Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• wsceats
    wsceats Posts: 25
    I got mine in early January and whilst I’ve only done a couple of hundred miles on it, initial reflections are:

• BB greasing issue seems to have been rectified following early batch issues. Mine’s been fine, and when asked chap in Halfords he said he’d only come across 2 issues with the BB30 and that was over 2 years ago.
    • Front mech is pathetic. Really hard to change, so don’t know if the Microshift unit at fault or that and levers. Suspect putting an SRAM apex FM should solve it.
    • Brakes fiddly to set up, but do-able and once you get them sorted are great.

Overall v happy with my purchase. With conti-gatorskins and SKS ‘guards it’s a perfect commuter. Fast, stops well and very comfortable. And excellent value. HTH.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    wsceats wrote:
    I got mine in early January and whilst I’ve only done a couple of hundred miles on it, initial reflections are:

• BB greasing issue seems to have been rectified following early batch issues. Mine’s been fine, and when asked chap in Halfords he said he’d only come across 2 issues with the BB30 and that was over 2 years ago.
    • Front mech is pathetic. Really hard to change, so don’t know if the Microshift unit at fault or that and levers. Suspect putting an SRAM apex FM should solve it.

Overall v happy with my purchase. With conti-gatorskins and SKS ‘guards it’s a perfect commuter. Fast, stops well and very comfortable. And excellent value. HTH.

I've not had an issue with the BB30 (assembled by the Halfords web-order workshop) but you can always request the bike to be delivered unbuilt and either assemble it yourself or pay a bike shop you trust to assemble it for you.

The front mech isn't great, but I haven't felt the need to swap it out yet and I've done a few thousand miles. Despite getting widespread criticism I find the Avid BB5 disc brakes really good. Adjustment isn't a problem if you follow one the many online guides such as Bike Shop Girl's.

However looking at the Halfords web site I wonder if the current bike is about to be superseded? They are only advertising the medium and large frame sizes for in-store collection. No small frame (as mine is) and no home delivery? (If I wanted a large frame I would have to go all the way to Kidderminster from Nottingham :?) The price can fluctuate and seems high at the moment, I seem to remember it being about £850 normally (currently £950 before BC discount)?
    Boardman CX Team
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    must admit the price at the moment is putting me off a bit, it was 899 just before xmas....
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • join BC, get an extra 10% off any deals they are doing (cumulative discount) I paid £750 for mine last year by applying multiple discounts.
  • Burndust
    already joined BC just waiting on my membership card...and trawling the internet for more discounts lol
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • You don't need your card, just print the voucher on the BC website and take it in (this is what I did) plus there's another £60 off at the moment (ends tomorrow) which takes the bike to £800 give or take a bit.
  • How does this wheels compare to the originals?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Fit-d ... 1e7698ac3a
    Figure they'll be a lot lighter but it seems too good to be true
  • Burndust
    You don't need your card, just print the voucher on the BC website and take it in (this is what I did) plus there's another £60 off at the moment (ends tomorrow) which takes the bike to £800 give or take a bit.

oh...thanks i was holding off as the voucher says you need a valid membership card too...also can anyone recommend a set of pedals prefer flats dont fancy SPD pedals
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • DMR V8's are quite grippy for only £20
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    How does this wheels compare to the originals?

2.3kg seems quite heavy to me. How much do the originals weigh?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If they are the same wheels as the hybrid, then BikeRadar says:

Wheels:
    Front Wheel Weight: 1514 g
    Rear Wheel Weight: 1988 g

That seems really heavy to me though. If that is the case then those wheels are still saving a kilo, but I would be more inclined to pay the extra for something like http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=623
  • Ouija
    edited January 2013
    apreading wrote:
    If they are the same wheels as the hybrid, then BikeRadar says:

Wheels:
    Front Wheel Weight: 1514 g
    Rear Wheel Weight: 1988 g

That seems really heavy to me though. If that is the case then those wheels are still saving a kilo, but I would be more inclined to pay the extra for something like http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=623

Jeesus! Is that with everything attached (tyres, tubes, rotors etc)? Even the heaviest mountain bike wheels barely come in at 2.6kg unless you go old school and use solid steel rims. And even the mid range, not that expensive, ones come in at the 2kg mark (i use Pro-lite Alleyns at 1.6kg which isn't anywhere near as light as mountain bike wheels can go).

