Pronunciation in cycling

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone else scared of making a tit of themselves in the bike shop?

Sportive? Pronounced spor-tivv or spor-teev?

Cervelo? Chur-vello, sir-vello, chur-veelo, sir-veelo?

Campagnolo? Cam-pagg-nolo or campai-nolo?

Pinerello? Pinn-erello or pee-nerello?

Keo? Kee-oh or kay-oh?

There will be many others that have slipped my confused mind.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spor-tivv
    sir-vello
    Cam-pagg-nolo
    Pinn-erello
    Kee-oh
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

Keo? Kee-oh or kay-oh?

You're the one with the bulging wallet...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SPOR-teev
    sir-VELL-o
    campan-YO-lo (or just CAM-pag)
    PIN-er-REL-o
    KEE-oh

for me
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Asprilla wrote:
    spor-tivv
    sir-vello
    Cam-pagg-nolo
    Pinn-erello
    Kee-oh

all correct apart from no hard g in campagnolo - it's cam-pa-niolo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was in a tiny bike shop in Siena fully of gorgeous bikes when my pronunciation of Bianchi was indignantly corrected. Apparently its "Bian-kee" and not "Bian-chee" as I had thought for years :?
  • jonny_trousers

Keo? Kee-oh or kay-oh?

You're the one with the bulging wallet...

Ha! I just want to be able to talk the talk with the big boys without them laughing at me.

Thanks so far guys. I see there is a little disagreement, though. I guess it's about whether it's acceptable to Anglicise foreign words and names or not (for me it's not, but I equally don't want to look pretentious).
  • jonny_trousers
    notsoblue wrote:
    I was in a tiny bike shop in Siena fully of gorgeous bikes when my pronunciation of Bianchi was indignantly corrected. Apparently its "Bian-kee" and not "Bian-chee" as I had thought for years :?

Ah yes! That's another that has troubled me. Thanks for settling it!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Robstar24 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    spor-tivv
    sir-vello
    Cam-pagg-nolo
    Pinn-erello
    Kee-oh

all correct apart from no hard g in campagnolo - it's cam-pa-niolo

Not in my house.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Johhny - If I'm in a good mood and I get corrected in a bikeshop I tend to play the foreign card.

If I'm irritable it's some comment like "Isn't the customer always right?" *tilts head a little to the right and stares*

They shouldn't be correcting anyone's pronounciation
  • jonny_trousers
    I'm not even sure about my own road bike which is a Veneto. Could be Ven-ett-to could be Ven-ee-to. Let's call the whole thing off?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    When in Halfords you request a a BO! Ard-Man
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If I'm spending that kind of money and the LBS corrects my pronunciation , I may go somewhere else. That being said sometimes I play dumb just to see if the salesman knows what they are talking about or is indeed bullshitting me.

It's amazing just how many salesman work on the principle that the customer knows less than them, therefor it doesn't matter if they get it wrong. Best one recently was a sales person in a well know chain of bikeshops (not Halfords the other one), who spent ages talking to me about which road bike he would choose and why and then didn't know how a presta valve worked when pumping the tyres up so I could go for a test ride, I had already worked him out by then but it was fun playing some more.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Thanks so far guys. I see there is a little disagreement, though. I guess it's about whether it's acceptable to Anglicise foreign words and names or not (for me it's not, but I equally don't want to look pretentious).

So if you were to talk about the capital city of France, would you say "Paree"?
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • jonny_trousers
    lardboy wrote:

No, hence the 'pretentious' comment. It's never straight forward is it? Do you refer to your commuter as a Croiks de Fur?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Keo? Kee-oh or kay-oh?

Erm, it's Pinarello, not Pinerello...

:roll:
  • jonny_trousers
    To be fair on those who work in bike shops, it's often the clued-up, super helpful ones who treat like you are one of them who I am more nervous of revealing myself as an idiot to.
  • lardboy
    lardboy wrote:

No, hence the 'pretentious' comment. It's never straight forward is it? Do you refer to your commuter as a Croiks de Fur?

Nah. Usually I talk about the bloody heavy thing that won't stop because the brakes are pants.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    IIRC, you tend to stress the second to last syllable in Italian; gn is pronounced as 'ny', as in agnello (lamb). C is a bit more complicated: as a hard c if followed by a, o or c, but as ch if followed by i or e. ch is always a hard c or k, hence 'BianKi'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    lardboy wrote:

No - cities and countries are exempt if already anglicised. Braun is 'Brown' though even if it has been anglicised to 'Brawn' even in their own commercials....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Italian names are a dawdle if you know the rules. The trick is mainly in knowing when a 'c' or 'g' is a hard or soft sound. There's no funny stuff like in English to catch you out.

Just think of stuff with the same spelling which you know how to say. Footballers and food normally...

The gn in Campagnolo is like in gnochi.

Actually gnochi is a good one since it also covers 'ch' as in Bianchi.
  • notsoblue
    lardboy wrote:
    Nah. Usually I talk about the bloody heavy thing that won't stop because the brakes are pants.

Off Topic: Really? I was looking at getting a "Croiks de fur" for the winter.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Kurako wrote:
    Italian names are a dawdle if you know the rules. The trick is mainly in knowing when a 'c' or 'g' is a hard or soft sound. There's no funny stuff like in English to catch you out.

Just think of stuff with the same spelling which you know how to say. Footballers and food normally...

+1
  • jonny_trousers
    notsoblue wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Off my own topic, but there are a couple of really nice looking Kona options following a similar spec worth checking out (But only if you promise to wear a helmet :wink: )
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mmmmm.....gnochi....
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Off my own topic, but there are a couple of really nice looking Kona options following a similar spec worth checking out (But only if you promise to wear a helmet :wink: )

Yep yep, quite a few bikes like that around and the Kona Honky is nice. But I like the look of the "Croiks". And even though I do usually wear a helmet, it would be nice to know that it'll brake properly. ;)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Kurako wrote:

How do Italians pronounce 'Shimano'?

Is it 'P-tooey!'
  • ballspondroad
    ballspondroad Posts: 181
    And is it SHI-ma-no or shi-MA-no ? Is that 'no' an English 'no' or a 'nu' ?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Kurako wrote:

Doesn't help, as I've no idea if that's "g-nocky" or "nyocky".
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    And is it SHI-ma-no or shi-MA-no ? Is that 'no' an English 'no' or a 'nu' ?

I think the Japanese say 'SEE-MAN-no'
  • lardboy
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Yep yep, quite a few bikes like that around and the Kona Honky is nice. But I like the look of the "Croiks". And even though I do usually wear a helmet, it would be nice to know that it'll brake properly. ;)

I've had a devil of a time with my brakes. I rear-ended a car because I reached for them and got nothing more than a gentle slowdown when I needed an emergency stop. I've since got a little more out of them, after having a look at the cable ends and discovering that they hadn't been finished properly. 2 mins with a file at either end, job done.

I spent £80 and a couple of hours this weekend trying to fit an Avid BB7 on the front, only to find that the supplied rotor bolts have too big a head and so clash with the fork.

You're welcome to have a play with the bike if you want. I'm just down by Fenchurch St, so you're not that far away.