My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon build *UPDATE JUNE *Page 10

Comments

• Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I look forward to seeing the road bike. I am currently rolling round on a Felt F3SL but it does not quite feel right, i think its a little short but I am not 100% sure. My next build will be a road bike, undecided at the moment between a Cervelo R5CA and a S5 8)
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    Sorry Off Topic
    I look forward to seeing the road bike. I am currently rolling round on a Felt F3SL but it does not quite feel right, i think its a little short but I am not 100% sure. My next build will be a road bike, undecided at the moment between a Cervelo R5CA and a S5 8)

Have you try to take it in to do a "bike fitting"? Seems to help, as they can determine if it is a small thing, stem,seat position, cleat etc. Or give you the bad news and say the frame is not right for you :)

Great choices. Both are great bikes. My friend is crazy enough to have them, both are really light. Under 13lbs for the R5ca and 14lbs something for his S5. If I had pick it would be an R5ca as its more of an all round bike. S5 is super fast but leaning towards more of a Multi-Purpose TT style but if you just plan to do more flats then S5 all the way :) What components/wheelset are you planning to use?
    I myself almost bought the S3 limited edition (liking the green) but wanted to wait and see what was out for 2012.

Now I've build Nomad C, I'm starting to really like/getting into the matt black thing. Did think about the Venge Mclaren (f@#king hot) but was sad to hear that it was not a great frame. So I am looking at the Pinarello Dogma in matt/Giro pink or just matt black. 8)
    And of course with Enve Smart wheets :D . A pair of 3.4's and one 6.7's rim for the rear. And probably go with Di2 setup but loving the look of the campy super record.

Something very similar to this one!!!
    279544_245852132111394_166378326725442_939211_3096960_o2.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    An absolute stunner of a bike, FACT. Damn good choice of parts and colour choice's.
    Pictures are top notch and love the family shot.
    Again a superb looking bit of kit its gonna rip dude.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Xgreygoose
    kdawg74 wrote:
    An absolute stunner of a bike, FACT. Damn good choice of parts and colour choice's.
    Pictures are top notch and love the family shot.
    Again a superb looking bit of kit its gonna rip dude.

Cheers. Thanks alot.

Couple more studio pic's. My friend did great job in taken these pic's.

DSC_1674.jpgPoster.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Pass a tissue please i may have just had a crisis.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Hmm think your choice of tyres is very XC considering its a real 6" aggressive trail bike :s wouldn't be loving many of these on fast aggressive sections :s

:lol: Racing Ralphs/ Race Kings are for the Blur XCc. The Mountain Kings don't look out of place on the Nomad. If it was built up for DH then maybe.
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Hey Jon, awesome bike as usual. Sorry to hear the Jekyll died a death due to supply issues. Just had a quick scan. Could you give me your impression of the 2010 Formula The Ones? How are they to use and have you had any issues?
  • Xgreygoose
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Hey Jon, awesome bike as usual. Sorry to hear the Jekyll died a death due to supply issues. Just had a quick scan. Could you give me your impression of the 2010 Formula The Ones? How are they to use and have you had any issues?

As I mention on an early post.
    "IMHO one of the best brakes on market for a light and powerful brake-set. Even better than my R1's which I have two set and still love. Of course its heavier but it is in a different league. Here is review that sums up my thought on the "the one" http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge ... up-review/
    Zero issues so far.
    I plan/already have another set (The One's) for my next build :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    I plan/already have another set (The One's) for my next build :)

You are planning another one so soon?

Isn't your fleet of envy enducing bikes enough already? A beautiful bike. Pretty much my dream build. I hope you put some good miles on it and do it justice.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    John, got a wee question for you. Have you or anyone you know ever had custom wheels built by the guys at r2-bike.com?

Discovered a hairline crack in my Rize's top tube, and i have been told im getting a Carbon Jekyll as the warranty replacement ( I guess im going to be another guinea pig for the DYAD ) :lol
    And since none of my current wheels have an X-12 rear axle, i have decided to do the right thing and build a new set ;):

I thinking of going with Tune King- Kong's, ZTR Creat or Arch with Sapim CX Ray spokes.

Any advice or opinions are welcome as always bro..
  • chick0 wrote:
    John, got a wee question for you. Have you or anyone you know ever had custom wheels built by the guys at r2-bike.com?
    Discovered a hairline crack in my Rize's top tube, and i have been told im getting a Carbon Jekyll as the warranty replacement ( I guess im going to be another guinea pig for the DYAD ) :lol
    And since none of my current wheels have an X-12 rear axle, i have decided to do the right thing and build a new set ;):
    I thinking of going with Tune King- Kong's, ZTR Creat or Arch with Sapim CX Ray spokes.
    Any advice or opinions are welcome as always bro..

Wow the forum has changed...when did this happen?

Its been awhile for me. So sorry chick0 :oops: , hows the new bike? Did you pick up a new set of wheels? Robert at r2 rocks. I bought 3 sets of wheels from them.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Its been over 3 months since I first posted my up my Nomad.
    I can say, I LOVE it!!! What a bike!!!! I can't get enough of it. Learn so much and some more.
    I knew having the 32 Talas 150mm was just the beginning. I did plan to upgrade to a bigger, more travel fork at beginning of next year but its been sooooooooooooo good, I want more NOW :D

Pick up this last week...2012 FOX Racing Shox Factory 36 TALAS 140mm/180mm FIT RLC Taper head :D:D
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Weights in at 2480g with 20mm QR skewer
    5.jpg

Having the new 36 Fox you need a minimum brake rotor of 203mm.
    6.jpg

A new fork means a new front hub for my Enve AM/ Tune wheelset. Has been on order for over a month and still waiting. I have ordered another Tune hub (to match the rear) Tune Kong MK silver 20mm through axle.
    tune-king-mk4.jpg

So in the mean time I pick up a new/spare wheelset. Easton Haven's with 20mm through axle front hub.
    Did not go with the carbon one's has I have a carbon wheelset already and IMHO no way as strong/stiff and fast as my AM Enve set. :)
    75.jpg

Also some small upgrades.....
    Formula FCS Adjustment Kit for my Formula "The Ones"
    4.jpg

And the reliable Chris King Ceramic Bottom Bracket for super smooth pedaling :)
    3.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    Hey John, Hows the Nomad?

Yeah fancy new forum :),

Still not built up the Jekyll frame. As i only just picked it up from my dealer. It was held up first by the Cannondale Holland being behind due to the Eurobike show, and then when the frame did arrive at the UK distributor it had no shock, so one had to be ordered from the US, which took around 4 weeks to arrive.

Also, as i did not know the finish i was getting , i also decided to wait to see that before spec'n it ( Its Berserker Green, your fav )

I have also had to order quite a few proprietary parts, like a headset, rear break mount and shock pump ( yes, they never even gave me the high pressure DYAD pump, grr).

I now have most of the parts i need (although im not at home right now to start the build), except the wheels, as i really can't decide on what rims or hub finish i will go for. In fact your a man of good taste, maybe you can give your opinion :)

I think i have settled on Tune King & Kongs hubs, but can't decide if i should go for giftgrün (toxic green) or white hubs.
    Have you ever seen giftgrün in the flesh, do you think it will match up with the Green finish on the frame?

I also have decided to go for White ZTR rims, but not sure if i will go for Crest or Arch, i would like to go light weight, as for 95% of my riding they should be ample, but i do kinda like to be over biked for when the time arrives to smash it ;)

Once i get home i will start a wee build thread on here.
  • chick0 wrote:
    Hey John, Hows the Nomad?

Yeah fancy new forum :),
    I think i have settled on Tune King & Kongs hubs, but can't decide if i should go for giftgrün (toxic green) or white hubs.
    Once i get home i will start a wee build thread on here.

Hey chick0,
    I have a set of those green Tune hubs on my Flash and they don't match.
    DSC01805.jpg
    Go for the white (it will be heavier though as is power coated) or simple black. As in the future it will be easy to match any of your new bikes. :)
    If is Stans no tube rim then you should go for Arch which is IMHO better. A wee bit heavier than Crest but stonger/stiff. Crest more XC and Arch is also XC but touching on All Mountain side. http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx
    So if it was up to me. Arch black rims (lime green decal) with white/black Tune King Kong's and Sapim CX Ray spokes with green and silver nipples :D:D Awesome. Good price, light and pretty strong for your style. :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    Thanks John, i knew you would be the man to ask :)

I was really confused about the giftgrün colour, as ever time i see it, it looks very different, and once again in your picture it looks a totally different shade and tone again form other pics... And its always hard to match greens with pictures, as my Jekyll looks very different in real to almost all the pics i have seen.

Look how different it looks in these to pics, and compare again to yours;

http://r2-bike.com/bilder/produkte/gross/3395_8.jpg

http://www.bike-freaks.de/wp-content/up ... onball.jpg

It was funny to see you have got yourself a set of Havens, as in the last few days i have been considering scraping the Tune/ ZTR build and going for a set in the Champagne finish. Have yours arrived yet? Had a chance to pop them on the scales ?

I think your right about going for Arch, they are prob the best option for "Trail" riding, and they will still build up into a 1400g wheel set, which is still pretty light..
  • chick0 wrote:
    Thanks John, i knew you would be the man to ask :)

It was funny to see you have got yourself a set of Havens, as in the last few days i have been considering scraping the Tune/ ZTR build and going for a set in the Champagne finish. Have yours arrived yet? Had a chance to pop them on the scales ?
    I think your right about going for Arch, they are prob the best option for "Trail" riding, and they will still build up into a 1400g wheel set, which is still pretty light..

Yes, have mine already. Took some photos of them but I cant remember where I store them on. Came in at (real weight) 1639g. Clam weight of 1650g. I tested both carbon ones and my alloy ones. Carbon did not feel stiff at all. Very disappointed. Alloy ones I tested a friends set and gave it good beating. Pretty good in terms of stiffest and weight and price too. :) Down side. I have heard of many people talking about the play with the rear hub. Was it the first batch? I don't know. My mate weight in at 215lbs and beats the hell out of them. No problems so far but I can say that the engagement is wee bit slower than my Tune Prince rear hub. Maybe it could because of Tune lighter rear hub and my ceramic bearings.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    edited November 2011
    My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon with new 2012 Fox fork Talas 140/180mm and Easton Haven's.

photo7.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    photo1.jpg

I guess my next upgrade will be a Cane Creek Double barrell with Ti Spring or a Rock Shox Vivid Air R2C Rear Shock :D:D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    I have read all the chat about the rear hub problems also, seems like all the recent reports are just that they need tightened every now and again.

But i could forgive them for that, as they look so damn cool on a bike hahaha..
  • chick0
    Omg John, that looks badass with those forks and wheels !

Why are you thinking of changing rear shock? I have heard only the highest praise of the 2012 RP23..
  • chick0 wrote:
    Omg John, that looks badass with those forks and wheels !

Why are you thinking of changing rear shock? I have heard only the highest praise of the 2012 RP23..

I know, right? Looks good. Thanks.
    Wasn't planning to as IT is an amazing rear shock. Just in the back of my mind. But the truth is....I might save it for my new DH rig :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • That looks perfect with some proper forks and the Havens!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    HOLY $HIT!!!! that is so sexy

i would take some enve wheels over havens anyday but the havens look so damn good. good choice on the bigger fork, looks like it could take a beating

if i were you i would wait till they release the cane creek double barrel air
  • chick0
    Is Santa bringing little Johnny a nice V10 Carbon to ride down hills on ? :)

Meant to ask how you got on with the various Continental tyres. I see you have gone with a set of Rubber Queens on the Havens, did you find the supersonic Mtn/Race Kings to fragile or just lacking overall grip?

Did you happen to pop the Rubber Queens (2.4 Black Chilli ?) on the Scales ? :)
  • That looks perfect with some proper forks and the Havens!
    Cheers and yes. I'm super happy. :D

jay12 wrote:
    HOLY $HIT!!!! that is so sexy
    i would take some enve wheels over havens any day but the havens look so damn good. good choice on the bigger fork, looks like it could take a beating
    if i were you i would wait till they release the cane creek double barrel air

Totally agree with you, Enve rocks big time.
    Cane Creek double barrel air...Really? Yes I would wait :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0 wrote:
    Is Santa bringing little Johnny a nice V10 Carbon to ride down hills on ? :)

Meant to ask how you got on with the various Continental tyres. I see you have gone with a set of Rubber Queens the Havens, did you find the supersonic Mtn/Race Kings to fragile?

Continental tyres my fave at the moment.
    Just trying out a set of the rubber queen. Awesome but way to much grip for me. Plus more for wet and muddy condition. Normally I use the new 2012 Mountain Kings Protection. ( 2.4 front and 2. 2 rear)

Race King IMHO one of the best XC tyres out there. Light, super fast and tons of grip. Very nice. I go with the "Race Sport" one as they have a bit more protection. Puncture and side wall protection.
    I use them on my Flash and the new bike :) Also try the X-Kings.I use them up front. I even sometime put them on the rear of the Nomad.

Santa maybe bringing a V10 or Demo or Session 9.9 :D:D:D Road bike went out the window when I discovered the love for big travel bikes :lol::lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    What's a road bike? hahaha.

I told you it was a good idea getting am AM bike ;)

Also meant to ask how a long time Lefty rider is finding your new Fox's?

Do you have a weight for your Rubber Queens? I take it they are the 2.4 black chilli's? How do they roll?

I was going to fit the Jekyll with Mtn Kings, but heard the 2.4 is more like a 2.2, and fancied giving some balloon tyres a try (at least on the front) ;) Plus i will be riding mostly in cold, wet and muddy condition's for the next 5 months, so RQ might be the perfect choice if they are not to heavy and roll ok ..
  • This thread needs to come with tissues? Farking lovely, would cream myself riding that!
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Oh my word. This bike is on another level! This thread should have a health warning on it! Love them wheels! If mine ever give way, I think it'll take some serious persuading for me NOT to buy the champagne versions.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • UPDATE….
    Some new parts for my Nomad which I would like to share with you guys.

Since I got this bike back in July ’11 I can’t stop riding it. It’s an amazing bike, I love it!! and it’s opened a new door in MTB for me. My other XC bikes are collecting dust….big time!! :lol::lol:
    Loving the AM/DH scene a lot more now. :D

Latest version of my SC Nomad Carbon Feb 2012
    Gb1-1.jpg
    gb17.jpg
    "Burning up the trail" :lol::lol::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Weight is at 28.4lbs with new parts :):)
    Photo11.jpg

Details of new parts below

One of thing I notice a lot with the Nomad is “chain slapping”. I knew I had to fix this problem especially when you are descending down 10 or more flights of rock steps. Having a double chainring, made it wee bit hard to find a chain tension that IMO worked well. I then heard about the MRP 2X.
    IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    Unfortunately it didn’t work well. Even if chain line was tight. Shifting was fine, changing big to small ring and up again was smooth. But went it was slightly knocked or the bash ring guard was knocked the shifting would be Sh!t. The shield that protects the jockey wheels is a bit flimsy too. Bought a replacement after I crank it when I hit a small rock. The worst was the chain would drop when I pedal backwards and then it would get stuck in the ring.

So in end I went back with my MRP XCG 40 and picked up the new Shimano XTR shadow plus. A more simple and clean look now. Plus chain slap is virtually non-existent.
    SAM_0281.jpg
    gb6.jpg

New “Raw” colour Point One Podium pedals with upgraded aluminum pins.
    Good colour to have if you bash or scruff your pedals as you can't see the marks. :D
    IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg

Tune MK Kong 20mm front hub
    IMG_1535.jpg
    SAM_0141.jpg
    So happy to go back with my Enve AM wheelset even though the Havens where pretty good but I did find the rear hub always had some play and I found the engagement was slightly slower than my Tune hub but that’s just IMO.
    Plus the Enve rims are stiffer and lighter 8)

Tyres:
    Had a set 2012 Continental MK. Although light, good side weight protection, these tires were pretty small in size. 2.4 looked like a 2.2 then I went and tried the Rubber Queens. Sizing was very good. Awesome grip, abit heavy and had thin side walls as I managed to rip the back tyre.
    New set of tyres. Schwalbe Hans Dampf TL. 2.35
    Liking the Hans Dampf a lot. Big ass tyres, true size, snake skin side walls, fast yet tons of grip and weight is good too.

Front Tyre- TrailStar Compound
    IMG_1616.jpg

Rear Tyre- PaceStar Compound
    IMG_1614.jpg
    gb18.jpg
    Decided and managed to go tubeless on my Enve AM rims even though my rims are the older model. Very luck as both wheels sealed first time. I used gorilla tape instead of the crappy Stan’s yellow tape. And of course, Stan’s sealant. Two cups to make sure.
    Saved about 85grams on each wheel which would help to go to my next upgrade.

Still a weight weenie at heart and saving grams I found my perfect saddle. Fizik Gobi 00. Well padded, great shape, very comfortable and light too.
    IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    gb7.jpg
    With new ODI Troy Lee grips.
    gb15.jpg

One of my main upgrades especially after changing my Fork to a Fox 36 180mm talas was the rear shock.
    SAM_0211.jpg
    I still love the new Fox RP23 but after some very long aggressive descend, long rides and climbs the shock over heated and it “bottom out” afew times. It felt sluggish too. I decided I needed a new rear shock.
    I didn’t want a coil/spring for now as I do a lot of climbing on my Nomad.
    I thought about Rock Shox Vivid Air but IMO it’s a pretty ugly thing to look at. And of course the new CCDB Air which looks totally bad ass. I want to wait to see it more available on the main market and maybe get a chance to test it out.
    So in the end I went for the 2012 Fox DHX 5.0 Air.
    Though it took at lease 5 rides to tune the thing, I’m very happy with it now.
    No “bottom out” jobby and its feels great. Very plush yet firm on long climbs when I switch the pro pedal to “Max”

Pleasantly surprise with the weight of DHX Air. Only 150g heavier than the RP23
    With bushings
    IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg

SAM_0212.jpg
    SAM_0237.jpg

gb8.jpg
    gb11.jpg
    gb4.jpg

Finally me with my Xmas present. A solo effort using a GoPro HD 2 :mrgreen::D Going to have alot of fun with this new toy.
    myfavone.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9