My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon build *UPDATE JUNE *Page 10

Comments

• AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    That is rather tasty. Kept us all waiting!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Congratulations on bike of the year ;)
  • quattrojames
    quattrojames Posts: 157
    Wow :shock:

Great work, looks an incredible bike!
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Not really my cup of tea, looks-wise, but you obviously put a lot of thought into it. Besides all that, I bet it rides like a beast (in a good way) :)
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    Well done John, another stunning, well thought out build. It's pretty much my lottery bike build except for the wheels (carbon havens if money was no object).

Kudos again mate, and hurry up and bring it to Scotland so i can have a shot :lol:

Neil
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Very lovely
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    Thanks alot guys. I'm loving it too.... 8)

pioneer68 wrote:
    Amazing attention to detail, and looks great, almost to good to ride (almost but not quite). Well light for an AM build, lighter than most 120 bikes on the market. Would take carbon wheels, to get my Remedy, anywhere near yours, I think. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the muzzle on your Gobi saddle, but that's just nit picking.
    Look forward to seeing your next project Big John.
    It looked like a good idea the muzzle from Fizik but I agree with you now. Its crap. Kept on catching my shorts when I was moving back and forth on my saddle. Plus it kept sliding off when I pushed back :evil: . Its off for good, I guess I'll put on my commute- the hooligan :)
    I think if I want to protected my saddle on epic days then I'll just use a weather proof seat cover from now on.

warpcow wrote:
    Not really my cup of tea, looks-wise, but you obviously put a lot of thought into it. Besides all that, I bet it rides like a beast (in a good way) :)
    I've seen one of your bike(s) on this forum and I can understand why its not "your cup of tea" :). Everyone has there own style. Yeah I do normally do spend some time on my bike projects :D . I like to be original and different than other guys. Like to think of way's to make it my own and find out what parts/components works for me. 8) and for sure its a wee beast (for now) :lol:

Bred2shred wrote:
    Well done John, another stunning, well thought out build. It's pretty much my lottery bike build except for the wheels (carbon havens if money was no object).
    Kudos again mate, and hurry up and bring it to Scotland so i can have a shot :lol:
    Neil

Cheers Bred2shred. Ta very much.
    Like to build my wheelsets plus Enve rims are more stiffer and stronger. The Havens look's hot and are UST ready but lucky for me, not a fan of tubeless. They look the business.
    But I've heard they need to work on the rear hub some more. I know for couple people (local overseas) that they had to rebuild the rear only after 3weeks. Also tested myself by hand that the rear hub doesn't feel smooth. You can feel just a wee bit of movement inside the hub. Then again maybe its just that set. Anyway I wouldn't say no too.
    Back again home in Jan but it's too freaking cold to ride. My blood is too thin now. :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Xgreygoose wrote:

warpcow wrote:
    I've seen one of your bike(s) on this forum and I can understand why its not "your cup of tea" :). Everyone has there own style. Yeah I do normally do spend some time on my bike projects :D . I like to be original and different than other guys. Like to think of way's to make it my own and find out what parts/components works for me. 8) and for sure its a wee beast (for now) :lol:

I think mostly I'm just way more impatient than you. I don't think any one of my bikes has taken more than a week or two to plan and put together, and it usually shows :lol: Don't get me wrong, your Nomad is a beauty (I'd have one in a second to replace my Heckler), and it's nice to see all the bling serving a purpose as well as being what you wanted.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Very nice indeed, the time and thought you have put into your bike is amazing, how does it ride? I would never be able to achieve anything close to this, my new product is my 456 and you have giving me some inspiration.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    much tasty

well jealous

nice work
  • Guisamo
    Guisamo Posts: 70
    Eclipse light tubes, where did you get them from and how much?
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    well I must say that is probably the best looking bike on here IMO, how much do you think this has cost in total if you do not mind me asking? :?:
  • Xgreygoose
    warpcow wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    warpcow wrote:
    I think mostly I'm just way more impatient than you. I don't think any one of my bikes has taken more than a week or two to plan and put together, and it usually shows :lol: Don't get me wrong, your Nomad is a beauty (I'd have one in a second to replace my Heckler), and it's nice to see all the bling serving a purpose as well as being what you wanted.
    Surprisingly the Nomad didn't take that long to think up and build. Normally I would search high and low for matching parts or get them custom made but this time it was (kind of) easy.
    I had most of the "detailed" parts and components (Ano gold is easy to come by). Very lucky that the 2012 fox shock/fork matched the frame perfectly. The Formula "the one" brakes also perfectly matched the frame (didn't have to ask my guy in Italy to help me :) ). Didn't have to custom order the Fizik Gobi saddle as they had a black/gold one.
    Only think that I had to wait was the custom decal/sticker for the Enve rims and the silly Chris King headset mistake (they should call it Orange Gold) :lol:

Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Nice mate!
    But it's crying out for a set of these
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Miscellaneou ... r-Fox-5th-
    Cheers mate, those look very interesting. I haven't seen these before but I know you can get them made in titanium. Have you tried them yourself or do you know of anyone that is using them now? Liking the Ano gold on it too. :)

toastedone wrote:
    Very nice indeed, the time and thought you have put into your bike is amazing, how does it ride? I would never be able to achieve anything close to this, my new product is my 456 and you have giving me some inspiration.
    Thanks. I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet :cry: Its raining buckets this weekend so unable to test it out.
    I did a small single track loop down from my house the other day. Setting up the sag on my shocks. Making sure no funny sounds from the bike. It rides great so far and feels quick going uphill which is a nice surprise. X-Kings feels fast too. Liking the new feature on the RP23 (Pro-pedal). Also the Fox 32 Talas with all it features. Though it does feel funny with two front forks as I'm a Lefty man :lol: Nice to have 700mm bar too as all my bars are between 580mm and 560mm :)
    BTW like you On One Carbon. Very 8)

