TDF 2011 - Stage 11 Spoiler

cogidubnus
cogidubnus Posts: 860
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Looks like Gadret isnt starting today

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Good. I felt a bit sorry for him falling out of the back at every opportunity. He could be very exciting if they look after him properly, and letting him ride the tour when clearly not up to the challenge was not looking after him properly.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cogidubnus wrote:

That's bad for Nico Roche, he won't be there to donate a wheel in the mountains....

Not surprised though, he's never really looked at the races from stage 1. None of the guys who raced hard at the Giro seem to have been able to cope with the pace...Gadret, Kreuziger, Kiryenkaa and errr Contador? Or is the last one just bluffing, we'll find out tomorrow!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cogidubnus wrote:

That's bad for Nico Roche, he won't be there to donate a wheel in the mountains....

Not surprised though, he's never really looked at the races from stage 1. None of the guys who raced hard at the Giro seem to have been able to cope with the pace...Gadret, Kreuziger, Kiryenkaa and errr Contador? Or is the last one just bluffing, we'll find out tomorrow!

Hoogerland was doing fine.
  • inkyfingers
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Hoogerland was doing fine.

He's in a class of his own though!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    264970_10100617869596271_10002820_60674245_7380339_n.jpg
    264293_10150240832733652_537128651_7497090_2078832_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    Nice kit and how good was it to see the yellow jersey attacking yesterday!
  • frenchfighter
    Imagine riding with that kit and bike. It defo makes you want to go faster.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    6 men up the road:

Ruben Perez
    Lars Boom
    Andriy Grivko
    Mickael Delage
    Tristin Valentine
    Jimmy Engoulvent
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Great photos Frenchie

Its a pity the paint job on the Colnago makes it look like a Mavic neutral support bike - wouldn't say no to the wheels though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nice bike. Pity about the rider.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Not convinced about that, I thought he just bridged a small gap then started flicking his elbow at everyone as if he was the authority, I found it quite amusing really.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

You old cynic you!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Cogidubnus wrote:

What a nonsense attack, it was about 20 metres. Apart from giving Harmon soggy pants it was as pointless and ill thought through, as are most Voeckler tactics. Still if you're the French darling the facts hardly matter.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

You old cynic you!

He winds me up. The only reason he got a name for himself was because the Hog / Armstrong decided it should be so, and he's held up as an example of exciting cycling. Pffft. If it wasn't for what he was given in 04, he'd just be another tactically inept Frenchman.

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You old cynic you!

He winds me up. The only reason he got a name for himself was because the Hog / Armstrong decided it should be so, and he's held up as an example of exciting cycling. Pffft. If it wasn't for what he was given in 04, he'd just be another tactically inept Frenchman.

:wink:

That's what he is. He's a punchier Jacky Durand, and that's no bad thing. He knows he's not got a prayer of keeping hold of that to Paris so he's just riding his normal race in a swankier jersey. He's playing to the gallery. If he can cry on his way up Luz Ardiden tomorrow, he'll be worth another few hundred thousand Euros in endorsements.

It isn't just in terms of doping that cycling resembles "sports entertainment".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    1. SOHRABI Mahdi TPT 12/10/1981 13
    2. GILBERT Philippe OLO 05/07/1982 13
    3. GUARDINI Andrea FAR 12/06/1989 9
    4. CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto SBS 06/12/1982 9
    5. SAGAN Peter LIQ 26/01/1990 8
    6. KITTEL Marcel SKS 11/05/1988 8
    7. FEILLU Romain VCD 16/04/1984 8
    8. VOECKLER Thomas EUC 22/06/1979 8
    9. DIAZ Dario Raul - 13/07/1981 8
    10. TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel - 10/11/1988 7
    11. GREIPEL Andre OLO 16/07/1982 6
    12. CAVENDISH Mark THR 21/05/1985 6

Wins this year. Voeckler for all his 'inept tactics' like you say is great to watch and gets results.

As an aside, really annoying a PT team wont pick up Teklehaimnot. Great potential in that fellow and he needs a break.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    1. SOHRABI Mahdi TPT 12/10/1981 13
    2. GILBERT Philippe OLO 05/07/1982 13
    3. GUARDINI Andrea FAR 12/06/1989 9
    4. CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto SBS 06/12/1982 9
    5. SAGAN Peter LIQ 26/01/1990 8
    6. KITTEL Marcel SKS 11/05/1988 8
    7. FEILLU Romain VCD 16/04/1984 8
    8. VOECKLER Thomas EUC 22/06/1979 8
    9. DIAZ Dario Raul - 13/07/1981 8
    10. TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel - 10/11/1988 7
    11. GREIPEL Andre OLO 16/07/1982 6
    12. CAVENDISH Mark THR 21/05/1985 6

Wins this year. Voeckler for all his 'inept tactics' like you say is great to watch and gets results.

As an aside, really annoying a PT team wont pick up Teklehaimnot. Great potential in that fellow and he needs a break.

He's only 8th on that list, lightweight.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229

I am as Hetro as they come but I would suck a cock for that bike, defo!!! :oops: :shock: :oops:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Weather looks well manky, more like November with all that mist & rain.
    Urtasun shows us how to do a wheel change, stop, take front wheel out, lay it on verge, mechanic slips new wheel in & off he goes.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    cristoff wrote:

I am as Hetro as they come but I would suck a fool for that bike, defo!!! :oops: :shock: :oops:

durty fooker
    www.dotcycling.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Voeckler & Feillu - 16 wins between them, only two of them outside France. French cycling in a nutshell.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    split peloton?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2011
    RichN95 wrote:

Voeckler & Feillu - 16 wins between them, only two of them outside France. French cycling in a nutshell.

I was a bit harsh the other day on Voeckler too... but I still stand by my conviction that if Voeckler could hardness his clear natural ability and ride more tactically he could win even more... He is exciting to watch, but sometimes I just roll my eyes at some of his moves.. He is nice guy as well .
    www.dotcycling.com
  • disgruntledgoat
    RichN95 wrote:

My favourite anecdote of the state of French cycling came on a ride with a bloke I met in the alps through the Vercours national park just outside Paris. We came upon one of the big amateur teams, with about 20 riders stood by the side of the road as somebody had a puncture. Their car was at a race and not one of them had brought a tube or pump.

@gietvangent
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I also thought it was funny watching Voeckler using his elbow to encourage people along. Gilbert just got on with it.

Was good to see the Yellow jersey do something then sit in the group thought.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,409
    ...a bloke I met in the alps through the Vercours national park just outside Paris....

Either a long ride or some mixed up geography?! :lol:
  • disgruntledgoat
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    ...a bloke I met in the alps through the Vercours national park just outside Paris....

Either a long ride or some mixed up geography?! :lol:

My apologies. Vexins national park. I was confused with the Vercours just outside Grenoble... I knew I'd pick the wrong one!

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    OPL screw up the inter sprint

Cav
    Rojas
    Ventoso
    Greipel !!
    Gilbert
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Lotto make a dog's dinner of the intermediate sprint.
    Welcome to Hoogerland: the shirt.
    http://twitpic.com/5p5a1m
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    From CN

"14:06:52 BST
    Voeckler is eating again, without taking his hands off the bars. He just seems to suck in the energy bars like a stork eating fish."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'