Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I even saw his interview in french on Infosport this evening; not bad at all. (But 3 french boys in the first 10; funny end to the classification).
    It is funny how Brad is forgotten on french telly while David Millar has quite a lot of press (might be because Millar has been on the french scene for much longer, since he was amateur). The Beeb on the other hand forget that Millar exists most of the time, if it isn't Sky it's not newsworthy. Strange world!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Year Sastre won he came 20'th in Dauphine

Menchov podiumed last year after coming 25'th.

Basso was 26'th....

So he's on track to finish 4'th :lol:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Bradley-Wiggins-Dauphine-celeb_2609196.jpg
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    great result for Brad. hope he continues to improve for the tour.

It will take something special to go really well at the tour as everyone will lift their game but as a brit, i live in hope.

He really suits yellow too :)
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Gaspard
    Gaspard Posts: 8
    mz_jo - yeah I saw that too. Bradley speaks ze french much better than Millar.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    pictit wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:
    Congrats Bradley! Don't care how he does in the TdF, this win is pretty big in my book. Can anyone tell me the last time a major continental stage race was won by a Brit?

1990.Robert Millar.Criterium du Dauphine Libere

not including the ladies, of course.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    BradleyWigginsPodium_2609231.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice work Wiggins. Riding like a Team Leader.

Cow crash in which Euskaltel's Landa fractured his clavicule:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7do3pCHkj4
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    mz__jo wrote:
    I even saw his interview in french on Infosport this evening; not bad at all. (But 3 french boys in the first 10; funny end to the classification).
    It is funny how Brad is forgotten on french telly while David Millar has quite a lot of press (might be because Millar has been on the french scene for much longer, since he was amateur). The Beeb on the other hand forget that Millar exists most of the time, if it isn't Sky it's not newsworthy. Strange world!

What chance do you have when SKY SPORTS give the 20second mention on their last bit of news of Wiggins victory....... FFS Steve McClaren getting the Notts Forest Job is far more important ....Nice to know that your so called sponsors barely give you a mention only in Britain eh.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ironic that a Spanish rider was brought down by a cow.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    A very determined and competent performance and fantastic result.
    Shows that he is capable of winning races, which play to his strengths (hills, long TT).
    Will Schlecks, Bertie, Menchov et al be worried? Probably not.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Shows that he is capable of winning races, which play to his strengths (hills, long TT).

Menchov certainly won't be. Unless he sees Brad as threat his place on the sofa in July.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I thinking Andy is going to be most worried by the incompetent mechanics at Leopard who seem unable to set of their riders gears properly!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Pross wrote:
    I thinking Andy is going to be most worried by the incompetent mechanics at Leopard who seem unable to set of their riders gears properly!

They Should have Campag Super Record on their bikes anyway rather than that Jap Shyte 8)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

They were most definitely mountains.
  • mz__jo
    Gaspard wrote:
    mz_jo - yeah I saw that too. Bradley speaks ze french much better than Millar.
    Not yet at Sean Kelly's level though. Still he's got time
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    RichN95 wrote:

Menchov certainly won't be. Unless he sees Brad as threat his place on the sofa in July.

Oh yeah - forget GEOX had been canned :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    22cbf50bf55d01703c1819a7f9402626-getty-cycling-fra-dauphine.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    F*ck me! Wiggins won something at last! I'm in shock :shock:

He's still the Tim Henman of the cycling world though :P
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

They Should have Campag Super Record on their bikes anyway rather than that Jap Shyte 8)

It was SRAM last year ... Di2 this ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    F*ck me! Wiggins won something at last! I'm in shock :shock:

He's still the Tim Henman of the cycling world though :P

More Olympic medals than any other Briton in history (joint with Steve Redgrave)
    More Olympic medals than any other male cyclist in history (joint with some American from 1904)
    Six time World Champion

But apart from all that he's done very little.

(Now, here comes the inevitable "no-one cares about track" comment.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

Of course track is important. The 100m final is the pinnacle of Olympic achievement.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    More Olympic medals than any other Briton in history (joint with Steve Redgrave)
    More Olympic medals than any other male cyclist in history (joint with some American from 1904)
    Six time World Champion

I'd hate to disappoint, so who cares about track racing? Really? I'd rather watch paint dry. He is probably the best pursuit rider ever, but that has nothing to do with road racing.

