Tour De France 2011 - The Commuters Spolier Thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,023
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Questions:

I still don't understand how Schleck's group was able to catch up with Contador - is he that slow and just a really good climber. Explain how Schleck's group managed to catchup?

Dunno. Highlights didn't really show that too well. They just arrived Stephen Roche style out of nowhere
    What does the Mavic car with the Mavic branded bikes do?

Neutral service vehicle loaded with Yellow Caad 9s to assist in mechanicals if the team car isn't there. To anwer your next question - toe clips and flat pedals.
    Is Thomas Voeckler clean? No one has mentioned or given a whiff to any doping, while refreshing... really!?

Dunno
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The Schleck/Evans group had more firepower. They worked together for a couple of reasons. They wanted to catch Bertie/Sanchez but also wanted to distance TommyV and Basso.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If they are together at the top of the Izoard then they will finish together / close on the Galibier. It's long but not that steep on the side they are riding up today.

PROFILKMS.gif

Tomorrow last climb will sort out the tour much steeper.

PROFILKMS.gif

Today I'd love to see Europcar set the pace on the first too climbs so Tommy is in the main group at the top of the Izoard, Then some lunatic descending to give him a few seconds at the bottom. However my prediction is AC will attack on the first climb then try and stay out in front or at the very least drop everyone bar the lead contenders as any with a few team mates left for the Izoard and Galibier will have an advantage.

I've also lost a lot of respect for the Schelks after yesterday interviews. There's a competition for best climber it's called King of the Mountain, so if you can't go down hill try and win that instead. A GC rider should be the best overall and not just the best climber. Now stop moaning and go out and win it. Personally yesterday's decent was some of the best TV of the whole tour. I'd love to see a downhill TT one year.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Depends on which way the wind blows...

Both occasions I've been down the Lautaret, there's been a tough ol' headwind, which means they'll be doing a good pace up it if they have a tailwind today. Ideally, the Izoard will split the field, so the GC contenders won't have any teammates from Briancon onwards, so will have to work for themselves up the Lautaret and Galibier.

EDIT: Evans to win.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Depends on which way the wind blows...

Both occasions I've been down the Lautaret, there's been a tough ol' headwind, which means they'll be doing a good pace up it if they have a tailwind today. Ideally, the Izoard will split the field, so the GC contenders won't have any teammates from Briancon onwards, so will have to work for themselves up the Lautaret and Galibier.
    I've descended down that side of the Galibier three times and had a headwind each time. Hardly exhaustive data I'll admit but...

Look for fireworks after the Lautaret turn, gets steeper after that. I also hope the teams are gone before the start of the galibier #trueracing
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,023
    Sketchley wrote:
    Tomorrow last climb will sort out the tour much steeper.

PROFILKMS.gif

I think tomorrow will be a damp squib(or squid). At least I hope so. My niece had the damn cheek to be born 1 year ago on Friday and her parents think celebrating this should override the Alpe Dhuez stage of the Tour.

I've also lost a lot of respect for the Schelks

That view would seem to be universal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Schleckly - Even though its not massively steep, and they're likely to have a tailwind, its a long old slog and as JG said there's enough gradient from halfway up for Bertie or Schlecks to make an attack. The riders think the Galibier is going to decide the tour - that says it all. The Alpe is tough but relatively short - enough to make massive inroads in time?

I'm going for Voeckler to lose the jersey today. He's been outstanding so far but these climbs are differrent class to the ones that have gone before. Reckon Bertie will take the stage but Evans close enough to take the yellow.
  • jzed
    Basso's 22/1 for a stage win - good outside bet?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,267
    JZed wrote:
    Basso's 22/1 for a stage win - good outside bet?

Nah.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think the impact of the Galibier today will depend on how hard the racing has been up to then. The onus is on the Schlecks and Basso to keep things hard on the first two HC's in the hope that there will be tired legs on the Galibier and a chance for major selection. Evans can just hold steady, Contador may feel that he has a chance of taking sufficient time on Evans on the final climb, Sanchez will be happy to help Bertie / go for stage win / podium - I get the feeling he doesn't believe he can win overall.
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    The Alpe is tough but relatively short - enough to make massive inroads in time?

Enough for Sastre to have an advantage over Evans in 2008.
    I'm going for Voeckler to lose the jersey today. He's been outstanding so far but these climbs are differrent class to the ones that have gone before.

Yep, I think the teams will keep the pace high-ish* to wear him out, then try to gap him on the Izoard.

*I've not checked the live feed, so this could be nonsense.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:

True - that was a couple of minutes wasn't it. I'd like someone to make a bit more of a race of it before the last climb. There's got to be potential for someone to make inroads toady and on the two Galibier climbs.

EDIT: Any reason why they don't do the longer Marmotte route? Try and keep it together for a race up the Alpe?
  • cjcp
    If things are still in the balance today (and I think they will be), ADH should be great fun. Bertie will then have to attack the lot of them to gain enough of an advantage before the TT.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

True - that was a couple of minutes wasn't it. I'd like someone to make a bit more of a race of it before the last climb. There's got to be potential for someone to make inroads toady and on the two Galibier climbs.

EDIT: Any reason why they don't do the longer Marmotte route? Try and keep it together for a race up the Alpe?[/quote]

Because they are girls.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    An idea for a drinking game: drink a shot every time Paul Sherwen says(apparently in relation to anyone one the screen who's riding a bike) "He's a great descender", "He can descend with the very best", "He's a crack descender", "He's very good going downhill", or "He's one of the very best [going downhill]".

You'll be battered in five minutes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    cjcp wrote:
    An idea for a drinking game: drink a shot every time Paul Sherwen says(apparently in relation to anyone one the screen who's riding a bike) "He's a great descender", "He can descend with the very best", "He's a crack descender", "He's very good going downhill", or "He's one of the very best [going downhill]".

Where and when?
    --
    Chris

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    cjcp wrote:

Down a pint for "a great job of work" or "in the sport of professional cycle racing" - I mean seriously, who talks like that?!
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    JZed wrote:
    Schleckly - Even though its not massively steep, and they're likely to have a tailwind, its a long old slog and as JG said there's enough gradient from halfway up for Bertie or Schlecks to make an attack. The riders think the Galibier is going to decide the tour - that says it all. The Alpe is tough but relatively short - enough to make massive inroads in time?

I'm going for Voeckler to lose the jersey today. He's been outstanding so far but these climbs are differrent class to the ones that have gone before. Reckon Bertie will take the stage but Evans close enough to take the yellow.

Today's stage may well decide the tour, my point is that if they are still together at the top of the Izoard then then it won't.
    --
    Chris

• cjcp
    Just seen the snow at the top of the Galibier. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    Sketchley wrote:
    Today's stage may well decide the tour, my point is that if they are still together at the top of the Izoard then then it won't.

I'm going to be very disappointed if someone doesn't make a real move to win this TDF today.

Watching the Alps is giiving me ideas - time for another trip.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    cjcp wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

EDIT: Any reason why they don't do the longer Marmotte route? Try and keep it together for a race up the Alpe?

Because they are girls.

It's funny because it's true. :D
  • jzed
    Would seem either ITV4 player has gone down or IT have shut it down. I'm going with the latter.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    It seemed to go down on me (ooer missus) yesterday afternoon.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sketchley
    http://www.tvcatchup.com/watch.html?c=10

you'll need an account but it's free.
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    Sketchley wrote:
    http://www.tvcatchup.com/watch.html?c=10

you'll need an account but it's free.

Mmm, suspect they are watching me - thats been blocked.
  • sketchley
    Tempted to go for beer in LookMumNoHands and watch it there..... Not doing much work as it is....
    --
    Chris

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Schleck the younger has gone.

And ITV was on a break at the time :roll:
  • jzed
    Fair play to him - didn't think he had the balls to do it - must have had a bowl of Weetabix this morning.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    No reaction from the rest either. :shock:

Schleck's tour, then.