Is the Cav Sky move a done deal?

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    The latter.

He's still a step ahead of the rest.

and the opposition is more clued up

Can you elaborate on just what is it they are clued up on ? If you go by Tour stages won compared to previous years they aint really getting any nearer to him as on two or three of of those stages he pi**sed all over them. Like him or loathe him he is in class of his own by a long way.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    The latter.

He's still a step ahead of the rest.

and the opposition is more clued up

But clued up how?

He's been doing this for four years. What have they learnt that is new?

Now, early on in a GT, a smart sprinter can outsmart him. But only Petacchi is smart enough to do this - and he's done it a few times. But then Cavendish is also smart and doesn't let it happen again.

(Betting on Cav to win the first sprint of a GT is a bad bet.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Pross wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Hals1967 wrote:
    Eisel, Renshaw and Cav to Sky replacing Henderson, Gerrans and Rogers.

I'd be happy with that.

Don't replace Rogers, keep him there to form part of the train.

Gerrans is there to support Wiggins in the mountains, who would take that role if he left? Any team having 2 main objectives in the TdF is going to have serious headaches; its doubtful if either Wiggins or Cav would be happy at being 'downgraded'. Cav moving to Sky next season is not in anyones interest.

Not sure about that, I've never seen Gerrans up there on mountain stages. EBH did a fantastic job in that role in the Dauphine, G showed in the Tour that he is starting to be able to ride in the big mountain, Uran is a very good climber and potential future GC contender in his own right, the same with Lofkvist although I think he will leave as he now looks 3rd choice at best as the GT overall man. Then there is Zandio who is also supposed to be a climbing domestique and Dario Cioni in a similar position although neither seem that good from what I have seen. I see Gerrans as more of a hilly classics rider.

Mountain stage wins in the TdF and Vuelta suggest a rider capable who is more than useful in the mountains.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    It's Highroad that's looking for a sponsor. HTC IS the current sponsor and is pulling out.

I know that, but everyone just calls the team HTC.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Its a def done deal willing to take any bet with anyone here on that

The stated aim of a Brit tour winner was just that, an ultimate goal, an ambitious soundbite. While they have the young talent to develop in G and Pete K if you have read ned boultings book or any interviews with sky this season then you know this aim has been downplayed in favour of producing a well rounded and successful team who can compete in all races.

Everyone saying it's a bad move, how can sky make it work etc I think are being too eager to assume the role of an armchair expert. I think it might leave things for them to prove but I would fully expect that to happen.

As others have said sky is actually full of his British cycling mates from the academy, a few of which he trains with. Sky offer the money, setup and environment that I would expect will suit cav and whoever he brings. The htc team seems a very different environment these days to the one shown in chasing legends.

Honoured by the queen, current green jersey wearer and potential world champ, British and a proper cycling superstar. How can sky not want/have him in the team? Any lead out htc has, sky can match. Their problem right now is the best sprinter to finish that is currently not in their team.

Finally all that about no team can accommodate gc and cav, guess that's one for them to prove wrong.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Everyone saying it's a bad move, how can sky make it work etc I think are being too eager to assume the role of an armchair expert. I think it might leave things for them to prove but I would fully expect that to happen.
    The irony....I'm sure 'I would fully expect that to happen' won't count as being from someone in the role of an armchair expert. :lol:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Any lead out htc has, sky can match. Their problem right now is the best sprinter to finish that is currently not in their team.

Hope you are right, for the sake of Cav's efforts of catching Mr Merckx.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Any lead out htc has, sky can match. Their problem right now is the best sprinter to finish that is currently not in their team.

Hope you are right, for the sake of Cav's efforts of catching Mr Merckx.

He will never catch Mr Merckx. Merckx's victory to Mourenx is better than all Cav's 20 wins combined.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • durhamwasp
    Yeah, u know what i mean....
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp
    Cav will be live on BBC 1 at 8.30 this morning, wonder if he will reveal anything.
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Cav will be live on BBC 1 at 8.30 this morning, wonder if he will reveal anything.

He's also on Radio 4 at 8:25 and 5 Live at 9:45 according to his Twitter page.

It'll be interesting to see what he says about next season.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    durhamwasp wrote:

He's also on Radio 4 at 8:25 and 5 Live at 9:45 according to his Twitter page.

