oh no! its the ligget and sherwen show.

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    MrTapir wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    I know he is much maligned on here (by me too!), but credit where credit is due. I thought Kirby did a good job commentating from the Paris bunker when they lost the feed from Harmon and "the Irishman".

I thought that when he did the impression of Alan Bennett it was commentating genius. Harmon LOL'd. Also like the 3 of them together actually, Harmon and Kelly chatting about the race and then Kirby saying 'can i just interject to tell you about this chateau?' I don't think it would be Le Tour without commentators telling you about the numerous chateux and things.

Yup Kirby works in that sense. Though I didnt see the point of Harmon to keep asking his opinion on the racing. Sean is the expert we want to hear from
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    StefanP wrote:
    Berny Eisel

Hang on, he is Bernie to lots of people....

You ll be telling them off for Bradley in a min ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Sherwens little historical asides are already beginning to grate

+100

They're f*cking crazy.

It reminds me of the Alice Cooper bits in Waynes World where he starts talking extremely informatively about American history or something.

Funny though.

And how come, even though they are watching the same feed as us (I assume) they notice everything five seconds after we do.
  • brookter
    brookter Posts: 51
    I don't mind Messers Liggett and Sherwin too much, but I think it's unfortunate for them (but not for us) that they were preceded for an hour or so by Chris Boardman and Matt Rendell (I think), who I thought far more clear and informative: the contrast was quite revealing. I was sorry when they had to hand over.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    ddraver wrote:
    StefanP wrote:
    Berny Eisel

Hang on, he is Bernie to lots of people....

You ll be telling them off for Bradley in a min ;)

My Bad! I'd not heard it before
  • Slater
    Slater Posts: 80
    calling leopard ( as in big cat)trek

LEY-O-PARD trek

i want to kill tem :evil:

It's really getting on my nerves too. :evil:
    I want to know how none of the ITV4 team spotted the fact that Jurgen Van de Walle went down because he hit a speed bump just as he had one hand out to warn the others of the traffic island.

They kept on going on about touching wheels when that didn't happen at all. :evil:

Have been enjoying the improved ITV4 coverage now that they are using the HD feed too. Great quality picture wise and I've got to admit that I quite enjoy spotting the mistakes that Phil and Paul make. Don't mind the historical info as it is part of the tour route book and the tour is about selling France.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I did nt notice that either.....

They re getting a bit senile but they re still only human!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What I want to know is who is this Maillot Sean that Phil Liggett keeps talking about?
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    ddraver wrote:
    I did nt notice that either.....

They re getting a bit senile but they re still only human!

They are getting on a wee bit! I remember standing next to Paul after the finish of stage 9 of the 1980 Tour. Saw him a few times then, but had lost interest after Bernard Hinault pulled out because of knee problems.

First stage I ever saw live was when Hinault beat Kuiper in Lille. Fantastic!

Phil has always been the voice of the Tour for me from my days watching World of Sport in Lewis' in Glasgow in the mid '70's to now. It was the Tour coverage back then that got me in to racing myself, so I do feel a debt of gratitude towards Phil and nowadays Paul.

Still doesn't mean I don't mind shouting at the telly when they get it wrong :wink:
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Compared to those Boardman ads, Phil & Paul are a treat. Jeez if I hear those banal lines about podiums or being helped off bikes once more...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Slater wrote:

LEY-O-PARD trek

It's really getting on my nerves too. :evil:

But thats official pronunciation...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's some miserable sods in this thread :lol:

Liggett and Sherwen could be worse. A lot worse (I'd be a lot worse! I'm always impressed how they work out who is who so quickly. They may get it wrong some of the time but I'd get it wrong all of the time!). And the commentary would be a lot less interesting without the historical stuff - lets be honest, in just about every stage there are a lot of minutes where nothing whatsoever is happening.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Rolf F wrote:
    There's some miserable sods in this thread :lol:

Liggett and Sherwen could be worse. A lot worse (I'd be a lot worse! I'm always impressed how they work out who is who so quickly. They may get it wrong some of the time but I'd get it wrong all of the time!). And the commentary would be a lot less interesting without the historical stuff - lets be honest, in just about every stage there are a lot of minutes where nothing whatsoever is happening.
    They misidentify riders, say things are happening that aren't happening, miss significant things and focus on insignificant things.
    In the job of cycling commentator, whose job is to identify riders, describe what's happening and explain the significance of things to the viewer, how would they possibly be worse?
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Don't watch the ITV4 highlight as last time i stumbled on them a 1 hour show seemed to have 50 minutes of ads , competitions, explanations etc and about 10 of the actual race.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Depends what you want - my missus likes the ITV4 highlights as they pick up everything she wants, she likes Boardman's analysis and enjoys the Boulting puff pieces and the Rendell/Boulting interviews.

Loved the Millar "plug" for Ned's book last night too.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I started watching Saturdays stage on EurosportHD but switched over to itv4HD when motorsport came on(yes I love hd!). I really enjoyed Boardman/Imlach/Rendall so I didn't switch back until Liggett/Sherwen came on. I gave them fifteen mins but they are just a bit long in the tooth. Far too many mistakes. They have been in decline for years. I really preferred the Boardman/Imlach/Rendall combo.

Ned Boulting even tweeted that Liggett was calling him Nev!

It's always going to be personal preference with commentary but getting names wrong and not knowing what is happening isn't acceptable.

AL
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    To be fair, the ITV4 highlights package is pretty slick. It's definitely aimed at the more casual punter but they pack a lot in. I thought the Ned/Boardman TTT was reasonably informative yesterday, and Matt Rendell's an astute analyst of the sport. I've got to admit that I prefer a proper highlights package like that to the 'stick the last hour of the stage on' kind that Eurosport normally do, unless its a particularly spectacular stage. Plus the ITV one doesn't jump around the schedules like a jack-in-the-box.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712

LEY-O-PARD trek

I prefer it to simple leppud trek ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    In the job of cycling commentator, whose job is to identify riders, describe what's happening and explain the significance of things to the viewer, how would they possibly be worse?

Do you genuinely think that they couldn't be worse? You must live a priviledged life - I've endured far worse sports commentary as a matter of course.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jswba wrote:
    To be fair, the ITV4 highlights package is pretty slick. It's definitely aimed at the more casual punter but they pack a lot in. I thought the Ned/Boardman TTT was reasonably informative yesterday, and Matt Rendell's an astute analyst of the sport. I've got to admit that I prefer a proper highlights package like that to the 'stick the last hour of the stage on' kind that Eurosport normally do, unless its a particularly spectacular stage. Plus the ITV one doesn't jump around the schedules like a jack-in-the-box.

I couldn't agree with this more, Eurosport can be a nightmare to follow sometimes, it starts with 20km to go, you have no idea who is where or what's happened and have to suffer Sean "mumble mumble when i was racing mumble some more" Kelly. However I do agree Phil/Paul are maybe making too many mistakes these days, I never thought I'd hear myself say this but it may be time to hand over to younger more observant eyes.
  • cat whore
    cat whore Posts: 13
    The gods of cycling have heard your comments about the legendary Irishman. Expect a visitation soon. Seriously, how could you...The man talks to dolphins.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Polocini has it for me, too - the contrast between Imlach/Boardman/Rendell (who were, let's remember, just filling in till the "pros" arrived) and the The Chuckles was massive - it felt odd but very pleasant having half an hour or so of really coherent commentary (Imlach is a great presenter) and intelligent analysis (Rendell knows his onions, as does Boardman).

As others have said, I grew up with the P&P Show on Ch4, and so there's still a nostalgic element of them feeling like "The Voice of Cycling", but that was also the case with Murray Walker, and he knew when to go when he started sounding like a self-caricature.

I get all the arguments about "it's a difficult job", and the fact that their commentary is largely aimed at a "USAian" audience these days, but neither of those is a reason for us to have to carry on putting up with the same old tired cliches and increasing errors.
    Is it outside of the realms of possibility for ITV4 to chose to not take their commentary feed any more? Am pretty sure they could provide an excellent commentary team just from the people they employ already.

Sorry - this wasn't sposed to be a rant, it just turned into one. I guess that's what it's like in The Sport of Professional Forum Posting.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    chrisday is right.

when did imlach/boardman/rendell get to do the commentary?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

LEY-O-PARD trek

and it's not "Europcar", it's "Oooh-op-car" for some reason?

Because it's a French team, and that's how they pronounce it

Would we want the team sponsored by a large TV company to be pronounced "Ski"? Zut Alors! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    chrisday wrote:
    I guess that's what it's like in The Sport of Professional Forum Posting.

:lol: Excellent.
  • You aren't wrong. It's the fact that they aren't commentating on what is happening but rather on what they think is happening, what they would like to happen or what happended in 1999.

Yesterday they kept on getting the split/placings wrong - read the stopwatch FFS!!! The computer will tell you the information - you just need to put it into context for us, don't start guessing!
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    ChrisDay agreed with me and I agree with him. Then avoiding my phd came along and also agreed!!

This could be the first ever ProRace forum love in, rather than the usual arguments!!
    AL
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Polocini wrote:
    ChrisDay agreed with me and I agree with him. Then avoiding my phd came along and also agreed!!

This could be the first ever ProRace forum love in, rather than the usual arguments!!
    AL

My bad.

*clears throat*

You're all b@stards
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves