Pronunciation in cycling

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CiB wrote:

Edit - the one that gets me is the way we've all moved away from a garage being a garr-idge to it being a gur-arge. WTF? And now I hear pasta [pass-tah] referred to as parz-tuh. What's going on?

Definitely garr-idge. Definitely pass-tuh.

@will3 - you're alive, alive-oh! Not allowed to say "dura ace" in my house. It's known to mean "expensive".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    A tenuous link to cycling but here are some from the South African side of the coin...

Bike - bark
    Brown – brawn
    Black – blik
    Mike / Mark – Mark / Mike (no-one ever gets which one I’m talking about)
    Ice cream – arse cream (can be very embarrassing at the Mr Whippy van...)

Not sure how to use them in a sentence? Try this:

Mike rode his blik and brawn bark to get some arse cream for Mark.

Glad the true meaning wasn't lost... :oops:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    How about Veloce? Or maybe that should be Velocé? I've heard it's pronounced more like "ve-loh-chay" but I'd feel a right dick saying it like that out loud. The only way you can really get away with is to put on a fake italian accent for the whole sentence: "Mamma mia, it'sa ve-loh-chay". In real life I'd probably say it how it looks, more like "vel-loss". No idea how you'd say Xenon, Mirage, Record etc in an italian accent.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    pst88 wrote:
    How about Veloce? Or maybe that should be Velocé? I've heard it's pronounced more like "ve-loh-chay" but I'd feel a right dick saying it like that out loud. The only way you can really get away with is to put on a fake italian accent for the whole sentence: "Mamma mia, it'sa ve-loh-chay". In real life I'd probably say it how it looks, more like "vel-loss". No idea how you'd say Xenon, Mirage, Record etc in an italian accent.

I've always said vel-lotch-chey. Now you mention it, I'm defo going to go with the whole "Mamma mia!" thing too. I'll also talk very loudy, very quickly, and waive my arms about extravagently.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    extravagantly.

FTFY
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    From the "What crankset" thread: Miche.

Misch? Mit'che? Mike?

And not quite on bike, but what about every kid from the 70s' favourite supercar: the Countach.

Coon-tack? Count-ash? Cunt-ack? Count-ack (souns like bizarre aerial bombardments to me)?

And when did Porsche become Porscher?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    extravagantly.

FTFY

Oi! Bugger off! No one likes a smartarse!

(Bloody ipad).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'd say coon-tash.

Nice car... bit expensive on fuel, mind.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    cjcp wrote:
    CiB wrote:

@will3 - you're alive, alive-oh! Not allowed to say "dura ace" in my house. It's known to mean "expensive".

nya

had some other stuff to attend to. Rather took some time.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Reckon there's an Italian cycling forum where they're debating the pronunciation of 'Raleigh'?

No, me neither.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Reckon there's an Italian cycling forum where they're debating the pronunciation of 'Raleigh'?

No, me neither.

Course not.

They spend all their time debating how high is too high on the thigh for their tan lines.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    ! Not allowed to say "dura ace" in my house. It's known to mean "expensive".

Not allowed to say "dura ace" in my house, it's known to mean Shimano.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    thank the Lord the welsh don't make cycle components.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    Greg66 wrote:
    From the "What crankset" thread: Miche.

Misch? Mit'che? Mike?

And not quite on bike, but what about every kid from the 70s' favourite supercar: the Countach.

Coon-tack? Count-ash? ****-ack? Count-ack (souns like bizarre aerial bombardments to me)?

And when did Porsche become Porscher?

Well that should be Mi-ké with a short i and a short e, I think. But I bet you'd get some puzzled looks in a bike shop if you asked for that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    _Brun_ wrote:

No, me neither.

Although they probably wonder how those Taiwanese chaps that make their frames pronounce the brand names, too :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Colnago?
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    edited May 2011
    It's Kilo-metre by the way NOT Kil-oh-mitt-er. You wouldn't say Kil-oh-grmme. And when you're talking about mooring your boat it's a bouy (boy) not a boo-eee. The word comes from the bouy's ability to float or be bouyant not booeeeant.

And a mountain pass in Scotland is a Bealach, that's three syllables, Be-ah-lach not two, Bee-lach. Even heard a Scotsman get that wrong the other day.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Is it acceptable to describe bontragers as Botties, or should I be shot for simply asking to buy them?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    prj45 wrote:
    Is it acceptable to describe bontragers as Botties, or should I be shot for simply asking to buy them?

Bonty.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Just had to ask for Fizik bar tape in Cycle Surgery. I tried it as both "fizik" and "physique" but either way they didn't have any.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Condor have never been big in France. Not surprisingly since the name translates as "Golden Tw@t".
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Condor have never been big in France. Not surprisingly since the name translates as "Golden Tw@t".

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173

or just Condor, which is the same in french as in english. golden tw@t could also be con en or, or con dore
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Surely if 'con' is "twit" then it's con d'or. Like the golden ball or ballon d'or.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • OK, a couple of others for the group:

Roubaix - Roo-bay?
    Hincapie - Just seems something I might need to know how to say quite soon.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Greg66 wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

I've always said vel-lotch-chey. Now you mention it, I'm defo going to go with the whole "Mamma mia!" thing too. I'll also talk very loudy, very quickly, and waive my arms about extravagently.

Don't forget the moustache...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhuOicP ... re=related
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    What about Trek's Madone series.......?

Is it "mad wun" or "maddowne" ???
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    In answer to some of the queries:
    Colnago - Col-nya-go
    Roubaix - Roo-bay
    Veloce - Vell-o-chay
    Madone - Drug taking American cheat's bike

Now: what about this one: Gilet - I'd call it a Gee-lay (a la Francais) (and I know there should be a grave accent and a cadilla (sp?) in there)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    SecretSam wrote:
    Madone - Drug taking American cheat's bike *
    :lol::lol::lol:

* allegedly
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If I were making a fool of myself by mis-pronouncing a word or brand name, I wouldn't like being corrected at the time, but in the long term I'd be grateful.

I can't remember what film I saw it in, but a woman went into a shop asking for a Gukky handbag when she actually meant Goochi (Gucci).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!