Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I would say so,

But like i said - get some hand builts - have a look over in the CX section and look for posts bu ugo.

Most people tend to go for handbuilts and H.Plus Archetypes Rims and Novatech hubs seem to be the best interms of value/quality about AFAIK
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Rubertoe is right, you'll get a decent pair of handbuilts for similar money to them. Ugo built my wheels with Novatec hubs and Open Pro CD rims, very pleased with them. He had to repair a Crosslight wheel for someone and reckoned it was a rebranded Novatec hub with own brand rims and spokes as I recall. Other wheel builders may be more local and convenient to you of course.
    The advantage of a handbuilt wheel is that, as well as better build quality, if you manage to damage a rim it can be replaced easily, as I found out when a car drove into my back wheel.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    Agreed. My new pair are handbuilt and will be 1500g for £380.00
    I have been using the Kinesis CX Crosslights since March and they are excellent. Certainly good for off-the-shelf items.
    Never gone out of true, but keep the rear cassette tightened as the cogs can eat into the alumium freehub body.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret
    Finally got my times for the Fallen Leaves event.
    2 Hrs 28 mins 37 seconds (my computer said 2hrs 20 and then there were the 2 food stops)
    23rd fastest out o 750+ riders, even if many did the shorter loops it's still good.

Not bad for someone 3 months short of 50. I am indeed very happy
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    fret wrote:
    2 Hrs 28 mins 37 seconds (my computer said 2hrs 20 and then there were the 2 food stops)
    23rd fastest out o 750+ riders, even if many did the shorter loops it's still good.

Well done. I bet you enjoyed spraying whippersnapper's faces with your mud!

Imagine how much faster you would've been on a Kaffenback.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fret wrote:

Excellent ride, well done!
  • veronese68
    Well done Fret, sounds like fun.
  • fret
    Ta.
    Only to discover a lump of glass the size of Africa in my front tyre this morning and a very flat tyre too. Luckily I have the day off so that was the first job. 2 punctures in the Gatorskins recently, both in the front, which is unusual.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    OK can someone point me in the direction of an off the shelf wheelset for the CX? under £400?
    My choice was Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collection/offroad/xc-all-mountain-29/products/red-power-29-xl... 1,915 g.
    Wiggle: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-red-power-29-xl-mtb-wheelset/
    Chainreactioncycles: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ru/ru/fulcrum-red-power-xl-mtb-wheelset-2014/rp-prod78576
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    Hi, folks

Bought a 2013 CX Pro in June 2013 from WIggle.
    Overall very happy with the bike.
    But what pisses me off is the front gear mech... Read a lot here about similar Microshift troubles but mine is Sram Force...
    A lot of mis-shifts when going from a small ring to a big one, and it takes quite a big effort to do so, especially in a wet wheather...
    Did the tuning many times but the trouble is still there.
    What's the problem? Time to change the cabling and / or outers?
    No problems with the rear mech at all - works like a Swiss watch... :D
    Thanks.
  • upsfon wrote:
    Hi, folks

Bought a 2013 CX Pro in June 2013 from WIggle.
    Overall very happy with the bike.
    But what pisses me off is the front gear mech... Read a lot here about similar Microshift troubles but mine is Sram Force...
    A lot of mis-shifts when going from a small ring to a big one, and it takes quite a big effort to do so, especially in a wet wheather...
    Did the tuning many times but the trouble is still there.
    What's the problem? Time to change the cabling and / or outers?
    No problems with the rear mech at all - works like a Swiss watch... :D
    Thanks.

Very much sounds like some form of adjustment. Positioning and alignment of the front mech is where I'd start - 9 times out of 10 that's what the cause is.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I took my 2014 model around Woburn woods for 90mins yesterday... Most enjoyable! She was caked in mud and wet sand afterwards but a gentle hosing down has her looking back to her best!
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I took my 2014 model around Woburn woods for 90mins yesterday... Most enjoyable! She was caked in mud and wet sand afterwards but a gentle hosing down has her looking back to her best!

Where's the "Like" button?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    PBK are doing the Pro4 Endurance for £20 so treated myself to a pair of those in 25mm after reading that they size up at 28mm when fitted
  • tincaman
    Well they are not 28mm on these rims, measured at 26.5mm. For interest 28 Gatorskins come up as 28.75mm
  • MUCH better tyre though, did a 2 day charity event on them once which included a LOT of off road! (accidentally). They were brilliant.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Another 16km cross training ride this morning. Having put conti cross king tyres on makes a huge difference to grip levels. Only slipped on the steepest of bankings. Could have been out for another hour easy but this cold needs beating off. I never realised the variety of terrain so close to home... Cycle ways, single track, bridal way and just riding over grassed fields! No deep clean today, just a hose down.
  • tincaman
    Any idea if this wheelset is suitable?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=835
    Stans Iron Cross - CX Disc - Switch Hubs Edition, 1645g
    iron-cross-switch.jpg
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    tincaman wrote:
    Any idea if this wheelset is suitable?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=835
    Stans Iron Cross - CX Disc - Switch Hubs Edition, 1645g
    iron-cross-switch.jpg

These are fine if you dont want to go on road - the Iron Cross rims cant run at the higher pressures needed for road use. Work well if you want tubeless tyres running at lower pressure though.
  • tincaman
    Thanks, learnt something there
  • Gave mine a full service over Christmas, think it deserved it after 10,000 miles!

Wheel bearing out, cleaned, back and re-adjusted
    Headset greased and adjusted
    Bottom bracket greased
    New cables
    New pads
    Cleaned chain and cassette
    Degreased rotors
    Wash & polish!

Was back to work yesterday, rode lovely as always.
  • fret
    You have been a good boy, Mr Essex. I must renew my cables some time this year, but it's only done a mere 5000 miles or so.

I haven't ridden mine for 2 weeks now (the shame) Christmas break got in the way and 70 mph winds aren't my idea of fun.

No upgrades this year so far as there is nothing that can really be improved apart from some hand built wheels and better brakes.

Just entered the Southern CX Sting and hope to improve on my time last year. No way am I stopping to help anyone this year. The one advantage is that I have moved up an age group so the chances of a "gold" time are better :oops:
    http://www.cxsportive.com/events/south- ... -mar-2014/

I've told myself I will enter more sportives and off road sportives this year, time will tell.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Just after some mudguard advice....

Will these fit a standard Boardman CX...? If so, what size fits best in your experiences?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplast ... guard-set/
  • tincaman
    Those will fit, you just need to chose the width to suit the largest tyre you will run
  • fret
    Best manufacturer of mudguards out there. They fit easily, mine have now been on my old CX9 and now the Boardman.
    Take about 30 mins to fit, no rattles, never come loose and still look new. Mine are the 35's and fit the 23/25mm tyyres brilliantly, but they only just clear the 35mm OEM tyres, so go for a bigger size if you use these or the 28's.

With 28mm Gatorskins

002_zps7b737e75.jpg

With OEM tyres.
    IMGP3420_zps2ca023f3.jpg
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Thanks very much guys, have ordered a set of the 35s also.

I've been toying with the idea of changing the tyres to something more road-worthy and designed to clear a bit more water than mud; what's a reasonable suggestion for the CX in these circumstances as a winter wet commuter?
  • Gixxer2812 wrote:
    Thanks very much guys, have ordered a set of the 35s also.

I've been toying with the idea of changing the tyres to something more road-worthy and designed to clear a bit more water than mud; what's a reasonable suggestion for the CX in these circumstances as a winter wet commuter?

I'm now running Vittoria Randonneur pro 2's 32 width with Chromoplastic 35s, no clearance issues. Lovely tyre that can handle bad conditions.

edit Planet X selling these for £19.75 ea at the moment.

• I'm now running Vittoria Randonneur pro 2's 32 width with Chromoplastic 35s, no clearance issues. Lovely tyre that can handle bad conditions.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII ... lding-tyre ....?
  • Gixxer2812 wrote:

I'm now running Vittoria Randonneur pro 2's 32 width with Chromoplastic 35s, no clearance issues. Lovely tyre that can handle bad conditions.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRANPII ... lding-tyre ....?

Even better, no excuse not to get them now!
  • veronese68
    I'm running the cross version on my Kinesis. Slightly more tread for trails, but still roll very well on road.