TDF Stage 4 spoilers

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Are we going to be talking about this for the rest of the race? Because it's flippin' boring already.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    NOTHING due to lack of talent or skill.

For not the first time Contadors positioning in the Peloton when it comes into the last 20km has come into question. How come all his fellow GC threats were up at the front and safe from the same problems. I would say that has everything to do with talent and skill, usually Contador has a good cycling head on him so why he was so far back at that point is a bit confusing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sprint coming up. Who's going to go for it (especially for Garmin)?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sprint coming up. Who's going to go for it (especially for Garmin)?

Must be Farrar. He has the better chance of green I reckon.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    NOTHING due to lack of talent or skill.

For not the first time Contadors positioning in the Peloton when it comes into the last 20km has come into question. How come all his fellow GC threats were up at the front and safe from the same problems. I would say that has everything to do with talent and skill, usually Contador has a good cycling head on him so why he was so far back at that point is a bit confusing.

Trying to argue with FFs position regarding Contador is futile, he is more dogmatic than the pope.
    Mañana
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Guimard's comments

That was interesting reading

it was, I really wonder if Contador is mentally broken after reading it..his leaving the chase to Euskatel, am sure Contador will have been hurt by it and from such a strategist as Guimard

Contador mentally broken after reading comments from Guimard? Lol.

Imagine what he would be like if he read this forum? He would cry and drool on himself.

He lost time -- I guess he should get off his bike and walk home.

Incredible.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    pb21 wrote:
    Trying to argue with FFs position regarding Contador is futile, he is more dogmatic than the pope.

Yep that!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • afx237vi
    Farrar. Nice. Spotted a gap and timed it perfectly.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Good sprint from Farrar
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jeremy Roy (FDJ), Blel Kadri (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil-DCM) and Gorka Izagirre (Euksaltel-Euskadi).

Not sure that's been mentioned yet.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Rojas 2nd. Bozic, Cav, and Galimzyanov also there. No Gilbert or Hushovd I think. Narrowing down of the Green contenders?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Interesting to see Goss on Cav's wheel. Think the plan was for Goss to deny Farrar etc. of points (had Cav actually won the bunch sprint), or is Goss just trying to pick up points for his own punt at green?
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    The original HTC Press release announcing the team pinned the green jersey aims as a possability for Goss. Also cav has talked down his chances this year but who knows.

We have adapted our roster to the specific stages of the 2011 course, which include classic-like stages that may deeply challenge pure sprinters, but play to the strengths of Matt Goss. He has won eight races already this year including Milan San Remo and has proven he can win on difficult finishes. He deserves his first start in the Tour de France and will get his chances. He may also be a strong contender for the Green Jersey as the race progresses.
    http://www.highroadsports.com/news/806- ... ce-Success
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Are we going to be talking about this for the rest of the race? Because it's flippin' boring already.

Dont know why you bother as earlier in the year FF bizarrely stated that he wanted AC to lose time in a crash so he has to make up time in the mountains .......and now he gets his wish and he still aint happy. This fanboy does not tknow what he wants.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Interesting to see Goss on Cav's wheel. Think the plan was for Goss to deny Farrar etc. of points (had Cav actually won the bunch sprint), or is Goss just trying to pick up points for his own punt at green?

It might be to stop others getting on Cav's wheel. In 2009, in the final sprints, Hushovd used the tactic of sitting on Cav's wheel as it gave him the best lead out to secure 2nd or 3rd, which was enough to secure the green jersey.
  • afx237vi
    FJS wrote:
    Rojas 2nd. Bozic, Cav, and Galimzyanov also there. No Gilbert or Hushovd I think. Narrowing down of the Green contenders?

Gilbert got 3 points. I think he's back in green if he wins today, although don't think he has much of a chance in the long run.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Was it HTC sprint coach Erik Zabel who once said "as soon as I have to have a blocker on my wheel, I'll know I'm finished"?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited July 2011
    Bakunin wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Guimard's comments

it was, I really wonder if Contador is mentally broken after reading it..his leaving the chase to Euskatel, am sure Contador will have been hurt by it and from such a strategist as Guimard

Imagine what he would be like if he read this forum? He would cry and drool on himself.

Incredible.

No, Guimard commented on the fact Contador didn't chase after the crash, seemed deatched from the race, lost time. Was just wondering if Guimard was right..but am sure Contador reads and listens to media, we'll see. Anyways, what do you think will happen today?

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8946/ ... ssure.aspx
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Graeme_S wrote:

My thoughts going into the tour were that they were going to use Goss much like Garmin will use Thor ie on the hillier stages Cav/Farrar don't stand a chance. Would have been good to see if that was the case on Stage 1 but Goss had a pretty heavy fall.
  • RichN95.
    Was it HTC sprint coach Erik Zabel who once said "as soon as I have to have a blocker on my wheel, I'll know I'm finished"?

But that's a different situation. Hushovd used Cav's wheel not to beat beat him in the sprint, but to minimize his points losses.
  • disgruntledgoat
    RichN95 wrote:

But that's a different situation. Hushovd used Cav's wheel not to beat beat him in the sprint, but to minimize his points losses.

Good point, I suppose the Intergiro... sorry, green jersey, isn't a zero sum game like a stage finish.

I was trolling a little bit too. :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited July 2011
    RichN95 wrote:

I read on cycling news Hinault is now saying Thor Hushovd could win today on Mur.

Sebastian Hinault..not Bernard Hinault..
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Gilbert got 3 points. I think he's back in green if he wins today, although don't think he has much of a chance in the long run.
    You're right. Greipel also at least contesting the sprint, getting 2 points. About Gilbert's chances, probably not, but I still find it difficult to predict how once we get to the hilly/mountain those intermediates will work out - whether it will benefit someone like Gilbert or Cav. Either way Rojas seems well placed...
  • disgruntledgoat
    When they used to call this the Intergiro, Bettini was usually there or there abouts... That's my reasoning behind tipping Gilbert for it.

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:

You're right. Greipel also at least contesting the sprint, getting 2 points. About Gilbert's chances, probably not, but I still find it difficult to predict how once we get to the hilly/mountain those intermediates will work out - whether it will benefit someone like Gilbert or Cav. Either way Rojas seems well placed...

Agree about Rojas. A decent climber, so could "do an Hushovd" and mop up lots of points in the medium mountains. Might get some more today, too.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    BMC seem to have someone on or near the front with OPL most of the time. Does that suggest Evans fancies a pop at it?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Guimard's comments

Incredible.

No, Guimard commented on the fact Contador didn't chase after the crash, seemed deatched from the race, lost time. Was just wondering if Guimard was right..but am sure Contador reads and listens to media, we'll see. Anyways, what do you think will happen today?

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8946/ ... ssure.aspx

I read his comments -- I just think Bertie is mentally tougher than he is given credit for. And I don't think a multiple grand tour winner really cares what anyone has to say.

Should he have been that far back -- no. Should Andy have already hit the deck (thank god for 3 k rule) -- no. And If Andy lost time, everyone would unfairly talking how the Schleck brothers can't keep it upright (including me).

You know better than most, sh1t happens in a race.

That said, Bertie will take a dig -- but it is Gilbert's day.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Agree about Rojas. A decent climber, so could "do an Hushovd" and mop up lots of points in the medium mountains. Might get some more today, too.

It's starting to look like a three way battle for Green (personally I don't see Gilbert ultimately contending)

Currently they are (after that last sprint):

Rojas 74, Farrar 68, Cavendish 34 (Gilbert has 55). If it wasn't for his proven ability to consistently knock out several stage wins, I might start writing Cav off (as with Greipel 29, Bozic 36, Galimathingy 29)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

It's starting to look like a three way battle for Green (personally I don't see Gilbert ultimately contending)

Rojas 74, Farrar 68, Cavendish 34 (Gilbert has 55). If it wasn't for his proven ability to consistently knock out several stage wins, I might start writing Cav off (as with Greipel 29, Bozic 36, Galimathingy 29)

You've already written off Thor, with 54 points? Bit premature perhaps.
    He didn't sprint today, but might just be looking to try and keep hold of the yellow (would take a large slice of luck imo).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I think the next three stages are fairly crucial for Cav. The next two have some uphill towards the finish but the third one is a far better 'flat' one. If on top form then you wouldnt rule him out winning the first two but if not then he could finish quite a bit down with someone else taking the top points.