Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• I've just discovered the cracked paint on seatpost on my team cx 2014, it's only three weeks old. I phoned Halfords to indicate that I'd want to return it for a refund, and they said if it was cosmetic they wouldn't give me a refund on the bike. Is it within my rights to demand a refund for a manufacturing flaw like this, or do I have to take what they give me? Any advice much appreciated, I'm taking it to them tomorrow.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    No.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret wrote:
    No.
    No it's not within my rights, or No I don't have to take what the give me?
  • fret
    edited November 2013
    Ah, you posted just before my reply to the post above.
    I don't think the new one is worth more than the old one.

As to your post, unless they pointed it out when you bought it then under the SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979 (AS AMENDED) you are entitled to a full refund or the flaw/faults rectified. They may also offer a discount and it's up to you to accept or not.
    Take no shit from them as the contract is with HALFORDS, not BOARDMAN and just quote the above act. It's the law and they are breaking the law by trying to say you are not entitled to a refund or rectification.

Also, if you paid by credit card then contact the card company as the contract is between them and Haflords as well.

as stated. DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER as the bike is not perfect and the fault may be a crack. Ask them to sand it down, inspect thee frame and then respray it and then see what they say as you are fully entitled to ask for this to be done.

Be firm, take names and speak to the manager only if possible. It's also best when there is a large queue as they don't like confrontation. And don't forget to state the SOGA!!!!

Ask yourself this. Would you accept a £30,000 car with a cosmetic fault? The price of the item makes no difference.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret wrote:

As to your post, unless they pointed it out when you bought it then under the SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979 (AS AMENDED) you are entitled to a full refund or the flaw/faults rectified. THey may also offer a discount and it's up to you to accept or not.
    Take no shoot from them as the contract is with HALFORDS, not BOARDMAN and just quote the above act. It's the law and they are breaking the law by trying to say you are not entitled to a refund or rectification.

Thanks for that. I was getting a lot of 'If it's just cosmetic......' And 'the store manager will need to see it and decide' kind of indicating the best I could hope for was a replacement frame.

I'll quote that act at them when I take it up tomorrow.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I like Fret.
    Spotted my trolling and didn't bite. Knows his/her stuff. Offers good advice.

Hat.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I like Fret.

Hat.

Indeed hat.

but do you have issues with paint on your kaff? I don't on mine. :twisted:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I like Fret.

Hat.

Indeed hat.

but do you have issues with paint on your kaff? I don't on mine. :twisted:

Paint issues you say?...

Actually, yes. The reflective paint on mine is not very visible at the moment some of it is covered in mud from a bit of CXing I did the other day.
    I may have to give it a wipe down.

These Kaffenbacks are good, but they don't clean themselves.

• fret wrote:

As to your post, unless they pointed it out when you bought it then under the SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979 (AS AMENDED) you are entitled to a full refund or the flaw/faults rectified. THey may also offer a discount and it's up to you to accept or not.
    Take no shoot from them as the contract is with HALFORDS, not BOARDMAN and just quote the above act. It's the law and they are breaking the law by trying to say you are not entitled to a refund or rectification.

Thanks for that. I was getting a lot of 'If it's just cosmetic......' And 'the store manager will need to see it and decide' kind of indicating the best I could hope for was a replacement frame.

I'll quote that act at them when I take it up tomorrow.

Got a full refund. Thanks for the advice. They ended up being ok about it. Going to buy a Merida from my LBS which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Cheers.
  • Finally got round to taking a pic:
    35a_IDvuA1mmpGWKQoXLY1pogKimc17pVfRb8tQbK-U=w243-h182-p-no
    Still having the issues with the slack headset, and managed to snap the carbon bung bit just after taking this picture!

Managed to keep up with the Sunday club run last week, despite the 35mm landcruisers that I've got on.

