Nodderpocalypse Now!

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    NGale wrote:
    DDD: was with you up to the point of the 'brain bucket' helmets (or wee-wee pots as I have heard them called)

I personally prefer them to a 'regular' cycle helmets, sit on the head better (especially the bern ones), feel more comfortable and I personally find no issue when it comes to ventilation. I also have a stupidly large head (61cm) and regular cycle helmets never seem to fit right.

Ironically I also find my bern helmet lighter than regular cycle helmets and for some reason I feel a little more protected in them.
    Evil_Monkey_by_Smi4450.png
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    DDD: was with you up to the point of the 'brain bucket' helmets (or wee-wee pots as I have heard them called)

I personally prefer them to a 'regular' cycle helmets, sit on the head better (especially the bern ones), feel more comfortable and I personally find no issue when it comes to ventilation. I also have a stupidly large head (61cm) and regular cycle helmets never seem to fit right.

Ironically I also find my bern helmet lighter than regular cycle helmets and for some reason I feel a little more protected in them.
    Evil_Monkey_by_Smi4450.png

Hey could be worse, I could be like a lot of cyclists in Exeter and not bother with a helmet, ride an ill maintained bike, jump red lights, ride with no lights at night and text while cycling.

I see this a lot in Exeter :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NGale - Were you in Exeter just after Christmas? Few of us cycled down from London (with Boris Bike) raising some money for ABF and were collecting in Princesshay around 5/6 (exact date cant be sure 29th I think)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    coriordan wrote:
    NGale - Were you in Exeter just after Christmas? Few of us cycled down from London (with Boris Bike) raising some money for ABF and were collecting in Princesshay around 5/6 (exact date cant be sure 29th I think)

I was in and around Exeter during that week, but didn't get a chance to get into town as I was helping out the RMA with some fund raising here and there. :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Lots of the fcukers this morning, yeah jam the cycle lane and leave the asl 90% empty so I have to wait and wait and wait (did I say I had to wait) for you to pull wobbly away only for me to go past you within a second I had some space until the next red light when you brushing past me and do exactly the same thing.

Time to break out the cattle prod!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've seen a new development - sprinting nodders. They pull away from the lights with a strange nodding sprint that looks like a really inefficient way of getting up to speed. Most bizarre was one I pulled past three times. One of the times I couldn't work out how he'd gotten there ahead of me.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    You've been scalped by a nodder!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    Repeatadly :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Meh, I'm looking forward to next year's blockbuster "Nodderdependence Day!"
    Noddergeddon!

Riding alongside heavy traffic doesn't faze me. Riding amongst a group of cyclists with no discipline or awareness, all hellbent on being the fastest scares the bejesus out of me!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    merkin wrote:
    You've been scalped by a nodder!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    Repeatadly :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

nonononnonononnononoonnooonononononooooo

Technically...
    First time I saw - I caught up with him but stayed behind at ASL as only polite.
    second time was when after leaving him well behind he seemed to be ahead of me at lights
    third time was a different route (I turn off right as I don't think a certain turn is allowed by bikes or cars).

At this point I left him behind and didn't see him again. :P
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The sun is out. Nodderpocalypse 2013 has started.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Last year was Nodderpocalypse and the year before was Noddergeddon. This year needs a new name.

Nodderblivion.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    On the plus side, it means it'll be Tit Monday soon. Maybe it's Boobie Tuesday (that popular Rolling Stones track) already.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its good to see so many new riders (when I say new riders I mean women).

As long as they dont do anything that endangers me, carry on. I doubt many of them will last past september.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    rubertoe wrote:
    Its good to see so many new riders (when I say new riders I mean women).

As long as they dont do anything that endangers me, carry on. I doubt many of them will last past Thursday.

FTFY
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Is 'nodder' a defined term? Do we need a new one for roadies who are reasonably fast but dangerous as hell because they have the road awareness skills of a hedgehog?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    MrSweary wrote:
    Is 'nodder' a defined term? Do we need a new one for roadies who are reasonably fast but dangerous as hell because they have the road awareness skills of a hedgehog?

rodder? rodders? (as in plonker :P )
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    MrSweary wrote:
    I have certainly been known to roll across the road in a ball in extreme situations, but I should stress that it wasn't my lack of road awareness causing it...

Anyway, the appropriate neologism for this thread is actually "snobbercalypse".
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's a bit different for me though. It's so rare to see other cyclists when I'm commuting and almost unheard of to have them travelling in the same direction that a few new riders who are slower than me (I hope!) would be kind of good.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MrSweary
    bompington wrote:
    Anyway, the appropriate neologism for this thread is actually "snobbercalypse".

My point exactly. I'd prefer a catch all term for sh*t, inconsiderate riding. However, thinking of 'He who is without sin...' and all that, I'll let someone else come up with it!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The sun is out. Nodderpocalypse 2013 has started.

40mph winds up here - hardly seen another bike. That's a surprise because, despite the wind, the roadworks on the bridge meant that I saw my neighbour in her car twice on my ride - at mile 6 and 7 miles later at mile 13. She may have been quicker on the other 10 miles but she did do a bit of a double-take to see me a second time. Of course, thanks to the unique attitude towards bikes by Transport Scotland, I actually had to ride nearly 2 miles further than she had to drive despite her workplace being next door to mine... :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fatherhood means that I've been forced to lap RP much later in the day than I would normally for the last week or so. F*ck me but it's silly busy at weekends now. Was out Sat and Sun and never seen so many cyclists (or so much team Sky kit!). Some appalling riding and driving to be seen. Sad to say but I fear there will be a head on between a car and cyclist soon, lots of silly overtaking going on.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    There was some Sky sportive on on Saturday which added to the volume in Richmond Park, and out to the Surrey Lanes.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    I did a couple of laps on Saturday at about 9:30... won't be doing that again for a while.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Nah this was nothing organised, there's just a lot of Sky kit about these days.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nah this was nothing organised, there's just a lot of Sky kit about these days.

Does that mean I am going to have to boil on the way home in a LS jersey rather than my Sky jersey?

:roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    MrSweary wrote:

Triathlete?
  • MrSweary
    BigMat wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Triathlete?

:lol:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • The work bike shed is filled to the brim with shiny, never seen before bikes of all descriptions that were clearly bought in the latest c2w scheme (it last ran for two weeks in November). :roll:

As a side note it will open up again for me in May :D:D:D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    If one of them just shoulder checked once in a while I would be happy, or stopped pulling front of me at junctions, over taking people over and over again gets tiring
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Paul E wrote:
    If one of them just shoulder checked once in a while I would be happy, or stopped pulling front of me at junctions, over taking people over and over again gets tiring

I'd be happy if one of them just stopped at a f*cking pedestrian crossing once in a while...you know, like today when a mother was pushing her pram across...

F**KING CABLE STREET CS3 YOU C**T!!!!! YOU MADE ME THINK YOU WEREN'T GONNA BE AS BAD AS LAST YEAR THEN TONIGHT YOU REMINDED ME YOU'RE FULL OF ****S!!!!

:P

I'm actually pretty chilled out most of the time - dont worry I rarely get wound up on the road, no point. Just some things really annoy me, thats one of them.

My wife works at the infant school off cable street, cyclists have a terrible, terrible reputation among teachers and parents, and I can see why. They're not all bad of course but I just wish people would think a bit more before doing certain things...

...and regarding the nodder vs rodder argument (trying to make name that stick :) ) the casual, fairweather nodder is by far the worst culprit in my experience, though it probably depends on the time of day I suppose as I get the impression the roadie types mostly are out early?