Guisamo wrote:
    Eclipse light tubes, where did you get them from and how much?
    I get them from my good mate, Robert at r2.com.de You can get them here http://www.r2-bike.com/eclipse-fahrrad-schlauch Max. tyre size is 2.25 so the reason why I'm only using them at the rear.
    They are really good ,just like normal tubes and had only afew punctures this year. Super light but at a silly, silly price. :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    good lord man, thats a stunner!! :shock: 8) kicks my humble mojo for six does that! good job!!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Very, very nice.

I would rather have those ENVE rims over haven carbons.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Xgreygoose wrote:

Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Nice mate!
    Cheers mate, those look very interesting. I haven't seen these before but I know you can get them made in titanium. Have you tried them yourself or do you know of anyone that is using them now? Liking the Ano gold on it too. :)

No not tried them myself as WIP once funds allow, I came across them whilst reading this article

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/lon ... ange-five/

Unfortunately the review provides no feedback on them, so, so far as performance is concerned I haven't got a clue I just thought the anno gold would look sweet. :wink:

Some more info

http://www.racingbros.com/index_b.asp

click: Modi M- Kit
  • Guisamo
    wow, they are a silly price.

Forgot to say, cool looking bike, much respect!
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    Never thought i would say this about a bike, But, THAT IS SEXY. :lol:
  • Xgreygoose
    lawman wrote:
    good lord man, thats a stunner!! :shock: 8) kicks my humble mojo for six does that! good job!!
    Cheers mate. Thanks. No your Mojo stil has the "Mojo" :D Its a great ride and looks the business. Any updates on it? BTW I have these PM me. Got them made for the Jekyll (Dumb cannondale) Two sets. Same colour as the Crest decal/stickers
    DSC03193.jpg

Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Nice mate!
    No not tried them myself as WIP once funds allow, I came across them whilst reading this article
    http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/lon ... ange-five/
    Unfortunately the review provides no feedback on them, so, so far as performance is concerned I haven't got a clue I just thought the anno gold would look sweet. :wink:
    Some more info
    http://www.racingbros.com/index_b.asp
    click: Modi M- Kit

Cheers for the info. I have already sent them an email to confirm the size for my Nomad. Light weight, yes but the Ano gold, sweet!! 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Guisamo wrote:
    wow, they are a silly price.
    Forgot to say, cool looking bike, much respect!

The tubes are not everyone's "cup of tea". Yep, as I said silly price.
    BTW cheers for the comment 8)

JamieRa wrote:
    Never thought i would say this about a bike, But, THAT IS SEXY. :lol:
    Funny you said that, I said the same comment to the wife and she gave me THAT funny look. I was going to say I love riding her too (Nomad) but I think she would her beaten me up :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Very, very nice.
    I would rather have those ENVE rims over haven carbons.

Ta very much. Absolutely Enve rocks! 8) BTW any comments on your Ano gold adjusters for the Formula "the one" brakes? Good, bad, easy to install?
    2original.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Guisamo
    another question for you, where did you get the cable clips an rubber cable sleeves looked all over but can't find anything like either of them. Ta.
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    another question for you, where did you get the cable clips an rubber cable sleeves looked all over but can't find anything like either of them. Ta

I second that Guisamo, would save taping the front end to death
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • Xgreygoose
    pioneer68 wrote:
    another question for you, where did you get the cable clips an rubber cable sleeves looked all over but can't find anything like either of them. Ta

I second that Guisamo, would save taping the front end to death

Hey guys, I get them from my LBS. but I managed to find some on Flea Bay. They do them in white too but I can't find the white ones. Anyway here is the link. Agree much,much better than using tape. Better looking, last longer and they will be nice to your frame :lol:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Bi-King-Bikes-an ... =987724371
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Great dreambike build with no expense spared and some very nice touches.
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Fabulous looking bike, 10/10! 8) How do you find the "formula the one" brakes, i have them on my current shortlist to replace mine?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nice bike but what the f*ck is up with that wall? You spend that much on a bike and have a house the colour of a whales bell end?!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Xgreygoose
    CraigXXL wrote:
    Great dreambike build with no expense spared and some very nice touches.
    Thanks, yeah went way over budget. But I guess it doesn't matter as I love to build and ride :D

SPIRO wrote:
    Fabulous looking bike, 10/10! 8) How do you find the "formula the one" brakes, i have them on my current shortlist to replace mine?
    IMHO one of the best brakes on market for a light and powerful brake-set. Even better than my R1's which have two set and love. But it is in a different league. Here is review that sums up my thought on the "the one" http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge ... up-review/
    IMO it should be way up on your list :)

Nice bike but what the f*ck is up with that wall? You spend that much on a bike and have a house the colour of a whales bell end?!
    :lol: I was waiting for someone to say something about my wall.
    Long story short is the back of my Grandfather's Village shop/social club. Its been that funny colour before I was born and thats a long, long time ago. :) My house is on the same land.
    In the place I have a 'hobby/recreation room" to store my bikes and things. Here is a quick snap shot of it.....abit of a mess and it looks like more a bike shop to me :lol:
    DSC03197.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9