Cav in green methinks.
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    edited July 2011
    No Rojas or Gilbert in the top 10.

Oops Rojas 7th but Cav still takes Green
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    thank God the mountains are here from tomorrow... Was getting really bored with all these stages... 11 days is enough
    www.dotcycling.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Very convincing win. Greipel left for dead. Speed is king.
    Cav into green!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    emadden wrote:
    thank God the mountains are here from tomorrow... Was getting really bored with all these stages... 11 days is enough

+1

Cav and Greipel are the only two with any acceleration when they kick. The rest look they're standing still.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    The Thomas-Renshaw-Cav sprint unit looked quite an impressive team there. :D
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Brilliant riding by Eisel and Renshaw.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    emadden wrote:
    I think you've been watching another race!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    RichN95 wrote:

Nice bit of testing the waters for the new season :lol:
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Get in! Cav in green!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    emadden wrote:

I don't know, granted a couple of hilly finishes have livened it up but we're over halfway into a 3 week race and only about to find out who's got it and who hasn't. It's taken too long imo.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    RichN95 wrote:

Nice bit of testing the waters for the new season :lol:
    Simon Gerrans did some practice in the 8k to go berth as well.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I am particularly amused at the feed on Cycling News

16:02:46 BST
    Cavendish stopped to watch the sprint replay on television and could see how he beat Andre Greipel and Tyler Farrar.

Almost like he was trying to prove a point... Can't wait to watch the highlights later and the post race interview :D
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    emadden wrote:

Coming towards the end of the second week, and GC spread across the top ten contenders (leaving aside Voeckler) is 30 seconds... yes some of the stages had good action, but only at the backend... The mountains couldve come sooner

Since the 2 rest day regime was introduced it has been rare to have rest days followed by sprint stages... IIRC in the rare cases where that has happened in the past, the first rest day came after the first mountains.... There may be one or two exceptions, but as was pointed out elsewhere today loading all the climbs at the back end of the race could mean that a real exciting GC battle may not materialise
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    emadden wrote:

I don't know, granted a couple of hilly finishes have livened it up but we're over halfway into a 3 week race and only about to find out who's got it and who hasn't. It's taken too long imo.

To have any hopes of finishing in Yellow, you have to "survive" these opening stages. We have found out that Wiggins and van den Broeck won't be in Yellow on the Champs Elysées.

Plus, Contador has taken a few heavy knocks which could affect his ambitions.

QED it hasn't taken too long.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    brettjmcc wrote:

Cavendish stopped to watch the sprint replay on television and could see how he beat Andre Greipel and Tyler Farrar.

Almost like he was trying to prove a point... Can't wait to watch the highlights later and the post race interview :D

I thought he was looking to see where the others finished.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Isn't the problem the geography of France? The big mountains are clustered in two places, so it's not easy to dip in and out, you have to visit them for a number of days, so at some point you're going to have a run of flat or lumpy stages with no big stuff. I agree it feels like a long wait this year. But now we have it all to come, I'm really enjoying it.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    If Farrar or Greipel had no class this is what they would probably say in the post race interview:

"I'm disappointed. I feel I made a mistake, but Cavendish beat me so there's nothing I can say about that." "I went early but failed to commit fully, kicked with 170m to go and Cavendish just came past and beat me."

glad to see the mountains here now. Expect to see Cavendish having alot of seat adjustments and other mechanical issues on the way up so he can hang off the team car.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited July 2011
    Did you see the interview just now where Cav said he told Griepel that he'd done the perfect sprint?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If Farrar or Greipel had no class this is what they would probably say in the post race interview:

"I'm disappointed. I feel I made a mistake, but Cavendish beat me so there's nothing I can say about that." "I went early but failed to commit fully, kicked with 170m to go and Cavendish just came past and beat me."

glad to see the mountains here now. Expect to see Cavendish having alot of seat adjustments and other mechanical issues on the way up so he can hang off the team car.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

More medication for this patient please nurse.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Mentally. Ill.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    JonGinge wrote:
    Did you see the interview just now where he said he told Griepel that he'd done the perfect sprint?

yeah...no class! :roll:

cornoyemade - seriously, you have mental health issues.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

*sigh*
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Well done Mark! :D:):):D

I had no doubt that he'd destroy everyone today. Now he just has to hold on to the jersey.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Just ignore those random, pointless posts...
    Mens agitat molem
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Brilliant riding by Eisel and Renshaw.

A bit lucky Garmin showed up in the final 2 kms or else they'd have run out of gas.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Ben6899 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

To have any hopes of finishing in Yellow, you have to "survive" these opening stages. We have found out that Wiggins and van den Broeck won't be in Yellow on the Champs Elysées.

Plus, Contador has taken a few heavy knocks which could affect his ambitions.

QED it hasn't taken too long.

Opening stages makes it sound like a gentle prelude but its more than half, 11 stages of 21, watching the top contenders pretty much just trying to avoid accidents. Yes, keeping upright is part of bike racing but it's not really what we watch if for is it?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Markwb79 wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:

I thought he was looking to see where the others finished.
    He was - he was doing the green jersey maths before the commentators (on french TV at least, a rare slip) realised there was maths to be done.
  • so the TdF is only worth watching for the GC?

Personally, I've enjoyed some of the hillier bits that have given a different dimension to the racing. Having said that, It's taken too long to get to the high mountains.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getty
    3818d7b854fda4fb46f4c33fac0c5dd4-getty-_.jpg
    1f1eb9ba99cfd8b40348535ba48e46b7-getty-_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest