Too early for a Tour thread?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
edited July 2011 in Pro race
The commutershave already started a thread.

So, time for the pro-race highbrow (and no doubt dope chat filled :roll: )thread.

Firstly, who's going to win Yellow? (boring question)

Who's going to win green? (more interesting) Has anyone taken a look at the positioning of the intermediate sprints? Does anyone think a puncheur of a sprinter who can go uphill will take it from the pure-flat Cavendish's of this world, even with the new points system?

Who's going to win the polka dot? (the ££££££££ question).

Do you agree with the new Polka dot points system?

Who's going to have a good tour? Who's going to flop more than mine at the sight of a granny sunbathing topless?

And lastly, and most importantly of all - how will the racing pan out, and will it actually be exciting?

Comments

• bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Firstly, who's going to win Yellow? (boring question)

Evans. His last chance... probably.
    Who's going to have a good tour?

Gesink and a random Frenchman who wins a stage.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    its a shame guardini isnt riding, would have been a cracking points competition.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    its a shame guardini isnt riding, would have been a cracking points competition.

He wouldn't do anything. He's only won one race over 150km and is yet to ride in a ProTour event. He's a long way off GT standard at the moment. This isn't the Tour of Turkey.

As to the points competition as a whole, it's hard to tell. Cavendish, Petacchi and Greipel have all said they're not bothered about chasing intermediate points and are focusing purely on stages, but I don't believe them. What happens at the sprint point on stage 1 will be interesting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    What have they done to the polkadot points system then?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2011
    What have they done to the polkadot points system then?

C+P from Inner Ring: http://inrng.com/2011/06/tour-de-france ... -newrules/

King of the Mountains jersey
    Big changes here. Lower rated climbs now get fewer points, with only the first rider to the top of a fourth category climb getting one measly point. There are still 20 points for a hors catégorie climb but whereas 10 riders over the top used to get points, now only the first six get points and even then the sixth rider gets just two points. Plus points are doubled for the four HC summit category finishes.

King of the mountains points

HC: 20,16,12,8,4,2
    Cat 1: 10,8,6,4,2,1
    Cat 2: 5,3,2,1
    Cat 3: 2,1
    Cat 4: 1
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Hmm I hadn't heard about the KOM changes-I suppose it means that it is more likely that a GC contendor will take that jersey then.....perhaps Cunego?

I think the Green jersey will be quite interesting too.....if Cav or any of the other sprinters are really serious about it, then the race may get controlled alot more in the early kms.....after seeing his TdS form, Sagan would be a very good shout for Green though in my opinion.

I'm getting married on the 9th and fly off into the sun a few days later, so will miss most of it this year-you watch, it'll be a classic :x
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Thanks Rich.

Difficult to see if that will make the KoM more competitive. The real problem is surely that all the top climbers are riding for GC. I suppose if one or more of them gets a sniff of it then that might change, but with only the first six getting points then they're even more likely to be looking for a podium...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Tom BB wrote:
    .....after seeing his TdS form, Sagan would be a very good shout for Green though in my opinion.

Absolutely no chance of him winning it in my opinion. I feel he's lacking something....

(....that something being a place on the start list)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    Absolutely no chance of him winning it in my opinion. I feel he's lacking something....

(....that something being a place on the start list)

Liquigas have named their squad?
  • TMR
    I'd like to see Basso do well this year. I don't think he can win, but perhaps top 3.

I'd like to see Big George hold yellow for a day :D
  • RichN95.
    Liquigas have named their squad?

Not as far as I know, but it's been reported that Sagan won't be doing the Tour and will be at the Vuelta.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not as far as I know, but it's been reported that Sagan won't be doing the Tour and will be at the Vuelta.

Aah, thanks.

Watched Stage 3 of the TdS last night - was amazed at his climbing ability for someone with such a large frame. Amazing way to win the stage.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Didn't realise that he wasn't riding-shame really, as he's obviously got form at the minute.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    sagan is my tip for the next positive test, i think Andy or Frank will win polka dot and contador yellow assuming he gets through the tour without getting thrown out for doping i can see it happening
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I don't care who wins as long as Rabo spoil it for those cheating Luxenburgers!!! :twisted:
    Half man, Half bike
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I don't care who wins as long as Rabo spoil it for those cheating Luxenburgers!!! :twisted:

+1
    :twisted:
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    Arkibal wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

+1

see its more than just a race its a soap opera. I love it (but not as much as the Vuelta or Giro)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's never too early for a Tour thread, especially with less than a fortnight to go.

In the old days we'd have had a dozen Armstrong-related Tour threads by now.
  • Ok, just started a league for us forumites
    Here's the league number 6910
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Want to play Tour team manager?
    Bruyneel has named Horner, Kloeden, Leipheimer and Brajkovic for RadioShack, but is asking 'fans' to let him know via Facebook who should get the other 5 places. He's named 10 riders to chose from.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Thanks Rich.

Difficult to see if that will make the KoM more competitive. The real problem is surely that all the top climbers are riding for GC. I suppose if one or more of them gets a sniff of it then that might change, but with only the first six getting points then they're even more likely to be looking for a podium...

That is indeed the point. They're looking for a system which would actually reward the best climber - so in all likelihood the winner will come from the top 5, especially considering the course.

You wonder if a very good climber who has one stinker might not worry too much - he might then be given enough leash to get away on the climbs alongside the GC guys and steal a few points.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    WTF do commuters know about Pro riding???? :lol:

Unfortunately Bertie will walk it and then have the title taken by the CAS ruling thus making the first British winner of the TDF.

Cav for green.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    BarryBonds wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

+1

see its more than just a race its a soap opera. I love it (but not as much as the Vuelta or Giro)

Its almost like WWE, will we get backstage cameras where Gesink storms onto the Leopard bus and flamboyantly throws a bidon at the Schlecks who try their hardest to act shocked?

I think the KOM points look a bit like the placings won't be very close, and probably therefore not as exciting. I liked it last year when Charteau won it and I got the impression the competion rewarded riders outside GC who were prepared to attack in the stages to get the points

I think Gesink will do well, he seemed like he was testing the waters at the Dauphine. Is Vino riding? He will probably be looking to go out with a bang eh? Jerome Coppel? Is Gadret riding? I guess two grand tours might be a bit much...
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    David Moncoutie for the KOM. He's done it in Spain so why not Le Tour.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I see America's next big thing, 33 year old Tom Danielson, will be making his Tour debut.

What are the odds that he crashes and breaks a collarbone before the race even starts? :twisted:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    andyp wrote:
    I see America's next big thing, 33 year old Tom Danielson, will be making his Tour debut.

What are the odds that he crashes and breaks a collarbone before the race even starts? :twisted:
    But hey, man, he's stoked. Totally.

I wonder if Werthers would sponsor a grey jersey competition for best old rider?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    For the KOM the effect could also well be, with the very heavy focus on points for the 4 Hors Categorie finish climbs that a certain dominant climber/GC rider takes the polka dot jersey by default, without really aiming for it. If Bertie rides like in the Giro and finishes in the top 3 on all those 4 final climbs, simply because the GC demands it, and happens to collect some points on other big climbs along the way, he could well bag that as well as yellow.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    FJS wrote:
    For the KOM the effect could also well be, with the very heavy focus on points for the 4 Hors Categorie finish climbs that a certain dominant climber/GC rider takes the polka dot jersey by default, without really aiming for it. If Bertie rides like in the Giro and finishes in the top 3 on all those 4 final climbs, simply because the GC demands it, and happens to collect some points on other big climbs along the way, he could well bag that as well as yellow.

I’m thinking it looks like a number of riders are going to be at a similar level this year in terms of the GC and general climbing, therefore the KOM is going to be very open.

At what point does a higher place on the classification overtake the KOM jersey? Would a top 5 finish be better than say coming 8th but with the jersey?

Also hope Gilbert will go for the green jersey...
    Mañana
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    andyp wrote:
    He is? He's not in the provisional starter list I've seen, supposedly up to date as of this morning.

Although having said that, maybe the list isn't up to date, because it lists Swift for the TdF whereas I've read he's taking part in the Tour of Austria, which starts the same weekend.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    knedlicky wrote:
    He is? He's not in the provisional starter list I've seen, supposedly up to date as of this morning.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/daniels ... -de-france