Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Great win Wiggo... bit more tapering needed for the Tour... but well done son!

Did nobody want to have a go for the win today? Dull stage...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Brilliant Wiggo great ride.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The only saving grace was that Harmon wasn't on commentary ... Kirby just mumbles the false platitudes ...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Great result.

People can say its boring but that was a great race in my view. You have to play to your strengths to win and thats what he did.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Brilliant win by Wiggins, bravo and a fantastic ride.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Good ride for Wiggo be good to see what his critics have to say now ( lack of quality riders, all based on holding on after a good TT etc.) but winning one of the biggest stage races outside of the GTs is a great result in anyone's books. Looks like he has some mountain support too Uran did a good ride for him today after EBH effort yesterday possibly add in Lofkvist? Nice ride by Pinot today shame he couldn't take the stage.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,634
    Great stuff, well done Wiggins. Beat some of the big boys. Huge boost of confidence going into the tour.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Brilliant win for Brad! bodes well for a top 10 or better at the tour
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    A solid win for him. I doubt if he'll get on the podium for the TdF, I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Good on Wiggins!

I hope he follows it up and wins Paris-Nice or Basque Country next year.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    tumblr_lmnbmqDLY01qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Getty

Looks like he delivered on his promise :D

37th Pate 8.29
    40th Basso 10.31

Basso just clung on overall though, beating Pate by 20 seconds.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Great ride by Wiggins, he played to his strengths well. Easily the biggest road victory of his career.

It's good news for the national team well, as the points he'll have scored will have cemented GB's place in the top ten and helped towards qualifying a full team for the World Championships.
  • As an Irishman I was onbviously wanting Roche to win, but once he crashed out I put all of my support behind Wiggo

It's an excellent win for him, of course he can't et carried away with it, but it's a great confidence boost none the less

I just hope the English media don't do a "England to win the world cup" kind of thing on him, just leave him be, and let him get on with riding his bike
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    As an Irishman I was onbviously wanting Roche to win, but once he crashed out I put all of my support behind Wiggo

It's an excellent win for him, of course he can't et carried away with it, but it's a great confidence boost none the less

I just hope the English media don't do a "England to win the world cup" kind of thing on him, just leave him be, and let him get on with riding his bike

it's not even worthy of been breaking news on sky sports news so i doubt any british media (other than the cycling lot) will even know he was racing
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does Wiggins have any more? Can he improve over the next few weeks? I think that's the big question.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Purito brings his best form to the wrong race.
    Wiggins looks fine.
    Cadel looks pained.
    JVdB looks eager.
    Vino looks threatening.
    Gesink looks enigmatic.
    Sanchez looks lost.

A Tour climb, climbed in Tour fashion.
    Unsustained attacks made it rather dull.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    To be fair blazing, Toussuire is neither steep or long enough to be truly exciting. It's a diesel engine climb. J Rod was big ringing his attacks.

Quite enjoyed the descent, brought back memories of hitting those speed bumps full pelt!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Very solid ride from Wiggo, he didn't look troubled at all today. I think he's set his stall out for the tour, if his team get the tactics right I reckon he's on for a top 5 finish. Not sure about the podium though.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Wiggins looks fine.
    Cadel looks pained.
    JVdB looks eager.
    Vino looks threatening.
    Gesink looks enigmatic.
    Sanchez looks lost.
    Blazin looks a bit pink (paraphrase: 'no way Wiggins is going to win the Dauphine')

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Great ride by brad shame eurosport spoiled it for me by putting the tennis on yesterday,and my box not recording it,Briain smith really dug kirby out of a few holes as well this week.,not sure what to make of Cadel i think he was riding for second as soon as the time trial was done.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Fantastic win, really pleased for him.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Well done Bradley - He dug in deep on that last climb....just hope he`s not peaked a few weeks too early. Not sure what to read into Cadel Evans form or Basso`s..tho a lot can change in 3-4 weeks. I hope the Tour is a lot closer than the Giro was.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Congrats Bradley! Don't care how he does in the TdF, this win is pretty big in my book. Can anyone tell me the last time a major continental stage race was won by a Brit?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    josame wrote:
    Wiggins looks fine.
    Cadel looks pained.
    JVdB looks eager.
    Vino looks threatening.
    Gesink looks enigmatic.
    Sanchez looks lost.
    Blazin looks a bit pink (paraphrase: 'no way Wiggins is going to win the Dauphine')

Yes, I didn't think he wouldn't try too hard, yesterday.
    He did and it paid off.
    My bad, but I'm not sad.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67
    Zachariah wrote:
    Congrats Bradley! Don't care how he does in the TdF, this win is pretty big in my book. Can anyone tell me the last time a major continental stage race was won by a Brit?

Robert Millar 1990 Dauphine Libere........ Think he won the Tour of Catalonia the year before maybe as well ???
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    Zachariah wrote:

1990.Robert Millar.Criterium du Dauphine Libere
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    pictit wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

1990.Robert Millar.Criterium du Dauphine Libere

Late as usual !!! :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    3rd in Paris-Nice, 1st in Dauphine.

Wiggins is definitely a proper stage racer this season.

Is he good enough for a GT?

I find him difficult to like for whatever reason, but he's definitely interesting - seeing someone learning the trade when the body is in its peak age range.
  • Gazzetta67
    3rd in Paris-Nice, 1st in Dauphine.

Wiggins is definitely a proper stage racer this season.

Is he good enough for a GT?

I find him difficult to like for whatever reason, but he's definitely interesting - seeing someone learning the trade when the body is in its peak age range.

Maybe cos he comes across as a bit "Dour" Like Robert Millar was and now Andy Murray maybe he has some Scottish in him ? :D At Least he`s not as arrogant as Cavendish.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Zachariah wrote:
    Congrats Bradley! Don't care how he does in the TdF, this win is pretty big in my book.

Same here, chuffed to bits for him :)