My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon build *UPDATE JUNE *Page 10

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    jay12 wrote:
    ohhh those easton havens 8) 8) 8)

and that fox fork 8) i might be getting one or the 180mm next year for my build if i can get trade price when i'm working at my lbs, but thats not certain

of topic, but don't expect mega savings on fox's unless you're working for a main fox dealer, and what ever idea of price you have for a build, add at least a quarter as much again for realistic price :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

and that fox fork 8) i might be getting one or the 180mm next year for my build if i can get trade price when i'm working at my lbs, but thats not certain

of topic, but don't expect mega savings on fox's unless you're working for a main fox dealer, and what ever idea of price you have for a build, add at least a quarter as much again for realistic price :lol:
    i was looking at the pricing for them at the shop when i was on work experiance and it's actually quite good. it all depends how much money i'll have

and yes you are right! you always end up spending more than you intended.
  • lawman
    jay12 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

i was looking at the pricing for them at the shop when i was on work experiance and it's actually quite good. it all depends how much money i'll have

yeah thats what i thought when i saw them, but it turned out they were about 10-15% more than marked for some reason :? gotta admit they are mega overpriced even at trade.

yep, the mojo was originally budgeted for around the 3K mark, worked out alot more than that in the end :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

yeah thats what i thought when i saw them, but it turned out they were about 10-15% more than marked for some reason :? gotta admit they are mega overpriced even at trade.

yep, the mojo was originally budgeted for around the 3K mark, worked out alot more than that in the end :lol:
    i'm probably gonna go for some used 36 vans, lyrik dh or totems. even if theyr used they'll still be good, be a lot cheaper and i can get a full fork service for £75
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

My SC Nomad build is alot more than my Jekyll build. I guess it cost more if you build up from a frame than a complete bike. Saying that I do get a good discount from my LBS. Also Fox Shock distributor in HK I get 25% off retail price. For example I buy the 2012 32 Talas for around 435pounds (exchange rate 12.5) which I think is pretty good. Another reason I can see my future upgrade to a 2012 180 Talas.......so glad now that I didn't get the Jekyll :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Very nice, are you not tempted to put a 160mm 36 on the front of it though rather than a 150mm fork?
    Just seen the bit in the first post about why you have gone for the 150mm fork.
    Cheers, how's your SC Blur LTc or you riding your Giant more now?

Its just taken me 2 months to have the Blurs formulas fixed so at long last i can ride her. It took 2 new master cylinders to sort it out. If your master cylinders have round caps send them straight off.

What to you mean when you say "round caps"? Any pic'e you can show me? :?:

Just whipped one of my levers off for you:
    P1010751.jpg
    Here is what i was told:
    On inspecting them I found fluid leaking from the MC caps, something we have seen before with older The ONE’s and R1’s and due to us currently being out of stock of the required parts we replaced the complete MC body both front and rear (I believe the rear had already been replaced?)
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Very nice, are you not tempted to put a 160mm 36 on the front of it though rather than a 150mm fork?
    Just seen the bit in the first post about why you have gone for the 150mm fork.
    Cheers, how's your SC Blur LTc or you riding your Giant more now?

Its just taken me 2 months to have the Blurs formulas fixed so at long last i can ride her. It took 2 new master cylinders to sort it out. If your master cylinders have round caps send them straight off.

What to you mean when you say "round caps"? Any pic'e you can show me? :?:

Just whipped one of my levers off for you:
    P1010751.jpg
    Here is what i was told:
    On inspecting them I found fluid leaking from the MC caps, something we have seen before with older The ONE’s and R1’s and due to us currently being out of stock of the required parts we replaced the complete MC body both front and rear (I believe the rear had already been replaced?)

Cheers for the pic. I see now what you mean. I common problem especially the first edition R1's.
    I did have a problem with my first edition R1's. They changed the round cap and no problem since 09. I do however do a monthly check on all my Formula's. As you know brake oil and carbon finish is a BIG no no. Also any new set of Formula's I put a small bit of white paper on the cap to see if there is any oil leak during the first couple of months. Not so much worried about the oil leak but its the carbon finish :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    This is going to be lovely when built! Cant wait to see it:D

Rather than the rp23, how about a 2012 rockshox monarch rt3 with the new carbon air can? Apparently they blow through their travel less than the foxes.
  • lawman
    leaflite wrote:

Rather than the rp23, how about a 2012 rockshox monarch rt3 with the new carbon air can? Apparently they blow through their travel less than the foxes.

depends on the tune, the boost valve on the rp23 pretty much stops mid-stroke wallow on 90% of bikes, and the vpp design and other twin link bikes are normally pretty good overall
  • lawman wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

depends on the tune, the boost valve on the rp23 pretty much stops mid-stroke wallow on 90% of bikes, and the vpp design and other twin link bikes are normally pretty good overall

Well they need to redo it again the rp23 on my T2 is still pretty wallowy and blows through the travel on big hits.

And we need more nomad pics!
  • Xgreygoose
    lawman wrote:
    leaflite wrote:
    Well they need to redo it again the rp23 on my T2 is still pretty wallowy and blows through the travel on big hits.
    And we need more nomad pics!

I'm not a big of Rock Shox Monarch. I had a Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 on my 2010 Scalpel Team and I didn't like the feel of it. Even my light DT Carbon XR felt better and that's not a great rear shock.( I only like it because it was very light and had a lockout feature) . I've never really had any complains about my old RP23. This is why I went for the 2012 RP23, I've heard nothing but great reports/feedback from it. I did think about going one up and getting DHX Air 5.0 but the hassle of fine tuning this shock didn't appeal to me.

ichabod. Pic's when come on Monday when my new headset arrives. 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    My flat pedals arrived this afternoon. Point 1 Racing Podium pedals. Liking the four sealed cartridge bearings on each pedal with O-ring seals. And a pretty big platform.

