Pronunciation in cycling

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Kurako wrote:

Just think of stuff with the same spelling which you know how to say. Footballers and food normally...

Plough, cough, through. Take a bow, or use a bow and arrow.

What a stupid language we have! Sorry, wott a stupid langwidge we havv.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    SRAM. Ess-ram or sram?

Selle Italia: Sell or selly?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Agent57 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    The gn in Campagnolo is like in gnochi.

Doesn't help, as I've no idea if that's "g-nocky" or "nyocky".

Sounds a bit like a Formula 1 car going past. Nyeee-oh...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Greg66 wrote:
    SRAM. Ess-ram or sram?

As above I would say, although with a short e rather than a long ee.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Match of the day commentators trying to out do each other with this one. Meriales, mm spelling might be a bit dodge, (Liverpool), "Moralesh"? I'm sure he wouldn't mind "Moral es".
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    SRAM. Ess-ram or sram?

I thought it was shram
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Ksyrium, anyone?

And I only recently realised that Fizik is pronounced like physique
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ian.B wrote:
    Ksyrium, anyone?

Silent K, I'll be bound. "Sirium", I guess.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ian.B wrote:
    Ksyrium, anyone?

see-ree-um
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Ian.B wrote:

Ooh thanks! Going into Condor tomorrow and want some Fizik bar tape. Was going to pronounce it Fitzik as though it was a german name. Lucky save there.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited May 2011
    Allez Mark wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    SRAM. Ess-ram or sram?

I thought it was shram

On the videos for Competitive Cyclist the pronounce it 'Sram' (as one syllable) so I'm going with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXD5quDiDF4

In fact, that vid includes pronunciations of Sram, Selle and Ksyrium
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ian.B wrote:

Ooh thanks! Going into Condor tomorrow and want some Fizik bar tape. Was going to pronounce it Fitzik as though it was a german name. Lucky save there.

The logo of Fizik is actually the phonetic spelling of physique using the international phonetic alphabet.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Cervello should be pronounced chur-vello. It's completely unreasonable of me to object to it so I don't correct people, it just sounds horrible to me otherwise. But that's my problem and I would never belittle someone for pronouncing it according to the English rules. I'm half Italian and spoke Italian before I spoke English. You should not be corrected in a bike shop.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Cervello should be pronounced chur-vello. It's completely unreasonable of me to object to it so I don't correct people, it just sounds horrible to me otherwise. But that's my problem and I would never belittle someone for pronouncing it according to the English rules. I'm half Italian and spoke Italian before I spoke English. You should not be corrected in a bike shop.

It's French Canadian, rather than Italian I think, so French pronunciation would be correct.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:

It's not Italian though, it's Canadian. Or am I missing something?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    Good job I've never corrected anyone in person. Ooops.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

it is french canadian, and the name is a play on words, a portmanteau of the french word for brain (cervelle - to show how techy and clever the bike is) and velo (french for bike, obviously), so the proper pronunciation is actually s-air-velo (the french cer is pronounced like air not like sir)
  • veronese68
    Good job I couldn't afford to ask about one. I feel very silly after getting up on a high horse. Long way to fall and I landed on my head.
  • veronese68
    In my defence cervello is the Italian word for brain. That would be a silly name for a bike though.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Robstar24 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

it is french canadian, and the name is a play on words, a portmanteau of the french word for brain (cervelle - to show how techy and clever the bike is) and velo (french for bike, obviously), so the proper pronunciation is actually s-air-velo (the french cer is pronounced like air not like sir)

Cervelo the company is Canadian, based in Toronto originally, IIRC. Of the co-founders, Gerard Vrooman is Dutch and moved to Canada as a post-grad, and Phil White is vanilla Canadian. Cervelo is a combination of the Italian word for brain (cervello) and the French word for bike (velo).

See here http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/Cervelo% ... %20'09.pdf

Veronese68 FTW!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What about "Continental"?

Should it be pronounced as it reads to us on this side of the Channel, or "Contee-nen-taaaaal" as that chap on the Champions League progs says?

And is it "Sidi" or "See-dee", like the Eurosport bloke?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I always like Phil Liggett's pronounciation of Team Liquid Gas. Leaky Gas.
  • bails87
    SRAM is definitely just "sram", not shram, not ESS-ram. I'm sure there's a guide in the faq on their website.
    MTB/CX

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    cjcp wrote:
    What about "Continental"?

Should it be pronounced as it reads to us on this side of the Channel, or "Contee-nen-taaaaal" as that chap on the Champions League progs says?

And is it "Sidi" or "See-dee", like the Eurosport bloke?

I make a point of pronouncing Michelin (mish-shel-lin) as meesh'l'n, with a gravelly finish. Especially when I'm smoking a Gauloises and sipping a Martini in a classy bar, easing the ice apart with a dead classy (there's no "r" in that "classy") burd.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    It's not just bike or foreign words either; I am being annoyed beyond all rationality by an advert that goes on about something called 'liquor-iss'. Surely the correct way to say liquorice is 'lick-or-ISH', anything else is just poncy! I don't like change at my age, and still haven't come to terms with Marathon being Snickers.....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:
    Robstar24 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    spor-tivv
    sir-vello
    Cam-pagg-nolo
    Pinn-erello
    Kee-oh

all correct apart from no hard g in campagnolo - it's cam-pa-niolo

Not in my house.

It's definitely supposed to be camp-a-nyolo. Just like Bianchi is bian-key, not bian-chee.... Oh and paella is pa-ye-ya not pa-yella....!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Nestles was always pronounced Ness-ulls in the Milky Bar ads way back when, then around the early 80s some poncey oik decided that we all have to pretend to be foreign and pronounce it nes-lay. Pull the other one Marcel. It's ness-ulls over here. Always was. Always will be.

Bianchi could only ever be bee-ank-ee. There's only one way to pronounce ch.

Toodle-pip.
    Chris [not shris.]

Edit - the one that gets me is the way we've all moved away from a garage being a garr-idge to it being a gur-arge. WTF? And now I hear pasta [pass-tah] referred to as parz-tuh. What's going on?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Meh ever since I heard a competition on German radio where one could win a "yaooarr" car, I've failed to get too excited about correct pronunciation of foreign words. Where do you draw the line?

Who here makes an effort to pronounce "dura ace" "ultegra" etc with the authentic Japanese accent?

What do you do about "105"?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Dubonnet is the french for 'of the front of a car' by the way. And Moi aussi means 'I am an Australian'

Not cycling relevant, but since we were getting all continental I thought I'd throw it in.

French Navy has a new motto by the way, 'A l'eau! c'est l'heur!'
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    CiB wrote:
    Nestles was always pronounced Ness-ulls in the Milky Bar ads way back when, then around the early 80s some poncey oik decided that we all have to pretend to be foreign and pronounce it nes-lay. Pull the other one Marcel. It's ness-ulls over here. Always was. Always will be.

Bianchi could only ever be bee-ank-ee. There's only one way to pronounce ch.

Toodle-pip.
    Chris [not shris.]

Edit - the one that gets me is the way we've all moved away from a garage being a garr-idge to it being a gur-arge. WTF? And now I hear pasta [pass-tah] referred to as parz-tuh. What's going on?

GA-rarge? Nice midpoint.

The pasta one is surely just people taking the pizz?

As for "nestles".....do you mean nestlé?
    MTB/CX