Mudguard bodges here. P clip and bending on brake side, metal bracket from something through the skewer on the other. So far so good.
    vyMwQ-DnOU7tFqI3fSBMFXALdaK3FpAW7bXRekijbP8=w243-h182-p-no
    QcOtwX_qlYbp8wBJzNgj5Y2Ko9IPKybyGoAU3Lowdbo=w243-h182-p-no
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • mediumslow2
    mediumslow2 Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Hi would be really grateful for some advice on Sizing between a small & medium;

I nearly brought a medium CX team Boardman (the older 2013/13 model) today however I was just a bit too stretched out even with the saddle as far forwards as it can go. They have offered to swap the stem for shorter one say from the standard 12.5cm to a 8/9cm one I would think (or maybe even a shorter one). Seems to me as well that the standard stem is maybe longer than normal?

I really liked the bike but is this bike too large for me? I am 5'9" with a short inside leg 29.5 so have slightly longer arms than normal (or shorter legs whichever way you look at it :D ).

I thought a small would mean too much of leaned forward position (unfortunately there are no small old CX boardmans left).

Is it ok to change the stem or should I accept the medium is a bit too large that I really need a 54cm frame equivalent and forget it...? I just touch the top frame bar when standing flat footed on the floor.

I think the small might have been too small for me with too much of a leaned forward position.

Many thanks
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    I swapped my bike today for a 'new' one, frame looks ok for now but whoever set it up the gearing at the front is out, will only go on smallest front chain, and the rear wheel looks slightly un true?, or does it take time for the tyre to settle?. Anyway keeping this one whatever happens had enough trips to halfords to last me a lifetime, next bike wont be through halfords.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Caller wrote:
    I've just been looking at the Halfords site and they've discounted the left over 2013 Boardmans.

A store that's fairly local to me has the 2013 CX Team available for £820. With the current 10% promotion and the BC discount it drops the price to around £650.
    With the discounts in place the 2014 model comes out at £730.

Is the 2014 model worth the extra £80 over the 2013 model?

From the sound of things, the 2013 model would be a safer bet - no worries over paint/frame quality, mudguard eyelets on fork etc.

Am I crazy - I have a 2012 Hybrid Team, but post/read on this topic as it shares so much DNA with the CX and mudguard/lighter wheels questions etc are just as relevant to me. I have just seen the Hybrid Team 2013 reduced to the cheapest price I have ever seen - with BC discount it will work out around £540 I think plus hopefully another £30 from Quidco. I have just ordered one, boxed as a spare in case anything happens to mine (accident/theft/damage) or for when it starts to get tatty - its done 2 winters already and about to do another one. Am I mad? Seems that there is no way I would get something I like as much without paying more money and with the quality questions over the 2014 models, dont know what I would go for. The bike suits/fits me soo well and no way I want to change, so thinking it might be worth having a backup for £500. If I ever decide I dont want it, I guess I could still ebay it for reasonable money if its still boxed in a year or two. Does this make ANY sense at all?
  • fret
    mediumslow2 really liked the bike but is this bike too large for me? I am 5'9" with a short inside leg 29.5 so have slightly longer arms than normal (or shorter legs whichever way you look at it :D ).

How odd. I am 5ft 9 and have a short torso and long legs and arms but don't have issues.
    Don't forget the geometry is very similar to a road bike and therefore more stretched out than an MTB or hyrid/roadster.
    I agree the small may be better though at times.

Glad Helfrauds gave a refund.

Just recieved my isue of "CyclingPlus" and they are now calling these bikes "Adventure bikes" as they are a do it all go off-road type of affair.
    The 3 they tested don't include the new CX and the pick of the bunch is the £1200 Raleigh., the only disc braked model. Oh, and a lovely BH carbon bike at 7.7kgs for £2700
    Perhaps the old reviews of the CX are praise enough not to include it and hopefully the issues of the new model will be ironed out.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    apreading wrote:
    Caller wrote:
    I've just been looking at the Halfords site and they've discounted the left over 2013 Boardmans.

A store that's fairly local to me has the 2013 CX Team available for £820. With the current 10% promotion and the BC discount it drops the price to around £650.
    With the discounts in place the 2014 model comes out at £730.

Is the 2014 model worth the extra £80 over the 2013 model?

From the sound of things, the 2013 model would be a safer bet - no worries over paint/frame quality, mudguard eyelets on fork etc.

Am I crazy - I have a 2012 Hybrid Team, but post/read on this topic as it shares so much DNA with the CX and mudguard/lighter wheels questions etc are just as relevant to me. I have just seen the Hybrid Team 2013 reduced to the cheapest price I have ever seen - with BC discount it will work out around £540 I think plus hopefully another £30 from Quidco. I have just ordered one, boxed as a spare in case anything happens to mine (accident/theft/damage) or for when it starts to get tatty - its done 2 winters already and about to do another one. Am I mad? Seems that there is no way I would get something I like as much without paying more money and with the quality questions over the 2014 models, dont know what I would go for. The bike suits/fits me soo well and no way I want to change, so thinking it might be worth having a backup for £500. If I ever decide I dont want it, I guess I could still ebay it for reasonable money if its still boxed in a year or two. Does this make ANY sense at all?

I did a lot of research before buying the CX, even considered the Hybrid for conversion to drop bars.
    The only difference I could see apart from being heavier was a proper English BB and possibly shorter seat tube, making shouldering off road more difficult.
    I think you've chosen wisely.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Still having the issues with the slack headset, and managed to snap the carbon bung bit just after taking this picture!

Have you checked the fork steerer/spacers are correct? If the fork steerer is too long then you will never get it tight.
    Make sure the bung is correctly tightened INSIDE the steerer before attempting to tighten the final Allen bolt on the cap as all this will do is pull the bung up to the cap and then you'll never get it tight either way.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • postby fret » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 pm

"mediumslow2 really liked the bike but is this bike too large for me? I am 5'9" with a short inside leg 29.5 so have slightly longer arms than normal (or shorter legs whichever way you look at it :D );
    How odd. I am 5ft 9 and have a short torso and long legs and arms but don't have issues.
    Don't forget the geometry is very similar to a road bike and therefore more stretched out than an MTB or hyrid/roadster."

Thanks for the feedback; it may be that I am over worried at making an expensive mistake and there is nothing really wrong. The riding position feels ok riding around the shop but its after 30-40 miles that I am worried about....
  • fret
    edited November 2013
    We seem to have similar proportioned bodies by the sound of things. I've done 50 miles off-road and a few road sorties around 60 miles and don't have problems, despite a back problem that occasionally rears up through a trapped nerve.
    Your body soon adapts to any changes and the CX doesn't have a low headstock like many road bikes do. The geometry seems the same as the hybrid when on the tops of the bars from memory and sitting upright is probably worse as all your weight is then transferred to you sit bones/backside.
    Fitting a steeper angled stem, or even an adjustable one may help if you do suffer, but it may be worth getting a proper bike fit before shelling out.. If in doubt then always go for the smaller size.

You should have some clearance over the top tube though. REACH is the most important measurement on a frame. I've had 51's (seat tube) and even a 49cm and they fitted me fine as they had a decent length top tube and stem and were no longer than a similar 54cm. I've even gone the other way and had a 56cm. I did 86 miles in one day 3 years ago with a fully loaded bike (270 in 3 days) and only suffered from a tendon strain from too much cyclin and that was at the tender age of 46 :oops: I'm 50 in March and entering yet another off-road sportive just a week before my birthday so don't think I'm a lithe, fit individual by any means :lol:

In cyclocross they say to go for a size smaller than you would normally use. I can agree with this as the 54cm CX9 I had always seemed a tad large.

I do cycle every day, so may adapt more quickly than some but even swapping between my 2 bikes I don't find a great deal of difference despite a lower front and shorted top tube on by Ribble.

Don't forget that everyone is different and what is comfortable for one may be excruciating agony for another.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Caller
    Caller Posts: 124

I've just been thinking about this today and I've noticed a glaring error on my part!

