Stage 16 *spoiler*

12345679»

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    A good tweet.

dnlbenson Perhaps to understand A Schleck's post-race reaction you need to remember what happened to his teammate at the Giro #tdf

I doubt any of the pro peloton will ever forget what happened to Weylandt, but that doesn't stop them from racing. Would Cancellara have baulked at that descent if he'd been at the front of the race? Jens Voigt crashed twice on the descent the other day but didn't complain about the route.

+1 Im sure Cadel, Thor et al were just as upset when WW lost his life, but has it stopped Thor cracking 112kmph, did the 40 odd riders who finished ahead of Schleck complain? Did cadel shit his pants, get off his bike and walk to the finish? Not to forget the fact that Bert had already taken 30 seconds on Schleck before he and cadel even hit the descent.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pretty much most of my feelings have been summed up already.

Absolutely no point bitching about the route. Two fundamental issues.

1). The TT's have been whittled almost completely out of the race which suits him.
    2) How long has the route been announced? Months and months.

So what, you lost a minute where you are weak, never mind, the whole point is to limit your losses and use your strengths to your advantage. I know, you're a good climber, why not attack on the climbs? And no 50 metres is not an attack, it's just testing others legs.

The three GC riders who rode away today look like a good bet for the podium. The big question is, in what order?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I was in a big group descent of something far less steep at the weekend (on the Armstrong twitter ride) in torrential rain. Doing 30+ mph on that route would have been no problem in the dry, but in heavy rain it's a whole different ball game and was very scary. He who takes the most chances wins, but one day the odds will catch up with you in a very painful way. Even Jens Voigt came off twice the other day whilst descending.

Hopefully tomorrow will see some decent attacks on the climbs, but hopefully no crashes on the way down.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Jens Voigt always crashes going downhill in the TDF, it's a Tour tradition nowadays
  • afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    A good tweet.

dnlbenson Perhaps to understand A Schleck's post-race reaction you need to remember what happened to his teammate at the Giro #tdf

I doubt any of the pro peloton will ever forget what happened to Weylandt, but that doesn't stop them from racing. Would Cancellara have baulked at that descent if he'd been at the front of the race? Jens Voigt crashed twice on the descent the other day but didn't complain about the route.

+1 Im sure Cadel, Thor et al were just as upset when WW lost his life, but has it stopped Thor cracking 112kmph, did the 40 odd riders who finished ahead of Schleck complain? Did cadel shoot his pants, get off his bike and walk to the finish? Not to forget the fact that Bert had already taken 30 seconds on Schleck before he and cadel even hit the descent.

+ the above. The Isle of Man TT has claimed many lives over the years, but the riders know the risks and it doesn't stop them riding 100%.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah, dynamite on a 2nd cat.

Shows what the weather can do.

Boogerd was saying how when he rode the Giro-Tour double, he was always rubbish till the 3rd week. Something to do with the no racing between the two races (he did it the year he won at La Plange for example).

Enjoyed that a lot.

Schlecks really do hate the rain eh?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    A good tweet.
    Weylandt’s crash hadn’t to do with the ‘technical ‘ difficulties of a descent. Nor Voigt’s the other year.

From Voigt’s recent crashes and the crashes of several others on bends, I wonder if they are more due to the bike frames some ride, affecting where their centre of gravity lies. Or due to inexperience.
    I'd say, for instance, these aspects applied to Thomas' first problems and to the French guy who crashed today when at the front.

I don’t tow the line that the road surface - wet or new or heat-melted - is the main cause of crashes.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    A good tweet.

The Isle of Man TT has claimed many lives over the years, but the riders know the risks and it doesn't stop them riding 100%.

hmm, perhaps Cavendishy should do that TT
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    morstar wrote:

1). The TT's have been whittled almost completely out of the race which suits him.

So what, you lost a minute where you are weak, never mind, the whole point is to limit your losses and use your strengths to your advantage. I know, you're a good climber, why not attack on the climbs? And no 50 metres is not an attack, it's just testing others legs.

The three GC riders who rode away today look like a good bet for the podium. The big question is, in what order?

Indeed. The Schleck sisters have been utterly useless this year

- Crashed in stage 1, finished with Contador but gained time on him because of 3km rule
    - Sat on the whole way round the ttt
    - Waste the Pyrenees doing next to nothing despite Contador visibly struggling
    - Can't get down a little hill in the wet

But think they deserve to win the Tour de France. Numpties.

Having said that, after the Floyd Landis debacle can cycling really afford to have someone as ugly as Evans on the top step of the podium in Paris? I think not. For this reason, Contador is the only acceptable winner. Oh, and Voeckler, but methinks he'll crack under Contadors amazing post-rest day attacking.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    P_Tucker wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Indeed. The Schleck sisters have been utterly useless this year

- Crashed in stage 1, finished with Contador but gained time on him because of 3km rule
    - Sat on the whole way round the ttt
    - Waste the Pyrenees doing next to nothing despite Contador visibly struggling
    - Can't get down a little hill in the wet

But think they deserve to win the Tour de France. Numpties.

Having said that, after the Floyd Landis debacle can cycling really afford to have someone as ugly as Evans on the top step of the podium in Paris? I think not. For this reason, Contador is the only acceptable winner. Oh, and Voeckler, but methinks he'll crack under Contadors amazing post-rest day attacking.

Are you serious? A troll? Or just stupid?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Andy Schleck - totally gone down in my estimation - like a Panto Dame complaing someone else stole their limelight - it is his to grasp

Go wee Tommy!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    ...and gravity.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Yep, cos it never rains in luxemberg!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Everyone seems surprised and disappointed with Andy Schleck, his performance and his after –the-race statements, but already on the rest day, he had complained about the descent into Gap. So although disappointment might be valid, it was no surprise he took no risks on the descent and later said what he did about the descent.

It was similarly no surprise that he was attacked just before the descent, because his rivals will have heard what he said on the rest day and knew he’d exposed a weakness.

Although Contador initiated the decisive attack, from what BMC said after the stage, it was definitely their plan to attack in the hope of Evans gaining time on the Schlecks and Basso.
    The above explains why they thought the Schlecks susceptible but why they (correctly) believed Basso might have an off-day, they didn’t explain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yep, cos it never rains in luxemberg!

I meant more in terms of performance. I've never seen him ride well even uphill in the rain.

S'abit like Ullrich.

Some riders just don't like it when it's cold and wet.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    hmm, perhaps Cavendishy should do that TT

I'd rather you did it. Without a crash helmet. Or leathers.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    knedlicky wrote:
    The above explains why [BMC] thought the Schlecks susceptible but why they (correctly) believed Basso might have an off-day, they didn’t explain.
    Does Basso have a track record of post-rest day off-days?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Anyone know what the latest with the weather is? Will the Galib stages happen?
    exercise.png
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    Graeme_S wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    The above explains why [BMC] thought the Schlecks susceptible but why they (correctly) believed Basso might have an off-day, they didn’t explain.
    Does Basso have a track record of post-rest day off-days?
    might be more to.do with Basso's known inability to descend. This is more so in poor conditions
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    TheStone wrote:
    Anyone know what the latest with the weather is? Will the Galib stages happen?

Looks a bit chilly up there still http://pv.viewsurf.com/?id=74
  • frenchfighter
    I think you guys are being harsh on Andy tbh.

There were other riders like him. Maybe they also had the same views as him but didnt air them as they were not asked.

Ok he isnt the best descender but there are others who arent good climbers.

He is no Contador, performance or attitude wise, but not many people are. Evans has always been a rider to admire size - every year my admiration increases.

Here's a thought. If Vino would have been there, what would he have done! His win into Gap last year was one of the best moments of the Tour. His descending is unreal.

Remember Giro last year and that descent with Vino, Evans, Nibs and Arroyo...WOW.

giro10st22-cadel.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    There were other riders like him. Maybe they also had the same views as him but didnt air them as they were not asked.

Ok he isnt the best descender but there are others who arent good climbers.]

Being fair, you'd tell sprinters to get stuffed if they complained like little girls about having to climb the Zoncolan or any other behemoth.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Luckao wrote:
    Being fair, you'd tell sprinters to get stuffed if they complained like little girls about having to climb the Zoncolan or any other behemoth.

To me Andy's moan sounded like the equivalent of Cavendish complaining that he could win the Tour if they'd just get rid of all the mountains.
  • frenchfighter
    1hr40mins footage from yday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJs-nnMydo

backted.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Harmon was saying something similar. There really is such a thing as being too attentive. Surely they can marshal Contador without getting neck strain. Andy in particular must still have flashbacks to Verbier.