TDF Stage 4 spoilers

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited July 2011
    camerone wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Please tell me Bertie had his arms in the air thinking he'd won?

He did. Dick

Oh I cannot wait to see this tonight.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    camerone wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Great finish and good victory for Cadel. Bertie didn't look that smooth to me. Sky now the leading team?

Not a great day for Wiggins: He can't get up a climb that Hushovd can? :?

Yeah cos that was just like the climbs in the big mountains :roll:

Probably more a case of giving Thor praise rather than Wiggins criticism.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    73c140ff38c3561351cce085bff4ae35-getty-_.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Andy isnt good on these sorts of climbs so I wouldnt read into it for the mountains. Mende.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    mroli wrote:
    Wiggins did badly in not following the first 10, Wiggins did well in forcing another split in the following group getting another couple of seconds.

3 Brits in the top 10!
    Yep a further 2 seconds in to Andy, which is a consolation for missing the main split.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Milton50 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Great finish and good victory for Cadel. Bertie didn't look that smooth to me. Sky now the leading team?

Not a great day for Wiggins: He can't get up a climb that Hushovd can? :?

Yeah cos that was just like the climbs in the big mountains :roll:

Probably more a case of giving Thor praise rather than Wiggins criticism.

Not going to disagree with that, don't like Thor but to haul his not inconsiderable bulk up that was hugely impressive.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Evans in the polkadots tomorrow then.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Andy isnt good on these sorts of climbs so I wouldnt read into it for the mountains. Mende.
    +1 same for Wiggo to be fair.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    The short sharp stuff is not for Andy or Basso.

Iain, just how bored are you so far ;)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Race faces on today, will be some good photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I love Cadel's face in that picture.
  • Doobz
    98565b19469abc18eaacab505d873cb3-getty-_.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    An Englisman, a Welshman and a Scotsman ride into the top 10....

Is this some kind of joke?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I know he has his detractors but Cadel comes across as a really nice guy. Pleased for him.

Eh? He still comes across as a whinging,whining Aussie twat who just happens to be very handy on a bike!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Doobz
    One for the Haters

d2b530ebb1f4dcb9512e1098471afaf1-getty-_.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Really pleased to see Cadel Evans win a real tour stage, if he doesn't win the tour it won't be through lack of effort!

I know in the big scheme of things this is fairly meaningless but surprised how little of a gap Contador was able to get on the others when he went, his trademark is accelerating away but he didn't look like he quite had those legs today.

Poor from Andy Schleck, for those saying that he's no good on climbs like this lets not forget that he's a man who's won LBL and podiumed in Fleche Wallone...he should have been in that lead group.

Impressive ride from Uran, maybe he is going to get more of a free role within the team?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Yep, but Bertie accelerating away usually comes on the final big climb, after a lot of previous climbing, an environment where Andy Schleck also excels. Today really wasn't that sort of day was it?
  • inkyfingers
    dougzz wrote:
    Yep, but Bertie accelerating away usually comes on the final big climb, after a lot of previous climbing, an environment where Andy Schleck also excels. Today really wasn't that sort of day was it?

True, but I did think Bertie might at least have got a gap. Schleck has more to worry about, he should have been in that group, even Wiggins finished ahead of him!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    dougzz wrote:

True, but I did think Bertie might at least have got a gap. Schleck has more to worry about, he should have been in that group, even Wiggins finished ahead of him!

So did Hushovd, but he won't be my PTP pick when we hit the Pyrenees.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    dougzz wrote:

Hang on a sec... I'd say that Wiggins rode a pretty decent stage today for the type of rider he is. I don't get some people implying he wasn't all that today.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    As an aside is this "THE" NapD getting retweeted by Cav and Renshaw?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited July 2011
    Evans has won a stage, is 2nd in GC, 2nd in Points classement (!), and 1st in KOM - not a bad first couple of days...
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

So did Hushovd, but he won't be my PTP pick when we hit the Pyrenees.

That's hardly the point, Hushovd is just trying to keep the yellow jersey for a few more days. I wasn't expecting Andy Schleck to win or gain time, but wouldn't expect him to lose it on a stage like that. Particularly on an uphill finish.

The tour can be won and lost over 8 seconds!
  • inkyfingers
    rickyrider wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

Hang on a sec... I'd say that Wiggins rode a pretty decent stage today for the type of rider he is. I don't get some people implying he wasn't all that today.

That wasn't what I was implying. Wiggins rode well today, what I meant is that you would expect Andy Schleck to have finished ahead of him.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    rickyrider wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

That wasn't what I was implying. Wiggins rode well today, what I meant is that you would expect Andy Schleck to have finished ahead of him.

fair enough - although given the past few months, even Basso might have been more like it! Wiggins was definitely solid today.
  • RichN95.
    That's hardly the point, Hushovd is just trying to keep the yellow jersey for a few more days. I wasn't expecting Andy Schleck to win or gain time, but wouldn't expect him to lose it on a stage like that. Particularly on an uphill finish.

The tour can be won and lost over 8 seconds!

My point was I don't think what anyone did today is an indication of what will happen in the mountains.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Doobz wrote:
    One for the Haters

d2b530ebb1f4dcb9512e1098471afaf1-getty-_.jpg

Conty and Evans contest the win while Frank is looking round for his brother..
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dougzz wrote:
    The short sharp stuff is not for Andy or Basso.

Iain, just how bored are you so far ;)

Today was good. The rest of it was a bit 'meh'

[*] Note : Sprints and TTT's always bore me senseless, regardless of which race they're in. Pip's win on Saturday was ok but it was too predictable and no one could touch him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I only caught the last 5km but it was an excellent finish. Thought Gilbert had that in the bag but Evans rode a blinder - nobody's beaten Gilbert on that sort of finish for a long while.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Doobz
    I don't know why but lately when I see Philippe Gilbert riding, Bernhard Kohl springs to mind..

Maybe its the white hair.. Its kinda spooky because they both ride/rode for Silence Lotto!!

:roll:
    cartoon.jpg