Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Burndust wrote:
    well thankfullt these are not end of line...according to boardman...they've just ran out

Hmm, I would question why they have 'run-out' though. I still bet on the specification being superseded as the shortage appears to be across all frame sizes and the small frames haven't been available for a while.

Did they give you any indication on the lead-time for new stock?
    Boardman CX Team
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    nah no indication as to when...they just gave the due to demand speal...just have to wait and see... i really do hope they keep the same spec and components though...as despite some issues its generally a cracking bike
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • fret wrote:
    Took the bike out for it's first daytime outing today. Considering it's a weighty beast I was surprised how quick it actually is when not consigned to its' normal commuting duties.
    25 miles in 41 minutes equates to 15mph, which is no bad thing considering much of the route is over the South Downs and then the Meon Valley. Probably just 1 or 2 mph down on the road bike. Felt the last 5 miles though as I only do 18 a day.
    Tagged along with a couple of roadies for a bit and even had a go at the old railway...................for about 200 yards when 100psi road tyres do not work very well in the mud :oops: Ran out of gears on one hill. Could have done with possibly a 28 on the rear cassette.
    All this is handy to know what tyres and pressures to use on the sportive.

Just given it the first good clean of the year to get rid of the road grime, salt and gunk on the chain. It's so much cleaner than an equivalent bike with rim brakes and was not really dirty at all.

Still pleased with it and wish I had got one 2 years ago when CTW was worth it.

25miles in 41 minutes is 36mph Chapeau!!
  • Burndust
    nah no indication as to when...they just gave the due to demand speal...just have to wait and see... i really do hope they keep the same spec and components though...as despite some issues its generally a cracking bike
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • cookdn
    Burndust wrote:

A potential specification change is not necessarily negative. For example they could go to a mixture of Shimano 105 and Tiagra now Tiagra has gone 10 speed and there is a 12-30T Tiagra cassette. This is pure speculation mind.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • fret wrote:
    3.3kg is more like it with the tyres and cassette fitted. I have the weights at work from some very accurate scales.
    • Front mech is pathetic. Really hard to change, so don’t know if the Microshift unit at fault or that and levers. Suspect putting an SRAM apex FM should solve it.
    • Brakes fiddly to set up, but do-able and once you get them sorted are great.

Overall v happy with my purchase. With conti-gatorskins and SKS ‘guards it’s a perfect commuter. Fast, stops well and very comfortable. And excellent value. HTH.

Yup. Changed my front to Rival, far better.
    Brakes are now fine, still make a noise though, but only when dry.
    Ditto the Gatorskins and SKS guards.
    You don't need your card, just print the voucher on the BC website and take it in (this is what I did) plus there's another £60 off at the moment (ends tomorrow) which takes the bike to £800 give or take a bit.

You need BOTH the card AND the voucher.

I have entered a CX sportive near Petworth/Pulborough on the 10th March. This should be fun at 80km and my age :lol::lol:

Well according to the website you do, but my experience first hand is that you don't - maybe a pragmatic and helpful Halfords staff member at my branch. They're out there somewhere 8)
  • wsceats wrote:
    fret wrote:
    34.9mm will sort it.
    I now find the front extremely precise, still stiffer than my Ultegra, but much better than the microshit. Never misses a shift, unless it's down to human error.
    many thanks - much appreciated

I fitted a 105 front mech, much nicer than the microshift offering and works very nicely. Next stage is 105 shifters and rear mech when I can divert the funds from the road bike/mtb money pits.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cookdn wrote:
    Burndust wrote:
    well thankfullt these are not end of line...according to boardman...they've just ran out

Hmm, I would question why they have 'run-out' though. I still bet on the specification being superseded as the shortage appears to be across all frame sizes and the small frames haven't been available for a while.

Did they give you any indication on the lead-time for new stock?

Dont know about the small as I havent been looking at that but everywhere round here had the large a couple of weeks ago and then Halfords had a 'spend and save' promotion and it just looks like they have sold out since. I guess everyone who wants one knows they do these promotions and waits till they come around and then they fly off the shelves?

Boardman reportedly only do model changes every 2 years and arent due this year. Of course if the cost of parts has gone up and they arent making enough profit any more then they could change the spec but I suspect the reason is not this sinster.

The Full Suss MTBs went through a period of being like hens teeth 6 months ago, then they started coming back in stock again.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    Well done for spotting the deliberate mistake, Arthur :oops:
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • fret
    Merida make the bikes, so perhaps they only re-tool and paint to batches or orders for a certain amount by Boardman bikes.
    Certainly they have been out of stock of Small since well before November.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • I'm trying to track down a large for a customer, and so far every other store I ring comes up with the same story of "display, lightly scratched, won't send". I'll let you guys know when there's more due in
  • When trying to locate mine, i found a very helpful person in the call centre who told me they won’t send from one store to another as each store operates on a separate P&L, and there’s no scope for stock transferral, nor ability to charge for it. This is a common problem with online click n’ collect models to, so looks like a structural issue. Either way, p1sspoor for a customer, but there you go...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    2 Large models in Crawley
    1 Small one in Dorking
  • fret wrote:
    Merida make the bikes, so perhaps they only re-tool and paint to batches or orders for a certain amount by Boardman bikes.
    Certainly they have been out of stock of Small since well before November.

Interesting, I didn't know that. 8)
  • fret
    2nd biggest bike manufacturer in the world and, like the biggest, they make bikes for many other brands.
    After years of making branded models they decided to release their own marque, which is why they are also very good value as there are less stages for mark-up. Merida make Cannondale I believe as well.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • wsceats wrote:
    When trying to locate mine, i found a very helpful person in the call centre who told me they won’t send from one store to another as each store operates on a separate P&L, and there’s no scope for stock transferral, nor ability to charge for it. This is a common problem with online click n’ collect models to, so looks like a structural issue. Either way, p1sspoor for a customer, but there you go...

Usual Halfords business mate, I'm a part timer in a Manchester branch but I've managed to get 3 Boardman CX's sent to my store over the last 3 months, depends on who's on that day and how nice you are to them. Stock levels are quite poor at the moment, there's only display models left now as far as I know
  • Burndust
    is there any news as to when they are likley to be re-stocked?
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • wsceats wrote:
    When trying to locate mine, i found a very helpful person in the call centre who told me they won’t send from one store to another as each store operates on a separate P&L, and there’s no scope for stock transferral, nor ability to charge for it. This is a common problem with online click n’ collect models to, so looks like a structural issue. Either way, p1sspoor for a customer, but there you go...

Usual Halfords business mate, I'm a part timer in a Manchester branch but I've managed to get 3 Boardman CX's sent to my store over the last 3 months, depends on who's on that day and how nice you are to them. Stock levels are quite poor at the moment, there's only display models left now as far as I know

Ah! Like a person in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected! :oops:
  • fret
    No training this weekend, rumour has it that it has been rather moist down here.
    Deep joy. 50 miles is seeming less appealing by the day :lol:

Has anyone changed their'bars for shallow compacts? I'm struggling to find a set I like.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Elliot Davo,

don't suppose you could give a clue as to which manchester store? I'm looking to get a CX through r2w and would be good to know there's someone there who knows what he's talking about...
  • Question regarding mudguards.

I currently have some zefal mudguards on my CX and quite frankly they are pants.
    I really like the discrete look of the Crud Road Racer MK2's but am pretty sure they wont fit properly.
    So, what would be the next best choice?
    I want something as discrete as possible in matt black (not shiny)

Any recommendations?
  • cookdn
    jamin100 wrote:
    Question regarding mudguards.

I currently have some zefal mudguards on my CX and quite frankly they are pants.
    I really like the discrete look of the Crud Road Racer MK2's but am pretty sure they wont fit properly.

Any recommendations?

I would have suggested SKS Bluemels (as recommended by Bails) but I can only find the matt black finish in a really wide 38-47mm trekking version (showing discontinued at CRC). Shame as the standard 25-35mm fit really well with my 28mm Gatorskins, are solid and completely rattle free.

Best regards.
    Boardman CX Team
  • Thanks - Yes I've looked at those and they look the next best...
    I run with Schwalbe Marathon Racers 700 x 30c would the 700 x 20-28c be too narrow?

EDIT:
    Is this them in the 25-35c size?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mudguards-Set ... 0808688022
  • Small amount of large's due in for middle of march, don't know about the other sizes
  • fret
    Question regarding mudguards.

Any recommendations?

Correct, crud roads will not fit easily, especially the rear one. You CAN do it, but you have to use something to space them nearer the tyre, such as a piece of 25mm plastic conduit like I did with the CX9.
    SKS Chromoplastic which I have on mine fit pretty well and you can get them really close to the tyre, but are a gloss brown when the sun shines on them.
    Try the SKS Velo range as they don't seem to stick out too much like a sore thumb http://road.cc/content/review/45228-sks ... n-mudguard
    http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=prod ... 42%20URBAN
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • cookdn
    jamin100 wrote:
    Thanks - Yes I've looked at those and they look the next best...
    I run with Schwalbe Marathon Racers 700 x 30c would the 700 x 20-28c be too narrow?

EDIT:
    Is this them in the 25-35c size?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mudguards-Set ... 0808688022

SKS are listing those 45mm guards being suitable for 28-38mm 700c tyres. The guards I have for 25-35mm tyres are 42mm so there is almost nothing in it especially as you are running 30mm tyres. If you are after the matt-black go for it. :)

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • fret
    I use the SKS P35 that are supposed to be for 20-28mm tyres on 32mm gatorskins and they just about clear the OEM CX tyres if you move them away on the stays.
    I don't have any problems with spray in the horrendous weather we have on my 9 mile commute.
    But there isn't a huge amount of overlap as you can imagine. Seen here in the raised position, they don't look too bad
    IMGP3420_zps2ca023f3.jpg
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Burndust
    i would be looking to stick some gator 32's on mine...when i eventually get it, but the 32's seem quite hard to get from initial searches
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • fret
    Triumph Tiger 1200