Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    shakey88 wrote:
    Wiggins may not be a Contador or a Schleck but he is a brit, gives what he can and is the best chance we have for a GT podium at the moment.

He may fail but I for one am right behind him.

Whatever happens this afternoon I am really impressed with Wiggins - he looks lean and very focused.

If he can get top five at the TdF then fantastic - if not then I am sure him and the team will have given it their best.

Chapeau Bradley 8)

+1 Go Bradley!

Agree. At the risk of taking this thread into
    fanboy territory this would be a massive result for Wiggins and Sky especially if he can follow up with a Tour top 10.

I think and hope that Brian Smith called it right yesterday in that Vino and Evans have looked at a similar level to Wiggins so shouldn't be able to take the required time out of him.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    smithy21 wrote:
    I think and hope that Brian Smith called it right yesterday in that Vino and Evans have looked at a similar level to Wiggins so shouldn't be able to take the required time out of him.

Wiggins has a relatively small jump and therefore limited ability to quickly get on wheels - but he has a big aerobic engine so can climb at a high pace for a long time. His problem in the tour will be that the attacks of Schleck and Contador he won't be able to go with, but some of his competitors will, they'll stay in the group longer, Wiggins will be on his own and will lose time. Limiting that - particularly when there are very steep mountains will be Wiggins problem. His 4th place came when there was a team controlling the front a lot in the mountains with a sustained high pace and if that happens again he'll do well. I can't see it happening though, there's no teams strong enough or likely inclined enough unless the Schleck's get 1 and 2 early on and want to do it.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    jibberjim wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Wiggins has a relatively small jump and therefore limited ability to quickly get on wheels - but he has a big aerobic engine so can climb at a high pace for a long time. His problem in the tour will be that the attacks of Schleck and Contador he won't be able to go with, but some of his competitors will, they'll stay in the group longer, Wiggins will be on his own and will lose time. Limiting that - particularly when there are very steep mountains will be Wiggins problem. His 4th place came when there was a team controlling the front a lot in the mountains with a sustained high pace and if that happens again he'll do well. I can't see it happening though, there's no teams strong enough or likely inclined enough unless the Schleck's get 1 and 2 early on and want to do it.

You don't necessarily have to be able to accelerate on climbs to well though, the diesel's that keep on tapping away often come back to the true climbers for all their surges. Horses for courses and all that.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_lmnbmqDLY01qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Getty
    tumblr_lmn1uzkg5f1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Sorry if Im being stupid, but who's the OTHER Sky rider in a white Nat Champs jersey?

Strava is not Zen.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Knees the German champion
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I thought it was Tony Martin in the Sky German champion's jersey...?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    tumblr_lmn1uzkg5f1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

Looks like Geraint is licking Bradley's back in that photo!

:D
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Nice Danny Pate tweet - lol.
    jibberjim wrote:

There'll be plenty of other riders knocking about the top 10/15 in the tour that Wiggo can ride with. Doubt he'll be alone as much as people at the pointy end.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Any news on today's stage? The Cycling News text feed doesn't seem to be working, and I'm stuck at home doing work all weekend. :cry:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Stage has started.

http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_courseCDD.html

We have an 11-man group with a lead of a couple of minutes.

Andrey Zeits (Astana)
    Leonardo Duque and Tristan Valentin (Cofidis)
    Sébastien Minard (Ag2r-La Mondiale)
    Maarten Tjallingii (Rabobank)
    Pierre Rolland (Europcar)
    Alexandre Kolobnev (Katusha)
    Thibaut Pinot (FDJ)
    Imanol Erviti (Movistar)
    Julien Vermote (Quick Step)
    Kristjian Koren (Liquigas)

Duque is the current mountain leader so will be hoping to gather enough points to stop Rodriguez overtaking him.

Of the other jerseys Rodriguez will take the green jersey unless he really cracks today. Coppel is the best young rider with 1.21 over Hermans. Zeits (4.xx minutes) and Rolland (6.xx minutes) could be a threat though if the peloton allows the break too much of a lead. Pinot is 8 minutes back in that competition.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Any news on today's stage? The Cycling News text feed doesn't seem to be working, and I'm stuck at home doing work all weekend. :cry:

About 20km gone. A break of 11 have 2'20

Zeits (AST), Duque, Valentin (COF), Minard (ALM), Tjallingii (RAB), Rolland (EUC), Kolobnev (KAT), Pinot (FDJ) et Erviti (MOV), Koren (LIQ) et Vermote (QST)

Official text feed at www.letour.fr
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thabnk you - it seems from the feed that Basso has a crush on EBH... woooooo.

@ratsbey
  • calvjones wrote:
    Sorry if Im being stupid, but who's the OTHER Sky rider in a white Nat Champs jersey?

It's big G. British RR champion Geraint Thomas
    Over 50mph on Malaucene descent
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    This win will be solely based on the other guys around him having iffy TT's ... Fair enough it will end up in a win but it's hardly a triumph ... If this was Kloden you'd all be bemoaning how boring the race has been ...

More and more I'm hoping Contador gets off with his ban ... At least he adds excitement to one or two stages along tne way ...
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    This win will be solely based on the other guys around him having iffy TT's ... Fair enough it will end up in a win but it's hardly a triumph ... If this was Kloden you'd all be bemoaning how boring the race has been ...

More and more I'm hoping Contador gets off with his ban ... At least he adds excitement to one or two stages along tne way ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • baroid
    baroid Posts: 87
    Hi.

Has anyone got a live video link for todays stage?
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

It's big G. British RR champion Geraint Thomas

No I know that, I'm Welsh :D

It was Knees I'd forgotten about - the German Nat Champion jersey is white with bands. He was shepherding BW yesterday when Big G was shepherding cows!

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones

Has this Dauphine not been exciting enough for you? Gosh

Kern alone has made it worthwhile. Best pain-face ever.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Im fully behind Wiggins in this one, even if he is boring to watch, its nice to see an Englishman win something every now and again.

It would be nice to see him attack some day though....
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    calvjones wrote:

Has this Dauphine not been exciting enough for you? Gosh

Kern alone has made it worthwhile. Best pain-face ever.

+1

Looks like he's having a fit!
  • ratsbeyfus
    Gesink and J Rod have attacked near the summit of the Croix de Fer... dig in Brad.

@ratsbey
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fucking Le mans! Who gives a fuck!?

Put the cycling on, Eurosport.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ratsbeyfus
    Does BW have any Sky ridetrs with him?

@ratsbey
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Uran
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Jeez 24 hours of going around in circles and then they immediately put on a highlights show - just put the bloody cycling on!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    If Johnny fucking herbert does not fuck off I might just kick the fucking tv screen in. AUDI WON! We know. Anyone left at the track they have not interviewed yet?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    anyne else getting the motorbikes from that link? :evil: