The Great Frankenbike DIY Competition

Comments

• 700c (will take up to a 35c tyre and down to a 25c)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    700c (will take up to a 35c tyre and down to a 25c)

Old Tricross wheels? Swap them with the ones on Mudcows bike. It's being scrapped anyway.
  • They are. They're the ones I replaced a month back - done 2 full Winters on them, so they aren't exactly top notch any more.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • So here is a list of what I need in case anyone out there has anything!

Front and rear wheels! 700c shimano/sram fitment
    9 speed cassette, shimano or sram 11-32 or something there abouts
    white charge spoon or similar white seat
    any other white finishing gear!
    photoluminescent tape or paint

Other than cash I've got an immaculate fizik Arione to offer as it really doesn't gree with my backside!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Maiden commute for my singlespeed frankenbike today. Still playing with the gearing, may have set it slightly too high for my intended purpose (which was that this be an easy-to-ride, comfy, winter bike rather than a speed machine).

Frame & fork: Steel Specialized Rockhopper from about 1992 - bought it off ebay complete with a 105 headset for cheap because it had a seatpost and bottom bracket seized in it. Got the BB out with the aid of a bike shop vice, and dissolved out the seatpost with caustic soda. Then took a wire brush to the rusty bits, gave them a coat of green hammerite, and treated the inside of the frame with waxoyl.

Wheels: cast-off Bontrager Superstocks from my trail bike, which I've had knocking about for years because the trail bike now has discs. Horribly out of true and I think the grease I used when I re-built the hubs is too thin judging by the rumbling noise. Running a Geax slick tyre that I got for turbo use on the rear and a Schwalbe City Jet on the front.

Brakes: cast-off Vs from the trail bike, Tektro drop-bar V levers. Fortunately they pull loads of cable so I can run the pads well clear of the wobbly rims.

Drivetrain: cast-off Bontrager cranks with a big ring only, an old cassette, bottom bracket and chain, and a Superstar chain tensioner.

Other bits: Quill to ahead stem adapter, cast-off stem from the trail bike, cheapo drop bars from SJS (cheapest they had that matched the clamp diameter of the stem), lurid pinky-red bar tape to go with the green frame, a Superstar seatpost and cast-off saddle from the road bike. Pedals are the nasty Wellgos that came with the road bike.

Rides surprisingly well. There is a disconcerting amount of flex coming from somewhere. I don't know if that's just the nature of steel frames, though.
  • Nation;

We demand a picture, surely the most improtant factor of a "Frankenbike" is how it looks!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Pictures once I get home, I'm posting from work and our barely-lit underground car park is not the best location for taking photos.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    nice will finally have a bike to look out for in brum not that I ever really see anyone else on my commute.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    just been thinking, ive got a prehistoric frame an fork (1950's) that i was going to get powder coated so it was all nice an shiny..

what are peoples thoughts on getting new wheels as it currently has steel rims stick a chain on it an rides as it is

its pretty rusted at the moment so its got that rat look already?

i have already bought vintage GB drop bars an GB stem an Weinmann levers

i was thinking of a SS
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:
    what are peoples thoughts on getting new wheels as it currently has steel rims stick a chain on it an rides as it is

Given the age of the bike, you are probably looking at 27 1/4 inch wheels. If you replace with 700c, then need to make sure that there is sufficient reach in existing brake calipers, or you'll be looking at needing new, long drop calipers. Spacing at the back might be a bit wierd as well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    mudcow007 wrote:
    just been thinking, ive got a prehistoric frame an fork (1950's) that i was going to get powder coated so it was all nice an shiny..

its pretty rusted at the moment so its got that rat look already?

i have already bought vintage GB drop bars an GB stem an Weinmann levers

i was thinking of a SS

Do you mean your lovely Enfield? That deserves a proper paint job and some reproduction decals to really do the frame justice and maintain the vintage look. You might struggle to find new wheels that fit, but you can probably find some replacement rims that can be laced ontp the old hubs (assuming they turn alright).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    rjsterry wrote:

Do you mean your lovely Enfield? That deserves a proper paint job and some reproduction decals to really do the frame justice and maintain the vintage look. You might struggle to find new wheels that fit, but you can probably find some replacement rims that can be laced ontp the old hubs (assuming they turn alright).