Ok. I know we are talking 700c wheels here, but i'd expect even a cheap set to weigh less than the average mountain bike wheel due to fewer spokes and skinnier rims.
  • apreading
    Yeah - I am not absulutely sure that Bikeradar have these figures right - but if they do then any upgrade would be well worth it!
  • Ouija
    +1 on those Superstar wheels. 1.8kg will completely change the feel of the bike if the bikes stock wheels are that heavy (it'll feel like your skipping along, instead of trudging along). Should never buy sub £150 wheels unless your really strapped for cash and just don't mind lugging all the extra weight.
  • Burndust
    oh well it looks like the previous comment about this about to be replaced may be true, as no halfords anywhere near me has them according to the website, maybe they're just out of stock though, hope they get more though
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • The wheels are the same of the Hybrid Team/Pro. Just wondering, saw a few custom mades on ebay, then came across the £80. Like I said, weight improvement over the OEM for a small amount, but seemed too good to be true
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508

I weighed my spare set of original wheels, 2.1kg total
  • Ouija
    tincaman wrote:

I weighed my spare set of original wheels, 2.1kg total

That sounds more like it. Knew 3.3kg was a ridiculous sounding weight for alloy wheels.

The Supestars seem like the only way to go if you want lighter for not too much money.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    3.3kg is more like it with the tyres and cassette fitted. I have the weights at work from some very accurate scales.

Yup. Changed my front to Rival, far better.
    Brakes are now fine, still make a noise though, but only when dry.
    Ditto the Gatorskins and SKS guards.
    You don't need your card, just print the voucher on the BC website and take it in (this is what I did) plus there's another £60 off at the moment (ends tomorrow) which takes the bike to £800 give or take a bit.

You need BOTH the card AND the voucher.

I have entered a CX sportive near Petworth/Pulborough on the 10th March. This should be fun at 80km and my age :lol::lol:
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • apreading
    fret wrote:
    You need BOTH the card AND the voucher.

In theory, but in the three times I have used mine, first I offered and they checked it, second I asked if they wanted to see it and they said no and third time they didnt ask and I didnt bother getting it out.
  • Burndust
    well it doesnt look like i will be getting mine anytime soon looks like halfords are completley sold out even checked for stores in london etc...funny cause the website still says avail for collection
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • fret
    I think it may be discontinued now as only 2 sizes were listed when I bought mine. Probably a newer one with even cheaper components fitted. The Pro isn't worth the extra really over the team.

Re the weight of the wheels.
    Weighed complete with OEM cassette and Gatorskin 28 tyres.
    Front 1682g
    Rear 2179g
    Total 3861g

So the 3.3kg stated earlier is about right for naked wheels. Bit of a shock when my road wheels weigh less than 1600g with the rear cassette and about 2000 all in with tyres etc. It's the wheels that really need to lose weight on the bike as you can lose maybe 1kg from various components at a push. I can only see handmade ones that have any significant weight advantages.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • Burndust
    fret wrote:
    I think it may be discontinued now as only 2 sizes were listed when I bought mine. Probably a newer one with even cheaper components fitted. The Pro isn't worth the extra really over the team.

thats very dissapointing news if that is indeed the case :(
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • fret wrote:
    3.3kg is more like it with the tyres and cassette fitted. I have the weights at work from some very accurate scales.

Yup. Changed my front to Rival, far better.
    Brakes are now fine, still make a noise though, but only when dry.
    Ditto the Gatorskins and SKS guards.[/quote]

@fret - what size band Rival front mech did you buy? I don’t have a calliper to measure tube diameter efficiently but it looks like a 31.8mm band. Is this correct?
  • fret
    34.9mm will sort it.
    I now find the front extremely precise, still stiffer than my Ultegra, but much better than the microshit. Never misses a shift, unless it's down to human error.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Although I did lie, mine is a FORCE, so even better.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    OK, get the money out. I'm doing the CX for Diabetes.
    Event here. http://www.cxsportive.com/events/south- ... -mar-2013/
    http://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gent1
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret wrote:
    34.9mm will sort it.
    I now find the front extremely precise, still stiffer than my Ultegra, but much better than the microshit. Never misses a shift, unless it's down to human error.
    many thanks - much appreciated
  • fret
    Took the bike out for it's first daytime outing today. Considering it's a weighty beast I was surprised how quick it actually is when not consigned to its' normal commuting duties.
    25 miles in 41 minutes equates to 15mph, which is no bad thing considering much of the route is over the South Downs and then the Meon Valley. Probably just 1 or 2 mph down on the road bike. Felt the last 5 miles though as I only do 18 a day.
    Tagged along with a couple of roadies for a bit and even had a go at the old railway...................for about 200 yards when 100psi road tyres do not work very well in the mud :oops: Ran out of gears on one hill. Could have done with possibly a 28 on the rear cassette.
    All this is handy to know what tyres and pressures to use on the sportive.

Just given it the first good clean of the year to get rid of the road grime, salt and gunk on the chain. It's so much cleaner than an equivalent bike with rim brakes and was not really dirty at all.

Still pleased with it and wish I had got one 2 years ago when CTW was worth it.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Burndust
    well thankfullt these are not end of line...according to boardman...they've just ran out
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2