My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon build *UPDATE JUNE *Page 10

123457»

Comments

• I've always loved the style and shape of the Nomad frame. Stunning build!
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    Like to share some new components that are going on the Nomad.
    Getting ready for my annual summer MTB trip. :D

CANE CREEK DOUBLE BARREL AIR:
    Was going to save this for my DH rig but I had the chance to tested it out on a Mojo HD. It was awesome. Felt so plush, yet still firm riding uphill. So looking forward to testing/riding it on my Nomad this weekend.

CCDBside.jpg

Weight is pretty good too. 528g.
    CCDBweight.jpg
    My DHX 5.0 weighing in at 458g
    DHXweight.jpg

I bought a spare one. Just in case......
    TwoCCDB.jpg

Yeah right :lol: thats my nephews one. :)

FORMULA RO BRAKES & 2PCS/FLOATING ROTORS 180/203MM:
    I have been using these brakes for over 2months now. Wow!. So good. So much power, and modulation. I thought my "The One" where good but these are in a different league. Marginally heavier but worth it plus the chromo "bling" look,nice 8)
    IMG_2217.jpg

The cap is now on the outside.
    IMG_2218.jpg

Cooling fins on the contact pads. 8)
    IMG_2223.jpg

Much larger master cylinder too. I guess more power and less chance of fade.
    IMG_2216.jpg
    Liking the craftsmanship. :)
    IMG_2252.jpg

Formula 2pcs/floating rotor. This is a 180mm. Still waiting on the 203mm rotor. Got this as my old first gen one had a annoying "ting ting" sound which was coming from the floating bolts. Glad they fixed the problem by re designing it.
    IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg

ENVE DH BAR 800mm and POINT ONE RACING SPLIT SECOND 50 Stem
    Going for a more DH feel. And helping my riding style, I when with a longer bar and a shorter stem.
    I cut the bar to 760mm. It felt just right for me.
    IMG_0921.jpg

Weight is un cut at 800mm
    IMG_0945.jpg

THE STEM.
    IMG_2321.jpg
    Weight is with custom black/gold ti bolts.
    IMG_2212.jpg
    My old carbon Enve 75mm stem.
    IMG_2226.jpg

No top cap, to give it more stiffest.
    IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg

And finally the Fox D.O.S.S SEATPOST (30.9mm with 100mm of travel) Received this yesterday.
    Liking the leveler control. As you can have it left or right. Top of the bar or bottom. Plus three level of adjustment.
    Dosbox.jpg

Weight of the Fox post with standard parts.
    dossweight.jpg

Weight of Reverb post.
    I still like my Reverb post but I was having afew problems with it. Got two warrant jobs done with it and I think its still not working to well. Plus getting fed up with the amount of play with the saddle/post.
    Reverbweight.jpg

Weight of the Fox post that is going on the Nomad. Trying to save some some grams. Not too bad (over 50grams) :)
    Replace the housing/cable with Jagwire/Power Corz cable. Then changed seat clamp with Ti parts and gold alloy bolts for the bar clamp.
    customDOSSpost.jpg

More pics to come....... :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Must remember to put bib on when clicking on your thread...drool.. :wink:

Loving the stem! Expecting a review of that Fox dropper too :wink:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    jesus greygoose, what do you do as a job ? and can i get some of that action...

lovely bits, loving the CC DB
  • HarryK
    HarryK Posts: 84
    Wow!! Thats an insane build- nearly my perfect AM build, also makes my current build seem pretty boring..!
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    Suprised you've had problems with your Reverbs post movement. Haven't had any movement in mine, is yours also a 2012 version, or an earlier one. The lever on the Fox Doss is waaay to big IMO. Also if you no longer require your Enve stem, than i'm sure I could find it a good home :) Although I'm more of a XC, verging into AM bod, your build is a thing of beauty.
    So will a 29er or a 650b be on your radar in the future :?: Or will it only be a DH rig. I'm thinking of a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc for myself.
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • Xgreygoose
    Must remember to put bib on when clicking on your thread...drool.. :wink:
    Loving the stem! Expecting a review of that Fox dropper too :wink:
    bib bib bib peep... :) Yes, Point 1 do make some pretty good stuff. Me too, looking forward to testing it out on Sunday.
    DCR00 wrote:
    I work for Swire Pacific. You want a job? :) CCDB Air. Feels great so far. Looking to fine tuning it.
    HarryK wrote:
    Wow!! Thats an insane build- nearly my perfect AM build, also makes my current build seem pretty boring..!
    Cheers mate
    pioneer68 wrote:
    Suprised you've had problems with your Reverbs post movement. Haven't had any movement in mine, is yours also a 2012 version, or an earlier one. The lever on the Fox Doss is waaay to big IMO. Also if you no longer require your Enve stem, than i'm sure I could find it a good home :) Although I'm more of a XC, verging into AM bod, your build is a thing of beauty.
    So will a 29er or a 650b be on your radar in the future :?: Or will it only be a DH rig. I'm thinking of a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc for myself.
    I agree on the reverb post. SRAM made it better with the newer one. Mine's the first version :( , which I heard everywhere had the same problem(s). I did think about getting the newer version (which was better) with the black ring. Thought it would be a bit silly getting the same one so I waited till the new fox DOSS post came out. As I heard some good reviews about it. I too, was not to keen on the big lever but its grown on me. What I do like about it, is its diversity on where you can put in anywhere on the bar. Which I always thought SRAM should have done.
    Thought about 29er but saving myself for new a DH rig. Waiting till near the end of the year. Newer models will be out then. Also maybe a road bike but I know I will get carried away with it. Parts are so expensive :lol:
    But I do have a new build already done. Just waiting to take some pic's of it. :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    I work for Swire Pacific. You want a job? :) CCDB Air. Feels great so far. Looking to fine tuning it.

i think i might be missing a few key skills in engine building :wink:

i could be your official bike tester :P
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    doesn't matter (was a question :) )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice build,

I remember your last wip that dale
  • Xgreygoose
    doesn't matter (was a question :) )

What was the question? Happy to help (if I can) :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Very nice build,
    I remember your last wip that dale

Thanks, yes still going strong my Flash and Scalpel.
    Here is recent photo of the Flash. Getting ready for a 120km epic night ride. :)
    Flash2012.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Anonymous
    Yep that's the bad boy ... Awesome bikes.
  • ricardo_smooth
    Was gonna talk about rear mech cage lengths, but decided medium cage limits to 34t front ring max so went for long. How did you find the DHX over the rp23? Looking at future options on my own nomad
  • Xgreygoose
    Was gonna talk about rear mech cage lengths, but decided medium cage limits to 34t front ring max so went for long. How did you find the DHX over the rp23? Looking at future options on my own nomad
    Oh I see. Same same. I too bought the a long cage version. IMO its better, well for me anyway :) The only thing I was worried about, was clearance for the ground. Lucky I was able to see the difference. Which wasn't much. What RD did you get?
    SAM_0281.jpg

The DHX and RP23 are very similar in alot of ways. But the DHXAir just had more to give. More plush yet firm with flick of a switch when climbing. The only downside (for some people) is the fine tuning of it and the extra weight which was never a problem for me. :wink:
    The reason for me to upgrade to the CCDB Air was I wanted more an aggressive/ DH feel to my Nomad. 8)
    BTW if you are looking for a very newish 2012 DHX Air or 2012 RP23 for your Nomad give me a PM :):wink:
    IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    CCDBweight.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • ricardo_smooth
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    Oh I see. Same same. I too bought the a long cage version. IMO its better, well for me anyway :) The only thing I was worried about, was clearance for the ground. Lucky I was able to see the difference. Which wasn't much. What RD did you get?

BTW if you are looking for a very newish 2012 DHX Air or 2012 RP23 for your Nomad give me a PM :)

I've gone XTR Shadow plus mate, the XT one is fine shifting wise, but even with the E13 DRS I have dropped the chain a few times and wanted to erradicate the problem.

With regards to the rear shock.... If you're looking for a very new 2012 rp23 you can give ME a PM :lol:

With the reasons you have gone for a CCDB Air. I think i'm better off saving the pennies and doing the same tbh. Told myself in January when I got the bike that I wouldn't spend on new bits........how wrong I was :P

Thanks for the replies mate
  • Nelson56
    Nelson56 Posts: 79
    Thats so nice
    Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12858984
  • Xgreygoose
    Some full body shots with the new components.

nomadccdb2.jpg

Super happy with the new rear shock. CCDB Air. Took 3-4 rides to get it setup the way I like it. :D
    mudccdb.jpg

Fox D.O.S.S seatpost
    Very happy with the post so far. Absolutely zero play which I'm very happy about. Also liking the three modes/levels of drop. I use to always fiddle about trying to find a good middle position on the Reverb.
    postfull.jpg
    post1.jpg

Seat clamp/bolts is very much like the solid Thomson post. 8) :)
    postcloseup.jpg

The simple, big ass, solid remote lever. Took a wee while to get use to the size, coming from a Reverb remote. But starting to really like it. A solid feel.
    trigger2.jpg
    trigger1.jpg

GOPR14781.jpg
    GOPR14861.jpg
    GOPR14801.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    firstly, awesome build and you really must be your LBS's best customer!
    I am glad to see some pics of it dirty, as you said earlier on in the post - your not one of these guys with a lush bike who doesnt ride it. Kudos for that.
    Have you had any issues with the XTR groupset? it seems to be the one constant with this build - cheers
  • Anonymous
    Another very nice build proper bike tart.
    Loving the ti gold bling its a must have, I'm needing more bling for the Epic now lol

Very nice bike buddy as always ;)