Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• fret
    fret Posts: 439
    You don't need tread on a road tyre as aquaplaning is nigh on impossible. (techie geek bit)

Gatorskins. I've tried various different tyres and after 8 years of commuting you can't beat them. I do 5000 miles a year and they last about 2 years or more. My first pair lasted almost 3

Hard work this week in strong winds, I certainly felt that I had had 2 weeks off the bike. I've just had my first missed gearshifts. I guess the cables need replacing as it's not as crisp as it once was.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    I was under the impression that the rims on the 2013 cx team were mountain bike rims, and will only accept 32mm or widder tyres?. I tried to put 28mm on mine and couldnt manage it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shame they qre not the Ritchey OCR anymore - I like the XM319 on my MTB but not being able to use road tyres on the CX is a massive mistake for Halfords/Boardman IMO because so many people do that on the old model.

Anyway, there seems conflicting advice: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... d-as-29ers

This quotes the CTC who say "The ideal relationship between tyre and rim section is about 1.8 to 1, but any tyre from 1.4 to 2.2 times should fit – always provided that the bead diameters correspond." Which suggests that you should be able to use Road Tyres but I would guess the success of this varies depending on the individual rim & tyre used...
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    I've got 28mm Gator Hardshells on my 2014 CX Team
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    koontz wrote:
    I was under the impression that the rims on the 2013 cx team were mountain bike rims, and will only accept 32mm or widder tyres?. I tried to put 28mm on mine and couldnt manage it.

Wow - that is a massive mistake by Boardman
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    koontz wrote:
    What happened when you tried to do this?
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Doubtful. Same wheelset that comes on the Hybrid IIRC.
  • apreading
    Good spot heez29 - hybrid with same rims works with zaffiro 28s. They are real easy tyres to get on compared to some. Koontz - perhaps it was just a difficult set of tyres you tried?
  • fret
    The Mavic rims are recommended for 1.5" to 2.3" in some ancient, archaic, obsolete measurement.
    That.s 38-59mm in real measurements. But as they take 32 as OEM then you can easily fit 28's and I reckon even 25's. I used 23's on the OEM Ritcheys at 120psi with no problems this year.

Different tyre manufacturers are often slightly different in sizes. For example I don't need levers to get the OEM tyres off OEM wheels, nor the Crosslights, or to refit.
    I need 1 lever to remove the Gatorskins (23 and 28) from the OEM, but need 2 to remove the 23's from the Crosslights and a lot of additional "magic mending words" to get the 28's off and refitted.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • koontz
    I meant the 2014 cx team, not sure if this is different rim but when I tried with cheapo vittoria 28mm they were to small, saying that I was using the same innertubes that came with the bike which might have beeen to big for the 28's will have another look. I got this bike on the cycle to work scheme and wanted something I could use off road bridle paths, loose stone and then on the road in spring summer, will be happy If I can fit 28mm, or even 25's.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    As I mentioned earlier, I've got 28mm Gatorskins on mine.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Hello all. New to owning a CX bike and recently bought a 2012/14 one second hand. I've read all 78 pages of this incredible blog and quite like the cut of Fret's jib.

Anyway, haven't been out of my new old bike as when I went to replace the pedals, I found that the DS pedal had been cross threaded without anti-seize and now the crank is not weighed down by pedals threads. Asked Halfords in Woking to assist and they happily ordered another crank. Called them up yesterday and was given the 3rd degree by the manager and was basically told that because I tried to change the pedals (this is not my first rodeo) that the damaged crank was my fault, so I packed it in and bought a replacement crank arm on Fleabay.

I've dealt with Halfords before and to be honest, just don't have the time to argue with them. I don't really have a leg to stand on as a second owner anyway.

