Too early for a Tour thread?

Comments

• domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Speaking of Millar (elsewhere), are we to expect more Millar sneaking off the front with 2km to go, and being reeled in with 800m to go?

Or will he be busy trying to muscle out the HTC train for Farrarrrrrr and Hushovd?

"Big" Julian Dean "The Champion of New Zealand" will be there for more fracas with Renshaw
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Speaking of Millar (elsewhere), are we to expect more Millar sneaking off the front with 2km to go, and being reeled in with 800m to go?

Or will he be busy trying to muscle out the HTC train for Farrarrrrrr and Hushovd?

I reckon we will see that at least once, and also one break caught with 800m to go too...
    Mañana
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    What abou the first stage winner? Gilbert seems to be the favourite, and rightly so, but Vino really wants to wear the yellow jersey and this may be his last chance.
    Mañana
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pb21 wrote:
    What abou the first stage winner? Gilbert seems to be the favourite, and rightly so, but Vino really wants to wear the yellow jersey and this may be his last chance.

Gilbert by this much:

<
    >
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    What about Goss or Thor for Stage 1?
  • domhopson
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Goss has said he wants to get a jersey

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/goss-chasing-yellow-green-or-white-jersey-in-tour-debut

I don't see Thor Hushovd winning a stage.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    domhopson wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Really? He's won stages in the last 5 Tours (and has 8 stages in total). I'd argue that, after Cavendish, he's as close to a certainty as you'll find to win a stage.
  • domhopson
    He's wearing the Rainbow jersey and seems to have the curse that comes with it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    domhopson wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Really? He's won stages in the last 5 Tours (and has 8 stages in total). I'd argue that, after Cavendish, he's as close to a certainty as you'll find to win a stage.

He's not his team's primary sprinter anymore, though. His chances will be limited.

Stage 1 is possibly his best chance, but I don't think the finish is as tough as some are making out. Most of the sprinters will be able to make it up there near the front, (I don't even think Cav will be that far back).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Thor rides smart, I reckon he'll get a stage. As for the first stage it's hard to see anyone matching Gilbert.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stage 1 is possibly his best chance, but I don't think the finish is as tough as some are making out. Most of the sprinters will be able to make it up there near the front, (I don't even think Cav will be that far back).

Agree

Despite being flagged as a "Cat 4 climb", the last km is, according to the Tour website, approximately 5%. The last 4 km from the start of the drag averages about 3%. Its probably less severe than the finish to the Worlds last year. I think Gilbert will be saving himself for Stage 4 and his birthday.

Stage 1 will suit Thor - it would have even suited Pippo if he was riding (though he'd probably still balls up the gallop).

Funny how no-one is mentioning Boonen (I'm looking at you, Rick Chasey) - particularly given his "uphill" attack in the Tour De Suisse

PROFILKMS.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:

Funny how no-one is mentioning Boonen (I'm looking at you, Rick Chasey) - particularly given his "uphill" attack in the Tour De Suisse

I believe I did on the commuter chat's TdF thread, but post National Champs, it's pretty tough to see past Philip.

He pretty much demolished Tom. It was a sad sight. :(
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I believe I did on the commuter chat's TdF thread, but post National Champs, it's pretty tough to see past Philip.

Cheer up. Perhaps Vansevenant will turn out to be OPL's "Wily Voet"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:

Cheer up. Perhaps Vansevenant will turn out to be OPL's "Wily Voet"

Ah, I take no pleasure in that.
  • rick_chasey
    Interesting choice of 'stage' based bets on Unibet. There are only 3 to choose from, and they are:

10:10
    Tour 2011 - Stage 12: A French Rider to win
    Will it happen?
    Win
    Yes
    No
    22-Jul-2011
    Cycling > Tour > Stages
    10:00
    Tour 2011 - Stage 19: A Dutch Rider to win
    Will it happen?
    Win
    Yes
    No
    10:00
    Tour 2011 - Stage 19: Winner to Wear the Polka Dot Jersey
    Will it happen?
    Win
    Yes
    No
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I didnt want to put Gripel down for Stage 1 But the big ol gorilla has a chance of stamping his way to the 1st Stage win.
  • rick_chasey
    Check out Unibet's odds for Contador winning the classification.

Tour 2011 - General Classification

Will the rider win this classification?
    Contador, A
    Yes
    No
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    pb21 wrote:
    Peter Sagan or John Degenkolb, I'd say - perfect for them
  • RichN95.
    FJS wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

I can guarantee neither of them will win. They'll both be a long way off the front. About 400 miles off the front.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

I can guarantee neither of them will win. They'll both be a long way off the front. About 400 miles off the front.
    shhhh
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Seems like in France they are stopping and searching any team cars, trucks and vans hoping to find doping substances.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1295/Tour-De-F ... tart.dhtml
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    Doobz wrote:
    Seems like in France they are stopping and searching any team cars, trucks and vans hoping to find doping substances.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1295/Tour-De-F ... tart.dhtml

Surely no-one's that stupid.

Still, they'll probably take great pleasure in ripping the Sky bus to pieces.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    leopard%2Btrek.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Slipstream sports sneakpeak at Tour jersey...

TDF_jersey_sneakpeak.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Slipstream sports sneakpeak at Tour jersey...

TDF_jersey_sneakpeak.jpg

That's good. I'll be able to recognise them easily from that if it's a seriously foggy day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    That's good. I'll be able to recognise them easily from that if it's a seriously foggy day.

It's a real disappointment to all of us with HD TVs.
  • frenchfighter
    http://www.grahamwatson.com/view/viewmain.html

http://inrng.com/2011/06/andy-schleck-t ... #more-3827

Remember that Contador has Riis. And Riis is the best. He also knows the Schlecks inside out and will use that to Contador's advantage...down to knowing ticks showing them suffering; hidden to all others.

If Contador hadn't raced the Giro he would demolish Schleck. If it will be close it will only be because of inevitable and unknown fatigue or luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4GnS5RyNbY

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-t ... -obsession

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/6/28/224 ... ns-preview
    Contador is the Greatest
  • domhopson
    leopard%2Btrek.jpg

FF where did you get that snap from?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I'm looking forward to hoogerland and his mad mad mad attacks and voeckler doing what he does best. It looks like a cracking first week. Can't wait.

And bastille day finishes with 3 climbs a 1st and 2 HC's...yahoo.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    *taps nose and winks*

Who from Leopard will get Yellow before the TTT?