Yep

what im worried about it is spending £80 on a powder coat, vintage parts etc then the frame collapses or a weld snaps. it happened to a mate of mine earlier this week on a 80's roadie frame

is there a way of testing a frame to see if its safe?
  • rjsterry
    That is a risk. Don't know, but speak to a friendly frame builder. If anyone can tell it would be them.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• My wheels and bits are turning up today, so hopefully my "Frankenbike" will be ready by the end of the week. I do need to find osme inspiration for some individual touches though to make it stand out from the crowd!
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    picked up a couple of BSO mountain bikes from freecycle at the weekend. Sorted the puncture, set up the gearing, dealt with the brakes and now i have 1 ladies and 1 blokies mountain bikes (18spd and 12spd) ready :) Also picked up a kiddies bike at the same time. Likewise, brakes sorted, bits greased and tyres pumped up.

Although i'll probably sell the kiddies bike and the ladies mtb, keep the blokies bike as a shop hack.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • mudcow007
    rjsterry wrote:
    That is a risk. Don't know, but speak to a friendly frame builder. If anyone can tell it would be them.

im pretty sure there is a frame builders not that far away from here (pete mathews cycles) i will give em a ring

i seen a bike on the weekend that was chromed up so im thinking about getting the fork lowers chrome plated.

our metal department uses a place in London who charge next to nothing :)
  • Not mine, but a true frankenbike I saw this weekend.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride it.

6161652479_e4dc91e631.jpg
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    Sketchley wrote:

Doubt your forks will fit. 1" head tube.

Other news; I'm nearly ready for assembly. I've now got a chainset. I've got a few front mechs, but I'm not sure if any of them are right. I might start to put it together and see how it goes this weekend. Need some 8 speed shifters.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yep

what im worried about it is spending £80 on a powder coat, vintage parts etc then the frame collapses or a weld snaps. it happened to a mate of mine earlier this week on a 80's roadie frame

is there a way of testing a frame to see if its safe?

keep adding a load until just before it snaps.

Then don't put that much on again.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • A colleague at work is scrapping a mountain bike of unknown pedigree, and has kindly offered me all of the bits they can unbolt :D I feel a revision of my bike is in order, or perhaps another bike, if a frame appears :twisted:
  • sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Doubt your forks will fit. 1" head tube.

Other news; I'm nearly ready for assembly. I've now got a chainset. I've got a few front mechs, but I'm not sure if any of them are right. I might start to put it together and see how it goes this weekend. Need some 8 speed shifters.

Bugger your right with that.

This might work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANKRUPT-700c ... 588fb97337

or pushing the boat out

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... -out-frame
    --
    Chris

• veronese68
    Boats are for pushing...
    I only say that as it's not my money. I think the Kaffenback is designed for drop bars. Look at the geometry, it might come up short with flat bars.
    If I remember rightly your back wheel has a mountain bike width hub. What about using one of their 29" mountain bike frames? Rear hub spacing would be correct, but they may be disc specific. I can't look at the Planet X, On One web site here. That would also allow you a wider tyre choice should you ever go mad.
  • sketchley
    Hub spacing was always road on the Sirrius. Although not fussed about changing to a MTB frame as the spare wheels I have (new pair Shimano RS10) can be sold and MTB wheel brought. The planet X takes 32mm tyres if needed so is tempting.

Also just seen this and thinking of bidding http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Road- ... 415da8b40d
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    Sketchley wrote:
    Hub spacing was always road on the Sirrius. Although not fussed about changing to a MTB frame as the spare wheels I have (new pair Shimano RS10) can be sold and MTB wheel brought. The planet X takes 32mm tyres if needed so is tempting.

Also just seen this and thinking of bidding http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Road- ... 415da8b40d

Slightly OT, but if you are looking for a buyer for those RS10s, I may be interested. Need to replace my rear wheel - not sure it'll last until Ribble get some more R500s in stock - and the front is looking a tad worn too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sketchley
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Slightly OT, but if you are looking for a buyer for those RS10s, I may be interested. Need to replace my rear wheel - not sure it'll last until Ribble get some more R500s in stock - and the front is looking a tad worn too.

Maybe as they are no use to me at my weight as I'll trash them in 6 months. I've got a swap deal lined up with Paul for some mavic cxp22 rim on spesh hub wheels that came off his sectuer practically new, but I've been holding out until I get an new frame as I may go mountain bike for N+1 hybrid replacement in which case Paul E's wheels are no good to me. PM me with an offer if you want, currently they are in my loft as they arrived with the Genesis included innertubes and tyres. They are 100% brand new, never inflated and never been on a bike.
    --
    Chris

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I win surely?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    You have a PM Sketchley.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    It's nearly ready. I just need a headset press, or a long threaded rod. Oh, and a seatpost.
  • veronese68
    Right, lets see if this works. This should be a picture of my frame as it started. I believe it's a 2005 Kineseis.
    IMGP1306.jpg
    Must learn to make pictures smaller.