Anyway, thought I'd say that you all have been very helpful when I was making the decision on size and front derailleur (got a Rival band on). I've fitted SKS P45's as they are the best and are my 4th for my various bikes. I'm 178cm and opted for a small due to the reach of that frame size. I really like SRAM kit so Apex shouldn't be too difficult to get to grips with.
  • koontz
    Managed to get the 28mm vitorias on, struggled as they were very tight on the rims, but seem pretty good. Went out yesterday for 24 miles and they obviously roll alot better than the stock rapid roys. Only problem when I got home and spun the wheels, sounds like there is something inside the tyre probably a bit of dust as they have been in the garage for 6 months.
  • fret
    cheapo vittoria 28mm they were to small

It's never worth doing "cheap", although the Vittorias I used on my road bike fitted fine, despite having the puncture resistance of wet newspaper.

I have ordered some new farkles for mine. Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Hullo

Just bought a 2014 CX comp instead of rollers and am thoroughly enjoying it, I can see accidents in the near future,

But anyway, aside from loving it , after around 300miles, 40%offroad, it seems to me that the Sora might not be up to the task. I am constantly bloody adjusting the thing, and have to use all 3 positions on the front shifter to get the best from the double compact front chainset.

Anyone else using the Sora equipped bikes, The Lyras are bedding in well though, better than I expected them to be.

Oh, and the OE tyres are as puncture resistant as a cheap jonnie
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • fret
    I would suggest that the SORA is bedding in with cables and housings settling down or "stretching"
    I can only speak with experience on the old 8 and 9 speed types, but I certainly never had problems in the 3 years and 3 bikes of ownership, both double and triple.
    You may have to trim the front mech if you are cross chaining, which is common to all makes and models (OK, not Dura Ace or Red). The front mech may need adjusting correctly as well.
    It could be a clamp on the cable not tightened up enough and the cable is slipping.
    You should never cross chain if you can help it.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • This is slightly more than trim though,
    Maybe being used to Ultegra, I`m expecting too much from the cheaper group.

It`s getting its initial service manyana so we`ll see how it performs after that, although usually I would do it mesell, but hey ho, new bike, fee service etc etc

I`m pleased with it though, The whole package feels a proper bargain for £500.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Glad your enjoying it, I've had a similar experience and only have Tiagra versus Sora. Crashing and bending the hanger didn't help. I've found that it beds down after time and while not perfect it shifts much better after a few months. Upshifts sometimes require 2 pulls and a down click to select the desired gear.
  • fret
    I would say that is down to the cable stretching and cheap outers compressing or even cable routing.
    The only faultless shifters I have had are the older 105 5600 and Ultegra 6600 and in Sram the Apex and my current Red/Force combination (even if it is now mis-shifting due to the age of the cables)
    Even the Ultegra 6700 on my road bike don't shift as well and that groupset is hardly used.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Yes it is probably cheap cables too..... It's a lot of bike for £500 so corners are cut somewhere!
  • fret
    My shifting has got even worse this last 2 days, despite a good clean and lube at the weekend.
    Time for new outers I think as I reckon they are either full of dirt or rust as I can feel an increased resistance.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Sorry to butt in - just found this thread, but not had time to browse all pages yet – apologies if this has been covered already. I built a Boardman CX Pro (pre disc model) last year to use as a winter trainer - it has FSA Energy triple chainset and Ultegra 9, 12/27 gearing. I use it predominantly on the road and often use it in preference to my carbon road bike. I would now like to venture off road a bit and as I live in a very hilly area of Wales, wanted to lighten it as much as possible and raise the gearing. I was thinking of SRAM Apex with 11/32 and a mountain bike 2x10 chainset, possibly 28/42. Has anyone done similar? Is it possible to fit a BB30 mountain bike chainset and are there any issues to consider (chainline etc)? Any recommendations for suitable chainset? Could I stick with triple option and use mountain bike / hybrid triple chainset? – so many questions!!

Thanks in advance.

Jon
  • tincaman
    If you already have a triple use a mountain bike rear mech and a MTB cassette, some-one will be along to tell you which mech will be suitable
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Hi all, I know I am a bit late to this thread, but I only found it a couple of days ago as I usually spend my time in the Road forum. Anyway, I have skimmed through the 78 pages as I have had a Boardman CX for about 15 months and thought I might add my experiences to the thread, which will ring a bell or two with some of you. I went for a disc brake bike after wearing out rims on my previous winter bikes.

