Nodderpocalypse Now!

123457»

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Cable Street is / was an absolute bastard as a cyclist. Pedestrians walking in the cycle lane, cars turning on and off without looking, inconsistent junction design and nodders / rodders galore. If I'd been a roadie back then I'd rather have been on the Highway.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    MrSweary wrote:
    Cable Street is / was an absolute bastard as a cyclist. Pedestrians walking in the cycle lane, cars turning on and off without looking, inconsistent junction design and nodders / rodders galore. If I'd been a roadie back then I'd rather have been on the Highway.

It's yet to get to its full horror at the mo (give it a month or so) but at some point I'll have to give the highway and commercial road a go.

Trouble is I'm going with the rush hour flow (from east to west in the morning, west to east in the evening) so the highway is pretty packed with cars to be honest, and commercial road takes me out of my way a bit as I need to get on the embankment.

Still gonna try :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When I'm instructing, I usually give the kids the answer to just about every question I will ask them.
    e.g.
    Q: Before you put your bike in the road, what should you do?
    Q: After you set your pedals, what is the last thing you do before setting off?
    Q: Before turning left what do you have to do?
    Q: Before turning right what do you have to do?
    Q: Before you do a U-turn, what do you have to do?
    Q: As you are doing a U-turn, what do you have to do?
    Q: After you have completed a U-turn, what do you have to do?
    Q: When you have entered a new road after completing a turn at a junction, what do you have to do?
    Q: Before you change your position in the road, what do you have to do?

A: Look.

I also tell them that they are responsible for their own safety.
    They should never rely on someone else saying that it is safe to go (we ride in a 'snake' of kids and they are supposed to check it is safe before moving off, before turning, before pulling in etc).

They usually start to get it after four or five days.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I never tried Commercial Road but i hear it is a nightmare for cars pulling out on you / left hooks.

As you say the Highway isn't fun when it is a traffic jam.

I used to just go along the river and through Shadwell Basin via lock paths to Waitrose and up from there. Slower, but pretty and much better for my heart rate!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    MrSweary wrote:

It's yet to get to its full horror at the mo (give it a month or so) but at some point I'll have to give the highway and commercial road a go.

Trouble is I'm going with the rush hour flow (from east to west in the morning, west to east in the evening) so the highway is pretty packed with cars to be honest, and commercial road takes me out of my way a bit as I need to get on the embankment.

Still gonna try :)
    I used to take the highway at peak times after I got taken out 2x by cars on CS3. It's ok in the morning if you can hold a decent pace, make sure that you are in the middle of the lane so nobody can "squeeze" in next to you. On the way back is always packed but still much faster(and IMO safer) than CS3.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Cheers ill give the highway and maybe the other way mr sweary mentioned a go