I just don't rate him as a road rider.
  • Turfle
    RichN95 wrote:
    Six time World Champion

I'd hate to disappoint, so who cares about track racing? Really? I'd rather watch paint dry. He is probably the best pursuit rider ever, but that has nothing to do with road racing.

This year he's had a 3rd overall at Paris-Nice, and won the Dauphine overall. You have to rate him a little bit.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    Wiggins is a brlliant Time trialist, and a very good climber. Wiggins's problem is that he is so overated due to his 4th place in the 2009 tour, that when he doesn't live up to highest of expectations he appears as a crap rider. From what i've read the 2010 tour for Wiggins was a major flop, his prep was all wrong, and he was in a shite shape, when the tour started. Wiggins had a good 2009 season, and is having an alright 2011. If 2010 is forgotten he is a relatively good GC contender. He excels in Stage races where there is a long TT, as that is his strength, from the Track. He may never beat Contador or Schleck, but too be honest I reckon if he hits the tour in good shape, he could take a top 10 position, maybe even a podium place. Noone, seems to be showing signs of really challeging contador, but there does seem to be a group of riders challeging for top 10 positions. I reckon Wiggins is one of them.

Think about it, you no it's true
  • TMR
    Turfle wrote:

This year he's had a 3rd overall at Paris-Nice, and won the Dauphine overall. You have to rate him a little bit.

I don't want to sound like a complete @rse, I am pleased for him for his Dauphine win, but that's the first decent result since he had a good day on the bike on one stage of the 2009 Tour.
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:

I don't want to sound like a complete @rse, I am pleased for him for his Dauphine win, but that's the first decent result since he had a good day on the bike on one stage of the 2009 Tour.

One good day?

3rd in the opening TT.
    In the Armstrong/Schleck elite 10ish man group on the stage to Arcalis, behind only Contador and the remnants of the break.
    5th to Verbier, distanced by only Contador and Schleck. Putting time into Evans, Armstrong etc.
    Elite group on the stage over the Saint Bernards.
    5th or 6th in the long TT.
    10th on Ventoux.
  • mz__jo
    RichN95 wrote:
    Six time World Champion

I would much rather pay to go and watch a decent track meeting than stand for free on the side of the road waiting to collect worthless publicity items and see the pack go by in 5 seconds. The only thing wrong with the track is the UCI who want to kill it off.

Brad's problem is that he took everyone by surprise in 2009, a lot of the France Television team didn't know stuff about him so they didn't talk about him and it worked to his advantage. He did well, I think it went a bit to his head, the 2010 route was designed to favour the skills of the Sclecks, not Brad (thank you pro cycling's commercial side), he got a bit knocked about and what was a completely normal situation of a rider on a bad tour got him slated by those who should have known better. Perhaps his preparation wasn't what it should have been but essentially he had a bad tour, happens to loads of good riders. I think that he has learnt, the signs are that his preparation this year has been better. It remains to be seen whether he will do well or not in the TdF, there are a lot things that could go wrong that he has little control over. He is not in the class of Bert or Andy in the GC race but he is at the level of Cadel and Vinny so an outside favourite. I just hope that he holds his rank, rather than thinking he is the successor to Armstrong and Lemond.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited June 2011
    Turfle wrote:

So you don't win a Giro d'Italia prologue win? And beating Fab C in Bavaria? You're hard to please.
  • frenchfighter
    TT are part of Stage racing. I don't advocate them being removed as the quality aspect of being in the Top ten is your ability of various disciplines.

Just for interest though, remove the TT and the top ten goes from:

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 26:40:51
    2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:26
    3 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana 0:01:49
    4 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:02:10
    5 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 0:02:51
    6 Christophe Kern (Fra) Team Europcar 0:03:05
    7 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:30
    8 Kanstantsin Sivtsov (Blr) HTC-Highroad 0:04:14
    9 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Team RadioShack 0:04:22
    10 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 0:04:31

to:

jrod
    vino
    jvb
    wig
    evans
    kern
    peraud
    anker
    voeckler
    sivt

(may be some errors as didnt do too accurately but more or less)

Joaquim, nice work, and two stage wins into the bargain. Great rider for the fans.
    Contador is the Greatest