1) Mine is the previous model, bought in Nov 2012. I am 5' 8" with a 29.5" inseam and went for the medium size which suits my short leg / long body setup.
    2) Delivered and made ready by my local Halfords. Only minor problem on my first ride was the setting of the front changer which kept throwing the chain off the big ring. I set the limit screw myself.
    3) It came with a 11-28 cassette, not the 11-32 in the specifications, which means slightly closer gears, which is OK for me.
    4) Plenty of positive comment from clubmates on how it looks, many being fooled int thinking it is a carbon frame.
    5) As this is a winter / wet trainer, I put on the wide P45 SKS guards to clear the original Ritchey tyres.
    6) Changed the tyres after a few weeks for Conti GP 4 Seasons (28mm), and spotted the crappy rim tape, which I swapped out at the same time. Tyres look a bit small under the bigger guards.
    7) Last spring, there was a rumble from the drivetrain, which I thought might be the dreaded BB30 bearings. Removed the chain, bottom bracket was fine (and still is after 3000 miles, often very wet miles!), it turned out to be the freehub. I flushed it out and trickled fresh oil in ,and this improved matters, but was not a long term fix. I checked with Harry Rowland (lives in the next road) if he could source a Formula freehub, but he tells me getting spares is not that easy so I got one from Halfords (you need an 11mm allen key to remove it!)
    8) Got Harry to build me a set of wheels that I know I can get spares for anywhere. These are XT hubs with Mavic TN719 rims. Not the lightest wheels, but then I'm a few kg overweight and its for winter miles anyway.
    9) I persevered with the BB5 brakes for several months, making regular adjustments, pad cleaning, bedding in etc, but in the end I succumbed to a pair of BB7's which are considerably better. This should improve a bit more when I remove the bar top brake levers.
    10) I am still using the original saddle, which I find to be OK.
    11) I changed the chain at about 2,200 miles as it was close to the 0.75 on my chain checker.

Apologies for the ramble. I would recommend the bike, in spite of a few niggles, just a shame that the new model appears not to have front mudguard eyes.
  • tincaman
    My spare wheelset from my 2011 Boardman CX is for sale
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12955114
  • fret
    For all those who think their head races may be clicking.
    Check your front wheel fitting. I have had a problem with mine moving in the l/h fork dropout ever since new and despite several different type of skewer it still clicks under braking and then re-settles once on the power again with a few clicks again.
    I just can't get it tight enough.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Sorted!!!

I fitted the Mavic front wheel skewer from my road bike and it now no longer creaks nor moves. :lol:
    I think I can forgive gaining 80g from better skewers.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • DaveM399 wrote:
    7) Last spring, there was a rumble from the drivetrain, which I thought might be the dreaded BB30 bearings. Removed the chain, bottom bracket was fine (and still is after 3000 miles, often very wet miles!), it turned out to be the freehub. I flushed it out and trickled fresh oil in ,and this improved matters, but was not a long term fix. I checked with Harry Rowland (lives in the next road) if he could source a Formula freehub, but he tells me getting spares is not that easy so I got one from Halfords (you need an 11mm allen key to remove it!)

The freehub body on my boardman cx is completely sealed up, so suspect I will need to replace. Did you have to put a special order in with Halfords? I don't see it listed on their website.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    DaveM399 wrote:

The freehub body on my boardman cx is completely sealed up, so suspect I will need to replace. Did you have to put a special order in with Halfords? I don't see it listed on their website.
    Yes, I popped into my local Halfords and ordered one and picked it up the following day. I found a part number on the web (can't remember where, and I can't find my receipt either). I gave this number to the lad who was having trouble finding it on the Halfords computer system and it came up for him.
  • apreading
    Out of interest - how much was the hub? And the part number would be useful if anyone can find it. Dont need one now, but I am sure others and maybe me will need it in the future...