With steel pins 380g
    DSC03011.jpg
    With alloy pins 357g
    DSC03012.jpg

Also arrived is my MRP XCG Double Bash Guards. 89g
    DSC03005.jpg

My custom Enve decal/stickers is here too. Now I'm just waiting on my new headset and I'm done :D
    DSC03007.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    *sniffs*

What's that smell?

Smells like .......is it?. ............I think it could be. ............yes, I think it may just be .....................bike of the year!!!!

Ditch that PoS hope skewer first though. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can find something better.
    Me exact thoughts.

Well, sort of. What are you doing putting such cheap, tatty components on such a nice frame? :lol:

Seriously though, that is just splentacular. Awesome. (apart from the Hope skewer)
  • Xgreygoose
    *sniffs*
    What's that smell?
    Smells like .......is it?. ............I think it could be. ............yes, I think it may just be .....................bike of the year!!!!
    Ditch that PoS hope skewer first though. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can find something better.
    Me exact thoughts.
    Well, sort of. What are you doing putting such cheap, tatty components on such a nice frame? :lol:
    Seriously though, that is just splentacular. Awesome. (apart from the Hope skewer)

It's gone, no more Hope skewer. :lol: It will be DT Swiss or XTR that will be going on or maybe something else.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    XTR!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Needs more BURL!!!! rawr
  • Xgreygoose
    Needs more BURL!!!! rawr

What does BURL mean? :?: :oops:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • TerryBlato
    TerryBlato Posts: 13
    Jesus Christ that is a disgustingly nice bit of kit!
    Orange 5 AM

On-One Carbon 456
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Burly :P
  • Needs more BURL!!!! rawr

I agree, Cane Creek Double Barrel muchness required!!! :twisted:
  • Xgreygoose
    Needs more BURL!!!! rawr
    I agree, Cane Creek Double Barrel muchness required!!! :twisted:

A lovely bit of kit 8) but would also require a larger fork on the Nomad and leaning towards more "downhill" which I not ready for (yet) :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    OK, after some dumb ass delay finally my CK headset has arrived. And the correct one this time (Inset Model5 1.5 taper headset). :)

Went with the "Pewter" colour this time as the gold was too orange looking. Also wanted to be original and didn't go with the black one.
    DSC03039.jpg

My XTR skewer arrived too but I think I'm going to go with the DT Swiss RWS MTB Titanium one and to add abit of colour, I will use the knob from the Hope skewer.
    Surprisingly only 1gram lighter than the Hope gold skewer but XTR is much prettier to look at. :)
    DSC03041.jpgDSC02897.jpg

This one is the one that I will be using DT Swiss RWS MTB Titanium.
    The ratchet system seems pretty tight and the matt black lever matches the frame well.
    DSC03045.jpg

I managed to find 75mm Enve stem 8) so I think I'm going to go with this one. Still have the Point 1 Racing "Split Second 70" stem but I don't know if I will keep it.
    Dam good weight for a super stiff carbon stem.
    DSC03038.jpg

Here is my front wheelset. I changed the decal/sticker from white/silver to Black/gold and other one is black/very light pink white to match the font colour of "Santa Cruz" on the frame. (Photo shot could have been better)
    DSC03033-1.jpgDSC03026.jpg

This should be the last of the photo's on, the bike parts. Nomad will be complete tomorrow "yippee!!!!" :lol: 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    looking forward to seeing the finished machine
  • Tinman_66
    Tinman_66 Posts: 36
    So much awesomeness in one bike. My all time favourite bike with an absolutely epic build.

Blows the 'Dale off the trail
    Cove Stiffee
    Speccy Stumpjumper FSR Elite (2004)
    Kinesis Racelight T
    HED R1C (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12755249)
  • Xgreygoose
    edited July 2011
    Introducing my Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon Enve

I'm so happy, finally my AM build is finished. :D:D:D:D:lol::lol:

Frame is a medium with carbon black and gold colour.
    Poster.jpg
    1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

6.jpg
    Found some lovely Limited Edition Gold ODI Ruffian grips 8)
    7.jpg9.jpg8.jpg10.jpg

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16-1.jpg18.jpg20.jpg
    I put some "Sports Cover Bike Shield Frame Protector" on the down tube. IMO so much better the 3M helicopter tape.
    21.jpg
    Continental X-Kings 2.2
    22.jpg
    Continental X-Kings 2.4
    23.jpg

Pleasantly surprised with the weight 11.49kg which is around 25.3lbs :)
    An extra 130grams when I put on the flat Point 1 Racing pedals, another 100+grams if i use the Mountain Kings 2.4
    All in all it will stay under 26lbs (11.8kg) which is pretty good for a AM bike 8)
    DSC03190.jpgDSC03192.jpg

24.jpgDSC03108.jpg
    Poster.jpg
    Now its time to really test this bad boy out this weekend on the trails. Have only tried it on some wee single track path way down from my house. Setting the sag on the shocks. Liking the new feature of the "Pro Pedal" on RP23. Also very strange seeing two front forks :lol:

Please feel free to comment and ask questions :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I don't think I can stand up without embarrassing myself. Good work Big John.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    yep, I got wood :oops:

nice :D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    edited July 2011
    Amazing attention to detail, and looks great, almost to good to ride (almost but not quite). Well light for an AM build, lighter than most 120 bikes on the market. Would take carbon wheels, to get my Remedy, anywhere near yours, I think. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the muzzle on your Gobi saddle, but that's just nit picking.
    Look forward to seeing your next project Big John.
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    That is
    BEE
    AY
    UUTIFUL
  • qualiteeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert