STAGE 19 SPOILER - let the culling continue

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    Do Cunego and Basso get on?

We saw Berty and Samu working together

I recon those two (C/B) might go for it...

Basso will want to overhaul Cunego, so I can't see him working with him though.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Basso crank it up today and try and get a stage or something.

If he can ;)

I think he needs to, hardly been a stellar season for Basso has it. Personally i don't think he has the legs, but would like to be proved wrong if it gives an proper attack fest!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Basso crank it up today and try and get a stage or something.

I think andy and frank are the only ones capable of attacking

basso could try to ride people off the group but needs a extra 100km in the stage....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:

I think andy and frank are the only ones capable of attacking

basso could try to ride people off the group but needs a extra 100km in the stage....

Oui
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    From Millar's Twitter feed:

I think I'm dying. Wouldn't get off my sofa (if I could make it there from bed) in this state. Poorly bunny rabbit. http://youtu.be/VbmbMSrsZVQ

Sounds like he has a rough day ahead!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    One thing's for sure, the boys will be warming up on their rollers before this stage............it will be a bunfight from the gun..........14km of gentle downhill before 34km of climbing.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    rebs wrote:
    Who was the last person to win the green jersery without winning a stage? Will be interesting to see Cav can get up the mountains together. It makes sense for Moviestar to burn up riders who may not make it within the cut today.

Not like Rojas needs a leadout train to finish 6th after all. It's a shame but I can see Cav losing the green jersey today.

King Kelly won the green jersey in 1983, 1984 and 1989 without winning a stage. He won in 1989 by finishing outside the top 20 on only 3 or 4 stages, IIRC. And I think that's how the points jersey should be won, by consistency. That being said, I'm quite happy for Cav to win it.... :lol:
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Road Ace
    Road Ace Posts: 16
    Frank to attack early on the Alp and take the stage. Cadel to chase and Andy to attack him in last km gaining another 20 - 25 seconds. Tommy to lose the yellow jersey today.

or

After spending a quiet evening with a steak dinner, reflecting on the humiliation dished out on the slopes of the Galiber by last years little buddy Andy, Contador attacks with Sanchez. Frank or Andy latch on and get a tow to the finish. Cadel works his socks off chasing them all day and loses another minute! Contador works over his new buddy Sanchez for the stage win.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Both schlecks and Evans to crack to crack on the Gallibier, Tommy, Contador, Sanchez to dance away gaining 40 minutes into Huez, Tommy to get dropped on the climb, Contador to Write a massive cheque to Sanchez 1km from the summit, Contador wins overall, Schlecks Finish 30 minutes off the back, Evans arrested for violent conduct after smashing the sh*t out of a cameraman, knowing his tour is over. Contador pedals round the TT like he's on a rest day ride, and beats both Schlecks for the overall by 29 minutes.

You been having nightmares again? or back on prescriptions? :D
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Has anyone seen or heard from Frenchfighter?

It's been over 24 hours since he last posted anything on BR. Should we check the hospitals?

Serious question. I missed him yesterday.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Alan A wrote:

It's been over 24 hours since he last posted anything on BR. Should we check the hospitals?

+1 I took all the stick on my own yesterday, Me thinks Frenchie has died of shame, or died of slashed wrists, one or the other.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    If AC is feeling better, he might as well go on the attack, which could spice things up a bit. Was disappointed that he wasn't on form (feeling 'super') yesterday
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Alan A wrote:

+1 I took all the stick on my own yesterday, Me thinks Frenchie has died of shame, or died of slashed wrists, one or the other.

He did set himself up for an enormous fall. He'll probably resurface if the Schlecks miss out on yellow or next week sometime and act as if the Tour never happened.
  • RowCycle
    Alan A wrote:

He did set himself up for an enormous fall. He'll probably resurface if the Schlecks miss out on yellow or next week sometime and act as if the Tour never happened.

I think FF was let down a bit by AC. Based on the performances after the rest day it looked like AC would go on the attack, but AC obviously struggled and did what he could to survive.
  • I read these forums for a few months before I joined and am utterly astonished that you guys seem to not know what a troll is.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Is it you?! :wink:

FF isn't a troll, he's a fanboy. Most thought he was a troll when he first turned up, but now he's generally regarded with vague fondness as a local eccentric who likes to post pictures of sweaty men in lycra.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    We know what a troll is.

File under P_Tucker or Conyoremade (or whatver the hell his name is).
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    I think today could be an anti climax after the efforts of yesterday but am looking forward to it all the same.