It'll be interesting to see what he says about next season.

Nothing on Radio 4, but then he wasn't asked anything too probing. Usual stuff like, "What's the green jersey"?. Not blaming John Humphreys, he's asking questions relevant to 95% of the audience, but it must drive Cav spare !!
  • pat1cp
    Apparently he's made up his mind, though he's not saying. Live on Radio 5 now.

He's staying at High-Road I reckon.
  • pat1cp

• pat1cp wrote:

If he was staying - it's more likely that he would just say so now. If he's leaving, he'd wait to announce it.

(It seems that the riders that are staying out are announcing it. Just a guess)
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    He said that something new had been offered and that was why he'd made a decision. Considering Highroad don't appear to have a sponsor yet I doubt Bob is in a position to be offering extras to Cav at this stage, so I'm guessing he's going elsewhere?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    If I was a betting man, right now I'd say staying at Highroad.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Snorebens wrote:
    If I was a betting man, right now I'd say staying at Highroad.

Cannot see Cuddly bob having 1.5m Euros per season for him.

Also rumorville have quite a few of the HTC ship jumping.
  • pat1cp
    incog24 wrote:
    He said that something new had been offered and that was why he'd made a decision. Considering Highroad don't appear to have a sponsor yet I doubt Bob is in a position to be offering extras to Cav at this stage, so I'm guessing he's going elsewhere?

Could it be that Cuddly Bob has secured a sponsor, based on Cav staying and it's going to take a week or two to bet everything buttoned up.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Cav to Vacansoleil Highroad :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    It's the (sky) team bus what done it !

More seriously, I hope he ends up with however is most prepared to do full justice to his quite phenomenal finishing speed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Sky have any sense (and I believe they do), they will have offered Cav's girlfriend a presenting job to sweeten the deal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I never thought of that, Richard, and, from what he said on Radio 5 this morning, it would fit.

Although.............if that was the case, Sky would have trumpeted it by now. The delay hints that it's Highroad-Some-one-else (likely Vacansoleil).

Maybe it's Omega-Quick Step.

Maybe it's GreenEdge. That would neutralise his chief rival-to-be (Goss) and it would be a logical fit for Renshaw.
    708912 Posts: 13
    Renshaw and Cav have already signed for Sky a few days back. Nice 2.5million in the bag for Cav. Keeping hush is just goof for the PR.
  • TMR
    708912 wrote:
    Renshaw and Cav have already signed for Sky a few days back. Nice 2.5million in the bag for Cav. Keeping hush is just goof for the PR.

Oh really? Well, 'Mr 1 post' perhaps you can tell us who the new High Road sponsor is as well? :P
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    708912 wrote:

Oh really? Well, 'Mr 1 post' perhaps you can tell us who the new High Road sponsor is as well? :P

Starbucks :wink:
  • TMR
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Starbucks :wink:

Very good! ;)
    708912 Posts: 13
    You have to start somewhere, might as well be worthwhile. Like the facts.
    HTC are still looking and also in discussions for team merger.
  • Damn some brits are so stupid. Too much island inbreeding i guess. It does not take great feats of mental gymnstics to see what is in play. cav has tentatively signed with Sky. But he promised Bob to keep it quiet so it does not kill Highroad while Bob is looking for a sponsor. However, Cavendishy knows that his silence hurts bob as well. If he were just to man up and say "i am moving to Sky", at least Bob and his potential sponsors could decide to do with all the facts on the table. It is a duel edged sword that cuts bob more than cavendishy. In light of the fact that cavendishy is a sociopath, he does not care if he hurts bob/highroad. In fact, he wants to kill highroad so his babysitters (train) can follow him to Sky. His ego won't allow him to go anywhere but Sky, but he knows he needs his babysitters to win consistently, so he is playing this silly "i have made my decision but i am not saying" game. Here in the USA we had a pro athlete do the same last year . . . LaBron James. (wanker) He announced on live TV after an hour long program about him. He is one of the most hated pro athletes in America now. He and Cavendishy would get along famously. Both wankers Damn. I can't wait for this drama to end. The end result will be : Cavendishy to Sky. Highroad folds. Renshaw and Bernie to Sky. Ok, now all you brits can go back to fawning over your "royal family" LOL.