Flood and Wilkinson on the pitch England would win a kicking game if weather is good the back four will tear France to shreds. I'd expect Flood and Wilkinson to swap 10 and 12 roles throughout the game creating space in the French defence. looking forward to this, really hope the French turn up so it's a good game. If the French turn up England by 7, if not England by at least 14.

SA vs Aus

Looks like dry conditions in Wellington with no winds which mean Cooper, Ashley-Cooper, O'Connor and Beale will tear it up. SA are without Francois Steyn and Bakkies Botha could go either way but I think Australia will get this by at least 7 if not more! Getting up early for this one too.

NZ vs Arg

Easiest one to call but is Richie McCaw fit? Rumour are he'll drop out tomorrow morning. Sonny Bill starts on the wing and Mils Muliaina get 100 caps. I'd like to say otherwise but can't see this going any other way NZ by 14 at least. Weather is great so no excuses there.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/match ... index.html[/b]
    --
    Chris

• jamesco
    Sketchley wrote:
    Bakkies Botha could go either way
    Botha's on his way home already. Not sure how to feel about that one - he's a thug on the pitch (supposed to be very laid back off it, though), but we all want to see the best players on the field and have already lost quite a few good ones.
  • sketchley
    jamesco wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Bakkies Botha could go either way
    Botha's on his way home already. Not sure how to feel about that one - he's a thug on the pitch (supposed to be very laid back off it, though), but we all want to see the best players on the field and have already lost quite a few good ones.

Lack of a comma let me down there. Should of read

"SA are without Francois Steyn and Bakkies Botha, (so the game) could go either way.."
    --
    Chris

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    With the exception of the obvious one at the bottom, I think all of the games are too close to call. It's going to be a fun, if largely lie in free weekend...

If the SA v Aus game starts (here) at 7 - do you think i should go on the club run starting at 8 30....?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sketchley
    Games start at 6am and 8.30 UK time on both days.
    --
    Chris

• I'm going to call it:

Ireland, England, NZ, SA.

Three of which may turn out to be wrong...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The total number of points scored in the 4 quarterfinals will be 123.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    Benno68 wrote:
    I'm half Irish but have lived in Wales all my life (except for 4).

Why that's the very definition of Irish ;)

Andorra tonight and Wales in the morning.

Could be a good weekend.

I'll probably get up to watch the rugby even though I still haven't a clue what's going on....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sketchley
    Benno68 wrote:
    I'm half Irish but have lived in Wales all my life (except for 4).

Why that's the very definition of Irish ;)

Andorra tonight and Wales in the morning.

Could be a good weekend.

I'll probably get up to watch the rugby even though I still haven't a clue what's going on....

Referee's hand signals are good place to start http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 205374.stm
    --
    Chris

• cjcp
    My nerves are already frayed.

My coffee/food ratio is not good i.e. lots/none.

Oh dear God.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    I'm going to call it:

Ireland, England, NZ, SA.

Three of which may turn out to be wrong...

Agreed on the last three.

I've no idea about the first; I'm in a right state.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    :D

I thought the points-dfference would be a lot closer. I do feel for the Irish, especially since they beat the Aussies.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."