Stage 16 *spoiler*

Comments

• andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I think the other favourites would be silly not to try and put AS under pressure on the summit/descent again tomorrow. If he can fire on all cylinders he could still put serious time into Evans and Voeckler in the Alps.

Descent is approx 45km's from the top at Sestirere, so i'd expect attacks about 5km's from the top of that from anyone who can descend
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    andyjr wrote:
    WTF is Cav doing in 43rd?! Impressed as there's no other HTC riders within 3 minutes of him.

Really looking forward to the next 3 stages now.

Must've been hanging on to some fast cars!
    Mañana
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    andyjr wrote:
    WTF is Cav doing in 43rd?! Impressed as there's no other HTC riders within 3 minutes of him.

Really looking forward to the next 3 stages now.

He's always said that he's actually not a bad climber, just that he saves his legs on the mountain stages so he can still sprint by the end of the tour.

I imagine his power to weight even over a long climb is rather good. Perhaps he was hoping he could be fairly high up so as not to concede too many points to Rojas/Gilbert - although I guess he was well out of the running with 43rd..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Rojas and Gilbert scored some points over Cav though...

Only 3 and 2. A win for Cav, really

The time difference between Evans and Schleck Jr was only a couple of seconds more than the difference between Schelck Jr and Cav.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Cav nearly got Basso there ..

:wink::wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    lost 3 to rojas & 2 to gilbert, think he'll be pleased enough with that
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    yes, I agree its not a big amount of points but that hasn't got anything to do with his 43rd placing today. Its to do with Rojas and Gilbert not doing better.

Tomorrow IMO is the last day Rojas and Gilbert have a chance of putting some points on Cav.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,409
    edited July 2011
    A Scklek just been whinging - done himself no favours at all today claiming the descent was too dangerous :roll: .
  • seven7faces
    seven7faces Posts: 360
    ok, andy's now the most annoying rider in the race. Time to put up or shut up
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    A Scklek just been whinging - done himself no favours at all today.

yeah caught that

This is not racing - in effect

wtf :roll:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    afx237vi wrote:
    Contador to try again tomorrow?

PROFIL.gif

Interesting stage with a cat 2 and then a descent to the finish again- although you'd possibly expect the break to be mopped up en route to the finish tomorrow.

Probably not what the Schlecks would have wanted to see after their debacle today.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    gabriel959 wrote:
    yes, I agree its not a big amount of points but that hasn't got anything to do with his 43rd placing today. Its to do with Rojas and Gilbert not doing better.

Tomorrow IMO is the last day Rojas and Gilbert have a chance of putting some points on Cav.
    The Bourg d'Oisans intermediate on Friday is a possibility the way both are climbing, but to be honest I do think they needed more points today to have a realistic chance
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    josame wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    A Scklek just been whinging - done himself no favours at all today.

yeah caught that

This is not racing - in effect

wtf :roll:

Has anyone put it to him that the 40 odd riders in front of him seemed to have no problem racing in it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    well, they also have tomorrow and thursday... but I reckon cav will get points on those too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Probably not what the Schlecks would have wanted to see after their debacle today.

Thats harsh on Frank, he did an OK ride today and didn't lose much time. Andy on the other hand, oh dear :oops:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's funny but before the Tour I absolutely hated the fact that Contador was riding and I wanted Schleck to win it. But now I can't stand his riding style or his pathetic attitude, and I'd actually rather see Contador win it than Schleck.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    @Milton

I know what you mean... As much as I don't think he should be in the race, at least he's taking it on (after 2 weeks).
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, Knee looking good Alberto? Hope you are firing on all cylinders in the coming days.

Getty
    0710f68414456c1b217a4439bd14c220-getty-_.jpg
    a1bc0d5a388b45bc8d2e7752aae732b3-getty-_.jpg
    1631128e26c1232967c4ef3d519f0891-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Maybe Andy can get those wing mirrors now for his handlebars - There is a few long straight bits on the Galibier if he can attack :D

Dumb & Dumber comes to mind for the shreks
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Milton50 wrote:
    It's funny but before the Tour I absolutely hated the fact that Contador was riding and I wanted Schleck to win it. But now I can't stand his riding style or his pathetic attitude, and I'd actually rather see Contador win it than Schleck.

+1

However I really want Cuddles to do it.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It's worth noting that while Evans and Contador were attacking, it was Cancellara who was helping the Schlecks limit their loses, they didn't seem able to do much themselves.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    If cuddles does win. Do you think he will retire?

It would be nice to go out on a real high. He is older than most but still seems to be riding well. However a career has to stop at some point, and finally winning the tour would be the pinnacle of his (very very good) career. What do you go for afterwards? he's already been world champ. Maybe have a pop at the hour record 9but i don't think he will get it as he is a good GC alrounder, not a TTer).
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    @Milton

I know what you mean... As much as I don't think he should be in the race, at least he's taking it on (after 2 weeks).

Similar view point here, nice to see him mixing it up even if he is tainted. at least it triggered some viewing pleasure and confirmed a thing or two about the quality of A shrek. Thought Cadel was great today
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    GC after stage 16

1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 69:00:56
    2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:45
    3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:49
    4 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:03:03
    5 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:03:26
    6 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:03:42
    7 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:03:49
    8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:04:01
    9 Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:06:04
    10 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling 0:07:55

39s between AS and AC ...

:lol:
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    THOR - GARMIN!
    Hats off to both for a fantastic day!

What can't Thor do?

World Champion...check; Green Jersey...Check; Sprint...check; Climb...check; Time Trial...check; cobbles...check; make Mark Cavendish look like a punk...check.

Can't wait to see Cavendishy move to Sky so he will stop being an embarrassment to a US team, and become a british problem instead.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    What can't Thor do?

Win a monument.
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    Can't wait to see Cavendishy move to Sky so he will stop being an embarrassment to a US team, and become a british problem instead.

Yeah only four stage wins so far. What an embarrassment :roll:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    THOR - GARMIN!
    Hats off to both for a fantastic day!

What can't Thor do?

World Champion...check; Green Jersey...Check; Sprint...check; Climb...check; Time Trial...check; cobbles...check; make Mark Cavendish look like a punk...check.

Seriously fella, you need the intervention of mental health professionals.....
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    A Scklek just been whinging - done himself no favours at all today claiming the descent was too dangerous :roll: .

What about the ascent? Too wet?

He should have sent Canc to the front to neutralise the stage.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    What can't Thor do?
    Sprint like Cav !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?