I'm waiting for a Halfords voucher form our company cycle loan scheme (not the C2W, just an interest free loan) and the loan was for the price of the 2014 CX team. Apparently the voucher will not arrive for the next couple of weeks by which time the extra 10% discount will have expired.
    As a result the prices for the two bikes will be either £650 for the 2013 or £810 for the 2014 when the voucher arrives :shock:

For the £160 difference between the two models, I'm sure there's some decent upgrades I can make over the standard spec of the 2013 bike.
    I already have some BB7 brakes to be fitted and an upgraded wheelset so I think this could be a no-brainer.

It turns out that two local stores have stock of the 2013 so I just need to make sure that they're not wrecked ex-display models!
  • fret wrote:

Have you checked the fork steerer/spacers are correct? If the fork steerer is too long then you will never get it tight.
    Make sure the bung is correctly tightened INSIDE the steerer before attempting to tighten the final Allen bolt on the cap as all this will do is pull the bung up to the cap and then you'll never get it tight either way.

I used one from another bike today and it has been fine through a long ride - I think the standard FSA one is just a bit of a crap design!
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • fret
    I actually rode mine today in the manner for which it excels. I took it around some local fire roads and a bit of muddy lanes. Fantastic!!
    I didn't even change the wheels, it handled relatively OK with the Gatorskins, only struggling in the mud.

Can't wait for next weekend's event now.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Caller
    Picked mine up today from Halfords.
    I ended up going for the 2013 model with the extra discounts, worked out about £640 or so :)

I opted to take the bike away boxed up and build it myself and it's turning into a right pain in the neck!

I had the same problems that everyone else seems to have with the headset and the FSA top cap assembly that was included, it looks like a rip off of a Hope Head Doctor but doesn't work anything like as well. I've fitted a set of BB7's that I bought for a previous project but never used and decided to do away with the suicide levers at the same time. I got as far as replacing the front cable with a full length outer and realised that I've only got one, not two as I'd thought!

I can't get the gears to index properly, it looks to me like the mech hanger is slightly bent so I need to get on to Halfords tomorrow to see if they have a replacement available.

It's not going well so far :shock:
  • fret
    Just bend the hanger as it's very soft as the hanger is hard to obtain, at least for the old version.
    For some reason I had no click today and it felt like a new bike...........all I did was the usual 110psi Sunday tyre inflation. It's getting better, but now I want new handlebars as I can't get comfortable on the drops. I still can't find anything as comfortable as the C1/C3 bars fitted to my Cannondale.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Caller
    fret wrote:
    Just bend the hanger as it's very soft as the hanger is hard to obtain, at least for the old version.
    For some reason I had no click today and it felt like a new bike...........all I did was the usual 110psi Sunday tyre inflation. It's getting better, but now I want new handlebars as I can't get comfortable on the drops. I still can't find anything as comfortable as the C1/C3 bars fitted to my Cannondale.

I've tried bending the hanger but it's still not quite right. I spoke to Halfords this morning and they've ordered me one under warranty so that'll be handy.

I've had a quick spin on the bike and I'm not sure I've made the right decision with the size. I went for a medium as my large Roubaix feels a bit big but I think the CX might be a bit too small :shock:
    Oh well, if it's too small then I'll need to hunt out a bargain frame somewhere in a large :D
  • fret
    Longer stem and seat post.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Caller
    fret wrote:
    Longer stem and seat post.

The seatpost is long enough and the reach is pretty much spot on, the problem is more down to the drop from the saddle to the bars. It might just be a case of getting used to it though!
    After riding the Roubaix for the last year and loads of miles on the MTB, the CX feels very strange. I think I need to get it out and do a few miles on it to get a good feel for it.
  • fret
    The Roubaix is more of a Sportive bike with a taller headstock than the CX, isn't it?
    More so than the Allez I had, so that makes a huge difference.. What about using a different angled stem?
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Caller wrote:
    the problem is more down to the drop from the saddle to the bars.

Stem with more rise then?
  • fret
    That's too easy. People expect a bike to be a perfect fit. :twisted:
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • EKE_38BPM
    fret wrote:
    That's too easy. People expect a bike to be a perfect fit. :twisted:
    My Kaffenback fits me perfectly.

I'll be quiet now.