Today is my last TV stage before heading down to Paris. Anyone else going to the Champs?
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • AidanR wrote:

FF isn't a troll, he's a fanboy. Most thought he was a troll when he first turned up, but now he's generally regarded with vague fondness as a local eccentric who likes to post pictures of sweaty men in lycra.

Ha well I am a Contador fan and have certainly done my share of trolling but no it isn't :) I'm just saying that I've never known someone who visits a forum that much and continually posts controversial opinions not to be a troll. It seems he's a Contador fan who just knows he can get a rise of a lot of people.

P.S I;ve seen some of his pics and rated them. Anyone complaining about men in lycra might need to learn to accept themselves.
  • AidanR wrote:

+1

Very excited about todays stage. I want to go out and ride but I also want to stay in and watch it!

I really want to see what Frank gets upto, despite Andys antics yesterday I still think he is the stronger of the two brothers. It's going to get real nasty today, hopefully the Schleck brothers will come out top.

Contador fading yesterday was a good moment for cycling, unless anyone really wants to see a repeat of the Floyd Landis saga.

Anyone else finding Pierre Rolland outrageous? Much gnashing of teeth here. Feels like Europcar brought a whole herd in Spain.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    P.S I;ve seen some of his pics and rated them. Anyone complaining about men in lycra might need to learn to accept themselves.

Ha! Yes, the pics he posts are very good. Are you trying to bait me, good sir? :wink:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    AidanR wrote:

Ha well I am a Contador fan and have certainly done my share of trolling but no it isn't :) I'm just saying that I've never known someone who visits a forum that much and continually posts controversial opinions not to be a troll. It seems he's a Contador fan who just knows he can get a rise of a lot of people.

Trolls tend to plug on regardless, his abscence suggests he's a genuine fan. It's all bit of a mystery to me anyhow, I watch a lot of sport, too much probably, but have never bought into the idea of supporting a team or a player to any real extreme...seems so irrational to me. Why get so worked up about something you've no control over and ulitmately doesn't affect your life directly?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    I think FF is great. He's not a troll, he's something much more cuddly than that.

53318beretjpg.jpg

God does this stage really not start for another hour!!! I'll have finished the dishes and hung the washing out at this rate.
  • AidanR wrote:

Ha! Yes, the pics he posts are very good. Are you trying to bait me, good sir? :wink:

Ha no I'm sure you're 100% straight and I'm fine with that :)

[/quote]
  • AidanR wrote:

Trolls tend to plug on regardless, his abscence suggests he's a genuine fan. It's all bit of a mystery to me anyhow, I watch a lot of sport, too much probably, but have never bought into the idea of supporting a team or a player to any real extreme...seems so irrational to me. Why get so worked up about something you've no control over and ulitmately doesn't affect your life directly?

Surely he's kept posting through bad Contador results before? He kept posting after his test reults so...

With regard to fandom, I agree with you 100%, though that tends to be greeted with odd looks from most.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Anyone else finding Pierre Rolland outrageous? Much gnashing of teeth here. Feels like Europcar brought a whole herd in Spain.
    Juiced? What are you basing your suspicion on?

Cyclisme a un vitesse? TM
  • RowCycle
    Is steak the new 'cyclist choice' meal over a bowl of pasta? :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011

Not really, he's long been seen as a big climbing talent. He was top ten in the Dauphine last year (despite losing four minutes in the TT). He was 21st in the 2009 Tour aged 22 (again, losing twelve minutes in the various TTs).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    He was KOM in the 2008 Dauphine Libere.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    knedlicky wrote:

Also would Voeckler really have such a close team mate that was on the sauce? (I consider Voeckler to be clean)
  • knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not really, he's long been seen as a big climbing talent. He was top ten in the Dauphine last year (despite losing four minutes in the TT). He was 21st in the 2009 Tour aged 22 (again, losing twelve minutes in the various TTs).
    Bronzie wrote:
    Juiced? What are you basing your suspicion on?

Cyclisme a un vitesse? TM

Oh okay, I never realised that. I just saw a random French domestique suddenly cycling with the leaders and the amazingly, surprisingly revitalised Voelecker. One of them I could shrug it off, I like Vino and the Schlecks after all but I thought a domestique keeping with the leaders was a bit of a pisstake.....

...However it appears it was my ignorance talking. Had no idea he had such a good track record. Makes me feel better about voelecker now :)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome