TDF 2011 - Stage 11 Spoiler

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    1) I've got my 108 t-shirt - got it a week ago.

2) Greipel is a v good sprinter.

3) Cav is unstoppable when he kicks "properly"

4) Sky have been doing a good job as his train

5) Enjoyed it a LOT so far, but expecting to enjoy it even more now we're in the mountains. Apart from all the injuries, has been a really good tour for me so far.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The sprints and small hill finishes have been great. The total rubbish from the crashes etc is what is most annoying.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2011
    Ben6899 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    thank God the mountains are here from tomorrow... Was getting really bored with all these stages... 11 days is enough
    I think you've been watching another race!

I don't know, granted a couple of hilly finishes have livened it up but we're over halfway into a 3 week race and only about to find out who's got it and who hasn't. It's taken too long imo.

To have any hopes of finishing in Yellow, you have to "survive" these opening stages. We have found out that Wiggins and van den Broeck won't be in Yellow on the Champs Elysées.

Plus, Contador has taken a few heavy knocks which could affect his ambitions.

QED it hasn't taken too long.

Opening stages makes it sound like a gentle prelude but its more than half, 11 stages of 21, watching the top contenders pretty much just trying to avoid accidents. Yes, keeping upright is part of bike racing but it's not really what we watch if for is it?

The Tour de France's origins are based on an attrition and last man standing ethos. These flat stages are all a part of that battle to stay alive and in touch. I concede my use of "opening" was a bad choice.

There are three types of cyclist roughly speaking: Contadors, Gilberts and Cavendishes.

The arrangement of stage profiles offer something to each rider and promote differing team and peloton dynamics. It's all part of the fun/entertainment/suffering.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Excellent photos FF!
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    The sprints and small hill finishes have been great. The total rubbish from the crashes etc is what is most annoying.

Too right. Really feel for Vino - a very nasty break. Shame he's out too.
    Mens agitat molem
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I don't care what the moaners say, I've really enjoyed it so far. It's not like we've had 11 days of bunch sprints, there's bee a bit of everything. I am looking forward to the mountains though...lets hope that the GC contenders keep up the excitement.

I'm also delighted to see Cav in green, you could see how much it means to him. Hopefully the green jersey battle will continue as it has been.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,585
    I think delaying the mountains is a good thing. You get riders like Hushovd wearing yellow and desperately trying to keep it.

If the mountains are really early then you get a bunch of flat stages in the middle where there is no action for the yellow jersey. You also are more than likely to find out who is going to win at a very early stage. Alternatively, you could have an uphill finish every stage like this year's Giro and get the same result every day - dull. Variety is the best idea.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I just realised that I forgot to put in a PTP pick for today (of all days). Why didn't the rest of you 'wait' for me and not pick yourselves? I declare that you are all without honour and whoever wins, it will be by default.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Markwb79 wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I am particularly amused at the feed on Cycling News

16:02:46 BST
    Cavendish stopped to watch the sprint replay on television and could see how he beat Andre Greipel and Tyler Farrar.

Almost like he was trying to prove a point... Can't wait to watch the highlights later and the post race interview :D

I thought he was looking to see where the others finished.
    He was - he was doing the green jersey maths before the commentators (on french TV at least, a rare slip) realised there was maths to be done.
    The interviewer on British Eurosport told him he had taken the green jersey and he reacted as if he didn't already know.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    RichN95 wrote:
    I just realised that I forgot to put in a PTP pick for today (of all days). Why didn't the rest of you 'wait' for me and not pick yourselves? I declare that you are all without honour and whoever wins, it will be by default.

depends whether this counts as a mechanical or a dodgy gear change.....
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Gracious in Defeat!

4b5c85241dd8aadc330cee5a04bcd321-getty-118968724.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Doobz wrote:
    Gracious in Defeat!

4b5c85241dd8aadc330cee5a04bcd321-getty-118968724.jpg
    cheap trick, posting yesterday's photos in today's thread :wink:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    With the middle points. I'm supraised HTC arn't being more aggressive with sending Goss and Renshaw to try to contest the points to knock points off Gilbert.

Same with the points in the mountains. Using Tejay, Velits and Martins to knock points off Gilbert. I might be missing something so likely I'm just sounding like an idiot?
  • Ben6899
    Renshaw took some intermediate sprint points yesterday. It didn't go down well.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    thank God the mountains are here from tomorrow... Was getting really bored with all these stages... 11 days is enough
    I think you've been watching another race!

I don't know, granted a couple of hilly finishes have livened it up but we're over halfway into a 3 week race and only about to find out who's got it and who hasn't. It's taken too long imo.

To have any hopes of finishing in Yellow, you have to "survive" these opening stages. We have found out that Wiggins and van den Broeck won't be in Yellow on the Champs Elysées.

Plus, Contador has taken a few heavy knocks which could affect his ambitions.

QED it hasn't taken too long.

Opening stages makes it sound like a gentle prelude but its more than half, 11 stages of 21, watching the top contenders pretty much just trying to avoid accidents. Yes, keeping upright is part of bike racing but it's not really what we watch if for is it?

The Tour de France's origins are based on an attrition and last man standing ethos. These flat stages are all a part of that battle to stay alive and in touch. I concede my use of "opening" was a bad choice.

There are three types of cyclist roughly speaking: Contadors, Gilberts and Cavendishes.

The arrangement of stage profiles offer something to each rider and promote differing team and peloton dynamics. It's all part of the fun/entertainment/suffering.

oh I appreciate all the different facets of racing and a TTT is the only kind of stage I haven't been to watch so far but I just think setting the race up like it is could backfire if there are no racing 'incidents', you could end up with nearly two thirds of the race gone, all the main contenders still together and no-one any wiser as to who's good and who isn't.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Renshaw took some intermediate sprint points yesterday. It didn't go down well.

With who?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    If Cav stays upright and gets over the hills he's looking really good for green.

Rojas simply doesn't have the speed to beat him in the two properly flat sprint stages remaining, nor is he much of a climber. Same with Greipel.

Gilbert will get very little in those two ourt-and-out sprint stages and realistically his only chance of a stage winner's haul with Cav getting nish is St 16 to Gap. Even if he goes full gas for the intermediates there aren't *that* many where his superior climbing power will give him a critical advantage - many of the upcoming intermediates are before the big climbs...

I'd be so pleased for Cav if he finally wears the Maillot Vert in Paris!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • RichN95.

oh I appreciate all the different facets of racing and a TTT is the only kind of stage I haven't been to watch so far but I just think setting the race up like it is could backfire if there are no racing 'incidents', you could end up with nearly two thirds of the race gone, all the main contenders still together and no-one any wiser as to who's good and who isn't.

Similarly, with mountains early, the race can be all but over with a week to go (see this year's Giro). Such is the lot of the course designer - they can't tell what's going to happen, just vaguely guess.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    RichN95 wrote:

Similarly, with mountains early, the race can be all but over with a week to go (see this year's Giro). Such is the lot of the course designer - they can't tell what's going to happen, just vaguely guess.

True, I wouldn't want the job in all fairness.
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    11be84e067ddfe0ada1bd918c5c65bb0-getty-118971406.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Love these photos
    Getty
    5b37c35c45a7848c654c4c525fe43018-getty-_.jpg
    f29f052a50c8d0ab04da72dcec9c8a7b-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Getty

Ouch !! I might order that T-Shirt.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    greeny12 wrote:
    I

Rojas simply doesn't have the speed to beat him in the two properly flat sprint stages remaining, nor is he much of a climber. Same with Greipel.
    !

rojas got over the tourmalet to contest the sprint in 2009 came 2nd or third IIRC

similar stage this year over the Aubisque
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ben6899
    verylonglegs Nice one, we're on the same wavelength.

The Mad Rapper I don't recall, possibly Rojas.
    Ben

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Getty

He's asking for an infection, riding in the wet.
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    JonGinge wrote:
    Did you see the interview just now where Cav said he told Griepel that he'd done the perfect sprint?
    Today was another example of who really should get the praise, and if it were possible, glory for the perfect sprint - not Cavendish but Renshaw.

I don't remember any of the other recent successful Points winners (Zabel, Kelly, Abdu, Hushovd, Jalabert, Boonen, Freire) being quite so dependent on their last lead-out (before Renshaw, Ciolek) even if Cavendish might infrequently prove he can do it without a last lead-out.

I hope Cavendish also thanked Lars Ytting Bak (how do you pronounce his middle name?) for riding about 110 miles at the front to help the HTC cause.
    I just hope they haven't worn out Tony Martin in the GC for the sake of Cavendish.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Tony Martin and GC are two words that I thought would never be seen together but I did see Cancellara and GC together once or twice but that was a few years ago now, don't think I'll see that again.
    Cancellara being Tour de France winner :lol:
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    knedlicky wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Did you see the interview just now where Cav said he told Griepel that he'd done the perfect sprint?
    Today was another example of who really should get the praise, and if it were possible, glory for the perfect sprint - not Cavendish but Renshaw.

I don't remember any of the other recent successful Points winners (Zabel, Kelly, Abdu, Hushovd, Jalabert, Boonen, Freire) being quite so dependent on their last lead-out (before Renshaw, Ciolek) even if Cavendish might infrequently prove he can do it without a last lead-out.

I hope Cavendish also thanked Lars Ytting Bak (how do you pronounce his middle name?) for riding about 110 miles at the front to help the HTC cause.
    I just hope they haven't worn out Tony Martin in the GC for the sake of Cavendish.

He may only infrequently prove he can do it without a last lead out man but on the occassions he has to (e.g. tail end of last years Tour) he still does it. The problem he has without Renshaw is that the other sprinters will ride to stop Cav winning, Renshaw's biggest asset is the way he protects Cav more than the actual lead out.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:

But he's won without Renshaw several times. Stage 5 this year, stage 19 in 2009, two stages in 2010. Several of those names had lead-outs, you just didn't notice them, because they didn't win as many stages.

Part of his success is down to getting his team to work for him and believe in him. I've seen more than one rider (from other teams) say he's an exceptionally good team leader.