Too early for a Tour thread?

Comments

• domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    FF, just reading through those links. Thanks again for being a great source of info.

AC 4+ mins to win?
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    I'm looking forward to hoogerland and his mad mad mad attacks and voeckler doing what he does best. It looks like a cracking first week. Can't wait.

And bastille day finishes with 3 climbs a 1st and 2 HC's...yahoo.

I'd love to see Vockler in yellow again. He's class!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dom, not sure of the original source of that photo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    abf48065a1050fb418d48e462c8fe278-getty-_.jpg

b3a492c6b5bcf5a93bc7757f0a933520-getty-_.jpg

80af4fbc88291ef45e221948e4969faa-getty-_.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tour presentation - 2.45 on Eurosport for those interested. Sadly, the Dutch bloke who asked all the embarrassing questions last year won't be doing it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Who says the tour organisers don't have a sense of humour - Saxo Bank and Leopard are staying in the same hotel for the opening weekend. Hah!
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    Who says the tour organisers don't have a sense of humour - Saxo Bank and Leopard are staying in the same hotel for the opening weekend. Hah!

The Leopard staff should have a barbeque with some really big steaks, just to wind up Bertie.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Todays presentation will be held here:

actu_puydufou_300.jpg
  • Doobz
    Any idea if the press conference that is going on right now is live?
    cartoon.jpg
  • andyp
    Time for a caption competition:

http://twitpic.com/5j37b9
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Carlton Kirby is even getting the names wrong in the presentation when the name is on screen. FFS
  • Doobz
    andyp wrote:

whats the prize?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Crowd booing Bertie as he is introduced at the Team Presentation. Good to see they aren't partisan or anything.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pokerface wrote:
    Crowd booing Bertie as he is introduced at the Team Presentation. Good to see they aren't partisan or anything.

It is France.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:

Jim Ochowitz tells an investigator that he has never met anyone called Johan Bruyneel.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Carlton Kirby is even getting the names wrong in the presentation when the name is on screen. FFS
    :?
    'There is Contador, speaking in Italian'.....

I do actually think Carlton is priceless for a channel like Europsort which works with a relatively small number of commentators on a large number of different, sometimes exotic, sports. Carlton has mastered the ability to tell the most complete nonsense with a voice of authority :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Quick-Step-630x890.jpg

Fabu and his new killer machine
    speed.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Quick-Step-630x890.jpg

Fabu and his new killer machine
    speed.jpg

Mechanical doping- anyone else notice the Mercedes logo... lol
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Wow, enter Tommy Voeckler in a chariot .
    A whole lot of horsesh*t and French cheese make for a stinker of a team presentation.
    Too tacky by far.

I hope them froggies didn't upset our Frenchie too much by booing Mr Cont.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Well that was a bit awkward wasn't it. Noval was clearly affected by the booing.
    Wow, enter Tommy Voeckler in a chariot..
    Too tacky by far.
    No - exactly as tacky as it should be. i loved it.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Pokerface wrote:
    It is France.
    Are only certified French nationals allowed into the team presentation or something?

In the past I have even seen bad behaviour by German and Catalan fans at the Tour being attributed to 'The French'. :roll:

Whatever, perhaps the fans, whoever they are, just don't like the idea of someone riding the event who might win and then be banned because of the dope tests he failed last year. An understandable standpoint given the way dopers have pissed all over the race in recent years.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

Whatever, perhaps the fans, whoever they are, just don't like the idea of someone riding the event who might win and then be banned because of the dope tests he failed last year. An understandable standpoint given the way dopers have pissed all over the race in recent years.

It's a selective standpoint, given that they were quite happy to cheer Vino, Basso, Millar....
    As for someone winning then getting banned: Why assume that Contador is the only rider who could fulfill both criteria?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2011
    It's a selective standpoint, given that they were quite happy to cheer Vino, Basso, Millar....As for someone winning then getting banned: Why assume that Contador is the only rider who could fulfill both criteria?
    Which other rider / potential winner will be starting this years Tour whilst in the middle of a doping investigation?

To be honest, in the five plus years I have lived in France I have found the French to be vastly less partisan than the average Brit. Which might well be why those supposed 'partisan French' still gave their support to Vino who is from Kazakhstan, Basso who is an Italian and Millar who is a Brit...
  • Doobz
    127b0a6199e13a135185dcea409c66c0-getty-_.jpg

e2a: Wiggins was pretty funny when questioned in french..
    84d6c433f39d3854ada8b0a700e5f58f-getty-_.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    someone winning then getting banned
    awesome, selectively quoting BikingBernie.

I think InnerRing is on the money on this issue (except I suspect that the kind of people who attend the team presentation probably do know the details of his case). Regardless of his guilt, and the systemic failures that swirl around him, Contador has not exactly engaged the public on the issue. Today was not unpredictable - people predicted it. A smile, three words of French, and something along the lines of "I am innocent and I'm sorry that institutional delays have stopped me proving it already" would have gone a long way in the 9 months that the public have had to form a view. But nothing. Just press release exhortations about his rights. Miss the point, get booed.
  • Doobz
    fkin ell.. Bertie seems to like giving away watches..
    Nice present from @albertocontador to each of the #Saxo-sungard riders!!

http://yfrog.com/z/h0vkjkdj
    cartoon.jpg
  • andyp
    Tacky shit, although I bet that doesn't stop FF buying one. :wink:

Things must be bad if Contador feels he has to buy his team mates a gift before the race has even started!
  • RichN95.
    Which other rider / potential winner will be starting this years Tour whilst in the middle of a doping investigation?

Quite a few Lampre riders.

(Although that's a bit different)
  • Doobz
    Live HTC press conference on right now 10:15am

http://www.highroadsports.com/home
    cartoon.jpg